PDA

View Full Version : Finger: Hornets Look For Repeat Of First Round's Game 4

duncan228
05-09-2008, 11:16 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050908.01C.BKNspurs.hornets.sider.3888f7e.html

Hornets look for repeat of first round's Game 4
By Mike Finger
Express-News

Turns out, all of those cynics were right about the New Orleans Hornets. On the morning after they lost Game 3 of the Western Conference semifinals, they walked onto the AT&T Center floor and promptly started showing their inexperience, overreacting to adversity and, in some cases, even letting out a few frightened yelps.
“Bunch of big, grown men, running scared,” center Melvin Ely said, shaking his head.

But lest the Spurs start thinking they've gotten into their opponents' heads, it should be noted that they aren't the ones who had the Hornets in panic mode. It was actually just a giant moth — “A ‘Silence of the Lambs' moth,” New Orleans assistant coach Darrell Walker noted — that sent players screaming and ducking for cover, much to their embarrassment.

As for the Spurs, who blasted the Hornets in the second half Thursday and made the second-round playoff series interesting again?

“They didn't do anything to rattle us,” New Orleans point guard Chris Paul said.

The Hornets have reason to be confident in their current situation. Just two weeks ago, they had won Games 1 and 2 of their first-round playoff series against Dallas, only to get blown out in Game 3 on the road.

“It's almost scary how similar it is,” Hornets center Tyson Chandler said.

But it wouldn't be scary for New Orleans if the rest of the series continues the similarities. After being humbled in Dallas and reminded not to get too lackadaisical, the Hornets blasted the Mavericks in Games 4 and 5 in the first round.

Against the Spurs, they think they can do it again. Even if they realize that the sequel will probably be tougher to come by than the original.

“This is a totally different animal than Dallas,” Hornets coach Byron Scott said.

Although New Orleans insists it was unshaken by Thursday's loss, Scott admitted he wished the team hadn't put itself in this position.

He had warned the players about their first-round Game 3 letdown when they arrived in San Antonio, but the Hornets apparently didn't take it to heart.

“I'm a little bit more disappointed now, because after Game 3 in the last series, you would think you would learn a little more,” Scott said. “You would think you'd be more ready and prepared. So I wasn't very happy about it (Thursday) night and I wasn't very happy about it when I was watching the tape (Friday) morning.”

Scott spent about an hour going over the film with the players before Friday's practice, with much of the emphasis on the Hornets' defensive lapses. The Spurs shot 48 percent from the floor in Game 3, including a 51.3-percent performance in the second half.

Chandler said, “the reason they were knocking down shots is because no one was challenging them.”

But aside from the threat of a wayward flying insect, is there any reason to think the Hornets will start doubting themselves?

“I don't see why,” Paul said. “We're up 2-1.”

Brutalis
05-09-2008, 11:22 PM
The Hornets need a swift, quiet powerful kick to the GOD DAMNED ASS.
A big welcome to the NBA bitch kick.
All ninja like.. that is key here...

Princess Pimp
05-09-2008, 11:41 PM
That's right

Septic
05-09-2008, 11:56 PM
And what if it goes 2-2 then? He just said what's going to get him rattled.

lefty
05-10-2008, 12:34 AM
That's right

I thought you jumped from the top of the ESB after we sent your team home.

boutons_
05-10-2008, 12:43 AM

What you don't see, so far, is Tim in full HoF/playoff mode. You got a glimpse in Game3. You ain't seen nuthin, yet.

Fuck you, kid. You're gonna get schooled Sunday night.

polandprzem
05-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Seems like Scott wanted to win every game

The must have attitude in the playoffs.

td4mvp21
05-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Maybe it will be like last series. Maybe it won't. I honestly have no idea how the series will end. Spurs could lose in 5, Spurs could lose in 6, Spurs could lose in 7, Spurs could win in 6, Spurs could win in 7. I'm not really leaning towards any of those right now. It's been a weird series.

milkyway21
05-10-2008, 12:54 AM
“They didn't do anything to rattle us,” New Orleans point guard Chris Paul said.

I never heard Duncan saying such thing even if they're up 3-2 or 3-1 in his entire never-missed-a-playoff career.

td4mvp21
05-10-2008, 12:56 AM
New Orleans is really really cocky however and it's getting old quick. Can't wait until they get a swift kick in the ass by humility.

PlayoffEx-static
05-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Newsflash, Hornets: Spurs ain't the Mavs, one of the bitchest playoff teams of the past 3-4 years. We close the deal, on the regular.

m33p0
05-10-2008, 01:32 AM
http://highwaytrafficsupply.com/images/regulatory_signs.html/S2-1.jpg

milkyway21
05-10-2008, 02:08 AM
it's like the Antoni saying "we're the better team" then...

you know what happened next..

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-10-2008, 03:02 AM
“It's almost scary how similar it is,” Hornets center Tyson Chandler said.
Wishful thinking??

Turns out, all of those cynics were right about the New Orleans Hornets. On the morning after they lost Game 3 of the Western Conference semifinals, they walked onto the AT&T Center floor and promptly started showing their inexperience, overreacting to adversity and, in some cases, even letting out a few frightened yelps.
“Bunch of big, grown men, running scared,” center Melvin Ely said, shaking his head.

But lest the Spurs start thinking they've gotten into their opponents' heads, it should be noted that they aren't the ones who had the Hornets in panic mode. It was actually just a giant moth — “A ‘Silence of the Lambs' moth,” New Orleans assistant coach Darrell Walker noted — that sent players screaming and ducking for cover, much to their embarrassment.

:wtf :wtf

The image of them scrambling like little sissy girls :lmao

Anybody know an entomologist who could somehow plant 8 inch moths in their hotel rooms the night before the game?

Lebowski Brickowski
05-10-2008, 12:47 PM
It was easy to see west, paul, & wells scrambling and getting flustered in the 4thQ. Before west went to the line for 2 important free throws in the 4th, I said to myself, "His head is not right -- he's gonna miss." and boom -- he missed both, after making all or almost all in the first 3.

So, not rattled? I think if there was no rattling, there would be no need to say so anyway.

SpursDynasty
05-10-2008, 12:52 PM
This is a mistake that a lot of inexperienced (even if talented) playoff teams make. They start opening their mouth, trying to have swagger. I don't recall any of the Spurs taking jabs at their playoff opponents, ever.

Seattle did it, Sacramento did it, Denver did it......they all took a game or two from the Spurs in the playoffs, then the Spurs proceeded to beat their ass.

Spurs in 6. I'm calling it.

bigfundamental21
05-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Playoff inexperience leads to loose mouths. It never helps to make comments about the other team. Hopefully, the Spurs will take the opportunity to teach these young, cocky Hornets a valuable lesson.

BELIEVE!

saxman
05-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, keep looking!!

nfg3
05-10-2008, 01:27 PM
New Orleans is really really cocky however and it's getting old quick. Can't wait until they get a swift kick in the ass by humility.

Definitely Paul is for sure. I hope they all are because that will come back to bite them in the end. Game 4 = humility. And this playoff inexperience could set them up for a game 5 implosion.

We'll see. May then again maybe not. It all depends on how fast this young team grows up in the playoffs. Always interesting to watch.

:flag:

SpurOutofTownFan
05-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I think the spurs can win the next 3 games if my theory is correct. I believe the SPurs have finally figured out these people. Their moves, their strategy, their capabilities. When that happens it's usually Spurs series. Let's see tomorrow night if I'm correct.

oboymeetsogirl
05-10-2008, 02:17 PM
This is a mistake that a lot of inexperienced (even if talented) playoff teams make. They start opening their mouth, trying to have swagger. I don't recall any of the Spurs taking jabs at their playoff opponents, ever.

Seattle did it, Sacramento did it, Denver did it......they all took a game or two from the Spurs in the playoffs, then the Spurs proceeded to beat their ass.

Spurs in 6. I'm calling it.

Ditto. Good call. Equating a game 4 to a game 4 in a previous series against a totally different team is probably as dumb a thing I've heard an NBA player say in a long time.

No doubt, though, Byron Scott has been working to put that idea to rest with his team. So we shall see if, in game 4, his coaching sinks in. If the Hornets win, it will be because they've worked hard and intelligently for it, not because that's the way game 4's are supposed to be.

You know what I think the Spurs are counting on? The Hornets' overconfidence. That's why they've been working so hard to keep things like Timmy's high fevers and Manu's sore ankle under wraps, making no excuses; and in fact, denying these factors when asked about them outright. Instead, they've been giving the Hornets all the credit, and crediting their own poor play for the first two losses.

The idea being to let the other team feel great about themselves, while finding themselves facing a completely different Spurs team -- one that's rested, and with their star player actually playing without being dehydrated -- in games 4 and 5.

HornetGumboBalls
05-10-2008, 02:18 PM
You all take the most simplest things CP says and spin it to make him look cocky. What the hell is he supposed to say?? "We're rattled." ??!! Honestly, a reporter probably asked him if they were rattled or not and he answered it the best way he could. I can't believe how bitter you spurs fans are that MAYBE just MAYBE this dynasty of yours has seen its better days and now a young, confident, extremely talented team is proving that to you.

bonesinaz
05-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I love the last part of this article. Chandler alludes to the hornets stepping up perimeter defense. If they don't double and triple TD or leave him altogther, they will pay because the paint will open up and TD, TP and Manu will have their way.

bonesinaz
05-10-2008, 02:34 PM
You all take the most simplest things CP says and spin it to make him look cocky. What the hell is he supposed to say?? "We're rattled." ??!! Honestly, a reporter probably asked him if they were rattled or not and he answered it the best way he could. I can't believe how bitter you spurs fans are that MAYBE just MAYBE this dynasty of yours has seen its better days and now a young, confident, extremely talented team is proving that to you.

What CP3 said was bulletin board material. He may learn in the future to be a little more humble. He could have simlpy said, "We respect this team and we know we have a lot of work ahead of us." It ain't over after 2 wins.

ace3g
05-10-2008, 02:41 PM
the thing about the mavs/hornets series is that the Mavs never found an answer for Peja in any of the games (I just went over the boxscores for the entire series) and Peja scored 11+ points in every game some including 20+ point performances

SpursDynasty
05-10-2008, 02:50 PM
The Spurs have already dismissed "faster" and "younger" teams from the playoffs. They did it with Phoenix in '05 and '07, Denver in '05 and '07, Sacramento in '06, Seattle in '05...We hear the "Spurs' prime days are over" thing year after year.

NOH is scared because the Spurs figured out what to do. Bowen on Peja. Let Chris Paul get his points.

cjjr72984
05-10-2008, 03:36 PM

That's something I've noticed with spurs fans on this board. I can understand if CP said "yea, those guys aren't gonna win the next game blah, blah, blah." But all he said is they're not rattled and that's it. If I was an opposing player, I wouldn't consider that bulletin board material at all. Some of you guys are just looking for a little kerosene to throw on the fire. Calm down and enjoy game 3 instead of the "these guys are acting cocky and it's getting old" crap!

The only thing that's getting old is some of the spurs fans on here that complain about an up-and-coming talented team that has to be confident in themselves in order to win championships.

spursfan09
05-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I never heard Duncan saying such thing even if they're up 3-2 or 3-1 in his entire never-missed-a-playoff career.

Thats because Timmy never spoke out of his ass before.

HornetGumboBalls
05-10-2008, 06:34 PM
NOH is scared because the Spurs figured out what to do. Bowen on Peja. Let Chris Paul get his points

Really? Where in any player/coach/fan quotes do you find an ounce of fear???

Thats because Timmy never spoke out of his ass before

He might never speak out of his ass but he sure does look like he shits out of his mouth everytime a foul is called on him.