PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or does Duncan...

Roundrockers
05-10-2008, 11:08 PM
... not use his bank shot like you used to in the late 90's and early part of this decade. I remember he would bank in 5-7 a game back then, now we see maybe a few a week. I always thought that was his deadliest shot.

WildcardManu
05-10-2008, 11:14 PM
He can't even touch the ball without getting doubled and or hacked. How in the world would he start making them again now against the Hornets?

TDfan2007
05-11-2008, 01:21 AM
He needs to use it in this series, just square up and shoot it before the double comes. But he seems to have lost confidence in that shot.

MI21
05-11-2008, 05:22 AM
Teams don't allow him to shoot it as much now. Probably a few reasons behind that... One because he hits it 75% of the time so obviously you don't let him shoot it. Two, he is slower now compared to his athletic prime so players can play up on him a bit more when he faces up for the banker... and then there is the doubles and the offense being a bit different to when he used to shoot it all the time.

TDMVPDPOY
05-11-2008, 06:51 AM
tim duncan is a pussy

he should work on the baseline where its further out from the key being double team, and challenge his man to defend him out there, challenge his bankshot or duncan can just work his way inside from the baseline for a running hook

themvp
05-11-2008, 06:54 AM
tim duncan is a pussy

Please... :flipoff

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Teams don't allow him to shoot it as much now. Probably a few reasons behind that... One because he hits it 75% of the time so obviously you don't let him shoot it. Two, he is slower now compared to his athletic prime so players can play up on him a bit more when he faces up for the banker... and then there is the doubles and the offense being a bit different to when he used to shoot it all the time.

Winner!

He used it less and less as the season went on, and certainly doesn't use it like he used to.

His most prolific go-to jumper is now that 18fter from the top of the key. He always has plenty of space to shoot it from out there. He's hot on it right now too, shooting about 60% from the FT line area (according to NBA Hot Spots).

wildbill2u
05-11-2008, 08:09 AM
His jumper has almost disappeared from his repertoire for years, not just recently. He used to play facing the basket and was dangerous because of his jumper and ability to drive to the basket. How often do you see that drive to the basket now--once or twice a season? Maybe he's gotten too slow to make that move as he's aged.

He generally plays with his back to the basket like a center now. I don't know if he just lost confidence in the bank shot like a golfer getting the putting yips. Hell, sometimes he misses the bank shot from three feet now.

Maybe someone thought his game would be better if he played with his back to the basket. He doesn't play at all the same way as when he came into the league.

timvp
05-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Eh, he hasn't used his bankshot mostly for matchup reasons this year in the playoffs. In the regular season he went to it quite a bit.

Against the Suns, Shaq is too long to shoot the bankshot against. The banker is a flat shot and Shaq just needs to put a hand up to alter it. Against Amare, you always want to take him to the low block.

In this series, getting doubled at the elbow takes away a lot of options. The corner three-point line closest to you is congested. There's a bad angle to the other corner. If you know a double is coming, you want to get on the low block. That gives you open avenues to pass to both corners and the top of the key easily.

duncan228
05-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Duncan seems to have become content with taking what the defense gives him. He has not been strong and creating his own shot lately. He's usually good at taking what they give him and making them pay but that hasn't been the case in this series so far. I blame illness.

He did use his bank shot somewhat during the season. I think he has great confidence in his team around him and maybe he's been too unselfish and making the pass when he should take the shot.

I know players get in slumps but I don't consider it a confidence issue, as in he's lost his confidence. He'll keep shooting until his shots start to fall again. He'll be in the gym at midnight shooting to get his rhythm back.

We saw him in game 1 against the Suns. We know he's still got it. We know he's been sick. I think we'll see the Duncan we know back beginning today.