PDA

View Full Version : What adjustments do you see NO/Byron Scott making?

easjer
05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
It seems to me that there are few options for adjustments. Their best bet is to go back to the double on Duncan and hope for another round of poor shooting from the outside shooters, and extensive stints of zone defense. Possibly bring Peja off the bench in favor of Wright to mix things up.

I feel encouraged as a Spurs fan, because I can't see what other adjustments or tricks Scott could try that the Spurs can't counter if they are playing well and with focus.

Or looked at another way, what are your fears about tonight's game? What don't you want to see happen?

slowchild25
05-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Score more points than those Spurs guys.

George Gervin's Afro
05-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I can see then waiting for TD to dribble the ball and then double team him. That seems to be the most effective way to attack him..

EVAY
05-13-2008, 10:21 AM
I expect Scott to try: switching into zone defenses more freqently than in previous games, focusing more on trying to steal the ball, and driving into the lane to try to get Spurs into foul trouble and get some of our starters in foul trouble. Oh, and some more of the alley oop passes to Chandler to get the fans screaming.

Paul is going to flop all over, and if the refs go for it and continue to ignore his offensive fouling ( shoving that left arm out against the defender), then we could really be in trouble.

Whether or not any of this is successfull will be, IMO, a function of how well Duncan plays tonight, and whether or not he shoots or passes quickly enough when he gets the ball . If he starts to do that " "get the ball, hold it, put it on the floor or down around his waist" thing, he's ging to get stripped, they are going to get fast breaks, and we can be in trouble. If he plays as quickly as he did in game 4, we will be fine on both ends, I think.

slowchild25
05-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Also talk Kareem into coming back to take Melvin Ely's minutes. If that fails then arm Ely with some sort of taser device and/or a metal folding chair. Whatever you do Scott don't send him out there unarmed or you will get charged with criminal indifference after Ely is battered by a constant array of post up and face up moves from the Big Fundamental.

timvp
05-13-2008, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't be shocked to the see the Hornets use Mo Pete to defend Parker, Peja to defend Manu and Paul to defend Bowen. That type of adjustment is pretty much what every coach does once they realize their point guard can't keep Parker out of the lane.

Regarding Duncan, I'm guessing the Hornets will try to vary their looks against him. If you do anything too much, Duncan is too smart. If I'm Scott, I probably go back to the original gameplan and try to make the shooters win the game.

Another thing Scott may try is putting Bonzi into the starting lineup and then attacking the Manu on Bonzi matchup. If I'm Scott though I probably just let Paul run the pick-and-roll every play. The Spurs still can't really guard it. Everything else, such as West isos or Peja off screens, the Spurs have the personnel to slow down.

ducks
05-13-2008, 10:39 AM
I think scott needs to tell them to push the ball up
it makes the spurs get back quickly and spend alot of energy and might wear them down in the 4 so they start missing shots

ducks
05-13-2008, 10:39 AM
spurs transastion d is ususally great though

Warlord23
05-13-2008, 10:49 AM
I think we'll see more zone D, especially if the Spurs get an ealry lead. I also think Scott will play Wright or Wells more to put pressure on Manu.

Regarding Duncan, I think Scott will let Chandler go 1-on-1 for the first quarter. If Tim produces, he'll go for the double-team option.

No matter who's guarding Parker, they're going to clog the lane and go under screens. TP better bring his jumper with him, because they're going to dare him to shoot.

Air biscuit
05-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Pretty sure he will double Tim quickly with whoever is guarding KT to force him to make that midrange jumper. Scott will be betting he won't make it in N.O.

m33p0
05-13-2008, 10:58 AM
I think scott needs to tell them to push the ball up
it makes the spurs get back quickly and spend alot of energy and might wear them down in the 4 so they start missing shots
both hornet wins, average possession was 83 i think. spurs wins, its 89. spurs have the advantage when the game is sped up.

Jimcs50
05-13-2008, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't be shocked to the see the Hornets use Mo Pete to defend Parker.

Yeah, that is always successful, putting a swingman on a PG(not to mention the fastest one in the NBA). TP would blow by him so fast, Mo would be left behind, wondering what just happened.

Bad idea there, timvp

Jimcs50
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
New Orleans does not need to do anything different other than hit their shots, it is rather simple really.

timvp
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah, that is always successful, putting a swingman on a PG(not to mention the fastest one in the NBA). TP would blow by him so fast, Mo would be left behind, wondering what just happened.

Bad idea there, timvpYes, because no team has ever put a swingman on Parker.

Warlord23
05-13-2008, 11:17 AM

Bad idea there, timvp

Are you kidding? Diaw was a lot more effective in cutting off Parker's drive to the basket than Nash or Barbosa ever were.

The logic of putting length on TP implies that they'll give him a lot of room to ensure he doesn't blow by them and lay it in. It also means that TP will have enough room to shoot from mid-range. Let's hope he brings his shot tonight

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I keep hearing talk (Barkley last night, for instance) that Scott will attack the Bowen/Peja matchup by posting Peja up and letting him work from there against Bowen. I think that the Spurs would generally welcome that, if only because it would take the ball out of Paul's hands and quash his penetration, which is (at this point) the way that the Hornets have really been creating offense.

I can see the MoPete on Parker effort, but I don't know that MoPete has the lateral quickness to deal with that. If they do go that route and put Paul on Bowen, I suspect that Bowen will get many good looks from his comfort spots because of Paul's tendency to overplay penetration and look for steals.

Scott has a real dilemma with using Chandler in more head-up matchups with Timmy. I think that if he plays Timmy straight up, he concedes the lane a bit more to the Spurs penetrators. Plus, if Chandler gets into foul trouble, the game will be a very difficult one for the Hornets to win. If he brings the same doubles, he runs the risk that Timmy will devour them. I'd expect a tweak in their double-teaming game -- late doubles on the bounce or doubles from unexpected angles.

I wonder, too, about the Hornets' attitude. They seem to believe that all will be fine because they're at home and I think that's probably a good attitude for them to have. I do wonder, though, if that attitude makes them susceptible to a letdown if the Spurs play well early and continue to make things difficult for the Hornets' defense.

T Park
05-13-2008, 11:34 AM
I keep hearing talk (Barkley last night, for instance) that Scott will attack the Bowen/Peja matchup by posting Peja up and letting him work from there against Bowen. I think that the Spurs would generally welcome that, if only because it would take the ball out of Paul's hands and quash his penetration, which is (at this point) the way that the Hornets have really been creating offense.

They ran that play twice in game 4.

One time resulted in a turnover, the second time resulted in Peja getting blocked HORRIBLY at the rim by Duncan that resulted in an easy basket on the other end.

DarrinS
05-13-2008, 11:36 AM

That would be an epic failure (see Suns series with Diaw in the low post).

If I were Byron Scott, I would try to get Fab and KT in early foul trouble by attacking them with West. Also, I don't think Chandler will have zero dunks tonight.

GrandeDavid
05-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Since I agree with many points already in here, I won't be repetitive. I will add that I think the best adjustment will not be made by Scott. I think that the home crowd will keep the Hornets focused and attacking all night. This is setting up to be a potential epic win for the Spurs. I think that if the Spurs win tonight, they win the championship. They will have shown tremendous resilience and determination in the face of tough pressure and long odds (coming back back from down 2). Go Spurs!

DarrinS
05-13-2008, 11:46 AM
One things for sure, if they continue to allow Tony to own their paint, they'll be facing elimination in game 6.

Jimcs50
05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Are you kidding? Diaw was a lot more effective in cutting off Parker's drive to the basket than Nash or Barbosa ever were.

The logic of putting length on TP implies that they'll give him a lot of room to ensure he doesn't blow by them and lay it in. It also means that TP will have enough room to shoot from mid-range. Let's hope he brings his shot tonight

No way there bud. Ask any player if it has ever been successful putting a foward on a quick PG and they will tell you no, maybe for a few plays just to mix things up, but for the most part, a quick PG will blow by the foward without any proble, and then you have one less big in the paint to either block or change the PG's shot. You have chris Paul in there instead, and he is pretty much helpless at that point.

How good was it putting Bruce on Paul, BTW???? Huh????

Idiots

polandprzem
05-13-2008, 11:52 AM
They have no answer for parker, Paul is good but if Scott will decide that he is not as good he can put Mo Pete on Tony, then Manu can kill Paul or they will try to guard Bowen with paul. Still Wright is there who can defend. I wonder if Scott will go for some risky tactics in pivotal game 5.

Also he must answer the question if to double team Tim as much and as hard as he used to in two first contests. Or won't let shooters go off. Tim's play was phenomanal 10-12 from the 2 point FG! But his stats do not show how phenomenal he was. He played a quarterback that is what Scott also saw in 2003 NBA Finals.

And to add to this. Wright will be the risk which can be taken if Peja still will be in a slump. So the Hornets can put more intensity and faster fast breaks.

Ely is not the answer I guess. We still do not know how good Hilton Armstrong is on D against Tim (well probably not good), but he can provide some offensive punch if the spurs will be having problems with transition D.

Scott an also concentrate only on a shooter named Finley. Bowen is not hitting with big %, so the spurs will be as good as their weakest player.

Jimcs50
05-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Yes, because no team has ever put a swingman on Parker.

Oh yes, they have had great success with that too.:rolleyes

The teams that have made Parker play bad are the teams with the physical quick PGs, ie. Billups, D Williams, Kidd a few years ago, etc.

timvp
05-13-2008, 12:01 PM

The teams that have made Parker play bad are the teams with the physical quick PGs, ie. Billups, D Williams, Kidd a few years ago, etc.:huh

D Williams? Parker dominated against the Jazz last year ... and D Williams got so abused in the first two games that Sloan switched Fisher onto him. And Parker owned Kidd. The Nets didn't have success against him until *gasp* they put a bigger player on him. Oh and Parker rarely has too much trouble against Billups, especially offensively.

About 95% of the series since Parker has been in the NBA, the opposing coach has at least tried putting a swingman on him.

Jon1798
05-13-2008, 12:02 PM
The Hornets don't really need to change anything, they just need to show up a little tonight. For some ridiculous reason, they did not want to play game four. You could tell from the very start of the game the whole team was walking and jogging around. It was disgusting.

They need to force the issue, play the pick and roll, and dish out to Mo Pete if Peja is covered, and David West needs to take his jump shots. The guy was an assasin all season from anywhere inside the 3 point line, and only wants to post up in this series.

More hustle and effort is what they need on the defensive end. Keep doubling Duncan, at least take him out as much as possible. Make the Spurs hit 3 pointers to win. The rotations should be fine as long as the Hornets are on the same page.

Honestly, I expect a very close game tonight, finally. Fingers crossed here.

ambchang
05-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Late doubles to Duncan - don't double team Duncan unless he puts the ball on the floor. The weakest part of Duncan's game (other than FT shooting) is passing out of doubles after he started his dribble. And use whoever is guarding the other big man to double Duncan, the shooters have proven to be too hot to leave open. Other times, try to guard Duncan straight up. Also, try hack-a-Duncan early to see if he is shaky from the line.

Stay home with the shooters - see above.

Put a bigger guy on Parker - Eventually a team is going to put a long SG or a SF on Parker to cut off his penetration, see if this will work.

Go right at Manu when he is on defense - wear him down, and see if this will take him out of his game (not bloody likely though)

Leave Oberto and Thomas open for the mid-range jumper - This is a pick your poison, while these two are consistent from mid-range, it is much better to have this than Parker shooting layups, Manu throwing in threes, and Duncan posting up.

On offense - run pick and rolls with Chris Paul and Peja once in a while to see if this can help Peja get open looks. Also, run pick and rolls with David West while running back screens for Peja, anything to get Peja going.

oligarchy
05-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to the see the Hornets use Mo Pete to defend Parker, Peja to defend Manu and Paul to defend Bowen. That type of adjustment is pretty much what every coach does once they realize their point guard can't keep Parker out of the lane.

Regarding Duncan, I'm guessing the Hornets will try to vary their looks against him. If you do anything too much, Duncan is too smart. If I'm Scott, I probably go back to the original gameplan and try to make the shooters win the game.

Another thing Scott may try is putting Bonzi into the starting lineup and then attacking the Manu on Bonzi matchup. If I'm Scott though I probably just let Paul run the pick-and-roll every play. The Spurs still can't really guard it. Everything else, such as West isos or Peja off screens, the Spurs have the personnel to slow down.

I was thinking along the same lines. I thought Wright was quicker than Mo and that's the way it might go, but I don't see them starting Wright. Maybe they'll make the switch during the game, just to change things up with Parker. Same as throwing some different looks at Duncan.

Budkin
05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
The only adjustment they can make is to make sure they make more of their shots. Peja must score more! :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-13-2008, 12:37 PM

The teams that have made Parker play bad are the teams with the physical quick PGs, ie. Billups, D Williams, Kidd a few years ago, etc.

Are we watching the same team? The only guys I've seen cover Parker with any success in the last couple of years are the long athletic type players who can recover a bit when Parker blows by them.

Jimcs50
05-13-2008, 12:41 PM
:huh

D Williams? Parker dominated against the Jazz last year ... and D Williams got so abused in the first two games that Sloan switched Fisher onto him. And Parker owned Kidd. The Nets didn't have success against him until *gasp* they put a bigger player on him. Oh and Parker rarely has too much trouble against Billups, especially offensively.

About 95% of the series since Parker has been in the NBA, the opposing coach has at least tried putting a swingman on him.

Look at TP's stats against Utah bud, he has had some of his worst games against them.

Yes that is why Speedy Claxton was used, because TP was soooo effective against the Nets.

Come on.

:rolleyes

T Park
05-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Look at TP's stats against Utah bud, he has had some of his worst games against them.

Yes that is why Speedy Claxton was used, because TP was soooo effective against the Nets.

Come on.

:rolleyes

Or maybe cause Parker was 21?

Oh nice of you to ignore games 1 and 3 in those Finals sunshine.

Jimcs50
Are we watching the same team? The only guys I've seen cover Parker with any success in the last couple of years are the long athletic type players who can recover a bit when Parker blows by them.

No way jose....do any of you even remember how we needed Speedy to rescue TP in that Finals?

T Park
No way jose....do any of you even remember how we needed Speedy to rescue TP in that Finals?

In 1 game.

ONE FREAKING GAME

Jimcs50
05-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Or maybe cause Parker was 21?

Oh nice of you to ignore games 1 and 3 in those Finals sunshine.

1/3 of the games????

Come on TPark, give me a break.

phyzik
05-13-2008, 12:44 PM
I know the fans are making adjustments... they think being more drunk and booing louder will somehow make Spurs defense disappear and the basketball to magically go in the hoop when their team jacks up a shot.

http://hornetsreport.com/HRForums/showthread.php?t=49065

Good luck with that having to compete against reality Hornets fans.

Jimcs50
05-13-2008, 12:45 PM
In 1 game.

ONE FREAKING GAME

go on and suck on timvp's dick some more....do you ever have your own opinion?

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm convinced Jim is thinking that Byron Scott is reading this thread and he doesn't want to give him any coaching ideas for tonight's game.

Jimcs50
05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
tell you what, if the Hornets use Mo on TP ad if he has any success, I will say you were right, but I do not see that doing any good at all.

DarrinS
05-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Another tactic that has worked against Tony is to be very physical with him in the paint.

Jimcs50
05-13-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm convinced Jim is thinking that Byron Scott is reading this thread and he doesn't want to give him any coaching ideas for tonight's game.

Byron holds on to my every word...that is common knowlege

T Park
05-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I lost, therefore I insult

T Park
05-13-2008, 12:51 PM
1/3 of the games????

Come on TPark, give me a break.

He also had good games in other ones that they lost.

But continue with your childish idiotic revisionist history.

Jimcs50
05-13-2008, 12:51 PM
and another thing, putting little 5 ft nothing Paul on the 6'6" Bowen is not too bright either, Bruce will shoot over him like he was not even there, and the 3s will rain down on the Hornets like it was Christmas for the Spurs..

T Park
05-13-2008, 12:53 PM
and another thing, putting little 5 ft nothing Paul on the 6'6" Bowen is not too bright either, Bruce will shoot over him like he was not even there, and the 3s will rain down on the Hornets like it was Christmas for the Spurs..

Hey it worked for Phoenix....

PDXSpursFan
05-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Being this late on the series, I don't see any major adjusments coming from either NO or SA. Like others mentioned, most likely NO will try delaying the double team on Duncan until he puts the ball down in hopes of being able to better defend the shooters. So the game will come down to whether or not the Spurs can move the ball quickly enough to find an open shooter and (of course) making the shoots.
On the offensive end, I do expect the Hornets to play significantly better than the previous 2 game just because of being at Home (especially the role & bench players).
If both team execute I'll expect a close game decided in the final seconds so it will come down to execution under pressure, something that the Spurs excell at (I'm not sure about NO).

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-13-2008, 01:19 PM

It's a sound strategy. Don't be surprised to see the Spurs shut down the Hornets pick and roll with what cajunhornetsbayou posted yesterday.

And as far as the Parker debate goes, if the Hornets make that adjustment it won't matter what kind of defenders Parker has problems with. Peja on Manu is a disaster waiting to happen, and Paul on Bowen will work out much like Kobe on Bowen did. Good ball movement and Paul's propensity to roam in search of steals will mean lots of open looks for Bruce.

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
tell you what, if the Hornets use Mo on TP ad if he has any success, I will say you were right, but I do not see that doing any good at all.

If the Hornets go with that strategy and don't have success, I don't think it would be proof that the strategy doesn't work -- if anything, it would suggest to me that they just didn't have the player(s) to get that done. I don't know how you can ignore the recent history of long wings having some degree of success, initially at least, in slowing down the Parker Parade to the Paint. Parker is savvy enough to find ways to overcome those problems and I think that the more he sees it, the more he finds solutions. But that doesn't mean it hasn't worked.

GSH
05-13-2008, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=easjer;2490161]It seems to me that there are few options for adjustments. Their best bet is to go back to the double on Duncan and hope for another round of poor shooting from the outside shooters, and extensive stints of zone defense. Possibly bring Peja off the bench in favor of Wright to mix things up.

I feel encouraged as a Spurs fan, because I can't see what other adjustments or tricks Scott could try that the Spurs can't counter if they are playing well and with focus.[QUOTE]

I think Byron Scott's biggest adjustment is getting used to the idea of going fishing. At least he has some practice at it, so I'm sure he'll pull through.