PDA

View Full Version : Game 5: Expectations

Mavs<Spurs
05-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Hornets are a much better team at home, not least of the reasons is that they are young.

However, I am very confident that we will execute in Game 5. I expect a great game out of the Spurs!

I think it will be close, but I believe that we will take the w.

This is a great Spurs team. This is the team that won it all last year.

We're the defending champs. We have won 3 of the last 5, 4 of the last 9.

We know how to get it done in important games.

E20
05-11-2008, 11:34 PM
My expectation is that we win.

T Park
05-11-2008, 11:35 PM
I expect something in the middle of games 3 and 4.

The Hornets took one hell of a punch to the mouth tonight and their reaction to it in the third quarter was NOT good.

Byron Scott's reaction to the third quarter run also was just shocking.

Spurs win it in the 4th, and cruise easily in game 6.

Mavs<Spurs
05-11-2008, 11:36 PM
We need to try to limit their easy baskets. Transition defense is important and so are defensive boards.

Paul and West may get big numbers, but if we shut down everybody else, then Paul and West aren't enough for the Hornets to win.

Push the ball.

ChumpDumper
05-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Both teams will play hard.

Mavs<Spurs
05-11-2008, 11:38 PM
I expect something in the middle of games 3 and 4.

The Hornets took one hell of a punch to the mouth tonight and their reaction to it in the third quarter was NOT good.

Byron Scott's reaction to the third quarter run also was just shocking.

Spurs win it in the 4th, and cruise easily in game 6.

He's seen this freight train before!

Remember 2003!

I do. Tim was a monster in Game 6!

Mavs<Spurs
05-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Both teams will play hard.

Always count on Sheed for some unusual insight and wisdom!

It is almost as enlightened as my thread (that's a low bar!). Didn't stop me from posting though.

:lol

T Park
05-11-2008, 11:40 PM
I think alot of Byron Scott's problem is, with his personnel, he can't make many adjustments.

I mean he could run Peja off some screens to free him up, but other than that, the Spurs defense has totally taken them out of their comfort zone's.

This series reminds me VERY VERY much of the Jazz series last year and the Spurs are just starting to take advantage of some things finally.

VaSpursFan
05-11-2008, 11:41 PM
i expect the spurs to take game 5. could very well be a tight game but when we get the lead and hold it for a bit, i expect NO to start pressing and fall apart. further, scott appears to be out of strategy. the SA train is rolling right now.

Go SPURS Go

dbreiden83080
I expect a tough game. Hornets are going to be frantic with the double teams on Timmy now that he just owned them tonight. Our shooters are going to be wide open. If Tony and Manu are aggressive and the ball movement is what it was tonight we will win a hard fought game. NO better win game 5, no way Spurs let them come into SA in game 6 and take it, Spurs will end it.

ducks
scott said at halftime the team is to tense we have to loose then up
hornets are done if they can not relax and just play ball

Mavs<Spurs
05-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I think alot of Byron Scott's problem is, with his personnel, he can't make many adjustments.

I mean he could run Peja off some screens to free him up, but other than that, the Spurs defense has totally taken them out of their comfort zone's.

This series reminds me VERY VERY much of the Jazz series last year and the Spurs are just starting to take advantage of some things finally.

With the Jazz, that pick and roll with Deron and Boozer just killed us.

That's was hard to stop.

(Nash / Stoudamire same thing- ).

Game 5 of that series (at home) was a massacre!

We had to win ugly in Utah last year! Crowd was mad. Physical!

ElNono
I hate the quick turnaround between the games. We could use fresher legs, especially in NO.
Byron Scott might actually have done us a favor by pulling the starters so early.

peskypesky
with Bowen now shutting Peja down, and a healthy Duncan, i expect a Spurs win...by 6-8 pts.

T Park
05-11-2008, 11:45 PM
You can't jackhammer a pin up the Hornet's asses right now.

You could see it in their face in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

If the Spurs come out, and smack em in the mouth again in the first half in New Orleans, that team will fold it up, just like they did tonight.

Their mental toughness is absolutely hot butter soft.

Mavs<Spurs
05-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I expect a tough game. Hornets are going to be frantic with the double teams on Timmy now that he just owned them tonight. Our shooters are going to be wide open. If Tony and Manu are aggressive and the ball movement is what it was tonight we will win a hard fought game. NO better win game 5, no way Spurs let them come into SA in game 6 and take it, Spurs will end it.

I think that's why we didn't shoot very well in game 1.

Tim was so sick that he couldn't create space for our shooters the way that he normally does.

Now that Tim is healthy again, we can get good open looks for our shooters!

That's always been how we win.

That's why we are such a great 3 point shooting team: It's Tim Duncan!

Spurminator
I expect either West or Paul to throw a punch at some point this series.

T Park
With the Jazz, that pick and roll with Deron and Boozer just killed us.

That's was hard to stop.

(Nash / Stoudamire same thing- ).

Game 5 of that series (at home) was a massacre!

We had to win ugly in Utah last year! Crowd was mad. Physical!

Ginobili won that game 4 single handidly practically.

Game 5 was a bitch slap of monumental purportions.

If game 5 against New Orleans goes like I think it will, game 6 will be QUITE similar.

BonnerDynasty
Trailing all game and taking the lead under 2 mins.

ducks
05-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I want a game 5 performance like like 3 against suns
get the hornet crowd out of it at the start and never let up

T Park

Oh if Kurt Thomas would be left on him, West will throw down. Kurt Thomas in that 3rd quarter in the small time he was in had him so pissed it was hilarious.

I think Peja looks like hes ready to explode.

Mavs<Spurs
You can't jackhammer a pin up the Hornet's asses right now.

You could see it in their face in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

If the Spurs come out, and smack em in the mouth again in the first half in New Orleans, that team will fold it up, just like they did tonight.

Their mental toughness is absolutely hot butter soft.

Like a Cheap suit!

Young team, pressure situation against the defending world champs after having been hammered and knowing that if they lose game5, the series is pretty much over!

ducks
05-11-2008, 11:48 PM
if spurs can get a lead early and get crowd of it it
the inexperience will rear its ugly head and doubt will creep in
and west was almost did someting he would have regretted in game 5

ElNono
05-11-2008, 11:50 PM

Agreed. And I think the biggest odds right now are on West punching Oberto. He was close tonight...

Mavs<Spurs
05-11-2008, 11:51 PM
I want a game 5 performance like like 3 against suns
get the hornet crowd out of it at the start and never let up

That's why I am looking for.

I expect us to play that well.

I always watch those last 5 minutes of Game 4 in Cleveland in the Finals!

Execution, baby, it's all about execution in the Finals.

Composure, poise, awareness of the situation, being able to recognize what is available to you. Playing together as a team. The ability to get stops.

Discipline.

Having been there and done it. The confidence that this brings with you.

We will be focused and sharp. I expect a low turnover, high intensity game with crisp cuts, great passing, pounding those boards, getting back on d.

thiste
05-11-2008, 11:52 PM
I expect the Spurs to be up at half time, not by much, just like in game 1 & 2. The difference will be in how we handle the third.

ducks
05-11-2008, 11:52 PM
barkley said west should hard foul oberto early in game and tell him to go to hell

VinnyTestesVerde
05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Agreed. And I think the biggest odds right now are on West punching Oberto. He was close tonight...

no kidding. every time the camera caught west's face it looked like he was about to boil over...

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
It's going to come down to Byron adjusting his offense.

If he stays stuck on Paul creating all the opportunities for his teammates, they are done.

If he comes up with some set plays for Peja to spring him from his Bowenjacket and get West the ball on the move, it will get more interesting.

As long as Pop continues to give them a heavy dose of the pick and roll and our flex O and doesn't go back to his four down security blanket, I don't see NO slowing down our offense.

Mavs<Spurs
05-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Ginobili won that game 4 single handidly practically.

Game 5 was a bitch slap of monumental purportions.

If game 5 against New Orleans goes like I think it will, game 6 will be QUITE similar.

We've got such clutch players.

Look at our team:

Tim Duncan (what he's done in the Finals - game 7 of 2005)

Ginobili (same)

Tony - entire finals last year

Bruce and his defense!

Horry!

Barry!

And Oberto is such a smart, crafty player!

Our Spurs team is tough to beat in a 7 game series.

GSH
05-11-2008, 11:55 PM
The Spurs are making the extra passes out of the double team, and getting wide-open, almost uncontested looks any time they want them. And when they knock down the jumpers, it forces the defense to contest, and the paint opens up again. As long as the Spurs have some perimeter support, nobody is going to beat them in a 7-game series.

The problem is, we aren't in a 7-game series now. I think the key in Game 5 will be playing smart for the first 6 minutes of the game. If either team gets one of their starters into early foul trouble, it will probably decide the outcome of the game.

The Hornets are going to be pressing, after getting shown up 2 games in a row. And they are going to be trying to take it right at the Spurs in the middle. It's going to be tempting to try and set up for charges and get those early fouls on Chandler and/or West. But if a couple of those calls go the wrong way, we would be the ones against the wall.

I think that as long as the Spurs starters have enough free fouls during the middle and later stages of the game, so that they don't have to play cautiously on defense, the Hornets will be looking at an elimination game when they come back to San Antonio.

ElNono
05-11-2008, 11:57 PM
barkley said west should hard foul oberto early in game and tell him to go to hell

Because we all know how successful Chuck has been in the Playoffs...:rolleyes

ducks
05-11-2008, 11:57 PM
why did pop go to heavy 4-down in game one when duncan had a fever?

Mavs<Spurs
05-11-2008, 11:58 PM

I couldn't say.

Anyone else want to take a stab at this one?

Flux451
05-11-2008, 11:59 PM
West is getting a Technical and his game will suck in the second half, decent in the first.
Chandler will be another tumble weed taking up space.
Peja will have an average game.
Wright will play more mins.
Paul will be Paul.

Spurs will take it with clutch shots from bowen and ginobli. Duncan controling the game like he has been, without the ball.

Parker will have an Mvp game.

We will finally see some emotion from Byron Scott.

Pop will yell at someone.

Refs will call the fouls that should have been called tonight. Hornets got away with a lot tonight.

T Park
05-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Probobly hoping he would shake it off.

Its in the past, no reason to worry about it now.

ElNono
05-12-2008, 12:00 AM
no kidding. every time the camera caught west's face it looked like he was about to boil over...

What I find funny is that he played macho with Dirk right away in the last round, but he knows he can't pull that shit with us

Mavs<Spurs
05-12-2008, 12:03 AM
What I find funny is that he played macho with Dirk right away in the last round, but he knows he can't pull that shit with us

this isn't a soft team.

that's the difference.

Mavs<Spurs
05-12-2008, 12:04 AM
West is getting a Technical and his game will suck in the second half, decent in the first.
Chandler will be another tumble weed taking up space.
Peja will have an average game.
Wright will play more mins.
Paul will be Paul.

Spurs will take it with clutch shots from bowen and ginobli. Duncan controling the game like he has been, without the ball.

Parker will have an Mvp game.

We will finally see some emotion from Byron Scott.

Pop will yell at someone.

Refs will call the fouls that should have been called tonight. Hornets got away with a lot tonight.

Steve Javie, where are you?

Please tell me that he is the ref for game 5 in New Orleans!

peskypesky
05-12-2008, 12:04 AM

i know i'd take advice from a guy who never got a ring.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2008, 12:05 AM
I think that's why we didn't shoot very well in game 1.

Tim was so sick that he couldn't create space for our shooters the way that he normally does.

Now that Tim is healthy again, we can get good open looks for our shooters!

That's always been how we win.

That's why we are such a great 3 point shooting team: It's Tim Duncan!

When will people get it through their head? The difference in our offense was that in games 1-2 we were stuck on four down. Byron was bringing the hard double on Tim and daring our shooters to beat New Orleans. I'm not sure what it was in game 1, but in game 2 we scored a whopping 4 points out of the four down set when Duncan was doubled (21 possessions) in the second half. Four points.

Since then we basically ditched four down for the pick and roll.

In game 3, we ran 4down about 20% of the game, the rest of the time were either pick and roll, flex motion, or iso sets.

Tonight, you got four down on 8 possessions; 55 possessions of pick and roll, flex, iso, and inbound sets (87%).

New Orleans has done a generally poor job of guarding the pick and roll. They don't hedge well, and Paul and Chandler are basically a poor man's Nash and Shaq when it comes to defending the pick and roll. Chandler has gotten into foul trouble trying to stay with Parker on the switch, and Parker has made jumper after jumper if Paul goes under the screen.

We've also gotten more layups and short shots out of this offensive philosophy change, which has increased the confidence of all the shooters and basically made New Orleans into a scrambling, stumbling squad defensively.

Mavs<Spurs
05-12-2008, 12:06 AM
i know i'd take advice from a guy who never got a ring.

Barkeley's been taking a lot of stupid pills lately.

He used to know basketball.

Now, he doesn't.

Kenny is better than Chuck now.

T Park
05-12-2008, 12:06 AM
I think Joey Crawford is gonna be the ref for game 5, and that could be a good thing for the Spurs. If the Hornets get smacked around and start getting chippy again like they were in that third quarter (I'm looking at you David West) then Joey is gonna lay the law down and smack em with some technicals.

ducks
05-12-2008, 12:07 AM
we should never go to 4 down all the time when our shooters are shooting ok for the night

ducks
05-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Barkeley's been taking a lot of stupid pills lately.

He used to know basketball.

Now, he doesn't.

Kenny is better than Chuck now.

I think tnt wants one guy to pick on team and the other guy to pick the other team
kenny and charles flipped the coin and charles lost:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2008, 12:09 AM

Why did he waste Bowen on Paul when Bowen has been lockdown on Peja?

Pop got sucked in by what Scott was doing out on the court, and never adjusted.

I think you could guess that he figured Duncan wasn't going to carry the load offensively but he could set up his teammates for open looks with the type of D New Orleans was playing.

The problem was that you're asking the role players to win a game in a hostile environment like that with what is a low percentage shot. And it backfired.

Mavs<Spurs
05-12-2008, 12:09 AM
When will people get it through their head? The difference in our offense was that in games 1-2 we were stuck on four down. Byron was bringing the hard double on Tim and daring our shooters to beat New Orleans. I'm not sure what it was in game 1, but in game 2 we scored a whopping 4 points out of the four down set when Duncan was doubled (21 possessions) in the second half. Four points.

Since then we basically ditched four down for the pick and roll.

In game 3, we ran 4down about 20% of the game, the rest of the time were either pick and roll, flex motion, or iso sets.

Tonight, you got four down on 8 possessions; 55 possessions of pick and roll, flex, iso, and inbound sets (87%).

New Orleans has done a generally poor job of guarding the pick and roll. They don't hedge well, and Paul and Chandler are basically a poor man's Nash and Shaq when it comes to defending the pick and roll. Chandler has gotten into foul trouble trying to stay with Parker on the switch, and Parker has made jumper after jumper if Paul goes under the screen.

We've also gotten more layups and short shots out of this offensive philosophy change, which has increased the confidence of all the shooters and basically made New Orleans into a scrambling, stumbling squad defensively.

Pop also talked about pushing the ball so that we could get easier looks.

ducks
05-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Why did he waste Bowen on Paul when Bowen has been lockdown on Peja?

Pop got sucked in by what Scott was doing out on the court, and never adjusted.

I think you could guess that he figured Duncan wasn't going to carry the load offensively but he could set up his teammates for open looks with the type of D New Orleans was playing.

The problem was that you're asking the role players to win a game in a hostile environment like that with what is a low percentage shot. And it backfired.
maybe he thought bowen would slow and frustrate paul
that backfired:bang:bang:bang

K-State Spur
05-12-2008, 12:12 AM
if it's still a ballgame entering the 4th quarter, gotta like the Spurs' chances. Better depth + better experience + the ability to get stops on a consistent basis.

new orleans really needs to beat the spurs in the first 3 quarters if they are going to do it.

now, taking this into account with tonight's beatdown, it may take the hornets a half to regain their footing (if they ever are able to make adjustments to counter the Spurs' adjustments - certainly that is in doubt at this point).

we can also add in that this is probably the first time that this Hornets team will ever feel playoff pressure. if they don't win game 5, they likely will have played their last home game until the fall. the Spurs can actually lose this game and still have the advantage in game 6 at home and game 7 with their experience (not that any of them would want to put that to the test in the least).

NOH have one veteran who has played in pressure playoff games in Peja...and he hasn't exactly responded well to that pressure. Everybody remembers him jacking up airballs on wide open shots during Game 7.

All of this bodes very well for the next game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Pop also talked about pushing the ball so that we could get easier looks.

That's some coachspeak. We only had six true transition opportunities tonight.

Mavs<Spurs
we should never go to 4 down all the time when our shooters are shooting ok for the night

So, what I'm getting out of this is that 4 down is okay every once in a while, but we end up with better possessions and better shots if we run pick and roll or a flex-motion offense?

Is that basically correct?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2008, 12:13 AM
maybe he thought bowen would slow and frustrate paul
that backfired:bang:bang:bang

It's okay that he thought that, the beef most people (myself included) had with that is that when it was clear that Bowen on Paul wasn't working (and that it was allowing Peja and MoPete to go off) he didn't adjust, and it lost them game 1 and game 2.

T Park
05-12-2008, 12:13 AM
if it's still a ballgame entering the 4th quarter, gotta like the Spurs' chances. Better depth + better experience + the ability to get stops on a consistent basis.

new orleans really needs to beat the spurs in the first 3 quarters if they are going to do it.

now, taking this into account with tonight's beatdown, it may take the hornets a half to regain their footing (if they ever are able to make adjustments to counter the Spurs' adjustments - certainly that is in doubt at this point).

we can also add in that this is probably the first time that this Hornets team will ever feel playoff pressure. if they don't win game 5, they likely will have played their last home game until the fall. the Spurs can actually lose this game and still have the advantage in game 6 at home and game 7 with their experience (not that any of them would want to put that to the test in the least).

NOH one veteran who has played in pressure playoff games in Peja...and he hasn't exactly responded well to that pressure. Everybody remembers him jacking up airballs on wide open shots during Game 7.

All of this bodes very well for the next game.

Yeah Peja is absolutely shot for this series.

Bowen has set up camp so far up his ass its not even funny.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2008, 12:15 AM
So, what I'm getting out of this is that 4 down is okay every once in a while, but we end up with better possessions and better shots if we run pick and roll or a flex-motion offense?

Is that basically correct?

Ding ding ding...

Here is my game 3 breakdown.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94672

I'll get around to game 4 tomorrow but you've already got the basic overview here in this thread (8 four down possessions, 55 other offensive sets).

We actually scored on six of eight possessions tonight where we ran 4down, but that's because it was mixed in with our other plays effectively, but not as a staple of the offense.

T Park
05-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Also something else to watch, I really REALLY liked on the defensive end, the matchup when Udoka, Thomas, Duncan, Ginobili, Bowen, is in the game. Udoka guards Paul, Bowen Peja and so on.

That IMO, is REALLY REALLY a good matchup and I hope pop took notice and goes with it for a tad in game 5.

Mavs<Spurs
05-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Pop was kind of stubborn about that.

Before the series began, I thought Bowen or Parker would be able to contain Paul a lot more than they have been able to.

I knew Paul was a great player, but he's even better than I thought.

No wonder he was second on the mvp voting.

Mavs<Spurs
05-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Also something else to watch, I really REALLY liked on the defensive end, the matchup when Udoka, Thomas, Duncan, Ginobili, Bowen, is in the game. Udoka guards Paul, Bowen Peja and so on.

That IMO, is REALLY REALLY a good matchup and I hope pop took notice and goes with it for a tad in game 5.

Paul isn't too quick for Udoka?

Kori Ellis
05-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Ding ding ding...

Here is my game 3 breakdown.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94672

I'll get around to game 4 tomorrow but you've already got the basic overview here in this thread (8 four down possessions, 55 other offensive sets).

We actually scored on six of eight possessions tonight where we ran 4down, but that's because it was mixed in with our other plays effectively, but not as a staple of the offense.

You are trying to say they only ran 4-down eight times tonight?

T Park
05-12-2008, 12:22 AM

Not at all.

Udoka moved his feet well when on him, and Udoka is a pretty thick body to bang on him.

Its ok to do for a few minutes while Tony is resting.

Thats all.

Kori Ellis

When did that happen?

T Park
When did that happen?

Second quarter I believe.

ducks
the start of the 4 I think

Aggie Hoopsfan

Yeah. I'm only counting it when they put him on the low block. Tim got some isos and was moved up high at the FT line a couple of times but that's what I charted out.

ducks

no game was over garbage time

Kori Ellis

Only 1-2 possessions?

K-State Spur

he certainly is. but the other match-ups favor the spurs.

it forces Paul to look to score first.

from Paul's perspective - no big deal. he's shown that he can score at an elite level.

from everybody else's perspective - big trouble. everybody else on that team (with the possible exception of west) requires Paul to get them open looks.

T Park
05-12-2008, 12:23 AM
no game was over garbage time

Noooo, it was in the second or third quarters.

I remember Duncan and others being in.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2008, 12:24 AM
When did that happen?

They did it in the second quarter when Ime was playing well. He was on Bonzi initially (as he has been as a sub since game 2), but even when Bonzi went out Pop kept him in and slid him over to Paul to give Tony a rest.

T Park
he certainly is. but the other match-ups favor the spurs.

it forces Paul to look to score first.

from Paul's perspective - no big deal. he's shown that he can score at an elite level.

from everybody else's perspective - big trouble. everybody else on that team (with the possible exception of west) requires Paul to get them open looks.

He doesn't get BLOWN BY, but, he can hang pretty decently.

Its just a big body to bang on him and make it tough for him to lob up to Chandler.

beachwood
I was actually surprised how demoralized the hornets seemed tonight. you could see their confidence fade starting in the 2nd quarter. even the suns fought back harder when we were smacking them around.

T Park
05-12-2008, 12:25 AM
They did it in the second quarter when Ime was playing well. He was on Bonzi initially (as he has been as a sub since game 2), but even when Bonzi went out Pop kept him in and slid him over to Paul to give Tony a rest.

THATS EXACTLY when it happened.

Thanks.

ducks
they did it in the second to yes but I think at the start of 4 they did
duncan and manu started 4

T Park
I was actually surprised how demoralized the hornets seemed tonight. you could see their confidence fade starting in the 2nd quarter. even the suns fought back harder when we were smacking them around.

Yeah I expected the third quarter to be a tit for tat quarter with the Spurs leading by 14 going to the 4th, then blowing it open. Oh well, hopefully they fold the tent up the same way in games 5 and 6.

Aggie Hoopsfan
The Udoka thing is kinda like how Kittles used to defend Parker pretty well with his length. And Grant Hill as well (when he was healthy).

Udoka is pretty quick and between his foot speed and length bother Paul's shot (and take away that lob over the top to Chandler).

Kori's right though, it was only a couple of possessions (like 3-4 tops).

ducks
05-12-2008, 12:26 AM

hornets coach said at halftime his team was pressing and told his assist they need to get the players to relax:lol

Mavs<Spurs
05-12-2008, 12:27 AM
It would seem like he is a better match up with Bonzi, at first glance.

But if he's able to do a decent job on him.

Nobody is going to stop him.

Kori Ellis
05-12-2008, 12:29 AM

In the 2nd quarter, Parker was only off the floor for 18 seconds during the time Paul was on the floor. That was from 4:00-3:42. Paul made a basket during that time. (Unless I'm missing something.)

T Park
05-12-2008, 12:30 AM
The Udoka thing is kinda like how Kittles used to defend Parker pretty well with his length. And Grant Hill as well (when he was healthy).

Udoka is pretty quick and between his foot speed and length bother Paul's shot (and take away that lob over the top to Chandler).

Kori's right though, it was only a couple of possessions (like 3-4 tops).

I still say its something that should be at least considered while Parker is getting a rest. I think its an advantage that could be utilized. IMO after tonight, udoka earned some minutes.

boutons_
05-12-2008, 12:30 AM
"Push the ball."

Has anybody seen Tony walking the ball up the court even once in Game3,4?

All the Spurs' D rebounds were looking immediately for the outlet, and often finding it.

Even with Tony 1 on 3 or 4, he was still looking to blow past.

Total, dominating aggression. Pushing, pushing, pushing. Very frustrating to play against that.

And then when the Hornets had the ball, they had to deal with Championship defense.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2008, 12:32 AM

Pop played Ime against Bonzi in the second half when the game was out of hand, and Ime locked him. So it's almost accidental that Pop found a matchup against Bonzi that worked.

But since then, Ime's come into the game whenever Bonzi comes in, he's basically the Bonzi stopper :lol

Tonight Pop was a little off the cuff and kept Ime out there even after Bonzi left, it was nice to go with his gut instead of playing the stats and scouting report on that decision.

K-State Spur
05-12-2008, 12:32 AM

he is the single best one-on-one defender we would have for bonzi.

but ultimately, that this team is much better on the defensive glass from 2006 is what negates bonzi (plus that he is not the rebounder that he was 2 years ago).

keep him off the boards and you can live with him shooting contested jumpers and fade-away 10 footers. the put-backs on third opportunities were what killed.

beachwood
05-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Yeah I expected the third quarter to be a tit for tat quarter with the Spurs leading by 14 going to the 4th, then blowing it open. Oh well, hopefully they fold the tent up the same way in games 5 and 6.

That's what i'm hoping.

This series is far from over, but I like what i'm seeing from us out there. These wins have not been simply about the hornets missing shots open shots on the road. We are taking them out of their game. It's tangible and they look uncomfortable. You can see the hornets breaking down when CP is not allowed to do whatever he wants. the other players look lost.

and watching peja on that out of control drive to the basket with bowen draped all over him was one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen.

T Park
Pop played Ime against Bonzi in the second half when the game was out of hand, and Ime locked him. So it's almost accidental that Pop found a matchup against Bonzi that worked.

But since then, Ime's come into the game whenever Bonzi comes in, he's basically the Bonzi stopper :lol

Tonight Pop was a little off the cuff and kept Ime out there even after Bonzi left, it was nice to go with his gut instead of playing the stats and scouting report on that decision.

Yeah Pops been listening to that fuckhead Dennis Lindsey too much.

Kori Ellis
In the 2nd quarter, Parker was only off the floor for 18 seconds during the time Paul was on the floor. That was from 4:00-3:42. Paul made a basket during that time. (Unless I'm missing something.)

Yes, I'm quoting myself. I am still wondering when it was. It doesn't seem it was in the 2nd,

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2008, 12:34 AM

Hmm, maybe the third then? I could have sworn it was earlier in the game, but I could be wrong on that. Was paying more attention to the offense than what we were doing with personnel.

T Park
05-12-2008, 12:35 AM
That's what i'm hoping.

This series is far from over, but I like what i'm seeing from us out there. These wins have not been simply about the hornets missing shots open shots on the road. We are taking them out of their game. It's tangible and they look uncomfortable. You can see the hornets breaking down when CP is not allowed to do whatever he wants. the other players look lost.

and watching peja on that out of control drive to the basket with bowen draped all over him was one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen.

Agreed.

If the Spurs were making shots while covered and Pop hadn't made any adjustments then I would be saying something else.

These wins though were old school Spurs kick your teeth in defensive gems. Especially tonight.

Kori Ellis
05-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Hmm, maybe the third then? I could have sworn it was earlier in the game, but I could be wrong on that. Was paying more attention to the offense than what we were doing with personnel.

I'm guessing it was last 1:51 of the third then.

spurscenter
05-12-2008, 12:42 AM
dont forget the Refs, ill wait till I hear who the refs will be.

ChumpDumper
05-12-2008, 12:43 AM
I agree with AHF's contention that Scott will have to tweak the offense depending slightly on whether Paul and West can create more foul trouble for the Spurs than they did tonight. If they can't, the Hornets will need to incorporate a lot more player and ball movement to free guys up for better shots. They are so dependent on the offense-creation and defense-drawing of their two stars, I'm not sure how much of that their lineups can do.

The Truth #6
05-12-2008, 12:44 AM
I think it will be incredibly close down to the wire. I'm thinking like Game 5 in 04 versus the Lakers or Game 5 in 05 versus the Pistons. It should be good.

homer
05-12-2008, 01:12 AM

What he's trying to say is that Pop finally made the adjustments to win and we have, so actually his question was really a mute point at the start of game 3. The 4-out,1-In offense set( or 4-down as he calls it) has been an offensive staple of the Spurs for years and usually works very well. Pop made the correct adjustments and now we're winning, so who cares about games 1&2 anymore?:ihit:lobt:

ecksodia
05-12-2008, 01:50 AM
I expect a spurs win.

romain.star
05-12-2008, 03:53 AM
as i expected a great game from TP last night who reached the 2000 points mark in the post season (at 25 years old!), i expect a monster game from Manu who will play his 100th playoffs game

awktalk
05-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Repeat of 2005 Game 5 Finals. Stay close till the end, come up with the last big shot. Except instead of Horry, it'll be Finley. Book it...

peewee's lovechild
05-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Game 5 is going to be extremely physical.

I look for the tension to be high and for NO to throw everything at the Spurs. NO's back is against the wall now. They're going to be throwing lots of cheap shots.

This is going to be one good game.

peewee's lovechild
05-12-2008, 07:26 AM
I say the Spurs will win it by at least 5.

td4mvp3
05-12-2008, 08:04 AM
hornets by 10 or more. they've waxed the spurs by 20 points four times now, they'll remember that.

peewee's lovechild
05-12-2008, 08:06 AM
hornets by 10 or more. they've waxed the spurs by 20 points four times now, they'll remember that.

That's not going to happen.

ballhog
05-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Looks to be a close game in NO. I like the Spurs in a close game at this stage against a young team. Paul can't do it all.

m33p0
05-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Spurs win, Hornets lose. Those are the things I expect.

rascal
05-12-2008, 08:47 AM
I expect the winner of game 5 to close the series out in game 6.

If the spurs win game 5 they don't let the Hornets send it to a game 7 because that would set up an elimination game 7.

If the Hornets win game 5 the spurs don't have a good record when facing their own elimination, so the spurs will also lose game 6.

DazedAndConfused
05-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Spurs win big, and I mean big in Game 5. It's all over.

boutons_
05-12-2008, 09:44 AM
I expect the Spurs to turn a classic "elimination" W for Game5, since returning 3-2 to ATT is essentially elimination of these over-achieving, arrogant, pretentious, punk-ass kids.

With Tim back at 100% health, in HoFer playoff mode, and the Spurs' defense if full playoff intensity, Hornets' 2-0 is SO history, they are done.

yeah, yeah, we still have to play the games, we're talking about "expectations".

Spurminator
05-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I expect the winner of game 5 to close the series out in game 6.

If the spurs win game 5 they don't let the Hornets send it to a game 7 because that would set up an elimination game 7.

If the Hornets win game 5 the spurs don't have a good record when facing their own elimination, so they lose game 6.

The Spurs are 3-1 since 2004 when facing elimination.

This team simply doesn't roll over anymore.

td4mvp3
05-12-2008, 11:42 AM
That's not going to happen.

based on what? their 20-plus point victories every time they've beaten the spurs or the fact that they have beaten the spurs four times already this year or the fact that the spurs have never come back from down 0-2? i'm happy the spurs won at home, but the hornets are young and that typically means not playing so hot on the road. the 20-point drubbing just gives them more reason to focus for a game at home and honestly i still see little that can be done to stop west and paul consistently (game 4 notwithstanding in regards to west, everyone has a bad game, see duncan's 5-point debacle).

T Park
05-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Rascal is still living in 2001.

TampaDude
05-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Duncan = Healthy

Spurs = WINNER

Series = Spurs in 6

'nuff said...

rascal
05-12-2008, 11:47 AM
The Spurs are 3-1 since 2004 when facing elimination.

This team simply doesn't roll over anymore.

Name the 3 games the spurs were facing elimination and won since 2004.

Spurminator
05-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Game 7 against the Pistons.

Games 5 and 6 against the Mavs in 2006.

And if not for an untimely foul on Dirk, that record might be 4-0.

ElNono
05-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Name the 3 games the spurs were facing elimination and won since 2004.

I remember one: 2005 NBA Finals Game 7 vs Detroit.

TampaDude
05-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I remember one: 2005 NBA Finals Game 7 vs Detroit.

Yup...

BEST.
FINALS.
EVER.

:hat

vander
05-12-2008, 12:01 PM
It all depends on Finley, if he takes and hits the open threes, we will win. if he misses, or pump fakes and drives or passes, we will lose.

rascal
05-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Game 7 against the Pistons.

Games 5 and 6 against the Mavs in 2006.

And if not for an untimely foul on Dirk, that record might be 4-0.

Yes, I checked it. They did win 3 elimination games. You are right. Didn't think about Dallas since they lost that series. And the game 7 vs Det. was the final game of the season and for the title which I thought they would win so I didn't count that one either. I have always felt the spurs will never lose in the finals.

That shoots down my theory that they don't win elimination games.

ElNono
05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
It all depends on Finley, if he takes and hits the open threes, we will win. if he misses, or pump fakes and drives or passes, we will lose.

I actually think it depends more on Tony. If he gets blocked early a couple of times by Chandler and stops penetrating and being aggressive, we're done.
This happened in Game 1 and 2. He just stopped trying and started taking J's like it was nobody's business. We need him to slice that defense.

vander
05-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I actually think it depends more on Tony. If he gets blocked early a couple of times by Chandler and stops penetrating and being aggressive, we're done.
This happened in Game 1 and 2. He just stopped trying and started taking J's like it was nobody's business. We need him to slice that defense.

but even if tony can't penetrate, we can use the doubles they send at TD, just get him the ball in the low post, then find the open shooter, Bowen I trust in spite of yesterday, but Finley is the X factor. if the 3s go in, the D will lose a little confidence, and TP will get aggressive again. :king

MI21
05-12-2008, 12:19 PM
I reckon it will be a one possesion type game heading into the last 2 minutes. No idea who will win... I have a feeling somebody from either team is going to do something incredible to win the game. To be completely honest, I'm feeling Horry... Just a feeling!