PDA

View Full Version : Possible Rule Changes

Manufan909
05-10-2008, 05:12 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/05/09/weekly.countdown/index.html

Apparently the NBA is thinking of killing off goaltending. Admittedly when I first read that I was against it, but the writer has a good arguement for it. He said it would be "the defensive version of the dunk", which made it seem way more appealing. But unless I just misunderstood, it sounds like once a player shoots the ball, it becomes fair game. I think it should at least hit the rim or backboard first, otherwise athletic enough players could block threes, and that might get old. I think my compromise would be the best way to go, but I'd have to see this in action to get a real idea.

It reminds me of Ian's first monster performance for the Spurs(in garbage time), when he grabbed a ball that was on the rim, and he was called for it. Bill Schoening commented that that was good in Europe, but I guess no one told Ian that.:rollin

EDIT: My bad, it does have to hit the rim first.

Borosai
05-10-2008, 05:17 PM
No.

Manufan909
05-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Yes.

tlongII
05-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Won't happen. The NBA wants more offense, not less.

ChumpDumper
05-10-2008, 05:25 PM
It didn't make a ton of difference when the D-League adopted the rule for one season, but there won't be stuff like suspenseful free throws rattling around the rim before dropping through -- they'll just be swatted off.

Manufan909
05-10-2008, 05:29 PM
So it just failed miserably in the D-League? And more importantly, who watches alot of European games, since they've been doing that for awhile. I could be wrong though, that's just from what I read.

Indazone
05-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Would you be able to reject a ball from inside the rim like FIBA?

Manufan909
05-10-2008, 05:42 PM
I think they'd make some changes to the actual rule itself, I think they would take that away. It'll be years before it becomes part of the NBA anyways.

ClingingMars
05-10-2008, 05:45 PM
that's a terrible idea.

- Mars

PlayoffEx-static
05-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Seems counter-intuitive, since SternCo wants more offense. How many of the rule changes in the last 10 years have benefited the defense? Maybe the legal zone, minus the paint area? Now, how many of them have limited or handcuffed the defense? Almost everything else. The no charge zone, no hand checking on the perimeter, no hands on a post player, only a forearm.

lefty
05-10-2008, 05:47 PM
WTF

Stern sucks

rasho8
05-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I was wondering how an ally-oop style lob was legal. You toss it up like its a shot and someone else slams it in. If it was rejected by a defensive player it would be called goal tending because the shooter would insist he was shooting the ball.

How does that work btw? Someone with real b-ball knowledge please.

Dave McNulla
05-10-2008, 05:55 PM
if they want to adopt the fiba goal tending rules, i'm ok with that. if they want to scrap them altogether, i'm dead set against that.

ChumpDumper
05-10-2008, 05:59 PM
So it just failed miserably in the D-League? And more importantly, who watches alot of European games, since they've been doing that for awhile. I could be wrong though, that's just from what I read.I'm not sure it failed -- it just didn't make a whole lot of difference in the games I saw. I suspect it would make a bit more difference in the NBA given the higher athleticism and the fact the rule would be considered more permanent than in the D-League.

I think the main reason for getting rid of that goaltending rule would be the relatively sketchy nature of determining whether a ball is in the cylinder. If they want to increase scoring, the most logical step is to go to the trapezoid, which I expect to see in the D-League in a year or two.

jag
05-10-2008, 06:05 PM
I was wondering how an ally-oop style lob was legal. You toss it up like its a shot and someone else slams it in. If it was rejected by a defensive player it would be called goal tending because the shooter would insist he was shooting the ball.

How does that work btw? Someone with real b-ball knowledge please.

It has to do with intent, if someone lobs the ball up with the intent to pass then it's fair game for whoever can get to the ball. If someone lobs the ball up with the intent to score (which would be a shot) then no one can touch it.

It's pretty much a judgment call, but it's fairly easy to tell what a players intentions are. It's rare that someone throws the ball underhanded at the rim with the intent to shoot.

ALSO: alley oop or not, if the ball is above the cylinder it is not allowed to be touched by anyone, regardless of intent.

jag
05-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but that's how i understand the rule.

Avitus1
05-10-2008, 06:10 PM
That would be retarded...

YoMamaIsCallin
05-10-2008, 08:49 PM
OK y'all are idiots.

First, no one who ever knew anything about basketball would ever propose to do away with goaltending entirely. It would be way too easy to just post three big guys down by the basket and have them jump up and knock away any shots from anywhere.

Second, the Euro rules don't just benefit the defense. They also benefit the offense, because an offensive player can tip in a ball that's on the rim.

grjr
05-10-2008, 09:49 PM
If they want to increase scoring, the most logical step is to go to the trapezoid, which I expect to see in the D-League in a year or two.

Wouldn't that be harder to shoot into than a round basket? Or would they change the ball shape also?

Trainwreck2100
05-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Wouldn't that be harder to shoot into than a round basket? Or would they change the ball shape also?

change the ball shape
:lol