PDA

View Full Version : What should the Spurs do about their Center situation?

Dex
01-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Although reports on Rasho seem to be inconclusive at this point, I think we are safe to assume that he will be out for at least 2-3 weeks. In this timespan, he could be on the bench while the Spurs go up against good teams such as Sacramento (twice), Seattle, Los Angeles, Washington, and even Miami. During that stretch, the Spurs are going to NEED to do something about their big-man situation.

Although it has been indicated the Robert Horry should be returning to the lineup in the next game, the Spurs still seem to have a bit of a hole to fill in the middle? Several resolutions have been mentioned; which do you think is the best?

boutons
01-22-2005, 03:30 PM
I'd really like see an announcement today or tomorrow, as soon as Rasho's prognosis is definitive:

"San Antonio Spurs place Rasho Nestorovic on the IR list, and activate Sean Marks."

PM5K
01-22-2005, 03:36 PM
The Spurs aren't the type of team (rather Pop isn't the type of coach) to do anything too shocking, most likely Horry will start at center.

I guess you could technically say Duncan is starting at center and Horry is starting at forward if that makes you feel any better......

RobinsontoDuncan
01-22-2005, 03:49 PM
I don't see how promising Sean he would get some actuall playing time, and the falling up on it would be shocking.

nzkickass
01-22-2005, 03:50 PM
"Activate Sean Marks and let him start "

2 E Z

samikeyp
01-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Bring in the Kiwi!

Dex
01-22-2005, 06:04 PM
I still think we should start the Coyote at the 5. :lol

ducks
01-22-2005, 06:10 PM
I think spurs should get chandler

Dex
01-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Yeah, because I bet that anybody who wouldn't trade for a healthy Rasho will just be salivating over the thought of an injured one. :lol

ducks
01-22-2005, 06:17 PM
who says I would trade rasho

horry and rose are also bigs

also horry's contract runs out
bulls then would get cap space

just because the spurs make a trade it does not have to include the weakest starter on the spurs

adidas11
01-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Start Horry or Malik, and move Duncan to the center position.

ducks
01-22-2005, 06:19 PM
adidass11 would you want the lakers to trade for chandler or try to sign him during fa and hope his price does not go up to high

Dex
01-22-2005, 06:28 PM
who says I would trade rasho

horry and rose are also bigs

also horry's contract runs out
bulls then would get cap space

just because the spurs make a trade it does not have to include the weakest starter on the spurs

No one's going to bite on the Rose contract; that dead horse has already been beaten to a second death. To even move Rose, we'd probably also have to give up another gaurd, and anyone outside of Romain Sato and Mike Wilks is a pretty tough loss.

Dealing Horry may look good on paper, but I highly doubt the Spurs are looking to move him (right now, at least). He's playing well within the Spurs system this season, and has arguably become our most valuable bigman off the bench. If he were balling like total crap, I may start to buy into the idea. But Popovich is never gonna send off a guy who knows the system and is playing well for a guy who is new and may not work out.

As much as guys like Chandler may entice the Spurs, they aren't going to wheel and deal any of their good players in the middle of the season. It's just not how the Spurs do business.

scott
01-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Start Brown @ PF, move Duncan to Center. Rose and Horry off the bench.

Devin Brown? PF????

Dex
01-22-2005, 06:58 PM
I know it sounds crazy....wasn't even my idea....but it worked in Phoenix.

missmyzte
01-22-2005, 07:16 PM
I know it sounds crazy....wasn't even my idea....but it worked in Phoenix.

Not really, did you see Devin guarding Amare? Talk about a mis-match.

T Park
01-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Not really, did you see Devin guarding Amare? Talk about a mis-match.

If bowen can guard Nowitzki, Brown can guard Webber.

Webber doesnt drive to the hole anyways.

pjjrfan
01-22-2005, 07:45 PM
He should have gotten the charge called on Amare. What an injustice.

But I'm going to worry until they do an MRI and make sure he didn't hurt any ligaments or tendons or tear something. I dont' think these things will show on an x-ray.

slayermin
01-22-2005, 08:57 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~slayermin/td_dunk.gif

Brodels
01-22-2005, 09:33 PM
When Duncan's been out in the past, Malik has gotten the nod. I can't see how it would be any different now that Rasho is out.

Start Malik. I think he'll fit in well with the first unit. He might actually believe that he doesn't need to be Michael Jordan. If he hustles, rebounds, plays defense, and stays around the rim, he'll be just what the Spurs need.

whottt
01-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Brodels is correct, Malik is the no brainer choice to start...what people don't seem to realize about Malik...

Out of all the bigs the Spurs have this season and even that we have talked about getting...

I'm talking Horry, Rasho, Malone, Mass, Marks and Rose...

Malik is the one most likely to give you a 20 point or 20 rebound performance...not Rasho, not Malone.

No one seems to remember that Malik had a 20-20 game last season.

No one seems to realize that Malik's season high in scoring and boarding last season was better than Rasho, Horry or Malone's best.

Malik's career high in scoring is 10 points higher than Rasho's...his career high in boards is much higher than Rasho's..Malik gets to the FT line a lot, he's not a liability at the FT line...and most importantly, Malik can put up those kinds of numbers playing alongside Tim Duncan.

Now, I know why Rasho starts, becuase he has the size, he's a good shot blocker, and he doesn't make bonehead TO's...I know why Horry seems to get more favor a lot of the time...because Horry is a smart mofo bench player who can totally alter a game in a span of just a few minutes..

But as far as which guy is capable of having the biggest game as a starter? Malik all the way.

Malik's career high in scoring is 34 points, his career high in rebounding is 22 boards...

I've got no problems starting Malik against any player or any team in the NBA...remember, Malik was the starter for most of our legendary 9 game road trip that forged the team into champs.

If you have Malik Rose and you need an injury replacement starter, you start him, no questions asked :).

MannyIsGod
01-23-2005, 01:11 AM
The bottom line is that while Malik can have a few bonehead turnovers, he more than makes up with it in increased rebounding over any other Spur. Especially on the offensive end.

I still think Horry should start, but if this doesn't earn a significant increase in Maliks playing time, I don't know what will.

I woudln't mind Marks getting a shot either, but the bottom line is that we already have the bigmen nessecary to win easily. They just need to be played.

boutons
01-23-2005, 03:13 AM
Even if Sean sits on the bench, I can't see why Pop wouldn't activate Sean. There some easy games coming up, NJ, 2 x NO, POR, CHA. Sean could certainly get some minutes, and what if Horry's knee doesn't come around as quickly as expected? Or Rasho is out for many weeks?

Can we really depend only on Malik and TMass? Breaking in Sean now with a few minutes can't really hurt, and what does it cost Pop?

xcoriate
01-23-2005, 03:40 AM
Whott makes a convincing argument, however you have to look at what Horry brings as well, and its all pretty good. When Horry hustles theres not much better in the way of backup bigs.

I can appreciate what both players do, and I think that both need to get a look. I think should Horry be healthy however he will get the start. Both should pull solid minutes over this stretch.

Rick Von Braun
01-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Put Rasho in the IR
Activate Sean Marks
Start Malik or Horry (Pop's call)
Bring Horry or Malik (see above) and Marks off the bench with a 4 big rotation (Duncan, Horry, Malik and Sean)
Use TonyM dependings on matchups and/or individual performances only.

Man In Black
01-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Out of all the bigs the Spurs have this season and even that we have talked about getting...

I'm talking Horry, Rasho, Malone, Mass, Marks and Rose...

Malik is the one most likely to give you a 20 point or 20 rebound performance...not Rasho, not Malone.

No one seems to remember that Malik had a 20-20 game last season.

No one seems to realize that Malik's season high in scoring and boarding last season was better than Rasho, Horry or Malone's best.

Malik's career high in scoring is 10 points higher than Rasho's...his career high in boards is much higher than Rasho's..Malik gets to the FT line a lot, he's not a liability at the FT line...and most importantly, Malik can put up those kinds of numbers playing alongside Tim Duncan

My issue with the scoring part is that the team already has defined roles While it would be an awesome thing to see Malik average 20 points per, knowing that Manu and Tony and Tim are the primary scorers on this team, I would prefer that Malik continues to do what he does best. Make hustle plays , tough boards, front screen bigger bigs, and shoot only when absolutely neccessary off putbacks or as an outlet.

ALVAREZ6
01-23-2005, 01:14 PM
My issue with the scoring part is that the team already has defined roles While it would be an awesome thing to see Malik average 20 points per, knowing that Manu and Tony and Tim are the primary scorers on this team, I would prefer that Malik continues to do what he does best. Make hustle plays , tough boards, front screen bigger bigs, and shoot only when absolutely neccessary off putbacks or as an outlet.
I agree.

The Spurs shouldn't be concerned about Rasho's replacement's offense. Rasho didn't really bring many things offensively. The Spurs will have plenty of offensive opportunities, especially if the main scorers are on fire.
Whichever big will play the best defense in replacing Rasho should be the starter.
Then , having Horry get extra minutes when Tim is on the bench will bring some more opportunities, I really like how Horry has played off the bench. Horry always seems to give the Spurs that extra lift when Duncan isn't on the court.

boutons
01-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Everybody's seeing big minutes for Robert in Rasho's absence, but who knows how Robert's knee will hold up? What if Robert really isn't combat ready, or can't stay ready?

TMass is useless on average. That leaves ONLY Malik. Very imprudent not to active Sean (not that it takes very long to do it).