PDA

View Full Version : Racist apartments I live in

BacktoBasics
05-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Well I had been wondering why all the blacks are in one section and the messicans and whites in another. Come to find out our apartment complex specifically organizes the buildings for segregation when possible. The guy who lives below me said they've been making this transaction over the last 5 years (he works in the office). First off why would anyone wanna live here for 5 years and B, I like it.

Apparently its cut down on crime and police calls significantly. The figure is apparantly astronimical to the tune of over 80% less police activity. Its like a minature version of New York. All the black people live in Apt B,C and F. Messican and white folk live in A, D and G. Bible chuckers and yeah there are a few live in building E. I guess they figure people aren't smart enough to catch on with the one or two odd sore thumbs when a specific section is full and the tenant has to be set up in different building.

The three black buildings only have 2 hispanic families total.

There are 8 apartments in my building and 6 are white. 5 of which are Nascar fans.

The bible thumpers were calling left and right about some people smoking pot at night on the steps and when stoners lease neared the end they moved 4 families at a discount to a building where apparently they're are regular smokers and possibly a low end pot dealer (fingers crossed).

They were even smart enough to put all the religious types in the buildings closest to the street and gate so they don't end up having to drive though the complex to get home. This cuts down on all of their complaining based on the thought that they can't complain about what they don't see.

All this info is gathered during a short interview over the application masked with small talk before the lease is written.

This is what I call Managing a property.

dickface
05-09-2008, 09:55 AM
everybody's just a little bit racist, no matter how much they want to deny it. It's best to embrace that and use it to our advantage.

We can have more peace & love amongst people of all colors as long as we admit that we like our own race a little bit better.

Mister Sinister
05-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Oh, wow. I love racism. Not in the sense that I'm a racist, but in the sense that I think it's ridiculous and stupid almost to the point of being funny.

BonnerDynasty
05-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Oh, wow. I love racism. Not in the sense that I'm a racist, but in the sense that I think it's ridiculous and stupid almost to the point of being funny.

Ridiculous and stupid is people not being able to live amongst others.

Realist > Racist

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't want to live there.

dickface
05-09-2008, 10:09 AM

So these apartment managers find a way to reduce crime & police calls, keep all their customers happy, and still treat everyone like equals, and you think it's "ridiculous" and "stupid"?

Mister Sinister
05-09-2008, 10:11 AM
So these apartment managers find a way to reduce crime & police calls, keep all their customers happy, and still treat everyone like equals, and you think it's "ridiculous" and "stupid"?
This, specifically? Not really. Racism as an abstract concept? Yeah.

Mister Sinister
05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Ridiculous and stupid is people not being able to live amongst others.

Realist > Racist
I agree.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
everybody's just a little bit racist, no matter how much they want to deny it. It's best to embrace that and use it to our advantage.

We can have more peace & love amongst people of all colors as long as we admit that we like our own race a little bit better.

Everybody is NOT just a little bit racist. The suggestion that they/we are just acts as justification for some of the really ugly shit that happens in this country at a personal and institutional level.

dickface
05-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Everybody is NOT just a little bit racist.

Keep tellin yourself that.

In a perfect world we wouldn't have to admit such things. But this isn't a perfect world. And I'm not talking "all white people think they're superior to all other races, and should go around telling everybody so".....i'm talking "white folk feel more comfortable around other white folk, black folk with black, etc."

Sportcamper
05-09-2008, 10:15 AM
I bet the NASCAR section get pretty rowdy with all that beer drinking & non stop Days of Thunder & Talladega Nights DVD's playing non stop…

dickface
05-09-2008, 10:17 AM
I approve of the apartment management just like I approve of Affirmative Action. It's slight racism used to prevent larger, uglier racism.

JoeChalupa

In a perfect world we wouldn't have to admit such things. But this isn't a perfect world. And I'm not talking "all white people think they're superior to all other races, and should go around telling everybody so".....i'm talking "white folk feel more comfortable around other white folk, black folk with black, etc."

I concur. :tu

dickface
I bet the NASCAR section get pretty rowdy with all that beer drinking & non stop Days of Thunder & Talladega Nights DVD's playing non stop…

rofl

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I approve of the apartment management just like I approve of Affirmative Action. It's slight racism used to prevent larger, uglier racism.

So then you'd be okay with segregated communities? Not that they don't still exist.

Don't want to turn this political though. I'm done.

dickface
05-09-2008, 10:19 AM
so if he were to rent here, which building would Derek Jeter live in?

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 10:20 AM
so if he were to rent here, which building would Derek Jeter live in?

The "Herpes" building.

dickface
05-09-2008, 10:23 AM
So then you'd be okay with segregated communities? Not that they don't still exist.

Don't want to turn this political though. I'm done.

It depends on how segregated. Like these apartments aren't all that segregated, all races are still welcome to live there. They just use what they know of human nature to make things more peaceful.

It would be a lot trickier with entire communities tho. Probably impossible.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 10:23 AM

Unfortunately, that is true more often than not, but I personally know several people who don't feel that way.

The problem I have with the statement that "everyone is a little bit racist" is that it implies that racism is ingrained in our DNA -- that it is biologically determined, and biologically unavoidable. That simply isn't the case. Racism (sexism, ageism, heterosexism, ableism, and on and on) is a choice, and I don't think that fact should be swept under the rug and ignored.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 10:28 AM

Affirmative Action isn't slight racism, as it addresses issues outside of just race. I can't remember where I read this, so I don't have a link, but it's been shown that Affirmative Action policies have been overwhelmingly beneficial to women, rather that to any one particular race.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Unfortunately, that is true more often than not, but I personally know several people who don't feel that way.

The problem I have with the statement that "everyone is a little bit racist" is that it implies that racism is ingrained in our DNA -- that it is biologically determined, and biologically unavoidable. That simply isn't the case. Racism (sexism, ageism, heterosexism, ableism, and on and on) is a choice, and I don't think that fact should be swept under the rug and ignored.

It may be a choice but I do feel we are all born with "sin" and how one is raised is the key. Racism, IMO, is formed by our surroundings and upbringing but I also feel that ALL of us will at one time or another have feelings that while we may not think they are racially biased they are. I know I'm guilty of it.
We all have the choice to do the right thing but that doesn't mean we have to.

Okay..now I'm done.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 10:30 AM
And I also don't believe that homosexuality is a "choice". The sexual activity may be a choice but not being homosexual.

dickface
05-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Affirmative Action isn't slight racism, as it addresses issues outside of just race. I can't remember where I read this, so I don't have a link, but it's been shown that Affirmative Action policies have been overwhelmingly beneficial to women, rather that to any one particular race.

Oh it's most definitely racist. Forcing employers to have a certain percentage of "minority" races regardless of if a white person is more qualified.....that's racism. But it's a small form of racism that helps prevent the large scale racism of the Good Ol Boy network.

If it addresses women too then it means it's also slightly sexist, along with racist. But again, it's the better of two evils.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 10:36 AM
We all have the choice to do the right thing but that doesn't mean we have to.

No, we don't have to, but that doesn't mean I have to stop hoping for a day when we all strive to.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 10:37 AM
And I also don't believe that homosexuality is a "choice". The sexual activity may be a choice but not being homosexual.

Neither do I, but I don't see how it's pertinent to the conversation.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh it's most definitely racist. Forcing employers to have a certain percentage of "minority" races regardless of if a white person is more qualified.....that's racism. But it's a small form of racism that helps prevent the large scale racism of the Good Ol Boy network.

If it addresses women too then it means it's also slightly sexist, along with racist. But again, it's the better of two evils.

You should read up on Affirmative Action. It is not, as most people assume, a quota system in which qualified candidates are being passed over.

Of course, I'm sure there are individual instances where this has happened -- any policy/practice is going to be subject to abuse and misinterpretation -- but that's not how the actual policy was written.

Mister Sinister
05-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Cut off a branch to spare the tree?

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Neither do I, but I don't see how it's pertinent to the conversation.

Because, IMO, I do believe that we are all born with some racism but we have a choice as to how we deal with it.

dickface
05-09-2008, 10:44 AM
The problem I have with the statement that "everyone is a little bit racist"

Maybe instead of that, I think what I'm trying to say is that we live in a racist society and racism has been part of all of our upbringings (not that we're taught to be racist, just that it's something we all know about & see on an almost daily basis). Knowing that about our society, we might as well do what we can to keep things peaceful. Instead of being overly sensitive about it, just accept things for how they are and work the system to try cutting off at least the worst forms of racism. And then hopefully one day we don't have to do any of this at all.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 10:44 AM
No, we don't have to, but that doesn't mean I have to stop hoping for a day when we all strive to.

I have the same hope as you do.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Maybe instead of that, I think what I'm trying to say is that we live in a racist society and racism has been part of all of our upbringings (not that we're taught to be racist, just that it's something we all know about & see on an almost daily basis). Knowing that about our society, we might as well do what we can to keep things peaceful. Instead of being overly sensitive about it, just accept things for how they are and work the system to try cutting off at least the worst forms of racism. And then hopefully one day we don't have to do any of this at all.

Racism is taught though. Not all the time and maybe not specifically but if a child's parents make racist remarks they will pick up on it.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Because, IMO, I do believe that we are all born with some racism but we have a choice as to how we deal with it.

Well, there we definitely disagree. I don't think there's anything on a biological level that causes us to hate or fear people based on ethnicity or nationality. Personal prejudice is definitely in the nurture column, not nature, in my opinion.

u2sarajevo
05-09-2008, 10:50 AM
This sounds less racist to me and more problem management. I agree it looks bad to segregate the buildings though.

I wonder if this practice is widespread? Like a hushed way of keeping your apartment complex less out of control? I find the crime thing to be a little hard to believe though. Why would that keep a criminal from doing crime because the community is segregated?

dickface
05-09-2008, 10:52 AM
You should read up on Affirmative Action. It is not, as most people assume, a quota system in which qualified candidates are being passed over.

Of course, I'm sure there are individual instances where this has happened -- any policy/practice is going to be subject to abuse and misinterpretation -- but that's not how the actual policy was written.

The original Affirmative Action order may not have had quotas attached to it but if you don't think quotas are being used extensively, you're crazy. And the policies found within it are definitely racist/sexist. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

dickface
05-09-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't think there's anything on a biological level that causes us to hate or fear people based on ethnicity or nationality.

Well the entire history of humanity disagrees.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Well the entire history of humanity disagrees.

Does it, really? I must have missed the irrefutable proof that our collective history of hatred and injustice was caused by biology.

dickface
05-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Does it, really? I must have missed the irrefutable proof that our collective history of hatred and injustice was caused by biology.

I suppose it's also not in the biology of a lion to hunt and kill. Doesn't matter that that's all the lion has done in it's entire history.

BacktoBasics
05-09-2008, 11:30 AM
each patio/balcony has its own shrine to their favorite driver. 3 Tony Stewart patios and counting.

clambake
05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
ahhh, the sweet mellow sound of banjo's in the air, and empty skoal containers littering the ground.

BacktoBasics
05-09-2008, 11:46 AM
At some point our society turned opinion and likes/dislikes into something racist. If 90% of the black people I come into contact with smell like fritos then I can't help it that most black people smell like fritos, its just the way they are, how is it racist if its factual?

The point is that racism isn't completely taught or by choice its the fact that we turned non racist shit into racism thats the problem. We turned behavior patterns and the ability to point out the obvious into something considered to be biggotry because people don't like other people to point out their shortcomings....especially if it applies to the majority.

monosylab1k
05-09-2008, 11:53 AM
At some point our society turned opinion and likes/dislikes into something racist. If 90% of the black people I come into contact with smell like fritos then I can't help it that most black people smell like fritos, its just the way they are, how is it racist if its factual?

The point is that racism isn't completely taught or by choice its the fact that we turned non racist shit into racism thats the problem. We turned behavior patterns and the ability to point out the obvious into something considered to be biggotry because people don't like other people to point out their shortcomings....especially if it applies to the majority.

This is why BacktoBasics is my life coach. Although I haven't actually paid him yet.

BacktoBasics
05-09-2008, 11:55 AM
This is why BacktoBasics is my life coach. Although I haven't actually paid him yet.
Your attendance is payment enough

SAGambler
05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Racism is taught though. Not all the time and maybe not specifically but if a child's parents make racist remarks they will pick up on it.

Blame the parents? How about blaming societies and to some extent governments?

Call it racism, sexism, or bias, it all boils down to one thing. One person or persons don't like another group of persons or person.

The Turks hate the Greeks. I am a Turk, therefore in my society, it is imperative that I hate all Greeks. That is the education I got in Turkey. You have only to look at New York City to find almost everyone hates another group that lives in the same city, and this is mostly from feelings and emotions that were inbred for years and years and years. Germans hated the Jews. And did everything they could to rid the world of them.

And since all this hate against other groups has been going on since the rise of man, I doubt we can look forward to it ending anytime in the near future.

Evan
05-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Interesting

I lived at a complex where families and older people were all on one side of the complex and the younger and single people where on the other. Each side even had its own pool.

Don Quixote
05-09-2008, 12:23 PM

I'm with PangDussy here. I'm pretty sure we learn these things. To suggest that it's "hardwired" into us suggests either (a) that's it's okay to be a racist, or (b) that we're mere machines and it doesn't make a difference. A rational person would have problems with either option.

I try to look at people as people. Which is what God intended.

to21
05-09-2008, 01:36 PM
:lmao

Holy Shit!!

Thanks, now I have to clean my monitor of soda!!!

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I suppose it's also not in the biology of a lion to hunt and kill. Doesn't matter that that's all the lion has done in it's entire history.

But it is in the lion's biology to hunt and kill (lioness', actually, since they're the hunters) thanks to natural selection -- those who are not biologically/genetically inclined towards hunting probably didn't live long enough to mate and pass on their wussy genes.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Applying it to the majority is what makes it racist, though.

If you've met ten black people and eight of them have been hardened criminals, you can't say that 80% of all black people are hardened criminals; all you can say is that eight of the ten black people you have personally encountered happened to share that trait.

u2sarajevo
05-09-2008, 02:11 PM
When white folks take showers they smell like dogs.

Racist?

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Blame the parents? How about blaming societies and to some extent governments?

Call it racism, sexism, or bias, it all boils down to one thing. One person or persons don't like another group of persons or person.

The Turks hate the Greeks. I am a Turk, therefore in my society, it is imperative that I hate all Greeks. That is the education I got in Turkey. You have only to look at New York City to find almost everyone hates another group that lives in the same city, and this is mostly from feelings and emotions that were inbred for years and years and years. Germans hated the Jews. And did everything they could to rid the world of them.

And since all this hate against other groups has been going on since the rise of man, I doubt we can look forward to it ending anytime in the near future.

I blame them all. But that comes from my own personal experiences. I've seen it.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 02:15 PM

If you've met ten black people and eight of them have been hardened criminals, you can't say that 80% of all black people are hardened criminals; all you can say is that eight of the ten black people you have personally encountered happened to share that trait.

I concur. :tu

BacktoBasics
05-09-2008, 02:24 PM

If you've met ten black people and eight of them have been hardened criminals, you can't say that 80% of all black people are hardened criminals; all you can say is that eight of the ten black people you have personally encountered happened to share that trait.I understand that but if over the course of our entire lives and many generations before us black people acted loudly in public I think its safe to say the majority do. If you see it regularely it becomes the norm. I'm not saying it applies to everyone but there's usually a pattern. I'm obviously speaking about larger volumes here not simply 8 out of 10. Its also regional too.

Dealing with credit for example. I would never say all mexican people have bad credit but I've taken apps from probably well over 4k hispanic people and I've only been able to get a deal written on about 80 a year in the 5 years I've been here. I admit I assume that when a hispanic guy shows up under the age of 45 its likely to be a waste of time because the pattern says so. I can't change or control that. I still work the deal hoping for the best but the proof is in the numbers and thats not racism its indicative of their lifestyles. Thats less than 10% workable deals. I don't think you can hide from consistant facts like that. The more northern they're from the better their credit is. I've noticed that since I was 18 when I first started selling and dealing with credit.

On the flip side I close nearly 80% of people over 55 and white and about 60% of white people in general. I've never ever had a bad application from an Asian or Jew either.

I don't consider myself racist but more of person who actually stops and calculates the odds, I toss out way more qualifying type questions with blacks and hispanics because I play to the pattern so I don't waste mine or theirs time, then I advise them on what to do, almost none will actually listen and take my advice.....but thats a whole different pattern of behavior.

u2sarajevo
05-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Do you charge them for that advice?

Just kidding.

BacktoBasics
05-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Do you charge them for that advice?

Just kidding.No but I should. I can't even begin to tell you how many people drive themselves so deep in a hole that could have easily been avoided if they just stop and listen.

There are actually people who would just rather put 10k down on something and pay 19% interest than pay off the 5k in shitty credit and wait 90 or so days for it to come off and make a purchase at 0 or 10% down with a rate under 10%. People never listen they actually think they're shitty credit will magically disappear after 5 or 7 or 10 years.

There are people who still refuse to actually do the footwork and secure their own financing via their bank because its too much work. Meanwhile pissing away thousands in interest charges.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 02:40 PM
I understand that but if over the course of our entire lives and many generations before us black people acted loudly in public I think its safe to say the majority do. If you see it regularely it becomes the norm. I'm not saying it applies to everyone but there's usually a pattern. I'm obviously speaking about larger volumes here not simply 8 out of 10. Its also regional too.

Dealing with credit for example. I would never say all mexican people have bad credit but I've taken apps from probably well over 4k hispanic people and I've only been able to get a deal written on about 80 a year in the 5 years I've been here. I admit I assume that when a hispanic guy shows up under the age of 45 its likely to be a waste of time because the pattern says so. I can't change or control that. I still work the deal hoping for the best but the proof is in the numbers and thats not racism its indicative of their lifestyles. Thats less than 10% workable deals. I don't think you can hide from consistant facts like that. The more northern they're from the better their credit is. I've noticed that since I was 18 when I first started selling and dealing with credit.

On the flip side I close nearly 80% of people over 55 and white and about 60% of white people in general. I've never ever had a bad application from an Asian or Jew either.

I don't consider myself racist but more of person who actually stops and calculates the odds, I toss out way more qualifying type questions with blacks and hispanics because I play to the pattern so I don't waste mine or theirs time, then I advise them on what to do, almost none will actually listen and take my advice.....but thats a whole different pattern of behavior.

There is a problem with that, though, because all you're doing is looking at race. The majority of black people are A, the majority of mexicans are B, the majority of whites are C, etc. based, from your description, only on their ethnicity. That system doesn't address the other issues that may be causing a particular pattern or behavior, and treats it as an inherent part of their cultural make-up.

For ten years I worked in property management and we had rental units across every level of the economic scale. And, yes, I will absolutely agree with you that there were often certain trends that you could see when running someone's credit application. However, I never took those trends as a sign of the biological nature of ______ people, but rather as a symptom of the various societal and governmental practices and policies in and around communities of color.

BacktoBasics
05-09-2008, 02:45 PM
There is a problem with that, though, because all you're doing is looking at race. The majority of black people are A, the majority of mexicans are B, the majority of whites are C, etc. based, from your description, only on their ethnicity. That system doesn't address the other issues that may be causing a particular pattern or behavior, and treats it as an inherent part of their cultural make-up.

For ten years I worked in property management and we had rental units across every level of the economic scale. And, yes, I will absolutely agree with you that there were often certain trends that you could see when running someone's credit application. However,I never took those trends as a sign of the biological nature of ______ people, but rather as a symptom of the various societal and governmental practices and policies in and around communities of color.Well shit then you and I really agree. I don't think its biological but more a product of their upbringing. My point was more centered around it not being racist to stereotype if the shoe consistantly fits.

Phil Hellmuth
05-09-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=buried-prejudice-the-bigot-in-your-brain

"Deep within our subconscious, all of us harbor biases that we consciously abhor. And the worst part is: we act on them"

:wakeup

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Well shit then you and I really agree. I don't think its biological but more a product of their upbringing.

Maybe it's just an issue of semantics, because I still don't quite agree with this. "Product of their upbringing" still seems to me to be a cultural thing and somewhat assumes a level playing field for everyone -- that, for the sake of example, black people somewhere along the line made a conscious choice to be financially irresponsible and/or live in the ghetto -- but I don't think that's the case.

Granted, personal choice is absolutely a factor in individual decisions (I've had to evict prior tenants who unapologetically opted for a new set of rims over a place to live), as is personal responsibility, but it's also important to appreciate the fact that it's NOT an even playing field. Communities of color are not given the same opportunities as white communities, they're not given the same access as white communities, they're not given the same level of hope as white communities; all of these are going to have an impact of the behavior and/or priorities of a particular group.

My point was more centered around it not being racist to stereotype if the shoe consistantly fits.

Again, possibly semantics. If the point is that people from marginalized or oppressed communities often share characteristics that are different from those of people from privileged communities, then I agree. If the point is that Mexican people act like _________ because they're Mexican, then I disagree.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Well shit then you and I really agree. I don't think its biological but more a product of their upbringing. My point was more centered around it not being racist to stereotype if the shoe consistantly fits.

But it can be seen as being racist when you stereotype. No? Even if that is not your intent? Like when people talk about NASCAR?

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Maybe it's just an issue of semantics, because I still don't quite agree with this. "Product of their upbringing" still seems to me to be a cultural thing and somewhat assumes a level playing field for everyone -- that, for the sake of example, black people somewhere along the line made a conscious choice to be financially irresponsible and/or live in the ghetto -- but I don't think that's the case.

Granted, personal choice is absolutely a factor in individual decisions (I've had to evict prior tenants who unapologetically opted for a new set of rims over a place to live), as is personal responsibility, but it's also important to appreciate the fact that it's NOT an even playing field. Communities of color are not given the same opportunities as white communities, they're not given the same access as white communities, they're not given the same level of hope as white communities; all of these are going to have an impact of the behavior and/or priorities of a particular group.

Again, possibly semantics. If the point is that people from marginalized or oppressed communities often share characteristics that are different from those of people from privileged communities, then I agree. If the point is that Mexican people act like _________ because they're Mexican, then I disagree.

I agree. Excellent post. :tu

BacktoBasics
05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
But it can be seen as being racist when you stereotype. No? Even if that is not your intent? Like when people talk about NASCAR?
yes. No matter how much fact you have and no matter how much history is behind it you'll be called racist for stereotyping. In my opinion its one of the most crippling aspects of our world.

BacktoBasics
05-09-2008, 03:18 PM

Yeah I'm having a hard time understanding your stance.

The only part from above that I agree with is the hope aspect. Otherwise I think communities of color have just as many opportunities as the rest of them if not more...stictly based on color. Most individuals simply don't seek out the opportunities given them, too lazy??? IDK maybe. Sure a nice white north side school has prettier nicer equipment and so forth but the south or east sides have plenty of ability to help people succeed when they want it.

The key is wanting it and most of those people are raised to not want it and simply blame someone else for their problems, just like Dad and Grandpa and great slave pa did. I think 30-40 or more years ago we could say poverty stricken areas suffer because they aren't given ample opportunity but there are simply too many avenues for the weak and feable to find a way in life for us to continue to push blame on something else.

Oh you're poor you have a different skin tone...here take some grant money. Here take all these wonderful provisions and programs we've set up for you because you're not well off financially AND WHAT...do nothing with them. With the exception of a select few that care. These people just follow right in line with what the rest of their family members have done. Products of their environment I think but they do have a choice they just don't know how to make the right one because they refuse to listen simply put they already know the answer....someone else has kept us down.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 03:27 PM

The only part from above that I agree with is the hope aspect. Otherwise I think communities of color have just as many opportunities as the rest of them if not more...stictly based on color. Most individuals simply don't seek out the opportunities given them, too lazy??? IDK maybe. Sure a nice white north side school has prettier nicer equipment and so forth but the south or east sides have plenty of ability to help people succeed when they want it.

The key is wanting it and most of those people are raised to not want it and simply blame someone else for their problems, just like Dad and Grandpa and great slave pa did. I think 30-40 or more years ago we could say poverty stricken areas suffer because they aren't given ample opportunity but there are simply too many avenues for the weak and feable to find a way in life for us to continue to push blame on something else.

Oh you're poor you have a different skin tone...here take some grant money. Here take all these wonderful provisions and programs we've set up for you because you're not well off financially AND WHAT...do nothing with them. With the exception of a select few that care. These people just follow right in line with what the rest of their family members have done. Products of their environment I think but they do have a choice they just don't know how to make the right one because they refuse to listen simply put they already know the answer....someone else has kept us down.

You make some valid points but it isn't always about being "lazy" but different circumstances within the family structure. But I agree that everyone has the ability but not always the opportunity. Then again one must make the opportunity if it does not exist. It isn't easy but it can be done.
But I do feel that if you really want to succeed this is the best Country in the world to make it.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 03:28 PM

That's only true if you think that the current welfare and grant programs are actually opportunities for sustainable benefit, or betterment. They're not.

They're broken, convoluted programs with ridiculous and often demeaning qualification requirements. They're programs that, even at their very best and functioning as designed, do little more than throw money at a problem without addressing its causes. There's no emphasis on education, there's no emphasis on the arts, there's no real emphasis on job training -- there are attempts at this one, but they're woefully inadequate programs that usually provide training for jobs that are still low paying, and don't address child care during the training program, which pretty much ensures that women with children are stuck as welfare moms -- and there's no emphasis on self-sufficiency.

BacktoBasics
05-09-2008, 03:38 PM
That's only true if you think that the current welfare and grant programs are actually opportunities for sustainable benefit, or betterment. They're not.

They're broken, convoluted programs with ridiculous and often demeaning qualification requirements. They're programs that, even at their very best and functioning as designed, do little more than throw money at a problem without addressing its causes. There's no emphasis on education, there's no emphasis on the arts, there's no real emphasis on job training -- there are attempts at this one, but they're woefully inadequate programs that usually provide training for jobs that are still low paying, and don't address child care during the training program, which pretty much ensures that women with children are stuck as welfare moms -- and there's no emphasis on self-sufficiency.I see what you mean now. Perhaps its the difficulty of the "redtape" that keeps people from making it happen...above and beyond the mentality, drive and demenor to do so.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 03:39 PM
I see what you mean now. Perhaps its the difficulty of the "redtape" that keeps people from making it happen...above and beyond the mentality, drive and demenor to do so.

Exactly.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2008, 03:40 PM
yes. No matter how much fact you have and no matter how much history is behind it you'll be called racist for stereotyping. In my opinion its one of the most crippling aspects of our world.

But if the shoe fits?

BacktoBasics
05-09-2008, 04:22 PM
But if the shoe fits?cyclical isn't it

dickface
05-09-2008, 05:24 PM
But it is in the lion's biology to hunt and kill (lioness', actually, since they're the hunters) thanks to natural selection

Ah but there's no way it's in a human's biology because those civilizations that didn't display nationalism or superiority of their race all died out, right? That's why we don't engage in wars to solve problems anymore - the humans guilty of that lost out to natural selection.

Don Quixote
05-09-2008, 06:31 PM
PangDussy is owning this discussion! Kudos for her.

CuckingFunt
05-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Ah but there's no way it's in a human's biology because those civilizations that didn't display nationalism or superiority of their race all died out, right? That's why we don't engage in wars to solve problems anymore - the humans guilty of that lost out to natural selection.

Human beings =/= lions.

Prejudice/nationalism/intimidation =/= survival instinct.

At no point has a lioness taken down a gazelle to prove to the elephants that they're the biggest badasses of the jungle. Nor have they ever engaged in a hunt because they just didn't like the fact that gazelles play their music too loud. And, I perhaps I missed it, but I don't recall the episode of "Planet Earth" in which the lions launched a major assault against the hippopotami so that they could maintain a controlling interest in the rights to the local watering hole.

Opinionater
05-09-2008, 08:50 PM
PangDussy is owning this discussion! Kudos for her.

IMHO, there are solid points from all.