PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake In China: 7.8; More Than 8,500 Dead

duncan228
05-12-2008, 11:40 AM
http://www.cnn.com/

Quake kills thousands, traps hundreds

A massive 7.8-magnitude earthquake killed more than 8,500 people in China and left hundreds trapped under rubble, state run media report. Some 900 students are reported buried under a collapsed school. China's Seismological Bureau said the quake affected more than half the country's provinces and municipalities. developing story...

Trainwreck2100
05-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Looks like they're going to have to say fuck Myanmar and fly the food north

E20
05-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Good thing I live in California and no Earthquakes here phew.............

What are the odds two back to back major natural diasters, wonder what the plan is as far as getting aid to these countries.

ChumpDumper
05-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Looks like they're going to have to say fuck Myanmar and fly the food northThe goverment of Myanmar already said fuck Myanmar. China at least has some capacity to take care of its own.

Thunder Dan
05-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Good thing I live in California and no Earthquakes here phew.............

they had one on Saved By The Bell when Mrs. Belding was going to have the baby

peewee's lovechild
05-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Arrogant Christians:

God showed his disapproval of the Chinese people by sending an earthquake their way.

jman3000
05-12-2008, 01:17 PM
i'd actually assume that much more than 8500 people would die from an earthquake of that magnitude... especially in a country as populated as china.

i reckon that number will at least double.

Don Quixote
05-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Arrogant Christians:

God showed his disapproval of the Chinese people by sending an earthquake their way.

Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner!

Yes, that's exactly what we believe and teach.

ChumpDumper
05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
That's what Hagee teaches anyway.

Don Quixote
05-12-2008, 01:31 PM
The people in this region of China will most certainly be in our hearts and prayers. I bet they will also be on the receiving end of alot of aid from both governmental and private, and religious, agencies.

peewee's lovechild
05-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner!

Yes, that's exactly what we believe and teach.

You're an arrogant christian?

You shouldn't advertise that for fear of looking like a douche bag.

Don Quixote
05-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Um, no. I was waiting for someone to make a snide remark about God or Christians. You were the first. Although, knowing you, I wasn't sure whether or not you were kidding.

I don't know anyone at my church, seminary, or extended Christian family that would hold to such a theory of why this earthquake in China happened. I'll state it another way, I'm pretty confident that the earthquake didn't happen because God disapproves of the Chinese. If any Christians do, it is probably some sects that have other serious problems with their theology, not to mention a lack of love for others.

You know better.

BacktoBasics
05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Um, no. I was waiting for someone to make a snide remark about God or Christians. You were the first. Although, knowing you, I wasn't sure whether or not you were kidding.

I don't know anyone at my church, seminary, or extended Christian family that would hold to such a theory of why this earthquake in China happened. I'll state it another way, I'm pretty confident that the earthquake didn't happen because God disapproves of the Chinese. If any Christians do, it is probably some sects that have other serious problems with their theology, not to mention a lack of love for others.

You know better.
obviously there are too many chinese people.

peewee's lovechild
05-12-2008, 02:14 PM

You know better.

You're just not getting it, are you?

I can't believe I have to explain this.

Oh, well:

I'm making fun of the extremist christians who will say that god made this happen because of the way China treats christians in its country.

You know, a-la "Katrina happened because New Orleans is a sinful city and god was displeased with them" style.

I'm sorry you got your panites in a bundle and thought I was attacking you specifically.

But, then again, if your conscience is what prompted you to be all ass hurt, maybe you should look into why that was.

ashbeeigh
05-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Well, no matter anyone's beliefs, my thoughts and prayers are with this area of the world. Shit has really hit the fan recently.

I don't even want to think about how bad the after effects of the earthquake are going to be. Environmentally, emotionally, governmentally. It's nuts.

tlongII
05-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I believe this earthquake was caused by shifting tectonic plates.

nsrammstein
05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I believe this earthquake was caused by shifting tectonic plates.

Thanks to your amazing detective skills, we are now able to determine the cause of earthquakes!

Don Quixote
05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
You're just not getting it, are you?

I can't believe I have to explain this.

Oh, well:

I'm making fun of the extremist christians who will say that god made this happen because of the way China treats christians in its country.

You know, a-la "Katrina happened because New Orleans is a sinful city and god was displeased with them" style.

I'm sorry you got your panties in a bundle and thought I was attacking you specifically.

But, then again, if your conscience is what prompted you to be all butt hurt, maybe you should look into why that was.

My apologies. Sarcasm doesn't go over well on the internet.

If yor original post had said, "some misguided people say, God does x because y," then I would have said, amen.

But sorry for the misunderstanding.

Heath Ledger
05-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Damn i wonder if this will slow down my sword shipments...

mffl89
05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
My dad in Beijing said his office on the 22nd floor felt as if he was in a boat.
Beijing is about 940 miles from Sichuan. (site of the Earthquake)

Heath Ledger
05-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Damn if they could only have a few dozen more of these they might get their population problem under control, and maybe then gas prices will come down.

宋石男
05-13-2008, 11:06 PM
In Dujiangyan about 900 teenagers were buried under a collapsed three-storey school building. In Beichuan county, just east of the epicenter, 80 percent of the buildings had collapsed and some 10,000 people were injured on top of the 3,000 to 5,000 killed in the district, Xinhua News Agency said. Early reports say eight schools in the region have completely or partially collapsed.

Corrupt building practises may emerge as a contributory factor in this latest tragedy.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-05/13/xin_292050513070643714651.jpg

Cant_Be_Faded
05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Damn if they could only have a few dozen more of these they might get their population problem under control, and maybe then gas prices will come down.

:smchode:

smeagol
05-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Great idea.

Talk to God about it . . .

smeagol
05-14-2008, 01:37 PM
That's what Hagee teaches anyway.

So?

ChumpDumper
05-14-2008, 02:38 PM
So?:lol the God Squad is really answering the call here.

Many Christians feel the same way Hagee does. It's not an indictment on all of them.

Unclench.

pawe
05-14-2008, 03:18 PM

You do know how many of the victims are children right? China has a one child per couple law so a lot of parents lost their only child that day. I know what you posted was meant to be a joke but be sensitive once in a while.

smeagol
05-14-2008, 03:59 PM
:lol the God Squad is really answering the call here.

Many Christians feel the same way Hagee does. It's not an indictment on all of them.

Unclench.

So?

Many people think Starbuck's cofee sucks. It does not mean it really sucks.

MannyIsGod
05-14-2008, 05:38 PM
So?

Many people think Starbuck's cofee sucks. It does not mean it really sucks.

Wut?

Don Quixote
05-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Great idea.

Talk to God about it . . .

I prayed about it. God said it didn't happen because of anything specific, or because they are Buddhist/Taoist/Moslem (I'm not sure about that region of China).

He still loves the Chinese!

Fillmoe
05-15-2008, 03:07 AM
I hope Johnny Blaze's family is okay.

ChumpDumper
05-15-2008, 03:14 AM
So?So unclench. Your uptight responses in religious threads are positively Pavlovian.

Many people think Starbuck's cofee sucks. It does not mean it really sucks.If you want to equate religious beliefs with personal taste in coffee, ok. Starbucks sucks and so do Hagee's teachings. Hagee's teachings are the Starbucks coffee of religion.

peewee's lovechild
05-15-2008, 07:30 AM
He still loves the Chinese!

Not true.

He made them all short and squinty-eyed.

There's no love there.

But, he gave them Jackie Chan, so that's saying something.

peewee's lovechild
05-15-2008, 07:31 AM
So unclench. Your uptight responses in religious threads are positively Pavlovian.

He and a few others here.

smeagol
05-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Wut?

A feud I'm having with The Dumper :lol

smeagol
05-15-2008, 09:16 AM
So unclench. Your uptight responses in religious threads are positively Pavlovian.

Uptight?

Link, if you please . . .

If you want to equate religious beliefs with personal taste in coffee, ok. Starbucks sucks and so do Hagee's teachings. Hagee's teachings are the Starbucks coffee of religion.

Ok.

I also think Hagee's teachings suck.

smeagol
05-15-2008, 09:17 AM
He and a few others here.

Defending religion -----------> bad

Attacking religion -----------> muy bueno!

Don Quixote
05-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah, that's the conclusion I draw here.

I still don't see, however, what Harbucks or Hagee have to do with China.

peewee's lovechild
05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Defending religion -----------> bad

Attacking religion -----------> muy bueno!

Defending it with no cause is definitely ----------> bad.

You don't see athiests or agnostics defending their beliefs from every single god related post here.

It's just that you do it at any mention of religion or god.

smeagol
05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Defending it with no cause is definitely ----------> bad.

You don't see athiests or agnostics defending their beliefs from every single god related post here.

It's just that you do it at any mention of religion or god.

Not true.

But then again, arguing with you is fruitless.

peewee's lovechild
05-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Not true.

But then again, arguing with you is fruitless.

And yet, you do it constantly.

Congratulations.

smeagol
05-15-2008, 01:14 PM
And yet, you do it constantly.

Congratulations.

For some twisted reason, I enjoy talking to a 9 year old retard.

peewee's lovechild
05-15-2008, 01:26 PM
For some twisted reason, I enjoy talking to a 9 year old retard.

Looking into a mirror?

That's the first sign that insanity is kicking in.

Don Quixote
05-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Smeagol ...

I'll talk to you. I can't promise you I'm not retarded, but I try to be civilized.

smeagol
05-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Smeagol ...

I'll talk to you. I can't promise you I'm not retarded, but I try to be civilized.

Difficult to be civilized when talking to peewee

Don Quixote
05-15-2008, 11:27 PM
No kidding. The neat thing about a message board is, you choose the people with whom you communicate. If someone is an annoying pest or feels like he has to insult you 24-7, there's no reason you have to chat with them at all. None.

So, what does Hagee have to do with China again?

marini martini
05-15-2008, 11:49 PM
The neat thing about a message board is, you choose the people with whom you communicate.

Helllllllllllllooooo Don & Smeagol:toast

smeagol
05-16-2008, 11:40 AM

Who knows.

I think it was Chump who brought him up.

I think chumpdumper worships at Hagee's church :lol

smeagol
05-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Helllllllllllllooooo Don & Smeagol:toast

Hello seņora . . . how's the little bambino doing?

DBryant88
05-16-2008, 12:03 PM
chine could stand to lose a few thousand people