PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate Fear in Game 4

timvp
05-11-2008, 11:05 AM
While strategy will obviously be important in Game 4 against the Hornets, the thing I’m most worried about is whether the Spurs will have the appropriate fear heading into this game. When the Spurs are focused and playing like their backs are against the wall, they are a good team.

However, on the other hand, this Spurs team is not good at all in coast mode. In fact, I think this team is far worse than any of the four championship teams when they are just going through the motions. We saw it during the regular season and it has remained true into the playoffs. The 2007-08 Spurs can’t play loose and freely and just stay within striking distance.

I think the two main reasons why the Spurs can no longer coast with success are their aging role players offensively and their defense. Outside of the Big Three, no player on offense can help pick up the slack. Even last year in the playoffs, the Spurs didn’t always have to rely on the Big Three to do everything. This year, if the Big Three aren’t producing, the team has no chance. There isn’t a 2005 Robert Horry who can pick up the slack for a few minutes. Heck, there isn’t even really a 2005 Nazr Mohammed who can have a big game every once in while. The Spurs have some shooters – but the shooters are more reliant on the Big Three than ever.

Defensively, the weakside help just hasn’t been there this season. In past years, the team was great at knowing when to help and then rotating to cover the helper. This year, that isn’t really the case. The team has had to rely on spectacular individual defensive play instead of spectacular team defensive play.

I still think the Spurs can win this series and then make a good run at a title but it’ll take desperate and fierce play. Offensively, they can hide their Big Three dependency flaw – but the Big Three has to be damn near dominant for 48 minutes. The Spurs can’t win anymore unless the Big Three play very well on the offensive end of the court. Defensively, while they aren’t as good as they used to be, they can still play championship caliber defense. But to cover any defensive shortcomings, they need to rebound the ball better than ever and stick to the basics. Don’t rotate off of shooters because chances are there won’t be any secondary help and the shooter will be wide open.

In Game 4, the appropriate fear and the realization that the Spurs can no longer survive unless they are playing in top gear is must. The Hornets are more than good enough to make the Spurs pay for not going all out. They comfortably won the first two games and were right there in Game 3.

The Spurs need to play tonight like it’s a win or go home situation. That fear of doom is is mandatory with this bunch.

48 minutes.

1 win.

Believe.

FromWayDowntown
05-11-2008, 11:08 AM

ClingingMars
05-11-2008, 11:10 AM
every home game for the Spurs is a must win.

Believe.

- Mars

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Creer.
:tu

O-Factor
05-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah we need Finley to go for 15+ and Bruce to hit a few from behind the arc aswell. Im still waiting for Barry to get some minutes too dammit

Quasar
05-11-2008, 12:14 PM
They actually make me think of the 2005 pistons... Great team that had a lot of trouble flipping the switch.

Hopefully the character of the players will help avoid a huge let down.

urunobili
05-11-2008, 12:39 PM
i like this thread... this game is as important as a game 7... if we're able to grind it out and do it in a fashion manner would send a message to the hornets...

SouthernFried
05-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Thing I'm most worried about is health. 1st, 2nd, 3rd...etc.

If we are 100%, we prolly win.

If not...

BonnerDynasty
05-11-2008, 12:58 PM
If they lose this game they lose this series. They probably realize this.

SpursDynasty
05-11-2008, 01:04 PM
What's funny is the Spurs supposedly "coasted" through the regular season and ended up with the same 56-26 record as NOH who played out of their minds with the "MVP candidate" Chris Paul.

The Spurs aren't worried about this team anymore. They made the major adjustment for Game 3 and it's not changing.

LoveTheGame
05-11-2008, 01:30 PM
I agree with mostly everything timvp said. Spurs have an issue in this series of not being able to win on their own terms playing Spurs game. They have to relay on strategies that are not confortable for them as much.

Hey, Spurs are a great team but their role players are just not the quality they were even if they have same names as last year. Young team like Hornets have come up and play basketball that is inspired and on the high level. Pointguard that makes no turnovers and dishes 10+ assists is a novelty in NBA.

Game 3 was huge for Spurs but I am not sure big 3 can continue to put up 78 points per game. There is a reason to be cautios.

mavs>spurs2
05-11-2008, 01:41 PM
So the Spurs are only down 2-1 because of coasting they just need to "play for real" now to win? :reading

Phil Hellmuth
05-11-2008, 01:51 PM
So the Spurs are only down 2-1 because of coasting they just need to "play for real" now to win? :reading

^is a confused literalist

Spurs Brazil
05-11-2008, 01:59 PM
:flag::flag::flag:

Brutalis
05-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I agree with mostly everything timvp said. Spurs have an issue in this series of not being able to win on their own terms playing Spurs game. They have to relay on strategies that are not confortable for them as much.

Hey, Spurs are a great team but their role players are just not the quality they were even if they have same names as last year. Young team like Hornets have come up and play basketball that is inspired and on the high level. Pointguard that makes no turnovers and dishes 10+ assists is a novelty in NBA.

Game 3 was huge for Spurs but I am not sure big 3 can continue to put up 78 points per game. There is a reason to be cautios.

Duncan hasn't even shown up offensively yet in this series, so how can you be sure of anything.

timvp
05-11-2008, 02:00 PM
So the Spurs are only down 2-1 because of coasting they just need to "play for real" now to win? :reading:reading indeed.

I'm not talking about coasting for games. I'm talking about coasting within a game. The Spurs used to be able to get away with putting a team out on the floor that consisted of role players that could buy 8-10 minutes per game. The Spurs can no longer do that.

Spurs teams of the past didn't have to play 48 minutes at 100% effort to win games. This one does.

E20
05-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Timvp, I'm just curious, but where do you sit during Spurs games? How good are your seats?

polandprzem
05-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Timvp, I'm just curious, but where do you sit during Spurs games? How good are your seats?

He is in striking distance.

Mobilisation, that is what I was talking about.
In a 0-2 hole spurs came back and won a game thay had to win. Now it's time to see if their are capable to stay focused and bring what they brought last game.

Well that's why I was so surprised and was exteamly happy to see how spurs handled Phoenix series.

All in all spurs have ups and downs. Like in a season they could have an impresive winning streak and then go down and lose unexpectably.

wildbill2u
05-11-2008, 03:19 PM
:reading indeed.

I'm not talking about coasting for games. I'm talking about coasting within a game. The Spurs used to be able to get away with putting a team out on the floor that consisted of role players that could buy 8-10 minutes per game. The Spurs can no longer do that.

Spurs teams of the past didn't have to play 48 minutes at 100% effort to win games. This one does.

I thought at the beginning of the year that standing pat for once was great and this year's team had the potential to be the best Spur team ever.

But the season revealed some flaws in that thinking. You're right that the Spurs can't coast a minute because:

1. Other teams, especially in the West, have caught up with the Spurs' Big Three in terms of young or younger players with All-Star caliber. Every team in the west can trot out a starting five with their own Big Three.

2. The bench is starting to show its age. We wondered when that would happen. Well, it was this season. We'll retool with some younger players but that won't help in these playoffs.

I hope we have enough left in the tank to get by NO.

GrandeDavid
05-11-2008, 03:23 PM
My Dad said that at church this morning David Robinson game the sermon and cited Pop's infamous "appropriate fear" line.

The Spurs will not coast tonight. They know that they cannot afford to go down 1-3 in this series. They'll show up and win. I'm expect bigger things from what I presume to be a now healthy Tim Duncan.

nfg3
05-11-2008, 03:41 PM
I agree with you timvp. It was hard for me to admit that their D isn't the same as in prior years. :depressed Was in denial always convincing myself that they'll just kick it in pretty soon. Never has happened with any regularity and I really miss those games where we would just strangle the other team. I mean hands on throat type of thing. Funny thing about that is that I would get giddy watching them strangle the other teams. I always knew that even when we weren't clicking offensively the Spurs could always fall back on that type of D and pull out the W.

There were times in past years where we could just stick some people out there and buy some rest for the starters. But the occasional outbursts by bench players has been pretty lean this year. That's what really scares me about this playoff run. If any of the Big 3 are off then our chance of winning that game/series goes exponentially down. :bang

I still believe though. :lobt:

:flag:

spurschick
05-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Timmy is going to say "Fuck your double-team" and get a triple-double. Just an instinct I have.

1Parker1
05-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Toughest game of the season tonight I think. The whole season rides on it. I do agree that the overrealiance on the Big 3 is starting to get worrisome.

On the other hand, it's been about 5 games since Finley has had a huge game, and since he usually comes out every 5 or 6 games, hopefully he's due tonight. :tu

Trainwreck2100
05-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Timmy is going to say "Fuck your double-team" and get a triple-double. Just an instinct I have.

He's saving that for game 5

SPARKY
05-11-2008, 10:38 PM

Fortunately Scott opted to give the Spurs those minutes for the entire 4th tonight. :king

nfg3
05-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Well looks like they had the appropriate level of fear neccessary tonight! :lol

let's hope they have this appropriate level of fear for the remanider of the championship run.:hat

:flag: :lobt: :flag:

Tiro
05-12-2008, 12:14 AM

:rollin lol
i'm glad spurs proves you are wrong this time.