PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Stat Sheet Doesn't Do Justice To Oberto's Contributions For Spurs

duncan228
05-09-2008, 11:20 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050908.06C.BKNspurs.oberto.3519e71.html

Stat sheet doesn't do justice to Oberto's contributions for Spurs
By Mike Monroe
Express-News

Before each Hornets game, assistant coach Darrell Walker fills a whiteboard in the team's locker room with reminders about how to beat the Spurs.

Even after hours of watching videotape, the coaching staff relies on the hand-written word to reinforce the message. Each player's strengths, weaknesses and tendencies are broken down, reiterated with fat Sharpies.

Some Spurs, though, are easier to condense into a few words than others.

Walker's prompt about Spurs center Fabricio Oberto is straightforward and simple.

“That's a player,” Walker said before the Hornets set out Friday morning to tweak their approach after the Spurs, with a big assist from Oberto, scored a 110-99 victory in Game 3 on Thursday night. “A smart player.”

Check the box score from Game 3 and Oberto's contribution is nearly impossible to quantify. In just under 25 minutes of court time, he took only three shots and scored only two points.

But he played solid interior defense against All-Star power forward David West.

He grabbed nine rebounds and kept two more alive by tipping them out to teammates. That helped the Spurs gain a tiny advantage on the boards against one of the NBA's best offensive rebounding units.

He was most proud of his defensive work.

“Sometimes when you see us trying to be more aggressive on defense that is the main factor,” he said. “And when you do a good job on the boards, it just helps each other. Sometimes maybe it looks like you are not part of the team, but it's teamwork. I think the team really focused really well on that.

“Fifty-six (points) I think was a lot for our defense to give in the first half, and that was the main thing we focused on in the second half.”

Yielding only 43 in the second half gave the Spurs the cushion they needed to get their first victory of the series, and Oberto contributed two assists during the fourth-quarter surge that cemented their victory, including a pass to fellow Argentine Manu Ginobili for the biggest play of the fourth quarter.

With strong position in the low left block, Oberto took a pass from Tim Duncan for what most believed would be a move on the basket.

Instead, Oberto glimpsed Ginobili running to an open spot behind the 3-point line.

Passing up a short jumper for a Ginobili 3-pointer, he said, was an easy decision.

“I saw him from my right side running for the three,” Oberto said, “and I saw that Mo Peterson was inside the paint, clogging everything. And so that was it.

“When you pass the ball out to Manu, that is always a good play. Three points instead of two, and I always will want to pass to him out there when he is running alone.”

Ginobili nailed the wide-open 3-pointer and turned it into a four-point play after Bonzi Wells, racing to contest the shot, ran into him after he released the ball.

“That's one thing that I always put up there on the board, that he's a really good interior passer,” Walker said. “That pass to Ginobili, and another one from the top (of the key), a bounce pass to Tim, were great passes.

“Every coach in the league would like to have a guy like that on their team.”

Bruce Bowen, no stranger to having his effort go unnoticed, said all of Oberto's teammates understand his value rarely is reflected in the box score.

“Sometimes his stats don't appear on a piece of paper,” Bowen said. “Then you get in the film session and see the things he's done, you say, ‘Wow, look at Fab. That play was awesome.'

“And then a little later, you're saying it again.”

Brutalis
05-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Oberto's play has been lack-luster till last night he showed a true spark late in the game there.

I wouldn't go off kissing his ass just yet however, he is in a contract year correct?

tp2021
05-09-2008, 11:26 PM
When you pass the ball out to Manu, that is always a good play.

Which is why he ALWAYS does it. I remember laughing one time because he stole the ball, held it, and called a timeout. I said it was because he looked around for Manu, and then realized he was on the bench. :lol

Seriously though, his passing did something nobody else had really been able to do: give Timmy easy looks in the paint. :clap

T Park
05-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Oberto's play has been lack-luster till last night he showed a true spark late in the game there.

I wouldn't go off kissing his ass just yet however, he is in a contract year correct?

He just signed a new contract this past offseason....

manufor3
05-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Oberto's a good guy, as a player, not so much

Brutalis
05-09-2008, 11:31 PM
He just signed a new contract this past offseason....

I remember now, I have had some to drink but honestly I just forgot.

He still doesn't do enough, arms are too short and he cannot jump not to mention his age. He has been a poor mans McDice from back in the day.*

Amuseddaysleeper
05-09-2008, 11:32 PM
He can be good when he decides to be consistent.

He was great in last year's playoffs.

T Park
05-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I remember now, I have had some to drink but honestly I just forgot.

He still doesn't do enough, arms are too short and he cannot jump not to mention his age. He has been a poor mans McDice from back in the day.*

One of the clutchest centers in Spurs history.

Continue to ignore him though.

Budkin
05-09-2008, 11:58 PM
I like what Oberto brings to the table... you can't knock his effort out there. Sure he fucks up sometimes but he finds ways to contribute, especially in big games.

1Parker1
05-10-2008, 01:35 AM
He had a good Game 3...particularly in the second half. Other than that he hasn't been too impressive this series. Hopefully he continues to play like he did in Game 3. Looks like Pop is giving him the nod in this series over Horry.

roycrikside
05-10-2008, 03:08 AM
I like Fab a lot, he is a smart, skillful player on offense. Honestly though I didn't think his defense last night was anything to write home about. West did the majority of his damage with Fab on him.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-10-2008, 03:13 AM
Can't really count out the High IQ players. I 'm glad Oberto's giving us some pluses to deliver, I hope it continues.

He and Timmy play really well together on offense.

I think the hate Oberto receives fails for his physical deficiencies overlooks what he does so great as a team role-player. Oberto's a true Spur.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-10-2008, 03:16 AM
I like Fab a lot, he is a smart, skillful player on offense. Honestly though I didn't think his defense last night was anything to write home about. West did the majority of his damage with Fab on him.

Fab could have played him better, but West's offense is too good with that long jumpshot.
Duncan's probably the best one to check him, with his reach.

wildbill2u
05-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Oberto is living proof that you can play basketball at NBA level without overreaching height or the athletic ability to leap out of sight. Basketball IQ as much as any physical skills keeps him an asset to a world championship level team.

Think about all those jumping jacks that can't make it. JAMES WHITE!

m33p0
05-10-2008, 08:26 AM
hopefully the hornets would pay more attention on fabs next game. that would leave timmy a bit more breathing room.

wildchild
05-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Honestly though I didn't think his defense last night was anything to write home about. West did the majority of his damage with Fab on him.

Maybe you're right, but I think we win more offense with him, like 3rd quarter in game 5 or first overtime in game 1 last round.
As timvp said in his recap

His passing opened up the floor and created a number of easy looks. The chemistry he has offensively with the Big Three was especially evident tonight

and I agree with ManuTim_best of Fwiendz

He and Timmy play really well together on offense.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-10-2008, 10:53 AM
But he played solid interior defense against All-Star power forward David West.

If 'solid' means that West scored almost every time on him then yeah, Monroe is right, he played some solid defense.

kuato
05-10-2008, 11:39 AM
It is sad to read comments from people that does not understand how to play without the ball or without scoring, thats why some of you guys think that Oberto isnt a good player.

ballhog
05-10-2008, 12:20 PM
He was out there hustling. What more is there to ask of him. He's not a great talent but he can pass, rebound, harass, or bust some ass when it needs to be done.

O-Factor
05-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah you never know which Oberto is going to show up. He played great in game 3. But for the most part I like guy

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-10-2008, 12:43 PM
He was great on offense, we had a lot of flow in the third. But West views him as little more than an annoying gnat defensively, and scores damn near every time on him.

PlayoffEx-static
05-10-2008, 01:09 PM
He was great on offense, we had a lot of flow in the third. But West views him as little more than an annoying gnat defensively, and scores damn near every time on him.

Do you think West will continue to hit like 80% of his jumpers?

wildbill2u
05-10-2008, 01:56 PM
God grant us the serenity to accept the center Pop cannot change; the courage to accept the adjustments Pop makes, and the wisdom to know the difference in our knowledge and the coaches'.

WildcardManu
05-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Do you think West will continue to hit like 80% of his jumpers?

Most likely, that team is full of freaks that make all their shots

oski1000
05-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Aguante Fabri !!!!!!!!!!!!!:flag::flag::flag::lobt2::lobt2::lobt 2::lobt2::lobt2: