PDA

View Full Version : There's one thing NO has that I'm jealous of

DarrinS
05-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Even though I'm 39 years old, I really didn't start seriously following the Spurs until we got the Admiral.

The team had its ups and downs, but they really didn't make a big push until they got Tim Dunkan. Even though the 99 season was shortened (not such a bad idea, IMO), the Spurs really had high aspirations that year, and the city of San Antonio was electric with hopes of an NBA championship. Keep in mind, this is BG (before Ginobili) and BT (before Tony). Everyone had flags on their cars, businesses has giant banners, sports bars were packed with fans. Paragon cable (not Time Warner) even "blacked out" playoff games that year for the SA area (man, I was pissed :bang).

That was the year we beat the Timberwolves (3-1) [in case you were wondering, the first round used to be the best of 5].

The Spurs then went on to SWEEP a young LA lakers team with Kobe and Shaq.

Also, that was the year that Sean Elliott hit the Memorial Day Miracle against Portland (Sheed remembers), who the Spurs swept as well.

So, I guess what I'm jealous of, is having a team that has never won before, and just having that buzz around town.

When you go to bars to watch the games now, there's not a packed house like there was in 99 and 2003. You only see the real diehard fans now (myself included).

Anyway, if we don't get past the Hornets, I sincerely hope they kick L.A. or Utah's ass and win the finals.

That city needs it.

-peace

MaNuMaNiAc
05-10-2008, 10:05 PM
that is one seriously odd phenomenon... I have to say, I've never seen interest actually DECREASE because of continuous success. In football (soccer) winning more championships increases attendance, much like in every other sport I know of. Why this happens with the Spurs is beyond me.

The only thing I could think of is that maybe, just maybe San Antonio Spurs fans are more interested in the recognition after the success than the actual process by which it comes. This could actually fuel the idea that the Spurs seem to be boring (which for the life of me I never could understand). I really don't get it.

Disclaimer: I want to clarify that I, personally, don't believe the Spurs are boring. It was just a hypothesis with which to explain the phenomenon mentioned above.

SRJ
05-10-2008, 10:06 PM

Yeah, but Kobe wasn't Kobe yet, then when you beat us in 2003 we were missing Rick Fox, then Detroit only beat us because $tern was letting Detroit get away with murder and the Big Idiot wasn't sharing the ball with Kobe, then we only missed the playoffs in 2005 because Kobe got hurt, then we only lost in 06 and 07 because the Suns were the media's flavor of the month, now we have the best record stop hating

baseline bum
05-10-2008, 10:14 PM
that is one seriously odd phenomenon... I have to say, I've never seen interest actually DECREASE because of continuous success. In football (soccer) winning more championships increases attendance, much like in every other sport I know of. Why this happens with the Spurs is beyond me.

The only thing I could think of is that maybe, just maybe San Antonio Spurs fans are more interested in the recognition after the success than the actual process by which it comes. This could actually fuel the idea that the Spurs seem to be boring (which for the life of me I never could understand). I really don't get it.

Disclaimer: I want to clarify that I, personally, don't believe the Spurs are boring. It was just a hypothesis with which to explain the phenomenon mentioned above.

Same thing happened with the Lakers. Everyone was nuts over them in 2000, but by 2001-2004, the fans just expected titles.

E20
05-10-2008, 10:15 PM
DunCan. :)

SAtown
05-10-2008, 10:20 PM
that is one seriously odd phenomenon... I have to say, I've never seen interest actually DECREASE because of continuous success. In football (soccer) winning more championships increases attendance, much like in every other sport I know of.

Because in the NBA (like every American sports league), you win a title and that's it; that's the climax. In soccer, the better teams of every league have a chance to compete in something a lot more competitive than their own league (champions league in Europe, Libertadores in South America). If they win that, they they play another tournament in the summer to see who is the best in the world (Fifa club world cup).

Slydragon
05-10-2008, 10:26 PM
I remember just about every other car had the flags, it look so cool and then the next year playoffs came up and I was like here goes the flags again, but they never showed up like that first year. There were also Spurs vendors on just about every major intersection that first year and now I don't even see them.

ChumpDumper
05-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Great, now hornetfans will be waving their zero championships in our faces.

GinobiliLooms
05-11-2008, 12:04 AM
So, you admit your an "Admiral" bandwagoner????

Darcus
05-11-2008, 12:32 AM
That's pretty much how it is here in New Orleans right now. Hornets fever like crazy.

One question though, when San Antonio was going through the playoffs in 1999, did opposing teams' fans say "OMFG U GOT NO RINGS ULL NEVER WIN!!!!11"?

ChumpDumper
05-11-2008, 12:34 AM
That's pretty much how it is here in New Orleans right now. Hornets fever like crazy.

One question though, when San Antonio was going through the playoffs in 1999, did opposing teams' fans say "OMFG U GOT NO RINGS ULL NEVER WIN!!!!11"?Only louis.

remingtonbo2001
05-11-2008, 12:39 AM
:lol

Man of Steel
05-11-2008, 01:46 AM
Lakers fans were the worst.

And once again--I am afraid--Lakers fans are just as cocky as ever, stating that neither NO or SA has any chance against them.

ancestron
05-11-2008, 02:39 AM
The only thing New Orleans has that I'm jealous of is their abundance of Gulf Shrimp.

SKINNYPIMP210
05-11-2008, 02:51 AM
Shit, I'm Jealous Because I've Been Stationed All Over The U.s. And Haven't Had A Chance To Witness All These Championships In My Home Town Of Sa. I Was Overseas In Quatar For The 03' Championship And Working Shift In Washington State And Florida For The Other Two After That.

loquats
05-11-2008, 04:28 AM
The only thing New Orleans has that I'm jealous of is their abundance of Gulf Shrimp.

And football training camp shortly after basketball season :toast

ChumpDumper
05-11-2008, 04:39 AM
We usually have that too.

ancestron
05-11-2008, 05:54 AM
And football training camp shortly after basketball season :toast

No. Just the shrimp.

:toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-11-2008, 07:46 AM
So, you admit your an "Admiral" bandwagoner????

There is no such thing as an Admiral bandwagoner!

I have been a fan for 20 years, so I am an Admiral bandwagoner!? Bah-humbug to you sir! :ihit

nfg3
05-11-2008, 10:36 AM
We're spoiled. At least I know I am. I expect the Spurs to be there every year with the Big 3. It's only natural. I've come to expect great things from them and when TD and Manu leave - Tony will be here after they are gone - then I'll have to deal with lesser expectations...ie....Celtics after the Bird era....Lakers after Showtime prior to Kobe /Shaq ....Bulls after MJ.

As for the '99 run I'd have to admit this town went nuts. That's all we talked about for weeks on end. I remember the flags and banners but I also remember the trucks around town with the brooms on them. And I also remember one truck had 2 brooms, 2 flags, the back window had a huge Spur logo on it and it was a black one with silver stripping. Damn it looked so cool.:toast

After our '03 championship I've noticed many seem to take it in stride. Heaven forbid we lose this series but if we do and NO takes the trophy then they will be in for a ride they will never forget. That first Championship always seems to be the sweetest and most satisfying. :king

theMUHMEshow
05-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Bro, its happened to the Red Wings and Pistons here in Detroit...

BonnerDynasty
05-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm jealous of their 2-1 lead.

theMUHMEshow
05-11-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm jealous of their 2-1 lead.

That wont last... trust me. :toast

MaNuMaNiAc
05-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Bro, its happened to the Red Wings and Pistons here in Detroit...

Great, but my question still stands... why does this happen? How can people get tired of repeated success? Isn't that the point of the whole thing?

I guess it could be that sports in the US is really only a part time hobby (with the exception of most of the people in here :lol) where as in other less developed countries, people consider sports as damn near a religion. I know that here in Argentina, success in sports seems to be damn near the only source of national pride for the average Joe. This is certainly not the case in the US, and thus people are more likely to lose interest in something that might not be that important to them.

Then again, having experienced the agony and disillusion that people in this forum felt and expressed after every even year championship let down, I find it hard to accept the above hypothesis. It just doesn't make sense to me.

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 12:02 PM
why does this happen?

Because the vast majority of the inhabitants of your city can't grasp the concept of a game where you put the ball in a net using your hands rather than your feet.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Because the vast majority of the inhabitants of your city can't grasp the concept of a game where you put the ball in a net using your hands rather than your feet.

hmm... which city might that be, Einstein?

BonnerDynasty
05-11-2008, 12:05 PM

The one that recently won a gold medal in basketball?

MaNuMaNiAc
05-11-2008, 12:08 PM

Big ass city

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 12:12 PM

The one that puts "los spurs" on their uniforms and has a mariachi band shout shit in spanish on ESPN when going to break, sherlock.

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 12:15 PM

...and to clarify, we're not discussing the success of basketball in your city, we're discussing the apathetic attitude of the fans.

Strike
05-11-2008, 12:17 PM
There is no such thing as an Admiral bandwagoner!

I have been a fan for 20 years, so I am an Admiral bandwagoner!? Bah-humbug to you sir! :ihit

As am I. I live in Portland so, naturally, I was a Blazers fan in my youth. But Robinson was drafted out of the Naval Academy, and my Dad was a sailor for 20 years so I became a Spurs fan in 89 because of Robinson. Over the last 19 years my love for the Spurs has grown exponentially.

So I guess I'm an "Admiral bandwagoner" as well. :nope

But if that were true, shouldn't I have stopped being a Spurs fan after the '03 championship?

slayermin
05-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I have been to three sports bars since I've been back in San Antonio during Spurs games and they were packed.

I was disappointed to see that there were tickets still available for game three at tip off but game four is sold out.

Thursday night games with a late tipoff in a blue collar town is tough. Two of my buddies that are hardcore Spurs fans didn't go to the game because they had to be up at 5am the next morning. I know it's only sleep but for me, it's difficult to wind down after a Spurs win. It takes me a couple of hours.

The support is here. It will never be the like the first time. But if they repeat, I think it might come close.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-11-2008, 12:33 PM
The one that puts "los spurs" on their uniforms and has a mariachi band shout shit in spanish on ESPN when going to break, sherlock.

You do realize that I'm Argentinian, right Holmes? :rolleyes

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't care if you're Romanian, we're talking about san antonio.

Sec24Row7
05-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Wait... is someone from NO really trying population dynamic smack????

hahahaha

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Wait... is someone from NO really trying population dynamic smack????

no, i'm from baton rouge. and yes, I am, senor

ClingingMars
05-11-2008, 12:41 PM

:dont

racist bitch.

- Mars

MaNuMaNiAc
05-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't care if you're Romanian, we're talking about san antonio.

well then stop referring to it as MY city. Call it San Antonio. Not all Spurs fans are from SA. Get that through your head.

by the way, how in the hell are you trying to say the city of San Antonio can't grasp the concept of basketball when it has had more success at it than NO EVER will?

Yes, success is pertinent to this discussion whether you want to acknowledge it or not :rolleyes

MaNuMaNiAc
05-11-2008, 12:42 PM
HornetGumboBalls[/B]]...and to clarify, we're not discussing the success of basketball in your city, we're discussing the apathetic attitude of the fans.

Gee... I wonder why you want to leave success out of the picture... could it be because it destroys your whole fucking argument? Could be

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 12:47 PM
racist bitch.

- Mars

as with life, it is so easy to call someone a racist on here and have that hold more water than when the person says "i'm not a racist", but, I am in no way a racist. I have no hatred towards spanish people or their culture. However, I do have a problem when a city or organization bends over backwards to embrace another countries immigrants (regardless of legality), when it seems that the same is not reciprocated. You don't know english? NO PROBLEMO! We'll just say things in spanish to make you feel more welcome. I really don't see it happening that way if Americans would go to another country with similar numbers. Americans would have to change their ways and adapt.

So my problem lies with the city, not with the races.

ClingingMars
05-11-2008, 12:49 PM
as with life, it is so easy to call someone a racist on here and have that hold more water than when the person says "i'm not a racist", but, I am in no way a racist. I have no hatred towards spanish people or their culture. However, I do have a problem when a city or organization bends over backwards to embrace another countries immigrants (regardless of legality), when it seems that the same is not reciprocated. You don't know english? NO PROBLEMO! We'll just say things in spanish to make you feel more welcome. I really don't see it happening that way if Americans would go to another country with similar numbers. Americans would have to change their ways and adapt.

believe me, I'm just as much against illegal immigration as you are, but this is an argument that has NOTHING to do with the Spurs or the topic at hand, and belongs in the Politics board.

unless you're trying to city-smack, which is lameee.

- Mars

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Gee... I wonder why you want to leave success out of the picture... could it be because it destroys your whole fucking argument? Could be

You're changing the argument. The entire point of this thread is about the fans lack of support after championships, NOT how successful the team is. That's why we leave success out the picture.

Strike
05-11-2008, 12:51 PM

So, New Orleans is all about America and American culture? Nothing French about it, right?

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 12:52 PM
believe me, I'm just as much against illegal immigration as you are

then don't accuse people of being racists

unless you're trying to city-smack, which is lameee.

- Mars

I ammmmmmm sooooo iiiiii guesssss i'mmmm lameeeeee

- Balls

MaNuMaNiAc
05-11-2008, 12:52 PM

ok, first of all, nice job on the whole "derailing" of the thread thing. Props. Second, you're talking out of your ass. English is the universal language. Every country I've been to, and I've been to quite a few, has accommodated english into their culture in one way or the other.

By the way, I love the city smack, specially since when Spurs fans bring it out, the automated response is "How dare you? People died here"... pathetic

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 12:54 PM
So, New Orleans is all about America and American culture? Nothing French about it, right?

It's actually a blend of a bunch of different cultures which gives us our own. It's cajun and creole and it is unique to the city.

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 12:55 PM
I have never and will never use the "people died here argument" - that is a promise. Bars stayed open during Katrina.

z0sa
05-11-2008, 12:57 PM

You understand America is a melting pot for all cultures and races, right?

MaNuMaNiAc
05-11-2008, 12:57 PM
You're changing the argument. The entire point of this thread is about the fans lack of support after championships, NOT how successful the team is. That's why we leave success out the picture.

The point of the IS the fans lack of support after championships, that is true... but it has nothing to do with San Antonio not grasping the concept of basketball. It is certainly an idiotic thing to say, when your city hasn't accomplished shit in the NBA. The lack of support doesn't come from lack of understanding, its clearly something else.

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 01:02 PM
The point of the IS the fans lack of support after championships, that is true... but it has nothing to do with San Antonio not grasping the concept of basketball. It is certainly an idiotic thing to say, when your city hasn't accomplished shit in the NBA. The lack of support doesn't come from lack of understanding, its clearly something else

You're killing me. Alright, I didn't think we would still have to do this, but...

when you asked "why does this happen?" in reference to the fans lack of support, I stated "b/c the majority of your inhabitants can't grasp a sport where the ball goes into the net using your hands rather than your feet". Once again, this does not mean that your basketball team does not grasp the concept of basketball, it means that the influx of mexican futbol fans in the city since 1999 PROBABLY has something to do with the decreased amount of SUPPORT for the team since then. Comprende?

twincam
05-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Even though I'm 39 years old, I really didn't start seriously following the Spurs until we got the Admiral.

The team had its ups and downs, but they really didn't make a big push until they got Tim Dunkan. Even though the 99 season was shortened (not such a bad idea, IMO), the Spurs really had high aspirations that year, and the city of San Antonio was electric with hopes of an NBA championship. Keep in mind, this is BG (before Ginobili) and BT (before Tony). Everyone had flags on their cars, businesses has giant banners, sports bars were packed with fans. Paragon cable (not Time Warner) even "blacked out" playoff games that year for the SA area (man, I was pissed :bang).

That was the year we beat the Timberwolves (3-1) [in case you were wondering, the first round used to be the best of 5].

Also, that was the year that Sean Elliott hit the Memorial Day Miracle against Portland (Sheed remembers), who the Spurs swept as well.

So, I guess what I'm jealous of, is having a team that has never won before, and just having that buzz around town.

When you go to bars to watch the games now, there's not a packed house like there was in 99 and 2003. You only see the real diehard fans now (myself included).

Anyway, if we don't get past the Hornets, I sincerely hope they kick L.A. or Utah's ass and win the finals.

That city needs it.

-peace

I agree with you 100%. Times have changed. Those "fans" that do not support the Spurs are basically the "bandwagon fans". They are only there for the hype. Even though the Spurs always win games, it's gotten old for the bandwagon fans. I am a true Spurs fan win/lose. I still decorate my car during the Finals. It's a very UNIQUE homemade decoration that many people love to see. Anyhow, I will miss out on it since I'm currently at Ft Riley doing to BS training for the next two months. I'm Air Force, but go figure.
I'll still catch the games when I can......Go Spurs Go.

BTW, lots of Spurs supports here.....

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 01:04 PM
You understand America is a melting pot for all cultures and races, right?

Completely understand, but San Antonio is a melting pot for baked beans, 6 different types of cheeses with a side of guacomole.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-11-2008, 01:35 PM
You're killing me. Alright, I didn't think we would still have to do this, but...

when you asked "why does this happen?" in reference to the fans lack of support, I stated "b/c the majority of your inhabitants can't grasp a sport where the ball goes into the net using your hands rather than your feet". Once again, this does not mean that your basketball team does not grasp the concept of basketball, it means that the influx of mexican futbol fans in the city since 1999 PROBABLY has something to do with the decreased amount of SUPPORT for the team since then. Comprende?

What the hell does an influx of people from Mexico have to do with the decreasing interest in basketball from Spurs fans?? People who were Spurs fans in 99 aren't going to stop supporting their team because there are suddenly more Mexicans' in their midst... what an idiotic premise. We are talking about a decrease in attendance from the first championship 'till today.

by the way, you assuming that Mexicans can't grasp basketball is about as ignorant a statement as I've seen you make yet. There are Mexicans in this board that probably understand the game better than you

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Do they have jokes in Argentina? Honestly? I can't believe you still can't comprehend what I said and the intent behind it.

Manufan909
05-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Do they have jokes in Argentina? Honestly? I can't believe you still can't comprehend what I said and the intent behind it.

Most people on this board aren't from Argentina, and those people aren't laughing either, you dumbass. I don't care if you aren't a racist, you're making racist jokes to people who ARE said race, or have alot of friends of that race. That's why we think you're pathetic, not because we're too stupid to get you're actually trying to be funny. And don't you think Manu and Fab would have all the "illegal immigrants" going nuts!? I guess your mom should've married OUTSIDE the family. Then you might have something constructive to say instead of half-assed bean and cheese jokes.:nope

HornetGumboBalls
05-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Most people on this board aren't from Argentina,

You're shitting me

GrandeDavid
05-11-2008, 03:33 PM

That city needs it.

-peace

Dumb fans. And if/when the Spurs get eliminated, I probably won't watch any more playoff game, much less pull for any particular team.