PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Horry with high praise; Finley doesn't get it

timvp
05-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Notebook: Duncan, Bowen on All-Defensive team
By Mike Monroe

NEW ORLEANS — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich credited his team's defensive performance for its ability to even the Western Conference semifinal series against the New Orleans Hornets at two games apiece, so he was gratified Monday when both Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen were named to the league's All-Defensive first team.

“I'm real happy for Timmy and Bruce,” Popovich said before boarding the Spurs' charter jet to New Orleans. “They worked hard, as all the other players on the list did, I'm sure. But to have two on one team is pretty special.

“That's what helps us win. Without that, we're just another basketball team, but they make it different for us.”

The 30 NBA head coaches select the All-Defensive teams. They gave 24 first-team votes each to Defensive Player of the Year Kevin Garnett of the Boston Celtics and Most Valuable Player Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers. Denver's Marcus Camby, the 2006-07 Defensive Player of the Year, got 14 first-team votes and was the first-team center for the second consecutive season.

Bowen got 13 first-team votes and 10 second-team votes and was the only player on either the first or second teams listed as a combo player — a guard/forward.

Duncan got 12 first-team votes and nine second-team votes. He has been on the All-Defensive team each of his 11 seasons in the NBA.

No other team had two players on either the first or second teams.

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili was among the other players receiving votes.

Hornets guard Chris Paul was a second-team selection, and center Tyson Chandler also received votes.

Historic perspective: Since no player in NBA history has more playoff experience than Robert Horry, his opinion counts for plenty.

In Horry's opinion, Popovich ranks at the very top among the coaches who worked during the 16 years Horry has played in the NBA.

Though three of Horry's seven championship rings were earned under Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who has won nine titles as head coach of the Michael Jordan-era Bulls and the Shaquille O'Neal-era Lakers, he gives Popovich the nod over Jackson.

“Phil wouldn't yell at the top dogs,” Horry said. “Pop will yell at the top dogs, just like he yells at the bottom dogs. That's the biggest key. And Pop preaches defense a little more than Phil.

“If you'd have given Pop all the talent Phil had, I think he'd have more rings than Phil.”

Power hitter: Michael Finley hit five “home runs” in Games 3 and 4, making 5 of 9 3-point shots in the Spurs' two victories at the AT&T Center.

And while Popovich stressed that the Spurs' back-to-back victories had been forged by his team's defense, Finley reminded that offensive production can't be overlooked.

“On top of everything,” Finley said of the difference in the results at the AT&T Center after two blowout losses in New Orleans, “it was coming home and finding some things defensively that could work for us. But more importantly, we've been sharing the ball offensively, and with that, we're able to score.

“Believe it or not, defense can get us so far. Ultimately, we have to score on this team, and that's what we're doing.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051308.spursnotes.en.31b9d49.html

timvp
05-12-2008, 10:18 PM
“Phil wouldn't yell at the top dogs,” Horry said. “Pop will yell at the top dogs, just like he yells at the bottom dogs. That's the biggest key. And Pop preaches defense a little more than Phil.

“If you'd have given Pop all the talent Phil had, I think he'd have more rings than Phil.”:wow:wow

Horry isn't known to kiss azz for no reason.

“On top of everything,” Finley said of the difference in the results at the AT&T Center after two blowout losses in New Orleans, “it was coming home and finding some things defensively that could work for us. But more importantly, we've been sharing the ball offensively, and with that, we're able to score.

“Believe it or not, defense can get us so far. :rolleyes I guess Finley stopped playing defense because it's not important.

m33p0
05-12-2008, 10:20 PM
“They worked hard, as all the other players on the list did, I'm sure...."
Hmmm....

whottt
05-12-2008, 10:22 PM
:wow:wow

Horry isn't known to kiss azz for no reason.

Translation: Gimme some more minutes Pop!

BonnerDynasty
05-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Finley better make his damn shots.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Power hitter: Michael Finley hit five “home runs” in Games 3 and 4, making 5 of 9 3-point shots in the Spurs' two victories at the AT&T Center.

And while Popovich stressed that the Spurs' back-to-back victories had been forged by his team's defense, Finley reminded that offensive production can't be overlooked.

“Believe it or not, defense can get us so far. Ultimately, we have to score on this team, and that's what we're doing.”

Well, that explains why he hasn't been within five feet of his man on defense for the last month and a half. :rolleyes

SequSpur
05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
WTF... you win by scoring more points... what doesn't he get?

timvp
05-12-2008, 10:33 PM
WTF... you win by scoring more points... what doesn't he get?Case rested.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Can someone FYI me as to how many all-defensive first teams Bowen has in his career?

PlayoffEx-static
05-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Can someone FYI me as to how many all-defensive first teams Bowen has in his career?
Cinco.All time All Defense Teams (http://www.nba.com/history/awards_defensiveteams.html)

It's not up to date, but he was first team last year and this year, which brings him up to five and up to date.

duncan228
05-12-2008, 11:19 PM

I think 5.

Whisky Dog
05-12-2008, 11:34 PM
The defense that Pop could have had coaching Jordan, Pippen, Ron Harper, etc. Would have been scary.

wijayas
05-13-2008, 04:09 AM
“Phil wouldn't yell at the top dogs,” Horry said. “[B]Pop will yell at the top dogs, just like he yells at the bottom dogs. That's the biggest key. And Pop preaches defense a little more than Phil.

“If you'd have given Pop all the talent Phil had, I think he'd have more rings than Phil.”

Pop, we love you! :toast :toast :toast

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-13-2008, 04:25 AM

:wow Those are some big props...Definitely separates the two.
Phil was already making excuses for Kobe by finger-pointing at his teammates.

Makes me wonder the reverse though..

What if Phil Jackson had Tim Duncan ?

To be fair. If one of our big three or bench players who play respectable defense were not contributing their part on O, no one blink twice at this statement.
Pop even said they have to make shots.

Unfortunately, Finley doesn't have that luxury. :lmao

Slip of the tongue. Now we KNOW.

Ocotillo
05-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Regarding Pop being willing to yell at the big dogs as well as the little dogs, you have to have the right big dogs. I agree with treating all players equal but some players are not as selfless as Duncan or Ginobili or Parker.

Remember Scottie Pippen refusing to go in back in the game during that one playoff? You think he is going to respond in the desired manner if a purple faced Serb is screaming at him on a practice floor?

I don't know MJ or Shaq or Kobe well enough to know how they would respond.

Pop also had David Robinson who was unique in his demeanor as well.

Say Pop had been coaching the Knicks this year. How effective do you think he would have been handling guys like Marbury, Randolph and Curry?

The unspoken part of the Spurs success is not only getting talented players and surrounding them with role players but getting players who get it about how teams work rather than just individual talent.

justanotherspursfan
05-13-2008, 09:00 AM
I agree with treating all players equal but some players are not as selfless as Duncan or Ginobili or Parker.

Honestly, I think Parker might have been a rather different player if he had gone to a different team. He's always seemed like someone who likes the limelight, and if he hadn't had Pop riding him from day 1 and had Duncan as an example, he might not have been nearly as selfless.

I don't mean this as a knock on Tony -- I just mean that good coaching can make a huge difference.

Ocotillo
05-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Honestly, I think Parker might have been a rather different player if he had gone to a different team. He's always seemed like someone who likes the limelight, and if he hadn't had Pop riding him from day 1 and had Duncan as an example, he might not have been nearly as selfless.

I don't mean this as a knock on Tony -- I just mean that good coaching can make a huge difference.

Yeah, selflessness can be learned to an extent, I believe the seed has to be there. Look at SJax, stereotypically one would write him off as not a prospect for this type of system but when he came here, he was the hungry one, he rode the pine at the start and being around quality guys he took on his role, embraced it an flourished.

On the other hand, if a guy comes here as a rookie and thinks he is the man and wants the rock and will sulk if he gets yelled at by the coach, wouldn't fit in here. A young Steve Francis comes to mind.

Maybe I am wrong and Pop can mold these guys or sell them on his way but I think when it comes to your stars, you have to have buy in from them. Otherwise, they will go to the owner and basically say, it's either him or me.

MoSpur
05-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Horry has to say that in my opinion. After he retires, ask him again. He might say Phil. I doubt he would say Phil while he currently plays under Pop.

Tiro
05-13-2008, 10:03 AM

2000-01 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2001-02 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2002-03 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2003-04 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2004-05 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2005-06 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2006-07 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2007-08 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

five in a row.:toast

xtremesteven33
05-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Horry has to say that in my opinion. After he retires, ask him again. He might say Phil. I doubt he would say Phil while he currently plays under Pop.

i totally disagree. i think he truly loves pop as a coach and a person. phil is just an arrogant person on and off the court and i think horry can relate to pops low profile personality more than that of a phil jackson. plus they have been seen eating out many times at SALTGRASS here in san antonio. so i think he enjoys his company very much,

timvp
05-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Horry has to say that in my opinion. After he retires, ask him again. He might say Phil. I doubt he would say Phil while he currently plays under Pop.Doubt it. That's not how Horry operates.

Horry is on record as saying Hakeem > Duncan. He says Shaq = Duncan. He has said the Rockets teams were better than any of the championship Lakers or Spurs teams.

Horry isn't one to make proclamations just to please those around him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Interesting thread.

Big call by Horry. Gotta love that about him.

That is all.

:D

whottt
05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
How come no one has considered that Horry is saying this as much for Phil and the Lakers as he is for Pop and the Spurs?

I can see it now...

Farmar: You know, Horry's right, I get a lot more asschewings from Phil than Kobe does...I kinda resent that, I may have to tank a few games in the playoffs and tarnish Kobe's legacy to right this wrong.

Phil: Pop does something better than me? I better fix this. Kobe, get your ass in gear!

Kobe: Fire! Trade! Rape! and most importantly, Shoot!

You guys need to realize, the basketball genius that is Robert Horry, in his all knowing wisdom, has probably already forseen a Spurs Lakers WCF matchup and has already been sowing the seeds of doubt within the enemy, using his firsthand experience of his time with the enemy, using tactics learned firsthand from Phil during his time with the enemy, to exploit foundational weaknesses he knows to be in existence....because he's Horry.

Plus, since he is smart, he probably realizes that coming out with a Pop sucks comment is not going to be of great benefit to his PT.

Obstructed_View
05-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, that explains why he hasn't been within five feet of his man on defense for the last four and a half years. :rolleyes

Edits submitted.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-13-2008, 01:50 PM
How come no one has considered that Horry is saying this as much for Phil and the Lakers as he is for Pop and the Spurs?

I can see it now...

Farmar: You know, Horry's right, I get a lot more asschewings from Phil than Kobe does...I kinda resent that, I may have to tank a few games in the playoffs and tarnish Kobe's legacy to right this wrong.

Phil: Pop does something better than me? I better fix this. Kobe, get your ass in gear!

Kobe: Fire! Trade! Rape! and most importantly, Shoot!

You guys need to realize, the basketball genius that is Robert Horry, in his all knowing wisdom, has probably already forseen a Spurs Lakers WCF matchup and has already been sowing the seeds of doubt within the enemy, using his firsthand experience of his time with the enemy, using tactics learned firsthand from Phil during his time with the enemy, to exploit foundational weaknesses he knows to be in existence....because he's Horry.

Nice foresight...Probably really true. Laker fans are already aware of Horry's comments. No doubt it would bother a big ego like Phil, the moment he'd get wind of it. He'd probably scoff at the assessment.

I wouldn't put it past Horry, he's probably one of the smartest players ever.

This is probably a biased statement, but I think Horry likes our guys, Pop , a lot over his other championship team...Even though he's still pretty objective and appreciates his other teams without favoritism towards the Spurs, I can kinda see why he respects Pop's egalitarian approach over Phil's.

There was some comments earlier in the playoffs how Phil never rode Kobe even when he was young and one of the 2001 Laker vets questioned him about it, and Phil would say "I don't need to..Kobe's hungry all the time." and Pop definitely wouldn't cop-out like that. He' and Kobe probably wouldn't have gotten along in Kobe's first years. "Ship his ass out!" is what Kobe would be demanding most likely, before we would get to see Pop's greatness come to fruition.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Pop is lucky to have guys around him that are willing to accept that they are imperfect, and that they need to be discplined rigorously (sp?).

I can't imagine Pop's way of coaching would be as successful with players like Shaq, MJ, and Pip. Too many egos. But, that is a testement of just how special everything is for us. The Spurs have an almost perfect team/organization. We've got the right mix of players, and the right coach, and I highly doubt if any team in the near or far future will ever be able to replicate that. Everybody on the team is right for eachother.

With that said, I think you've got to attribute a lot of Pops success to his players.

manufor3
05-13-2008, 08:22 PM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52500/20080513/horry_popovich_is_better_than_jackson/

manufor3
05-14-2008, 06:51 AM
oh here i got a mouse-
Robert Horry has enough championship experience to know what he's talking about when it comes to Hall of Fame coaches, and he believes Gregg Popovich is better than Phil Jackson, according to The San Antonio Express-News.

Three of Horry's seven championship rings came under Jackson in Los Angeles.

"Phil wouldn't yell at the top dogs," Horry said. "Pop will yell at the top dogs, just like he yells at the bottom dogs. That's the biggest key. And Pop preaches defense a little more than Phil."

"If you'd have given Pop all the talent Phil had, I think he'd have more rings than Phil," Horry added.

Obstructed_View
05-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Spurs scored 11 points in the third quarter. Somehow I don't think Fin is the one who doesn't get it...