PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks this will never go to trial

HollywoodKobe
07-22-2003, 07:29 PM
I understand she isn't the one pressing charges and dah, dah, dah, but I just don't see this going to trial.

The accuser is getting a small taste now of just how dirty this is going to get if it goes to trial. She's already been embarassed and discredited. Many of her friends have sold her out already, not for money, but just to be on TV. I know one of her friends turned down a money offer, but it's only a matter of time. If she thinks it's getting hot now, wait until the defense attorneys get ahold of her and tears her to shreads.

It just seems that both sides have a lot at stake here. Even if Kobe thinks he's 100% innocent, does he want to put jail time and his fate on the whims of a jury? The one sticking point is I don't see Kobe ever agreeing to register as a sex offender, but there must be someway around that.

I just think both sides will eventually see that this just isnt' worth it and there is a better way out of it. Be it a settlement or whatever. For some reason, I just don't see this getting to trial. It's too volitaile right now.

bonesinaz
07-22-2003, 11:31 PM
2 words-
Mike Tyson

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 11:34 PM
Apparently most Laker fans.

Most sane people realize that Kobe's in deep shit.

SlayerMin
07-22-2003, 11:45 PM
I just think both sides will eventually see that this just isnt' worth it and there is a better way out of it. Be it a settlement or whatever. For some reason, I just don't see this getting to trial. It's too volitaile right now.

The girl can't drop the charges. The DA can proceed without her.

It's getting dirty because most everyone in LA does not want to see Kobe go to jail, regardless if he is guilty or not. There are powerful forces at work here and I think the more dirt we hear about this girl, the worse off Kobe might really be.

XtraSports should start a FreeKobe advertising campaign because they are twisting any report that favors the defense team into a victory.

Don't expect any sympathy from this Spurs fan because Kobe did this to himself and he deserves jailtime for his stupidity alone. I doubt he will go to jail but I can dream, can't I.

By the way, I wouldn't feel too confident about anything until we know what the physical evidence is.

Cassius Clay
07-23-2003, 02:21 AM
I don't care what team he plays for. I thought he was a great ambassador for the game. He did seem to care about the example he set for his young fans.

And it's not just adultery. Apparently there is enough solid evidence for a DA to bring a rape charge against him. That in and of itself isn't something that happens every day. And especially given who he is you would think that the DA's office wouldn't want to bring a case based on flimsy evidence.

This is beyond basketball.

Truthsayer
07-23-2003, 02:28 AM
Based on the evidence that has been leaked, Kobe is facing prison time. He looked guilty as sin at his press conference. I doubt he would make a convincing witness at trial.

I think in the long run he will agree to a plea bargain in exchange for a minimal prison sentence. If he goes to trial and loses, he is facing the possibility of doing a lot of years.

SlayerMin
07-23-2003, 04:47 AM
I can't just say she's lying because she didn't immediately run out screaming for help. Actually, if she'd set him up, running into the lobby screaming for help would have been what I would expect her to do. The fact that she didn't, almost leads us to think a set up wasn't pre-planned.

If after the fact, she thought about it and then decided to seek some fame for herself, that's possible. But on the surface, the delay is actually not unusual. She'd likely go home in a daze trying to get control of herself and figure out what just happened. After a real trauma, people often aren't the most logical of thinkers.

Anyway, I just don't know.

Interesting female perspective at LakerGround

:smokin2

LINK (http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47348&forum=21&start=15)

MannyIsGod
07-23-2003, 11:09 AM
it looks worse and worse for him each day.

If he did it, I hope Jdawg in cell block A rapes him hard.

HollywoodKobe
07-23-2003, 01:28 PM
"Most sane people realize that Kobe's in deep shit."

I think anyone that doesn't live in a cave knows that Kobe is in deep shit - sane or not. I'm just trying to think of alternatives.

It all comes down to the physical evidence I guess. If she has bruises that aren't from natural intercourse (friend says she has bruises that she covers with makeup) and Kobe is proven to be responsible for those bruises, then he should be locked up. Will the jury convict on this supposedly overwhelming evidence is another thing.

The rest is just he said, she said and crazy stories.

baseline bum
07-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Good one, WestHollywoodKobe.

It's sickening the way Kobe is treated in LA. Fox11 is doing a report on him on their newscast tonight and the lead in was "Kobe can have any woman in the world, so how could he ever rape anyone?" or something like that. :vomit

As far as Los Angeles is concerned poor Kobe is the victim here.

Tawnia79
07-24-2003, 01:53 PM
What I'm curious on is how Spurs fans would act if this were Tim in the same situation... And let's spare the "he'd never be in this situation" response because no one ever thought Kobe would either. You guys say that LA residents are being biased because we believe in Kobe's innocence (which last time I checked, he still IS presumed innocent), yet I have a feeling that if it were Duncan you'd be doing the exact same thing.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2003, 02:35 PM
I don't care who Kobe plays for. I didn't hate on Kobe prior to this case because I did think he was great for the game. I'm a bball fan in addition to being a Spurs fan. What I hate are people who cannot see outside of the realm of the NBA. For example, there are people who are sending death threats to this girl just because this case might hurt their favorite team. F that. I don't care if they live in LA or Atlanta or Seattle.

Shelly
07-24-2003, 03:31 PM
If this was Duncan in this situation, I would want him to fry also.

'nuff said.

Tawnia79
07-24-2003, 03:49 PM
Shelly, you wouldn't be saying that until he was convicted. Please don't try to say you'd assume he was guilty before the conviction because I know that's absolutely not true. You would give him the benefit of the doubt just like Lakers fans and many NBA fans have given Kobe.

I don't care who Kobe plays for. I didn't hate on Kobe prior to this case because I did think he was great for the game. I'm a bball fan in addition to being a Spurs fan. What I hate are people who cannot see outside of the realm of the NBA. For example, there are people who are sending death threats to this girl just because this case might hurt their favorite team. F that. I don't care if they live in LA or Atlanta or Seattle.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post and the people that are threatening that girl should be ashamed of themselves. This is much bigger than a game, and if an actual crime did occur, then I truly feel sorry for that girl, but admire her for standing up when she should have.

If Kobe did something wrong then he deserves what he gets. I know though that no matter what happens he'll be convicted in the eyes of many NBA fans for the rest of his career. Unfortunately that's what happens in these kinds of cases.

As a Lakers fan AND a Kobe fan, I'll stick by him until the day the jury says he's guilty - if that day ever comes. I don't expect other people just waiting for a legitimate reason to hate him to do the same, but I would hope that at least some people would grasp the "innocent until PROVEN guilty" theme of the legal system and treat him accordingly.

Shelly
07-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Perhaps I should of said, if Duncan were in this situation and found guilty...etc.

Right now I'm neutral because I haven't heard both sides of the story. Am I surprised? Of course.

But since I don't know Kobe or Duncan personally, it's easy to distance myself from the situation.

SAmikeyp
07-25-2003, 03:54 PM
I have to go with Shelly on this. I have been on record in our forums saying that I hope Kobe did not do this because he is one of the last good role models in the NBA. That being said, if he is guilty of this crime I hope they throw the book at him. As far as if were Tim Duncan, there have been Spurs who have had scrapes with the law (Willie Anderson, Alvin Robertson, Rod Stickland) and I was one of the first to say get them out of here and yes I would do the same if Tim Duncan were charged with this crime and found guilty. I would not want him to be a part of my hometown team. I will always be a Spurs fan but I would not root for him. I did the same thing when Michael Irvin was found guilty for his crimes, I continued to be a Dallas fan but I would not root for Irvin, would not buy any products he endorsed or anything with his name or picture on it.

Tawnia79
07-25-2003, 07:51 PM
I understand that completely... if there is some evidence that the DA has that condemns him in my eyes, then I'll be disgusted in myself for ever cheering for him.

spurster
07-26-2003, 11:21 PM
If it's true that she was battered, then I would agree that it won't go to trial ...

... because Kobe will plea-bargain. No matter the testimony at the trial, the prosecution will be able to show the pictures over and over again. Even if she's crazy and suicidal and who's knows what, that doesn't give anyone the right to rape her.

TexPro
07-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Why wouldn't this go to trial?

The DA had a case against a public figure. District Attorneys like publicity. A trial of a public figure had strong preventative effects. A well publicized trial is usually pretty good for the prosecutor lucky enough to get the case. If it weren't for OJ Simpson, the nation would have never heard of Marcia Clark.

Kobe and his attorneys would have to make some sort of plea bargain to avoid trial. This would likely involve a guilty plea to some lesser offense and would result in at least a criminal record.

The best option for Kobe is to pay the woman off by settling any future civl claim. She could then decline to testify for the prosecution. While they would still have a case, it would be one without a compaining witness. If the prosecution tried the case, their chances of losing would increase.

My guess is that they are negotiating this now. :cooldevil