PDA

View Full Version : Newble gladly joins Cavaliers

mattyc2422
07-23-2003, 09:49 AM
www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1058953067160720.xml (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1058953067160720.xml)

Newble gladly joins Cavaliers

07/23/03

Mary Schmitt Boyer
Plain Dealer Reporter

Maybe the Cavaliers should send Ricky Davis a thank-you note for persuading free-agent forward Ira Newble to join the team yesterday.

"He called and expressed his interest and said he would enjoy playing with me and told me to hurry up and make my decision," Newble said of Davis. "After weighing my options, I decided I wanted to play with him, too, because he's an exciting player, and I felt like if we were on the floor together, we'd get a lot of things done."

Newble, a 6-7, 220-pound native of Detroit who played at Miami University, signed a four-year deal worth about $12.3 million with the Cavs. Newble has the option to add a fifth year that would raise the total package to more than $15 million.

Newble and Davis got to know each other three years ago when they were working out together in Los Angeles. Newble also played for Davis' father's team in the Long Beach Summer League.

"We'd spend a week or two working out together and then have to go against each other during the season," Newble said. "It was a good battle."

Newble, known for his defense, actually caught the eye of Cavs General Manager Jim Paxson two years ago when he did a good job against former Cavs guard Andre Miller, who was having his best season as a pro. But Newble was a restricted free agent last summer, and the Cavs were preoccupied with trying to re-sign Davis.

This summer, Paxson targeted the three-year veteran, who spent the last two years in Atlanta, along with veteran point guard Kevin Ollie, signed last week. The two signed virtually identical contracts, splitting the $4.917 million mid-level exemption.

"We went into this free-agency period with two needs we wanted to fill," Paxson said. "There were maybe four guys we felt fit those two needs, and we feel we got the best two players to fill those needs for us."

At 28, Newble isn't used to being described as a veteran, but among the Cavs, only Ollie, 30, is older.

"I've been in the league a few years now and I can bring some leadership, especially defensively," Newble said. "That's one of my strong points. That's what you need to win games. That's what it takes to win championships. When you have young guys, a lot of times, young guys don't really focus on that. I think I can come in and lead by example.

"It's exciting to join an organization that's in a rebuilding process.

"I feel a vibe of excitement with LeBron James coming in and with the young talent that we have, and I sense people are dedicated to making this a winning team."

T Park Num 9
07-25-2003, 03:34 AM
congrats to IRA.

Showed signs with the Spurs of being a player on the verge of being solid.

Jumpshot is iffy, defense is anything but.

Congrats to Ira on a big contract, hope he plays well in Cleveland. :)

mattyc2422
07-26-2003, 05:00 AM
Yep. Ira realises his strengths and it also seems like he wants to take a leadership role upon himself in Cleveland.

Oh, and he's a balla.:fro