PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets Will Listen to Offers for Carmelo

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Nuggets have to change
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 05/09/2008

The math does not compute for the Nuggets.

Somebody has to go.

Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson and Marcus Camby are the team's big three. But they proved to be a big zero in the NBA playoffs.

Convinced they must make a significant change to compete for a championship, it's no secret the Nuggets will actively pursue trade options. What's more significant, according to a source familiar with the team, is nobody on the Denver roster has been deemed absolutely untouchable.

The Nuggets want to make a deal.

The challenge will be to get the Nuggets front-office team of basketball operations vice president Mark Warkentien, player personnel veep Rex Chapman and executive adviser Bret Bearup, who have sometimes worked at cross purposes since the blockbuster acquisition of Iverson, on the same page in any trade proposal.

It will cost franchise owner Stan Kroenke in excess of $44 million plus luxury taxes to keep Anthony, Iverson and Camby on the team payroll next season. That's simply not a smart investment in three star players who recently won 50 regular-season games, then went down without much of a fight against the Los Angeles Lakers in the playoffs.

Somebody has to go.

Despite his impressive defensive statistics, Camby's value as trade bait has been hotly debated by Denver management for the past 12 months. While the Nuggets tried to pry one of the young stars from the Atlanta Hawks in return for Camby last spring, a 34-year-old center now would likely have more appeal to a contender looking for the final piece to its championship puzzle.

As the Nuggets bet Iverson will not choose to opt out of a contract scheduled to pay him a salary in excess of $20 million next season, the team remains uncertain of what to do with the 32-year-old guard down the road, especially when Denver considers A.I. could be attractive to a potential trade partner looking for a marquee name to sell tickets in the short term and provide roster flexibility in the long term.

While the Nuggets have given no indication they will actively shop Anthony, the constant drama in the life of their 23-year-old forward has become the source of enough frustration within team headquarters that Denver would be willing to listen if somebody made a trade offer too good to refuse for Melo. The problem? In a league where stars such as Kobe Bryant and LeBron James dominate, it's difficult to come out ahead when trading a singular immense talent for any combination of players and draft picks.

Denver will not stand pat. With a draft choice late in the first round, it's believed the Nuggets are eyeing North Carolina point guard Ty Lawson. The team also is known to have recently scouted young European center Marc Gasol, currently property of the Memphis Grizzlies and a prospect who might be ready to emerge from the shadow of his big brother with the Lakers.

If the Nuggets want to make a blockbuster deal capable of altering the chemistry of a squad whose success seems to be less than the sum of its parts, however, they must move Camby, Iverson or Anthony. Who would get shown the door?

Maybe the more pertinent question is: Can Warkentien, Chapman and Bearup agree on what direction to take the Nuggets?

To put it nicely, this is a management team of three strong-willed, opinionated basketball men who too often appear to be competing for the ear of Kroenke.

For example: At the trade deadline in February, the Nuggets irked NBA teams from coast to coast when the front-office staff simultaneously worked deals for Sacramento defensive wizard Ron Artest and Memphis shooter Mike Miller, only to come off as an organization whose left hand was unaware of what the right hand was doing.

As the Nuggets struggled to make the playoffs only to be rudely bounced by the Lakers in the first round, it was not unusual to see Warkentien or Chapman take separate turns consulting and consoling Kroenke in the arena seats or a hallway outside the locker room.

If the Denver front office cannot give the boss better advice or results, why should Kroenke continue to listen?

Before the Nuggets can build a championship identity, this is a basketball organization that needs to find its voice.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_9199420

SRJ
05-09-2008, 09:20 PM
If you get 50 cents on the dollar for Melo, it'll be worth it. He has shown, very clearly, that he cannot succeed as the centerpiece of an NBA franchise. Now if he can go be option #2 somewhere, that would be great for whoever can get that done.

Shaolin-Style
05-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I thought he was terrible in these playoffs. And hes terrible apparently when out of them too.

u2sarajevo
05-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Lakers will somehow send Luke Walton to the Nuggets in return for Carmelo.

JoeTait75
05-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Varejao and Eric Snow's expiring contract for Melo. Make it happen, Danny!

manufor3
05-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Varejao and Eric Snow's expiring contract for Melo. Make it happen, Danny!

like that'll happen

florige
05-09-2008, 11:03 PM
If you get 50 cents on the dollar for Melo, it'll be worth it. He has shown, very clearly, that he cannot succeed as the centerpiece of an NBA franchise. Now if he can go be option #2 somewhere, that would be great for whoever can get that done.

Look how out of shape he looks. It's like he doesn't even try during the offseason to stay in shape.

Matchman
05-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Battier, Head, and Bobby Jackson for Carmello and i can garantee u at least one win in the playoffs against the Lakers

ducks
05-09-2008, 11:05 PM
mcgrady for him

or shaq for him?

manufor3
05-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Battier, Head, and Bobby Jackson for Carmello and i can garantee u at least one win in the playoffs against the Lakers

so you wanna trade the guy in your sig, a pretty good role player, and a vet for carmelo? take out jackson or head and add cash and thats a good deal

florige
05-09-2008, 11:33 PM
mcgrady for him

or shaq for him?

Shaq. Def not McGrady. He still is waay to valuable. Until Carmelo shows he is willing to be a team player. Denver played alot better during the series when he was sitting on the bench.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-09-2008, 11:56 PM
He is like Iverson all offense but no defense.

ducks
05-10-2008, 12:11 AM
nash for him

Matchman
05-10-2008, 12:19 AM
so you wanna trade the guy in your sig, a pretty good role player, and a vet for carmelo? take out jackson or head and add cash and thats a good deal

i will even add two first round picks if the nuggets were willing to do it. seriously, i think Carmelo is just a kid in a bad hood surrounded by negative influences. if he play along side hard workers like Yao and Battier i am pretty sure he will be on the same level as Lebron

Indazone
05-10-2008, 12:23 AM
For the money don't want!

Zee Laker
05-10-2008, 12:26 AM
The Nuggets will not trade him. They simply wont get good value. They should be looking to trade Iverson, but then again what will they get?

The team needs a true PG (som1 like Miller :lol) and ideally som1 who can play some D. Start JR Smith at the 2 if AI is gone

Another option is to trade Camby to get that PG, but that leave them thin at C with Nene only playing 10 games a year

Jeremy
05-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Diaw + Barbosa for Carmelo.

Zee Laker
05-10-2008, 12:51 AM

that might be one of the best offers Denver get if the Suns are willing, Add ATL pick and you got a deal

Would your owner be willing to to pay Melos salary thou?

Trainwreck2100
05-10-2008, 12:57 AM

Take out head, he's good and has a bright future. Then again the trade would probably be accepted if he's included, cause who turns down a good head

PlayoffEx-static
05-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Melo's a very talented baby. He needs WAY too much coddling for someone that you would want to be the centerpiece of your franchise.

gobo
05-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Bowen for Melo

Man of Steel
05-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Damon Stoudamire + pound of barbacoa

Man of Steel
05-10-2008, 02:28 AM
Or Mark "Mr. Douche' Kiszea's lover--Princess Pimp

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/philippe1001/att-ugly_up-women-00172.jpg

robbie380
05-10-2008, 03:13 AM
if he play along side hard workers like Yao and Battier i am pretty sure he will be on the same level as Lebron

:nope

GuerillaBlack
05-10-2008, 08:00 AM
I think David Stern wants the Knicks to be good again. Therefore, with D'Antoni possible going to the Knicks, Carmelo is going to come along, too.

i will even add two first round picks if the nuggets were willing to do it. seriously, i think Carmelo is just a kid in a bad hood surrounded by negative influences. if he play along side hard workers like Yao and Battier i am pretty sure he will be on the same level as Lebron

You don't trade Battier though. Maybe Bobby Jackson, Head, possible Francis, cash and a draft pick(s) for Carmello.

JMarkJohns
05-10-2008, 08:56 AM
that might be one of the best offers Denver get if the Suns are willing, Add ATL pick and you got a deal

No effin' way!

monosylab1k
05-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Josh Howard & his dealer for Carmelo.

Thunder Dan
05-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Lebron, Z, and Carmelo

Jeremy
05-10-2008, 02:22 PM

Well, Melo's salary is actually less than Diaw+Barbosa's this next season, and then slowly rises above theirs to a peak of 1.9 million more in the final Player Option year (all three contracts are the same length).

So...maybe. Heh.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind trading Diaw for Camby (whose contract ends in two years when Shaq's and Nash's do also).

ShoogarBear
05-10-2008, 07:21 PM

Actually not a bad thought.

1Parker1
05-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Actually not a bad thought.

:lol Carmelo is the Nuggets "franchise" player...and he's pretty young. You think the best the Nuggets could get for him are two bench players?

ClingingMars
05-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Bowen for Melo

Pop would never let Melo see the light of day.

- Mars

ShoogarBear
05-10-2008, 08:53 PM
:lol Carmelo is the Nuggets "franchise" player...and he's pretty young. You think the best the Nuggets could get for him are two bench players?

Young, but there are reasonable questions about whether we've already seen everything he's ever going to be . . . which is not a franchise player.

So you aren't going to get an All-Star for Carmelo. Which means you get either get

a) disgruntled star from another team, or a star the team has soured on (none springs to mind immediately with Marion gone)
b) starters from a bad team vs. starters/bench players from a good team

in combination with one or more of

c) draft picks
d) upcoming cap flexibility

The problem is Barbosa's trade value right now is at a low. Diaw may have helped himself some in the playoffs. It obviously wouldn't be Carmelo for just those two. But that's probably about the ballpark Denver would be looking at in terms of quality.

Another option would be Carmelo to Chicago, but some players (Gordon, Deng) would have to be S&T'd. And I guess New York is always in the mix.

1Parker1
05-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Young, but there are reasonable questions about whether we've already seen everything he's ever going to be . . . which is not a franchise player.

So you aren't going to get an All-Star for Carmelo. Which means you get either get

a) disgruntled star from another team, or a star the team has soured on (none springs to mind immediately with Marion gone)
b) starters from a bad team vs. starters/bench players from a good team

in combination with one or more of

c) draft picks
d) upcoming cap flexibility

The problem is Barbosa's trade value right now is at a low. Diaw may have helped himself some in the playoffs. It obviously wouldn't be Carmelo for just those two. But that's probably about the ballpark Denver would be looking at in terms of quality.

Another option would be Carmelo to Chicago, but some players (Gordon, Deng) would have to be S&T'd. And I guess New York is always in the mix.

Melo was a top 5 pick in the league just a couple years ago. And yea he has issues in the NBA, but he has shown glimpses of being great when he's been on the USA team.

Gorden/Deng seems like better trade options than Diaw/Barbosa. If the Nuggets are dumb enough to trade for Diaw/Barbosa, who the heck are they going to build that team around?...JR Smith? AI is too old, Camby isn't a player you build your team around. Diaw/Barbosa ditto. Gordon and Deng at least you have two capable combined scorers who can give you 40 ppg, who are starter material, and have upside (at least if you discount this past season).

JMarkJohns
05-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm not saying Diaw and Barbosa are great defensively, but how does getting Carmelo help the Suns in this area and rebounding?

If the Suns have to throw in the Atlanta pick I sure as hell am going to pass.

JamStone
05-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Luol Deng
Kirk Hinrich
Drew Gooden
swap first round picks

for

Carmelo Anthony
Kenyon Martin

Nuggets get a potential star in Deng to replace Carmelo at the small forward position, a bigger point guard that has the ability to guard 2-guards better than Anthony Carter and Chucky Atkins, a top 10 draft pick, and they dump Kenyon Martin's contract.

Bulls get a franchise player and a slight upgrade in skill at power forward.

Lakers_55
05-10-2008, 11:45 PM
With the west looking to be competitive above Denver for the foreseeable future, probably better to keep Melo and rebuild around him now. Unload everyone over 28 years of age and see what happens in a few years. Melo would still have trade value then. The old guys; not much now, and much less later.

JMarkJohns
05-10-2008, 11:46 PM
That's a really good trade if it works, and I think the needed sign-n-trade would make it work.

ElNono
05-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Carmelo is a locker room cancer and me-first player. He still thinks he's a superstar.
I certainly don't want him anywhere near my team.