PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Dilemma With Ginobili: To Start Or Not To Start

duncan228
05-11-2008, 12:23 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051108.05C.BKNspurs.notebook.3519e84.html

Spurs notebook: Dilemma with Ginobili: To start or not to start
By Mike Monroe
Express-News

Will he, or won't he?

After the Spurs won Game 3 with Manu Ginobili in the starting lineup, sticking with that starting unit would seem like an easy decision for Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

Popovich, though, wasn't tipping his hand after Saturday's practice session.

“We're going to decide a minute before the game,” Popovich said, “just to keep everyone in suspense.”

Ginobili may have been tipped off about Popovich's inclination, but he wasn't sharing anything Saturday, either.

He does, however, have a decided preference.

“I always say it doesn't matter,” he said, “but if you ask any player in the whole league if they would rather play 40 (minutes), like last game, or 28, they would rather it be like last game.”

The biggest benefit of starting is the chance to be patient.

“I had more time to let the game come to me,” Ginobili said. “I didn't have to rush things. So I felt pretty good.”

Popovich understands fully that Ginobili's play merits a spot in the starting lineup. He has brought him off the bench as a way to give the team a jolt of energy and as a means of getting Tony Parker off to quick starts from his point guard spot.

Ginobili believes the playoffs provide their own energy.

"I also think if I would have come from the bench, the energy of the team was going to be the same,” he said. “It was a team thing. It didn't depend on me.”

Scrimmage time: Popovich cut his playing rotation down to seven players in Game 3, with Ime Udoka, Brent Barry and Jacque Vaughn and Robert Horry effectively falling out of the rotation and getting only spot minutes.

Those four, along with Damon Stoudamire, Ian Mahinmi, Matt Bonner and DerMarr Johnson, followed up the regular practice session with 30 minutes of scrimmaging in an effort to retain a level of sharpness.

Going fast: The Spurs' victory in Game 3 sparked a run on the team's ticket office on Friday. Only 500 single-game tickets for tonight's game remained, as of Saturday afternoon, including some in the lower bowl.

Ticket prices range from $18 to $325. Tickets can be purchased at all Ticketmaster Ticket Center locations, including select H-E-B and Macy's stores. They also can be charged by phone at (210) 225-TEAM or online at spurs.com.

Playoff tickets also are available at the AT&T Center Southeast Box Office, open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., and weekend event days only, beginning at 10 a.m.

TMTTRIO
05-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Manu needs to continue to start. Manu plays a lot better as a starter and like Tony said we need more than just one who can penetrate or drive to the basket.

T Park
05-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Leave things alone Pop.

Leave the defense the way it was, leave the offense alone, leave Manu alone.

All i would adjust, is a few more pick and rolls between Tim and Manu, and when Finley comes in, runs some off the ball picks and get him some shots off the pass.

gobo
05-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Manu should remain a starter.

Chris Duel
05-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Ginobili didn't start Game One... Spurs led at halftime.

Ginobili didn't start Game Two... Spurs led at halftime.

Ginobili started Game Three... Spurs trailed at halftime.

I think it's fine to bring Manu off the bench, as the Spurs did for 90% of the regular season.

Keep him fresh and give him maximum minutes in the second half.

Brutalis
05-11-2008, 12:59 AM
If I could goto my first Spurs home game it'd be these playoffs.

Trainwreck2100
05-11-2008, 01:08 AM
If an adjustment is to be made I'd say bring him off the bench and start him in the third.

mystargtr34
05-11-2008, 01:23 AM
What about this..... start Manu on the bench... Run the play through Timmy a bit more... let TP get his and play the usual rotation in the first half.

In the second half start Manu... the entire second half is crunch time for the Spurs the way theyve been playing the 3rd quarters lately...Let the big 3 play about 22 minutes and hopefully this will avoid yet another 3rd quarter let down.

Trainwreck2100
05-11-2008, 01:38 AM
What about this..... start Manu on the bench... Run the play through Timmy a bit more... let TP get his and play the usual rotation in the first half.

In the second half start Manu... \.

That is a freaking awesome idea

greens
05-11-2008, 01:59 AM
Manu needs to continue to start. Manu plays a lot better as a starter and like Tony said we need more than just one who can penetrate or drive to the basket.

I agree.

Manu has to start. Pop needs to remember that the Spurs lost the first two games to NO with Manu coming off the bench, but won with him starting recently.

lefty
05-11-2008, 02:10 AM
Staaaaaaaaaaaaaart

ancestron
05-11-2008, 02:37 AM
No. Throw the slider-curve I say.

Start Finley.

MannyIsGod
05-11-2008, 07:21 AM
I think Manu has played his last game off the bench for quite some time.

wildbill2u
05-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Isn't it smart to play your five best players against their five best players? Why give them a spot? You don't see NO sitting West to start the game and only getting 25 minutes.

And if our bench can't play better or even with their bench players for a few short damn minutes, then we will deserver to lose the series.

timvp
05-11-2008, 08:20 AM
There's no reason not to start Manu against the Hornets. First of all, with Duncan being doubled, you need as many offensive options on the court to start the game as possible. Second of all, Manu needs to play as many minutes as possible for the Spurs to have a chance. And thirdly, he matches up much better against the Hornets' starting shooting guard (Mo Pete) than their backup shooting guard (Bonzi).

smeagol
05-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Manu will start.

It's a no brainer.

Spurs Brazil
05-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Why change

Start Manu

polandprzem
05-11-2008, 09:52 AM
There's no reason not to start Manu against the Hornets. First of all, with Duncan being doubled, you need as many offensive options on the court to start the game as possible. Second of all, Manu needs to play as many minutes as possible for the Spurs to have a chance. And thirdly, he matches up much better against the Hornets' starting shooting guard (Mo Pete) than their backup shooting guard (Bonzi).

If Scott won't start Bonzi

and btw.

“We're going to decide a minute before the game,” Popovich said, “just to keep everyone in suspense.”
:lol

SpurOutofTownFan
05-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I think starting Manu is the right choice here but Pop might have caught wind of some Scott's adjustments so he wants to make sure nothing falls thru the cracks. At least he will maintain the suspense until the last moment.

BonnerDynasty
05-11-2008, 01:03 PM
If the Spurs could just get a nice start try to rest him most of the 2nd.

Strike
05-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Start him.

ClingingMars
05-11-2008, 01:23 PM
of course Pop isn't gonna help Scott out. but he'll probably start.

- Mars

Nikos
05-11-2008, 01:43 PM
As long as Manu plays 40+ minutes, it doesn't matter if he starts or not.

Taladro
05-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Let Scott make the adjustment this time,and see if it works.
Manu should start!!

Manufan909
05-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Start MANUUUUUUUUU!!! And make it an eight player rotation, with Barry in there as well. And if we get up by 20+, put Horry, Ime, Vaughn, Damon, and Fab, and see what happens. Give Vaughn around eight minutes, I promise he will leave it all out there. And I'd rather see Bonner than Damon, but I don't think it's going to happen.

rayray2k8
05-11-2008, 02:47 PM
If Duncan continues to be double teamed on the wing, Manu can take advantage of it... We'll see what happens.

sprrs
05-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Ginobili didn't start Game One... Spurs led at halftime.

Ginobili didn't start Game Two... Spurs led at halftime.

Ginobili started Game Three... Spurs trailed at halftime.

Remember the outcomes of those games?

ATXSPUR
05-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Start Ginobili!!! Try to get him goin early and see if he can't get penetration after hitting a couple of outside shots.

oski1000
05-11-2008, 03:52 PM
START MANU, please..!!!!!!!!!!!!:flag::flag::lobt2::lobt2::lob t2::lobt2::lobt2:

td4mvp21
05-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Start him. That puts a lot more pressure on New Orleans' defense from the start of the game. And you know the Spurs won't start off slow with Manu in the lineup.