PDA

View Full Version : Spurs only proved one part of Hornets equasion

Brutalis
05-12-2008, 01:31 AM
Games 1 and 2 saw a lot of hustle and energy by the Hornets fresh off a convincing series win over the hapless Mavericks. Something the Spurs left in San Antonio. Left looking for fouls and losing complete focus in a 19 and 18 point meltdown.

Game 3 provided much needed rest and time to think about what happened, what went wrong in the Cajun city. A key defensive switch and a sense of urgency proved to the Hornets the Spurs are not about to just lay down. Peja caught a flat and the mid range shot West had, was lost.

All the pressure then seemed to be greater. That victory needed to be validated by another to make this a series. San Antonio came into game 4 with their horse at full speed. Timmy sustained consistent play and it opened up everybody else to step up and contribute. Once again Parker did his job, and Manu stepped in when needed. Bruce once again shut down Peja and West was a complete non-factor as he and the Hornets showed flaws and weakness. Oberto and Finley did a wonderful job contributing as well.

Normally when the Spurs pull two straight convincing playoff wins, it takes a series command or to the brink of its end. This time it just saved our butts, to basically give ourselves a chance to win this series now.

So I hear on the TV, and on the net, about how the pressure has shifted onto the Hornets entering game 5 Tuesday in the 2nd of a double header. But for honesty's sake I know it's on the Spurs as much if not more.

They just came back from what everyone and even some loyalists said couldn't be done. And no team has won on the road yet. So do you say, we made the switch on Peja, Manu is starting we will be fine? Should a fan be so arrogant?

San Antonio has proven half of itself to me so far. One, being they and we as fans cannot use the old excuse. If we lose it is not because of our age and legs, it is because of our decision making on the court be that by the players and or Pop.

And the other being that, we have now proven we can at least contend with the Hornets. This is why we play 7 game series to begin with, the better team wins 99% of the time. We will find out now if we are just that. That is what is left to prove.

So let them say all the pressure is on New Orleans to answer the Spurs comeback. Let them say, the Hornets have to prove they are for real. When in reality we are going to either prove that or not Tuesday night for ourselves. Winning game 5 means we close it out at home. Losing game 5 means you are just surviving again, and answering questions. We would obviously have to then just win at home, to get a chance to play at NO for 7. In which case we would still not have won there yet.

A lot is left to be proven. But tonight I drink to our comeback. This team showed me a lot, more than I have seen since the Suns series now. But not enough for what is expected. If you don't like this thread then great, there's not many good one's anyways! (and lefty called spurs in 6 before you probably)

I eat my spam with a spork.

:flag:

Game 5
Believe

DespЏrado
05-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Nice post. We have got lot's to prove yet, but the Spurs at least are back in championship form. Game 5 will be good because it will be nice to see if the Spurs play 3 great games in a row something they couldn't do as the regular season ended, and that will go a long way toward proving that they are favorites for the ring.

This is a big test, spotting the Hornets two games gave the fans a chance to see the Spurs play with their back to the wall, and so far I've loved the way they have responded.

theMUHMEshow
05-12-2008, 02:01 AM
go hogs! hope Mallett does well...great kid IMO

Parkerlooms
05-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Je mange mon Spam avec un spork aussi

Brutalis
05-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Nice post. We have got lot's to prove yet, but the Spurs at least are back in championship form. Game 5 will be good because it will be nice to see if the Spurs play 3 great games in a row something they couldn't do as the regular season ended, and that will go a long way toward proving that they are favorites for the ring.

This is a big test, spotting the Hornets two games gave the fans a chance to see the Spurs play with their back to the wall, and so far I've loved the way they have responded.

It's our teams gut check time in my honest opinion. Someone needs to tell them if they want to repeat, if they want to make it anywhere else in this playoffs, to win Tuesday night.

Manufan909
05-12-2008, 02:53 AM
From what I've seen, I think whoever said the real Spurs are back is right. We didn't only beat them in the third, we beat them THE WHOLE GAME. The Spurs need to play like they did tonight, and it's theirs. We know Peja won't factor, so as long as TP+TD+MG>>>CP3+DW, the Spurs have it in the bag.

Cry Havoc
05-12-2008, 03:26 AM
The Hornets problem is that their entire game essentially boils down to a David West jumper.

Yes, they have Chris Paul.

And the Spurs have Tony Parker, who is matching and even bettering him thus far.

Yes, they have Peja.

The Spurs have Bowen, who is absolutely shutting him down now.

The Hornets have David West, except when the Spurs are closing on him, denying the ball, and he's missing the jumpers he gets.

Really, what then? What else do they have? Lobs to Chandler? Blocked or cut off. Pargo firing away from downtown? That's.... basically admitting the Spurs have the series.

Meanwhile, the Hornets have no one who can guard Duncan. No one who can guard or even slow Tony. And no one who can guard Manu.

Most importantly, the Hornets have no answer for the scythe-sharp passing that the Spurs showed tonight in San Antonio. Their defense is very active. But it's not great.

The Spurs are great man to man on D AND very active around the court. That's the difference.

ballhog
05-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Tim's looking sharp now. That may be the difference. NO will be jacked-up Tues but I think Pop has figured out this team. Defensive matchups have been the key in the last 2 games.

Ocotillo
05-12-2008, 09:13 AM
All game 4 did for me was allow me to exhale.

I am far from arrogant because Tuesday is huge. If our guys play Spurs defense, we will win. Even though they are a young team, New Orleans is talented and we have to expect that they and their home crowd will come out ferocious.

SpurAddict561
05-12-2008, 09:14 AM
and don't forget their mascot too, Ocotillo!

He was on fire game 1, literally...........

Sasha
05-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Someone needs to tell them if they want to repeat, if they want to make it anywhere else in this playoffs, to win Tuesday night.

I doubt if anyone needs to tell them that. I bet they already know it. :hat

oboymeetsogirl
05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Tomorrow's game will show for sure if the Spurs have merely been

1. "Contending" with the the Hornets
2. "Protecting" home court.

My gut feeling is that games 1 and 2 were anomalies, with Timmy under the weather and Manu's left ankle giving him hell. Of course, teams are supposed to be able to play through these deficiencies. But really: having Timmy in less than 50% condition is like the Bulls without MJ, the Showtime Lakers without Magic, or the championship Rockets without Dream. The great teams of the past could never have survived without the individuals around which the teams were built, and the Spurs are no different.

But if the Spurs come out of games 5 and 6 with significant victories, then we'll all know for sure that the Hornets never really "belonged." That they were just another young, hot, star-led team on the roll (re the miseries of the Mavs, Suns, Nuggets, etc., or recent Eastern Conference finalists like the Kidd-led Nets and LeBron's Cavs)... until bumping up against a hardened champion.

Based upon the information we have -- re the past two games, and the Spurs' success against teams they've "figured out" during the past few years -- I have a feeling that this series will not see a seventh game. And of course, as a Spurs fan I'm also hoping for this.

DazedAndConfused
05-12-2008, 06:45 PM
It's crazy how much this series has changed after 2 games. Now it is NOH that has to adjust and find a way to get things going again. Scott has a huge problem on his hands because both the offense and defense are struggling for the Hornets.

He's got to throw something new at SAS this time around. The same old doubling of Duncan probably won't work, Spurs are making an extra pass to find the guy that is WIDE open. NBA players don't miss those kind of shots often.

Brutalis
05-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Tomorrow's game will show for sure if the Spurs have merely been

1. "Contending" with the the Hornets
2. "Protecting" home court.

My gut feeling is that games 1 and 2 were anomalies, with Timmy under the weather and Manu's left ankle giving him hell. Of course, teams are supposed to be able to play through these deficiencies. But really: having Timmy in less than 50% condition is like the Bulls without MJ, the Showtime Lakers without Magic, or the championship Rockets without Dream. The great teams of the past could never have survived without the individuals around which the teams were built, and the Spurs are no different.

But if the Spurs come out of games 5 and 6 with significant victories, then we'll all know for sure that the Hornets never really "belonged." That they were just another young, hot, star-led team on the roll (re the miseries of the Mavs, Suns, Nuggets, etc., or recent Eastern Conference finalists like the Kidd-led Nets and LeBron's Cavs)... until bumping up against a hardened champion.

Based upon the information we have -- re the past two games, and the Spurs' success against teams they've "figured out" during the past few years -- I have a feeling that this series will not see a seventh game. And of course, as a Spurs fan I'm also hoping for this.

I hope so too.