PDA

View Full Version : Manu, Oberto, Nocioni, Scola, Delfino Picked to Defend Gold in China

urunobili
05-09-2008, 10:35 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=3387434

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- NBA stars Manu Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto, Luis Scola, Carlos Delfino and Andres Nocioni were selected for a preliminary 10-man roster to defend Argentina's basketball gold at the Beijing Olympics.

Coach Sergio Hernandez said Thursday that 12 players will eventually travel to Beijing to defend the title won in Athens four years ago.

Returning from that team are San Antonio Spurs teammates Ginobili and Oberto. But Hernandez left off Ruben Wolkowyski and Gabriel Fernandez from the gold-winning squad.

Hernandez expects Argentina's NBA standouts to lead the roster, drawing on the experience of the Toronto Raptors' Delfino, the Chicago Bulls' Nocioni and the Houston Rockets' Scola.

Others rounding out the initial list, which could still see changes, include Antonio Porta, Leonardo Gutierrez, Pablo Prigioni, Nicolas Gianella, and Federico Kammerichs. Two others are yet to be selected.

xtremesteven33
05-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Ginobili as point?

yikes

DAF86
05-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Ginobili as point?

yikes

No, Pablo Prigioni'll play the point, that if "Pepe" Sanchez doesn't change his mind 'bout not playing the olympics.

urunobili
05-09-2008, 10:48 AM
if y'all saw the second list of guys invited to the south american championship.. form there.. they will choose 2 more.. i don;t know what's wrong with hernandez to give Gianella another shot.. he is not effective and does not deserve to be on the first list.. i hope paolo quinteros earns his spot...

DAF86
05-09-2008, 10:58 AM
if y'all saw the second list of guys invited to the south american championship.. form there.. they will choose 2 more.. i don;t know what's wrong with hernandez to give Gianella another shot.. he is not effective and does not deserve to be on the first list.. i hope paolo quinteros earns his spot...

My 12 man roster (supossing that Sanchez and Herrmann doesn't change their minds)

PG-Prigioni-Porta
SG-Ginobili-Delfino-Quinteros
SF-Nocioni-Kammerichs
PF-Scola-L.Gutierrez
C-Oberto-R.Gonzalez-Wolkowiski

urunobili
05-09-2008, 11:10 AM
My 12 man roster (supossing that Sanchez and Herrmann doesn't change their minds)

PG-Prigioni-Porta
SF-Nocioni-Kammerichs
PF-Scola-L.Gutierrez

i agree 100% with that... that definitively is the best roster you can put together.. maybe hernandez was trying to give some encouragement to Gianella... but Paolo should overtake the spot... i just have the gut feeling Paolo could become a HUGE factor if he gets red hot in the olympics.. i dunno but i see it coming... 10-10 from behind the arc to defeat someone in the semi's or something like that... he has gotten that hot before...

Also i am anxious for Matias Nocedal to debut with the "B" senior team in the south american championship... :):toast

Medvedenko
05-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Good luck playing for the silver.

urunobili
05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Good luck playing for the silver.

yeah it'll be a tough task i know... but i every time Manu Ginobili, Scola, Oberto and Nocioni are on a bkb court playing together... it's a bitch to bet against them... best of luck to y'all too! may the best team wins! and btw... i hope u guys take J-Kidd and Billups... we'll c if they dare to leave CP3 and D-will out... and LeBron hasn;t rested in 5 years... Melo getting drunk and then riding a bike in china could kill you... Kobe should be your MVP now! :lol

gaKNOW!blee
05-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I respect the hell out of international basketball, ther are alot of great players but im sorry....there is no reason the U.S. doesnt win every game.

nkdlunch
05-09-2008, 12:32 PM
where is Walter hermann???

stretch
05-09-2008, 12:57 PM
looks like a lineup full of nerds.

Trainwreck2100
05-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I respect the hell out of international basketball, ther are alot of great players but im sorry....there is no reason the U.S. doesnt win every game.

It would be more interesting if they moved the three back to where the NBAs is

urunobili
05-09-2008, 01:29 PM
where is Walter hermann???

he won;t play for the national team anymore... :depressed

21_Blessings
05-09-2008, 01:55 PM
yeah it'll be a tough task i know... but i every time Manu Ginobili, Scola, Oberto and Nocioni are on a bkb court playing together... it's a bitch to bet against them... best of luck to y'all too! may the best team wins! and btw... i hope u guys take J-Kidd and Billups... we'll c if they dare to leave CP3 and D-will out... and LeBron hasn;t rested in 5 years... Melo getting drunk and then riding a bike in china could kill you... Kobe should be your MVP now! :lol

Who cares about Lebronze and Melo. Kobe will not let team USA lose. You can bet your house on that.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-09-2008, 02:15 PM
It would be more interesting if they moved the three back to where the NBAs is

They already change this rule and so did Euroleague. They must be gets tired of American excuses when lose FIBA tournament and also gets tired of hear Europe player complain about NBA line.

urunobili
05-09-2008, 02:19 PM
They already change this rule and so did Euroleague. They must be gets tired of American excuses when lose FIBA tournament and also gets tired of hear Europe player complain about NBA line.
so you're saying that in the Olympic tournament the three point range will be the same as the NBA?

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-09-2008, 02:27 PM
so you're saying that in the Olympic tournament the three point range will be the same as the NBA?

Rule begin for 2010 FIBA World Championship for international tournaments. Also rule begin next year for Euroleague. Rule could be start for Olympics but Olympic committee not want change rule until one tournament plays already after rule change.

Also I do try math on distance. This hard because rest of world is use metric system and is much more accurate. NCAA 3 point is the 19 feet 9 inch and the FIBA and Euroleague one is 20 feet 6 inch and the NBA one is the 23 feet 9 inch.

Old NBA 3 point line is 22 feet 6 inch. This is distance new FIBA and also Euroleague 3 point line will be. FIBA and Euroleague also announce that line will be move to 23 feet 9 inch but not right away. This reason they make 22 feet 6 inch is because court is smaller in FIBA and Euroleague. Courts of all over world must be make bigger and seats move and such things. So to give arenas time for this they makes same as old NBA 3 point line until arenas have time make courts bigger so can make 3 point line 23 feet 9 inch.

FIBA and Euroleague is say they mad and angry at endless complains from NBA and US basketball about shorter line and also same things from Euroleague players when join NBA about longer line. So all rules be make same.

Budkin
05-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I for one love watching that team and will look forward to watching them this summer. Of course I will be rooting for the US if they play each other but otherwise... GO ARGIES GO!

lefty
05-09-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't want Manu to play this summer.

We'll need him rested.

But it's important that he goes there to play for his country; it's the Olympics for fuck sake and it's a great event !

Go Argentina !!!!!!!!

T Park
05-09-2008, 03:10 PM
looks like a lineup full of nerds.

While the Mavericks sit at home and contemplate missing the playoffs all together next year....

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-09-2008, 04:35 PM
he won;t play for the national team anymore... :depressed

That sucks.

TMTTRIO
05-09-2008, 04:42 PM
The only thing I'm a little concerned with is how healthy Manu will be going into the olympics and how healthy he can stay during the Olympics. Other than that it would be fun watching them even though I'm rooting for the USA.

Indazone
05-09-2008, 04:49 PM

PG-Prigioni-Porta
SF-Nocioni-Kammerichs
PF-Scola-L.Gutierrez

Darn good Roster with only weakness at the Center position. All starting 5 are capable of playing in the NBA. Oberto however is a weak center. He'll get owned by D. Howard.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Darn good Roster with only weakness at the Center position. All starting 5 are capable of playing in the NBA. Oberto however is a weak center. He'll get owned by D. Howard.

I actual think they will struggle for medal with such roster.

endrity
05-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Too bad about Hermann, I loved him on Argentina.

I still think they are the favourites. People get crazy about the talent on the US team, but in international ball, the ability to play as a team is much much more important. With a shorter 3 point line, larger lane, athletic ability doesn't count for much because there is little space to show that off. You need a team who can slice zone defenses with passing, shooting, and movement and it seems to me like Argentina still has a great roster for that.

endrity
05-09-2008, 05:03 PM
I actual think they will struggle for medal with such roster.

Oh, and Greece will medal I suppose!!!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-09-2008, 05:08 PM
So are there any new up and coming young talents on that squad? Noticeable ones? Guards? Forwards?

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Oh, and Greece will medal I suppose!!!

If Argentina send such roster get medal will be difficult. That is team is no way better at all than teams like Spain, Lithuania, Greece. So yes just get medal will be difficult.

BonnerDynasty
05-09-2008, 05:56 PM
hope they win gold.

lefty
05-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Rasho and Beno will destroy team USA :D

FIBA really sucks

TMTTRIO
05-09-2008, 06:19 PM
So are there any new up and coming young talents on that squad? Noticeable ones? Guards? Forwards?

Well this is from a recent interview from Manu:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24259797/
Are you surprised by how many Argentines (six) play in the NBA?
I’m not surprised in a sense because I know we have a lot of talented players, but it’s surprising for a small country like ours to have such a successful group of players. Once we retire I don’t think there’ll be many more coming, sadly. It’s a great generation, sometimes it happens. We’ve never been a favorite for world champions or Olympics and now we are so I guess we have a great generation.

endrity
05-09-2008, 07:34 PM
If Argentina send such roster get medal will be difficult. That is team is no way better at all than teams like Spain, Lithuania, Greece. So yes just get medal will be difficult.

Argentina's roster is better than Greece and Lithuania. Greece has been regressing since their Euro05 success.

Spain is probably the best bet to beat the US, but I think people are overlooking Russia quite a bit. That team has more size and athleticism than any other team, US aside. Especially their size is quite difficult to deal with at times.

endrity
05-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Well this is from a recent interview from Manu:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24259797/
Are you surprised by how many Argentines (six) play in the NBA?
I’m not surprised in a sense because I know we have a lot of talented players, but it’s surprising for a small country like ours to have such a successful group of players. Once we retire I don’t think there’ll be many more coming, sadly. It’s a great generation, sometimes it happens. We’ve never been a favorite for world champions or Olympics and now we are so I guess we have a great generation.

I have heard Argentina has one great guard prospect. I don't remember his name though.

But golden generations are a real thing in sports. It happened with Yougoslavia in the 90s, USSR in the 80s. Spain is clearely looking like a team of the present and the 10s and Brazil might be there if Splitter, Barbosa, Nene all improve/get healthy.

Same thing happens in soccer as well. It's impossible for any country to consistently produce top level talent. US basketball, and to a certain extent Brazilian soccer, is an exeption, not the norm in that regard.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Argentina's roster is better than Greece and Lithuania. Greece has been regressing since their Euro05 success.

Spain is probably the best bet to beat the US, but I think people are overlooking Russia quite a bit. That team has more size and athleticism than any other team, US aside. Especially their size is quite difficult to deal with at times.

Greece regress since 2005 Euro championship? How? Greece win 2nd place in 2006 World Championship and beat US team in semifinal and if you not know Zisis not even play tournament and they still beats US. Zisis was BEST player Greece have in 2005 Euro championship and even without him they win US. They lose final to Spain because team and coach admit they have no ability left after US game. They give everything in the US game and have nothing left for final.

Also at 2007 Euro championship starting C and starting PF of Greece did not play. 2 of 5 best players Greece have Antonis Fotsis and Sofo not even play in tournament. These players will be consider as better than almost all players of Argentina team except maybe Scola, Manu, Nocioni. Fotsis is actual more talent than Nocioni and Sofo more talent than Scola they are still players in development stage. Team you think is best team Spain beat Greece by 5 points in Madrid on home floor. I not impress with 82-77 Spain win on home floor in Madrid when two of 5 best Greek players not even plays game.

And Greece not even have starting front court players. Sorry but if you think such team as one mention here from Argentina is better than Greece team at full strengths you obvious not know Greece team.

If Greece send all best players and face such team in China as one mention here for Argentina then Argentina will have very hard time beat Greece. Without Hermann and Pepe they will not have depth for top Euro teams. Manu will need crazy game for them to beat best Euro teams.