PDA

View Full Version : Am I Reading This Right?

duncan228
05-11-2008, 08:02 AM
My newspaper has a "Game Plan" in the Sports section, one spot on a game to watch on TV and one spot on a local pro game to go to.

This morning, in the "what to watch" one:

New Orleans at San Antonio:

"The defending champion Spurs played their way back into the series by winning game 3.
Now we'll see what sort of adjustments the Hornets make to win on the road."

Is it just me or is that a definitive statement? Shouldn't it be "try to win on the road?" Or "See if they can win on the road?"

Does The Orange County Register already know the winner of this game?

CubanMustGo
05-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Meh, reading a lot into a sentence.

PlayoffEx-static
05-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Poor grammar. It's everywhere.

FromWayDowntown
05-11-2008, 11:01 AM
This isn't meant as a dig at duncan228, but I think Spurs fans in general are getting too sensitive about perceived slights in the media. I'm surprised there wasn't a thread on Wednesday/Thursday, when Steve Levy introduced a segment on SportsCenter about the Spurs/Hornets series by using the word dynasty and making finger quotation marks at the same time.

To counterbalance that negativism, I'll note that on the SportsReporters this morning, Howard Bryant decried the league's insistence upon promoting Lebron James instead of Chris Paul and, more generally, thought the league was missing the boat on continuing to promote players over teams, including the Spurs, who he called "the best two-way team since the 80's."