View Full Version : Manu happy with All-NBA selection; plus, Holt stuff

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Didn't see this posted here:

Spurs notebook: Duncan, Ginobili make All-NBA squad

Web Posted: 05/09/2008 12:49 AM CDT

By Mike Monroe
[email protected]

The NBA announced its all-NBA team Thursday, and the Spurs’ results were mixed.

Tim Duncan, a first-team selection in nine of his first 10 seasons, slipped from first team to second team forward for just the second time in his 11-year career. Boston’s Kevin Garnett and Cleveland’s LeBron James finished ahead of Duncan in voting for first-team forwards.

Manu Ginobili, the Spurs guard who won the Sixth Man Award and finished 10th in voting for Most Valuable Player, made one of the three All-NBA teams for the first time in his career. He was voted to the third team.

“It’s a great thing,” Ginobili said an hour before Game 3 of the Spurs-Hornets series tipped off at AT&T Center, “and I’m happy. I’m happier about this than the Sixth Man thing. It is more important.”

Hornets point guard Chris Paul, runner-up in voting for Most Valuable Player, made first team All-NBA for the first time. He and MVP Kobe Bryant were the first-team guards.

“It’s an unbelievable achievement, especially since no one in our organization has ever achieved that,” Paul said. “It’s been a storybook season already, and though this is an award that they give to individuals, my teammates understand it’s all about them. It’s an honor for me, and it’s great for the team and the organization, too.”

Spurs point guard Tony Parker was among 28 players who received votes, but fell short of the 15 all-NBA spots.

Interest in Lindsey: There were reports that Spurs assistant general manager Dennis Lindsey would interview soon for Atlanta’s vacant general manager spot. Lindsey said before Thursday night’s game at the AT&T Center that he heard about the reports, but had not heard from anyone in Atlanta and did not believe anyone in the Spurs organization had been asked for permission to speak with him.

Holt eyes election: While he expressed concerns about a low turnout, Spurs chairman Peter Holt said signs point to Proposition 3 passing in Saturday’s election to extend the venue taxes that paid for the AT&T Center. The “community arenas” plan would spend $15 million on the stockshow and rodeo grounds, $10 million on Freeman Coliseum and $75 million on the AT&T Center.

“There hasn’t been a lot of energy in this election,” said Holt, noting turnout for early voting was less than hoped for. “We seem to have positive momentum, but you never know until you know, so I’m not going to sit here and say we are going to win. But I do think the momentum is going the right way. There is no organized opposition.”

Holt said the rodeo grounds and Freeman Coliseum badly need upgrades.

“Some of these buildings are 60 years old,” Holt said, referring to barns used for the rodeo. “It’s just something that needs to be done. I think most of the electorate understands that, now we’ll just see if they turn out.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050908.07D.BKNspurs.notebook.e144b536.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-09-2008, 05:35 PM
I’m happier about this than the Sixth Man thing.
:lmao

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
I know, "sixth Man thing" you mean Sixth Man Award!

come on Manu, gotta be a little more self-editing...too honest :lmao

boutons_
05-09-2008, 05:38 PM
"$75 million on the AT&T Center."

ATT opened in 2002. It already needs $75M more? For what?

The 281/410 mess is $150M.

SpursDynasty
05-09-2008, 05:40 PM
It'll be cool to see Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, and LeBron James of the supposedly All-NBA first team go home this round of the playoffs.

xtremesteven33
05-09-2008, 05:44 PM
manus the greatest

ducks
05-09-2008, 05:48 PM
manus the greatest

mj>manu

Brutalis
05-09-2008, 05:49 PM
"$75 million on the AT&T Center."

ATT opened in 2002. It already needs $75M more? For what?

The 281/410 mess is $150M.

Now days in the NBA, an arena over 5 years old needs constant upkeep to stay competitive in the market and stuff. It was mentioned a while back and Kori told me something like that, not for sure though.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Now days in the NBA, an arena over 5 years old needs constant upkeep to stay competitive in the market and stuff. It was mentioned a while back and Kori told me something like that, not for sure though.

how many nba arena's are younger than 5 years old?

phxspurfan
05-09-2008, 07:20 PM
sorry to troll, but what's the password for the troll forum?

duncan228
05-09-2008, 07:42 PM
sorry to troll, but what's the password for the troll forum?

If you want access to the Troll Forum, send an email to [email protected]. You will receive an autoresponder with the password. If you stay logged into the forum, you will only need to enter that password once.

dbreiden83080
05-09-2008, 07:57 PM

What do you mean by constant upkeep?? Living in NY i have been to Madison Square Garden probably 50 times in a 10 year span and not much has changed their at all. What is so wrong with the At&t center that it needs 75 mil to upgrade??

sassystriker
05-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Manu's too blunt! hehe.

z0sa
05-10-2008, 11:55 AM
What do you mean by constant upkeep?? Living in NY i have been to Madison Square Garden probably 50 times in a 10 year span and not much has changed their at all. What is so wrong with the At&t center that it needs 75 mil to upgrade??

i would say it has to do with san antonio being such a small market that they need the extra money to conduct certain operations to continue attracting sellout crowds to spurs and rampage (lol) games. those certain operations im unaware of, but they no doubt exist.

PlayoffEx-static
05-10-2008, 12:27 PM
6th man - media voted award

All NBA - coaches voted award

It's not hard to see why Manu doesn't GAF about the 6th man award. I'm sure that's why Bruce is more proud of his All Defensive team awards (coaches) and doesn't really GAF about the DPOY (media).

PlayoffEx-static
05-10-2008, 12:29 PM

MSG has their own cable network, and doesn't rely as much on venue specific revenues. That's why they can spend close to $150M on payroll + LuxTax and not bat an eyelash, even for a bad team. You're really comparing apples and oranges here.

PlayoffEx-static
05-10-2008, 12:34 PM
BTW, who was the last Spurs guard to garner All NBA mention? Was it Alvin, or do we go all the way back to Ice?

edit: It was Alvin in 85-86. Impressive, because back then there were only 1st and 2nd teams. 3rd team didn't start until 88-89.

http://www.nba.com/history/awards_allnba.html

dbreiden83080
05-10-2008, 02:59 PM
MSG has their own cable network, and doesn't rely as much on venue specific revenues. That's why they can spend close to $150M on payroll + LuxTax and not bat an eyelash, even for a bad team. You're really comparing apples and oranges here.

Sure i really don't know much about this that is why i was asking. Anytime this comes up most people seem to have the take that "The At&t center is only a few years old, why do you need all this money already for it" I don't think they need 75 mil to keep people coming to the games. The place is not falling apart anytime soon. You should see how crappy Nassua Colliseum is where the Islander's play. Place has been barely hanging on for years.

Mark in Austin
05-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Holt said the rodeo grounds and Freeman Coliseum badly need upgrades.

“Some of these buildings are 60 years old,” Holt said, referring to barns used for the rodeo. “It’s just something that needs to be done. I think most of the electorate understands that, now we’ll just see if they turn out.”

What a douchebag. Holt, if you're so concerned about the rodeo grounds and buildings, explain why three out of every four tax dollars is going to your building, not the ones in such bad shape.

ChumpDumper
05-10-2008, 04:07 PM
What do you mean by constant upkeep?? Living in NY i have been to Madison Square Garden probably 50 times in a 10 year span and not much has changed their at all.Cablevision just announced a plan to upgrade MSG for the 2011 season.

Estimated cost: $500 million.

Buddy Holly
05-10-2008, 04:41 PM
The money for the at&t center won't be touched/used until 2012. The rodeo fair grounds will be used immediately pending it passes.

ChumpDumper
05-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Do you have a link showing the proposed use of the AT&T Center money?

It's pretty obvious what the other money would be used for.

PlayoffEx-static
05-10-2008, 04:51 PM
What a douchebag. Holt, if you're so concerned about the rodeo grounds and buildings, explain why three out of every four tax dollars is going to your building, not the ones in such bad shape.

$75M/$415M for the total 4 proposition bond issue is not 3 out of 4 dollars. It's also not a new tax, it's an extension of an existing tax on rental cars and hotel rooms.

Tim Duncan's career length is pretty much known now: 4 years after this playoff run. If they don't get it TOTALLY up to shape now, people will never vote it once the team goes to shit.

SouthTexasRancher
05-10-2008, 05:53 PM

Amen!!! If the MSG Group had our Spurs team they too would be spending the Big bucks to upgrade MSG! But, since they have about as bad a team as there is in pro sports then why spend anything. They've already thrown hundreds of $Million$ down the drain!

:flag::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag::lobt:

Kori Ellis
05-10-2008, 05:57 PM
6th man - media voted award

All NBA - coaches voted award

It's not hard to see why Manu doesn't GAF about the 6th man award. I'm sure that's why Bruce is more proud of his All Defensive team awards (coaches) and doesn't really GAF about the DPOY (media).

All-NBA is media voted too.

The All-NBA Teams were chosen by a panel of 127 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. The media voted for All-NBA First, Second and Third Teams by position with points awarded on a 5-3-1 basis.

Just All Defensive team is coach voted for some reason. Well it was coaches last year - I assume it will be this year too.

ChumpDumper
05-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Amen!!! If the MSG Group had our Spurs team they too would be spending the Big bucks to upgrade MSG! But, since they have about as bad a team as there is in pro sports then why spend anything. They've already thrown hundreds of $Million$ down the drain!

:flag::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag::lobt:Uh, Cablevision is spending half a billion dollars to upgrade MSG.

T Park
05-10-2008, 06:18 PM

Sigh....................

Not one person in SA pays the tax genius.