PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Robert Horry says no to Mother's Day

Spurs Brazil
05-10-2008, 08:02 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/05/jeff_mcdonald_r_4.html

Jeff McDonald: Robert Horry says no to Mother's Day
So, the folks for TNT were on hand at Spurs practice Saturday, in preparation for their coverage of Game 4 tomorrow. As part of the prep work, TNT producers were looking for Spurs players to record generic Mother's Day promos for use in the broadcast.

"I'm Joe Blow, wishing all the moms out there a Happy Mother's Day" -- that sort of thing.

The producers made the mistake of asking Robert Horry, who flatly declined. No, Horry has nothing against mothers (and, last we checked, he harbors no ill will toward apple pie and puppies, either).

Horry, it seems, is just really superstitious.

"The last time I did that for Mother's Day, we got our ass kicked," Horry said.

The way Horry remembers it, he wished all the moms out there a Happy Mother's Day one year, then watched his Houston Rockets get spanked by the Phoenix Suns.

It's almost certain that Horry's memory is playing a little bit of a trick on him. The Rockets twice faced the Suns on Mother's Day during Horry's tenure in Houston, and though Phoenix won both games, neither could be considered a blowout.

The Suns won 91-87 in Game 1 of the 1994 Western Conference semifinals, and 114-110 in Game 4 of the 1995 conference semis. And, in both cases, Houston went on to win not only that series, but an NBA championship.

Still, Horry isn't tempting fate this time around. He isn't publicly wishing anybody anything on Mother's Day.

"I'm superstitious," Horry said.

Rebuffed, TNT turned to Damon Stoudemire instead.

Horry, by the way, has enough on his mind. Should he play in Game 4, it would mark his 237th career playoff game, matching Kareem Abdul-Jabbar atop the NBA's all-time list.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Damon Stoudemire
:bang

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Well I guess it's alright if it's for superstition. If he said no just because he doesn't want to, then that would've been a whole other issue.

1Parker1
05-10-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm Joe Blow, wishing all the moms out there a Happy Mother's Day

Hmmm, I wonder what's on Jeff McDonald's minds these days.... :oops

SAtown
05-10-2008, 08:07 PM

At least it's for a good cause.

Deb
05-10-2008, 08:11 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/05/jeff_mcdonald_r_4.html

Jeff McDonald: Robert Horry says no to Mother's Day
So, the folks for TNT were on hand at Spurs practice Saturday, in preparation for their coverage of Game 4 tomorrow. As part of the prep work, TNT producers were looking for Spurs players to record generic Mother's Day promos for use in the broadcast.

"I'm Joe Blow, wishing all the moms out there a Happy Mother's Day" -- that sort of thing.

The producers made the mistake of asking Robert Horry, who flatly declined. No, Horry has nothing against mothers (and, last we checked, he harbors no ill will toward apple pie and puppies, either).

The way Horry remembers it, he wished all the moms out there a Happy Mother's Day one year, then watched his Houston Rockets get spanked by the Phoenix Suns.

It's almost certain that Horry's memory is playing a little bit of a trick on him. The Rockets twice faced the Suns on Mother's Day during Horry's tenure in Houston, and though Phoenix won both games, neither could be considered a blowout.

The Suns won 91-87 in Game 1 of the 1994 Western Conference semifinals, and 114-110 in Game 4 of the 1995 conference semis. And, in both cases, Houston went on to win not only that series, but an NBA championship.

Still, Horry isn't tempting fate this time around. He isn't publicly wishing anybody anything on Mother's Day.

"I'm superstitious," Horry said.

Rebuffed, TNT turned to Damon Stoudemire instead.

Horry, by the way, has enough on his mind. Should he play in Game 4, it would mark his 237th career playoff game, matching Kareem Abdul-Jabbar atop the NBA's all-time list.

Deb
05-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey, you go Big Shot. Don't need no bad luck tomorrow.

CubanMustGo
05-10-2008, 09:22 PM
At least this way Damon will get some face time during the game tomorrow.

ducks
05-10-2008, 09:43 PM
this is a stupid article

T Park
05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Ah here comes another thread full of internet know it alls getting ready to RIP this article...

missmyzte
05-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Bad article title, he's not saying no to Mother's Day, he's saying no to filming a silly segment. Spurs had better not lose tomorrow...

WildcardManu
05-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Third one's the charm?

Amuseddaysleeper
05-10-2008, 11:18 PM
I wish there was a way to trade local beat writers.

theroc5
05-10-2008, 11:36 PM
I remember we got slaughtered in 04 on mothers day, anyone remember the last time we played and won on mothers day?

whottt
05-10-2008, 11:47 PM
The only quote I want to hear from Damon Stoudamire is, "No team with Tony Parker as it's starting PG will ever win a 5th NBA championship".

1Parker1
05-10-2008, 11:48 PM
The only quote I want to hear from Damon Stoudamire is, "No team with Tony Parker as it's starting PG will ever win a 5th NBA championship".

I don't get it. He spoke smack about Parker before?

whottt
05-10-2008, 11:49 PM
No, he said, "No team with Avery Johnson as it's starting PG will ever win an NBA championship"...

carina_gino20
05-11-2008, 03:01 AM
It's all about Father's day for Rob. :lol I don't know why he McDonald thought he had to write about this though.