PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Days Off Could Be Good For Duncan's Recovery

duncan228
05-09-2008, 11:23 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA050908.06C.BKNspurs.notebook.3519f82.html

Spurs notebook: Days off could be good for Duncan's recovery
By Mike Monroe
Express-News

The Spurs hope another two days off between Games 3 and 4 of their Western Conference semifinals series against the New Orleans Hornets will help All-Star power forward Tim Duncan reach full strength for Sunday's game. He's spent most of the past week battling high fever and flu-like symptoms.

Duncan was examined by team doctors before tipoff for Thursday's game at AT&T Center. While his fever then was back to normal, several days spent battling the affliction appeared to have affected his play in the first two games, especially in Game 1.

Treatment prescribed by team doctors for Duncan after his sub-par performance in Game 1 — he scored a career playoff low five points — included intravenous fluid. His temperature during that game was as high as 103 degrees.

Duncan sidestepped questions about his condition, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. Asked about Duncan's fever after Game 2, Popovich said, “We're fine. No excuses.”

Duncan's response was equally terse after Game 2, when his problems first came to light.

“I'm fine,” he said.

Escape clause: Stu Jackson, the NBA's executive vice-president for basketball operations, attended Thursday's game at AT&T Center. Though he stayed out of the limelight at the arena, he told the Spurs on Friday they had to widen the “escape lanes” adjacent to the basket stanchions at both ends of the court.

NBA rules call for a 36-inch escape lane, an area of open space affording players a place to safely exit the court. The AT&T Center escape lane was only 26 inches wide.

Ripping on the reserves: Hornets coach Byron Scott didn't mince words when asked about the play of his backups in Game 3. Even though Bonzi Wells, Melvin Ely, Jannero Pargo, Julian Wright and Ryan Bowen combined for 18 points and 12 rebounds, they shot only 8 of 24 from the floor, and Scott wasn't happy with their effort.

He said he's considering shortening his bench for Game 4, but hasn't decided on any major changes yet.

“We didn't get nothing,” Scott said. “The second unit was terrible. That's the bottom line. They weren't very good offensively, and they were worse on the defensive end.”

Staff Writer Mike Finger contributed to this report

tp2021
05-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Uh-oh...
Coach Scott pondering changes...
Doubt in your bench creeping in, maybe?

Right into our Trap!

Princess Pimp
05-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Hornets win Game 4 in a woop-ass

Septic
05-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Damn, just go in hiding already your team got toasted stupid Phoenix is never going to win shit.

DespЏrado
05-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Hornets? win Game 4? in a woop['s]-ass.

ftfy

Shaolin-Style
05-10-2008, 12:06 AM
I hope Scott changes things. That game was still close last night and I'm more scared of them keeping their current course rather than changing it.

PlayoffEx-static
05-10-2008, 01:06 AM
I hope Scott changes things. That game was still close last night and I'm more scared of them keeping their current course rather than changing it.

Close is the way we roll. Don't look for blowouts. Phoenix actually outscored the Spurs in the 2007 series, but only won two out of six games. The only number that matters is four, and it doesn't matter if they're all by one point.

timvp
05-10-2008, 01:09 AM
No excuses.

Although, it's somewhat reassuring that there was a reason for TD's Game 1.

1Parker1
05-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Ripping on the reserves: Hornets coach Byron Scott didn't mince words when asked about the play of his backups in Game 3. Even though Bonzi Wells, Melvin Ely, Jannero Pargo, Julian Wright and Ryan Bowen combined for 18 points and 12 rebounds, they shot only 8 of 24 from the floor, and Scott wasn't happy with their effort.

He said he's considering shortening his bench for Game 4, but hasn't decided on any major changes yet.

“We didn't get nothing,” Scott said. “The second unit was terrible. That's the bottom line. They weren't very good offensively, and they were worse on the defensive end.”

Damn, without those guys, Hornets would have shot 60%. Hopefully Scott plays them all again...Bonzi Wells was the Spurs best player in Game 3 for once. :pctoss

sprrs
05-10-2008, 01:38 AM
His temperature during that game was as high as 103 degrees.

Duncan sidestepped questions about his condition, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. Asked about Duncan's fever after Game 2, Popovich said, “We're fine. No excuses.”

Duncan's response was equally terse after Game 2, when his problems first came to light.

“I'm fine,” he said.

Playing with a fever of 103? Wow, Tim kicks ass. Hopefully he is 100% for game 4.

Popo>Phil
05-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Ripping on the reserves?

Maybe it will be a good switch of Hornets, That's what the spurs did in Game3. I guess Paul will probably get more minutes, even the full time, bad news for spurs D.

I'd like to see spurs continue to get Hornets interior into foul trouble, so they will have to use their substitutions.

team-work
05-10-2008, 04:59 AM
No excuses.

Didn't know Duncan was battling with flu at Game 1.

polandprzem
05-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Didn't know Duncan was battling with flu at Game 1.

Info came out on game two.
And I think it was Sager who reported it first. (or was somebody earlier with the info?)

Capt Bringdown
05-10-2008, 07:58 AM
I've been away from TV & Internet for the last 5 days, this is the first I've heard of Tim's illness last week.

Good news in a sense. Get well soon.

SouthernFried
05-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Duncan's recovery?

I think Manu and Tony could use some down time too.

We need a good month :)

101A
05-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Stu wants larger escape lanes?

Does he know something about how fast the refs are going to have to get out after game 4?

saxman
05-10-2008, 09:06 AM
I fully expect a BIG game tonight from Duncan.

SpurAddict561
05-10-2008, 09:10 AM
^Hopefully he saves that BIG GAME for TOMORROW night, when we actually play...

boutons_
05-10-2008, 09:19 AM
We can't win w/o Tim, and we didn't have him for Game1.

103F produces 5-3 and a loss. Courageous, admirable, but it could have been handled differently.

In Game1, start Tim, pull him early, let the other big men try to do better than 5-3.

Hell, even a surprise suit-up by Ian, some early minutes, could have really confused the Hornets. Maybe even Ian could have had playoffs "beginner's luck" and given 15-10. Then ever to be seen again these playoffs. We could had that game with just a little more. I'm greedy. (and not Pop).

1Parker1
05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm more interested in how Ginobili's ankle is doing. It looked like he re-tweaked it a little in the 3rd/4th quarter. I saw him limping a little afterwards.

All these little injuries to Parker, Ginobilil, Duncan is eerily similiar to 2006. :pctoss

1Parker1
05-10-2008, 09:26 AM
To think if the Spurs had won just ONE more game, they could have had HCA advantage in this series!

YoMamaIsCallin
05-10-2008, 09:41 AM

Nice coaching job, Mr. Coach-of-the-Year! Way to rip your players to the media! That'll sure motivate them!

team-work
05-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Duncan really doesn't need to score a lot of points nowadays (mainly due to Manu, Tony and possibly other players sharing that role.)

That said, all of us won't mind a monster game from Duncan as long as the Spurs win.

tp2021
05-10-2008, 10:50 AM
To think if the Spurs had won just ONE more game, they could have had HCA advantage in this series!

That would have been terrible. They were destined to come out atrocious like in the first two games due to injuries, regardless of the venue. Then we'd be down 0-2 heading into New Orleans. I'll take what we've got right now over that.

nfg3
05-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Hopefully TD will be back to normal come game 4. I'm willing to bet he is. If so then GOD have mercy on the Hornets because TD surely won't. The extra rest will be benefical for TD and for Manu, too. I heard about the fever prior to game 2 and let's face it - w/o TD this team can't win, period. Game(s) - yes : series - NO. So I can see Pop using TD in Game 1 for that very reason. TD attracts some much attention defensively that our perimeter shooters can get open looks. In the first half we hit 9 3's IIRC or 9 for the game but in the second half the Spurs sucked from beyond the arc. One of the major problems was that the Spurs missed most of the open shots. Missing those shots makes the double team on TD that much more effective and NO had no reason to abandon that strategy. It also lead to transition buckets and everything snowballed from there.

TD, Pop and this team will make no excuses as to their performance. I respect that and that has been part of the Spurs identity since Pop came on board.

Monster game for TD in game 4! Spurs win and then it's a best of 3 series. I like that scenario for the Spurs. The more pressure we place on this young team the better. Make NO prove their deserve to beat us by making those pressure packed shots. We all know the Spurs have been there and done that.
Handling pressure is about growing up in the playoffs. Every team has to go through this. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. Paul and West will do fine but they alone can't beat the Spurs. It's the other players that will make or break the Hornets. I suggest the Spurs give them a shovel and see what happens.

:flag:

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Escape clause: Stu Jackson, the NBA's executive vice-president for basketball operations, attended Thursday's game at AT&T Center. Though he stayed out of the limelight at the arena, he told the Spurs on Friday they had to widen the “escape lanes” adjacent to the basket stanchions at both ends of the court.

NBA rules call for a 36-inch escape lane, an area of open space affording players a place to safely exit the court. The AT&T Center escape lane was only 26 inches wide.

It's sad that this clown is more worried about run out lanes behind the basket than the shitty job his refs are doing in the playoffs. Err, wait, they're treating West and Paul with kid gloves, they probably got a raise :rolleyes

michaelwcho
05-10-2008, 11:17 AM
No excuses.

I'm going to enjoy watching Chandler get his ass handed to him and see Paul get some balls swatted back in his face.

Dex
05-10-2008, 11:50 AM
It's sad that this clown is more worried about run out lanes behind the basket than the shitty job his refs are doing in the playoffs. Err, wait, they're treating West and Paul with kid gloves, they probably got a raise :rolleyes

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Let's not worry about one-sided officiating, or players shoving refs, or clocks not working right, or arena stunts that cause unprecedented game delays. We need to do something about this 10-inches of floor space.

Way to pick your battles, Stu.

oboymeetsogirl
05-10-2008, 02:44 PM
As I mentioned on another post, Spurs fans should recognize Pop's and Spurs' usual gamemanship when they deny anything was wrong with Timmy or Manu in the first two games. When you lose a game, excuses do you no good for the next one.

However, if you lose a game because, for a large part, your star player was dehydrated and your other key component is screaming inside with pain every time he pushes off his main ankle, you need to keep this hush-hush. Let the Hornets think they beat a full-strength team during the first two games. There is nothing so demoralizing, or confusing, than when you find yourself behind a team you "think" you should be crushing.

Obviously, the Hornets felt a little of that in game 3. But I look at game 4 as being even more different, what with the extra rest and fluid running once again in Timmy's veins.