PDA

View Full Version : Woah...

Adrienne18
07-24-2003, 08:10 PM
I know this is Kobe-related, but the Kobe thread isn't often frequented and this seemed like big news...I also realize this doesn't mean anything really, but it could be a big thing in Kobe's favor...(reliable or not)

News: Friends question accuser
Posted on Tuesday, July 22 @ 23:11:35 MDT by

Heath R. Urie and Chris Marcheso
Managing Editor and Staff Writer
While Kobe Bryant — one of the most popular NBA superstars today — faces a charge of sexual assault, questions about the emotional stability of the 19-year-old UNC student accusing Bryant have surfaced.

Speaking on the condition of anonymity, several UNC students spoke exclusively to The Mirror about the young woman they know. Some students agreed to speak without their names being used to protect the identity of the accuser, whose name has not been released by police or the media.

The young woman in question completed her freshman year at UNC in May. She lived in one of the primarily freshmen residence halls on campus and spent her days pursuing a passion for music, despite having not yet declared a major.

Close friends say she was active in the school choir and was a charismatic and loyal friend.

“She was very nice and someone that would be there for you,” said Rich Fredrick, a UNC sophomore who lived in the same residence hall as the accuser.

However, other friends describe a darker, more troubled side.

“She had issues with her boyfriend,” one close friend said “They fought throughout the school year. Then they broke up. She was upset about it.”

Two friends recounted the evening of Feb. 25, when the accuser overdosed on medication, and UNC police and local medical personnel had to transport her to North Colorado Medical Center for treatment.

“During the year, the cops and an ambulance came and took her away,” another resident said. “We all knew she had some health issues. We were concerned … We didn’t see her in class for a few days.”

UNC Police Chief Terry Urista confirmed Monday that UNC police contacted the accuser Feb. 25.

“We did respond to the residence hall,” he said. “We took her into custody and transported her to the hospital.”

However, Urista declined to comment on the details surrounding the transport and treatment.

The accuser’s problems didn’t end there, friends said.

Classmates and friends who know the young woman said male guests frequently visited her overnight.

One resident said the accuser bragged about her sexual encounters, including one with a celebrity look-alike while she auditioned last year in Texas for the popular TV show “American Idol.”

Reports such as these may raise questions about the validity of the accuser’s claim that Bryant sexually assaulted her June 30 at the Lodge and Spa at Cordillera in Edwards, Colo.

Denver-based attorney Pamela Mackey, lead council for Bryant, may consider the wide speculation about the accuser’s emotional stability in making a case for her client’s defense. Mackey’s office, however, “is in general not granting interviews at this time,” a secretary said Tuesday. Mackey stated July 14 her client will plead not guilty to the charge.

“Mr. Bryant is innocent and expects to be completely exonerated,” Mackey said in a statement released to The Mirror.

Neither the accuser nor her parents returned The Mirror’s repeated phone calls for comment.

Since the encounter, Mark Hurlbert, Eagle County district attorney, has indicted Bryant on a felony charge of sexual assault. Bryant admitted at a press conference Friday in Los Angeles that he did, in fact, have sex with the young woman but said it was consensual. If convicted, Bryant could receive four years to life in prison. He is scheduled to appear Aug. 6 in Eagle County court.

A close friend of the accuser told The Mirror the alleged victim is planning on returning to Greeley but not attending UNC.

Here's the link to the article from the UNC newspaper (http://mirror.unco.edu/article.php?sid=1636)

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Imagine that something like that would appear.

Pooh
07-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Yeah that is a definate "whoa" alright.

ducks
07-24-2003, 08:24 PM
this is suppose to be in the nba section:wacko

Adrienne18
07-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Yeah I know, sorry.....*sheepish*

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Duff, put the woman whose pic you relieve yourself to in line.

IcemanCometh
07-24-2003, 08:26 PM
classmates and friends just pop out of the woodwork don't they

MannyIsGod
07-24-2003, 08:27 PM
exactly what I was thinking Ice

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-24-2003, 08:29 PM
So let me get this straight...

A tabloid has made it known that it will be 20K to anyone with dirt on the girl, and a few poor college students take advantage of that.

Am I supposed to suddenly think Kobe is innocent or question the girl?

AHF

baseline bum
07-24-2003, 08:34 PM
She prob just asked Kobe to beat her up cuz she likes it ruff?

Adrienne18
07-24-2003, 08:34 PM
This isn't a tabloid, it's from the University of Northern Colorado newspaper. And I did say in that first post "reliable or not" it would probably be a step in the right direction for Kobe.

Betsy
07-24-2003, 08:44 PM
If the girl had physical evidence of abuse on her body, then her past has nothing to do with it. No matter what her life was like, she doesn't deserve that.

Besides those that are Kobe fans will say anything to protect him.

bugramps
07-24-2003, 10:04 PM
I don't buy a thing these lime-light seeking, self-righteous, selfish so-called alleged friends of this girl. We're just seeing national coverage of high school rumors and gossip ... it's sad and pathetic.

These are not her friends, they are people who went to school with her and heard stories, so they grab a reporter and tell them what their sister told them about this one time after a football game with so and so's brother's best friends cousin behind the bleachers and these reporters will print it.

This isn't even worth posting. These kids shouldn't be given the time of day ... tell them to **** off and get a job!

DuffMcCartney
07-24-2003, 11:00 PM
Duff, put the woman whose pic you relieve yourself to in line.

Like I told BB in another post in the adult forum, I don't get off to pics. Besides, I hardly have the power to put anybody in line, not to mention no one would listen to me anyway.

Jimcs50
07-24-2003, 11:07 PM
Even prostitutes get raped and it is still against the law...

grjr
07-24-2003, 11:24 PM
Yeah, but is that rape or "theft of service"?

MissAllThat
07-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Exactly Jim, and plus for $10,000+ people will say anything.

2Cleva
07-24-2003, 11:42 PM
Just wanted to add, if there was real physical abuse on the girl, no way would they have let Kobe leave Vail the first time without booking him. They also wouldn't have waited 2 weeks before pressing charges.

Adrienne18
07-24-2003, 11:46 PM
The only real problem I have with it is the fact that she was at a party, joking about the size of his package. Maybe I'm wrong, but if she's ashamed enough not to have her name released, wouldn't she be ashamed enough not to want to be out in public, much less talking about the incident like she had just got his autograph? That being said, I can't really know what I think about it until more real evidence comes out, not just rumors...

MissAllThat
07-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Adrienne, that's a rumor. You don't know that she was there, unless of course you were at that party....

MannyIsGod
07-24-2003, 11:53 PM
Too much media attention, rumors everywhere.

Besides, nothing helps Kobe unless its in the court room.

Adrienne18
07-24-2003, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I realize its just a rumor, hence...

I can't really know what I think about it until more real evidence comes out, not just rumors... :wink

It's just something that bugs me, but it can't make my decision, like I said, because it may not be true.

Jimcs50
07-25-2003, 12:11 PM
I do not believe any of this crap about her. I think Kobe's people know he is screwed and his team is using every dirty trick in the book to discredit her. Like someone said, people will say anything for 10-20k in their pockets tax free. This girl is going through hell because she had the balls to press charges and with the evidence that the DA has, it is apparent that she is not lying.

tlongII
07-25-2003, 12:16 PM
I DO believe it. I've heard in the media that this girl has attempted suicide TWICE during the past 9 months. She definitely has some emotional problems. That doesn't mean that Kobe didn't rape her, but she is going to look much worse when this thing goes to trial. There is no way that Kobe will get convicted considering this girl's history.

ducks
07-25-2003, 12:22 PM
do you believe all waht the media says?

they issued a gag order on thi scase since kobe is paying peopel to say false things

kohai
07-25-2003, 12:23 PM
It's called the "Blame the Bitch" defense, and it was only a matter of time.

tlongII
07-25-2003, 12:25 PM
The suicide attempts have been corroborated by multiple sources so....yes I do believe it. Obviously, I don't believe everything the media says but I do believe that. Why is it that many posters here believe that this girl has visible physical evidence that she was assaulted?

MannyIsGod
07-25-2003, 12:29 PM
The suicide attempts may not even be allowed to be admitted into court

Jimcs50
07-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Ok tlong, I am going to hang out at the hospitals and every hottie that is admitted because she took too many pills, I am going to nail, because according to you, it means it is ok to rape that girl and nobody would convict me because she has some personality and emotional faults. Just because she is having problems does not give a man the right to rape her with impunity.

kohai
07-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Why is it that many posters here believe that this girl has visible physical evidence that she was assaulted?

Because there was an article quoted here yesterday where a different friend said EXACTLY that. Is he somehow less believable than these other "friends"?

tlongII
07-25-2003, 01:28 PM
Because there was an article quoted here yesterday where a different friend said EXACTLY that. Is he somehow less believable than these other "friends"?

Exactly my point! Many people choose to believe that particular quote, but not the ones about her alleged suicide attempts. Why is that?

Marcus Bryant
07-25-2003, 02:57 PM
OK, so Kobe chose a girl with emotional problems to rape.

LittleGeneral
07-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Exactly my point! Many people choose to believe that particular quote, but not the ones about her alleged suicide attempts. Why is that?

Dude, the reason we think there is physical evidence is not because of the quote of some friend but because the DA who has seen the evidence was said that there is adequate physical (and testimonial) evidence to prosecute the case. Please don't spin the beliefs of those of us who don't absolutely adore Kobe.

Thanks.

LittleGeneral
07-25-2003, 03:12 PM
Just wanted to add, if there was real physical abuse on the girl, no way would they have let Kobe leave Vail the first time without booking him. They also wouldn't have waited 2 weeks before pressing charges.

Actually, it is customary to wait a couple weeks for the DNA evidence to come in. It'd be irresponsable to press charges without waiting to see what the DNA results would tell. Plus, probably because of the highly-publicized nature of this case, the DA consulted with prosecuters from all across the state. They overwhelmingly felt that charges should be pressed. It would be inconceivable that this would be the collective opinion if there was no real physical evidence of abuse.

Just wanted to add, you don't know anything.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-25-2003, 04:56 PM
So tlong,

Are you saying it's okay to rape someone if they have emotional problems?

Seems like it...

Maybe I'll just head down to the nearest mental ward and pick up some ass by force, after all that makes it okay right?

Someone on the radio the day Kobe got charges filed against him said it was only a matter of time before this girl got dragged through the mud thanks to rumors and hearsay, looks like we're at that point.

Whatever happened to her in the last year at college has zero to do with Kobe raping her.

AHF

tlongII
07-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Hell NO I'm not saying it's okay to rape someone with emotional problems! I see that you're already convinced that a rape occurred. The fact is the only two people that know what happened that night are Kobe and that chick. Given the chick's history of mental instability there is NO WAY that Kobe will get convicted. KAPEESH?