PDA

View Full Version : Round Two: Game Four

thealchemist
05-09-2008, 11:50 PM
First time poster.

I had a few thoughts going into game 4 and a couple of questions, so I thought I would start the game 4 thread.

Although the good old starting Manu trick seemingly worked again, I would like to see something different yet again in game 4. Duncan, Parker, Thomas, Bowen and Barry. Barry is shooting 62% and is still not getting touches. Barry offers more speed and better vision than we are getting from Finley right now. We don’t have much to lose with this as we have had to take a quick timeout in the first three games. He will have limited minutes, but I would like to start with that boost, and then bring Ginobili in for Brent in our first timeout.

Thank you for finally switching Bowen to Peja. Bowen can play his style of defense so much better on a player like Stojakovic. Paul is just too quick to allow Bruce to really get into his defensive rhythm. Parker will not stop Paul, but this setup allows us to play team defense better, by focusing on closing passing lanes and doubling/shadowing when we need to.

Tim, I love you man, but please, stop holding the ball and waiting for the double team. It is as if we have never seen this sort of tactic before. Sure it works really well when we are hitting our jumpers, but when they are not falling ATTACK before the double gets there!!!

Everyone needs to stop holding the ball. There has been a lot of standing around and a lot of settling for jump shots. Where are all of those “extra passes” that I have become accustomed to as a Spurs fan? Last night had some really nice assists, but most of those were one pass situations. Please, let me have some ball movement.

Now a question. The pick n roll worked nicely against Phoenix, and clearly New Orleans has been ready for it. Every time Parker comes off the screen there seem to be three guys standing on the foul line blocking the lane as well as the passing lanes. What sort of adjustments can we make? I have a couple of ideas, but they are incomplete.

Princess Pimp
05-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Hornets by 15

rasho8
05-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Hornets by 15

Suns by -3 games.

You suck get the hell out Louis.

ClingingMars
05-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Suns by -3 games.

You suck get the hell out Louis.

:dont

- Mars

Princess Pimp
05-09-2008, 11:56 PM
:dont

- Mars

Just like the way you troll Suns Forums?

:lol

ClingingMars
05-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Just like the way you troll Suns Forums?

:lol

why would i troll the forums of a team that my team has already eliminated?

next.

- Mars

thealchemist
05-11-2008, 10:43 PM
My quick recap from another board.

Um, yeah I can give you some insight. The Spurs were amazing!!!

Tim Duncan was aggressive. Tony Parker was aggressive. Manu is pissed and decided we will win this series.

A few quick notes:

Tim Duncan did not wait for the double every time down the court. He would often get the ball higher in the post and drove to the basket.

Parker did not depend on the pick and roll. He was dedicated to finding holes and penetrating.

The pick and roll was not the same as we have seen it in previous games. They would set up the pick and roll away from the ball. Parker would start to drive, pull the defense and the pass it to Manu who then would run the pick and roll with Duncan or kick out when neccessary.

Ball movement was the best that I have seen this season. Games like this for the Spurs remind me why we have won championships in the past. Not only did we have great kick-outs which is the standard, but extra passes on the perimeter, as well as interior ball movement. Just great team basketball.

Bowen shut down Peja, again.

Thomas and Oberto did a great job against West.

Scott made poor coaching decision in 3rd to leave Chandler in with four fouls. Picked up his fifth half way through. Nail in the coffin for their interior defense.

62% shooting in the first half for the Spurs.

There is definitely more, but I have to go to bed.

Go Spurs, Go!!!