PDA

View Full Version : Jet Terry deems Pop "a dictator"

RiverwalkParade
05-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Heard this on the "Jet Terry Show" on 103.3 ESPN. Terry was talking about Rick Carlisle coming to town and the conversation went to player's coach vs. non-player's coach. He mentioned that Avery was player's coach because off the court he had an open door policy, whereas Pop is not a player's coach because it is his way or the highway, went on to say that he was a dictator.

This only bothers me because I can not stand Jason Terry.

Your thoughts?

Obstructed_View
05-13-2008, 01:50 PM
This would bother me if Jason Terry were a team player, a big game guy, or a guy who wins. He's none of those, so it's only appropriate that he wouldn't like what the Spurs do.

1Parker1
05-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Who cares what Jason Terry thinks of Pop? :lol

And besides that, how would he even know what kind of coach Pop is? He's never played under him....

Kathyladora
05-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Pop's way wins; why would you go another way?

SAtown
05-13-2008, 01:52 PM
It seems as if "Jet" is the one with the "my way or the highway" complex. He would never fit into a system like that of the Spurs because he is not a team player, much less a winner.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Who cares what Jason Terry thinks of Pop? :lol

And besides that, how would he even know what kind of coach Pop is? He's never played under him....

if he's never ever played for him, he has no business commenting :lmao

O-Factor
05-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Nice of him to make an assumption about a coach he's never played under and who furthermore has 4 championships.

FromWayDowntown
05-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are living, breathing testament to the fact that it's not always Pop's way or the highway.

SAGambler
05-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Heard this on the "Jet Terry Show" on 103.3 ESPN. Terry was talking about Rick Carlisle coming to town and the conversation went to player's coach vs. non-player's coach. He mentioned that Avery was player's coach because off the court he had an open door policy, whereas Pop is not a player's coach because it is his way or the highway, went on to say that he was a dictator.

Your thoughts?

Yep. The other night when Pop told Tony "It's your game baby", it sure sounded to me like he is a dictator.

HTF would Jet know anyway? He's never been lucky enough to be in a Spurs uniform.

But, WTF if he's right. 4 titles and the best record of the Decade say whatever he is doing, it's working.

degenerate_gambler
05-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are living, breathing testament to the fact that it's not always Pop's way or the highway.

here here

PM5K
05-13-2008, 02:00 PM

Not so much Tony as Manu...

Pop certainly doesn't control what Manu does, infact I'm not even sure Manu knows what he's going to do each time down the court until about five minutes after he's done it....

austinlakepirate
05-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Players love pop.

"Jet" is barely even a "journalist" and already he can't tell the difference between a coach who yells at all of his players ( yes even stars), and a guy who obtains power with an ak47 and and an army of violent militants. -Their brainwashing is very effective

I can just imagine pop peaking in on Tony and Eva as they are sleeping at night, putting tails on Horry when he goes out at night. Waiting for the slightest violation of his dictate. Zieghiel Pop is King :king

spursfan09
05-13-2008, 02:22 PM
I've heard players actually call Pop "a player's coach". Jason Terry just likes to speak out of his ass.

Summers
05-13-2008, 02:26 PM
The Spurs seem to genuinely like and respect Pop and his record speaks for itself.

shelshor
05-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Good!! Turtlehead can keep playing his way and continue to be a loser

Shaolin-Style
05-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Pops a genuine guy, hes smart, humble doesn't take shit, demands excellence for the money he and his players earn, and he gets it.

I wouldn't want any other coach in the nba right now.

MoSpur
05-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Jason Terry is a wanna be thug.

WildcardManu
05-13-2008, 02:31 PM

+1

SAtown
05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
The main question should be why in the hell he even has a show...

G-Nob
05-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Jason would never survive in Pop's defense. He's great at doing airplane impersonations, that's about it.

Southwest Texas Fan
05-13-2008, 02:34 PM
JET is an idiot.

Parkerlooms
05-13-2008, 03:27 PM
"I'm an aero-plane! LOL"

Brutalis
05-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Jason Terry does not have a JET nickname. Bunch of Mav fans ripped that from Kenny Smith.

Terry the Tyrant sounds better anyhow.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-13-2008, 03:36 PM
No one said the Dallas Mavericks were an intelligent bunch.

SAtown
05-13-2008, 03:36 PM
I think he gave himself the nickname, which is far worse.

ambchang
05-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Jason Terry wants to punch Pop in the nuts.

urunobili
05-13-2008, 03:41 PM
No one said the Dallas Mavericks were an intelligent bunch.
ask Joint Howard :lol

SAtown
05-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Jason Terry wants to punch Pop in the nuts.

He would shatter his hand.

dbreiden83080
05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Pop demands a lot from his players that is for sure, that is really the military mindset he brings to the table, much like Bob Knight and Bill Parcells do. However it works i feel because he is not some phony who just yells all the time like an idiot and comes off like a broken record. He is a genuine person and i disagree that he is not a "Players coach". We know he has a great relationship with Tim, he and Tony after years of grooming seem close now, Manu kind of the same thing. I don't think Manu or Tony are what they are today if not for Pop's guidance and pushing them. Tony for sure, he has been huge to his development as a player, no question about that. He does demand you do it his way but he will give up the reigns a little as long as you prove to him he should.

ClingingMars
05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Pop's way wins; why would you go another way?

jmard5
05-13-2008, 03:47 PM

Your thoughts?

My thoughts? Winning championships are not bad.

SAtown
05-13-2008, 03:49 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/xfzwrd.jpg

Did he ever get ankle surgery after this?

tmtcsc
05-13-2008, 03:57 PM
When asked to comment on Terry's remarks, Pop said "I've got better things to do like polish my 4 Championship rings or prepare for the playoff games we are still participating in."

Parkerlooms
05-13-2008, 04:02 PM
NNNNNEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWW.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/dirks_gurl_07/jet.jpg

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-13-2008, 04:08 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/xfzwrd.jpg

Did he ever get ankle surgery after this?

I don't think he got around to it. After what the Warriors did I think he spent most of the offseason at the proctologist's office getting reconstructive surgery.

He's a fool to say something like that about a guy that he never played for but there's probably a grain of truth to it. There are probably plenty of guys in the league that wouldn't respond well at all to Pop's style, but he's had the benefit of having a good front office that he can work hand in hand with to see to it that they get the right pieces for him. I'm sure that there's plenty of guys in the league with Beno's mentality that the Spurs have avoided signing that have plenty of talent but would probably have failed with this team.

Walton Buys Off Me
05-13-2008, 04:08 PM
So many ways to respond to this;

1. Pop has more rings than Jason Terry has STDs..well almost
2. I think if you polled 1000 NBA players, 95% would come back saying they wish Pop was their coach. Jermaine O'Neal and Elton Brand, two decent players in thir own right have gone on record and said as much.
3. Pop has special relationships with his players that other coaches- in any sport have never achieved nor will achieve.
4. If Pop was such a dictator prick, then why is it the only free agent he's lost in the last 10 years was Derek Anderson..wait he doesn't count anyway.
5. If dictator=winning then I'll take dictator any day. Punks like Jason Terry need a player's coach that coddles them and doesn't hold them accountable for anything because Jason Terry can't take care of a house plant, let alone get back on defence and help his teammates night in, night out.

Lastly...who's Jason Terry? That bench player for the team that can't make it out of the first round? What's next, we start threads for Mengke Bateer?

stretch
05-13-2008, 04:10 PM

Your thoughts?

Sure you didn't mis-hear that? Seeing that you appear to be a troll, it wouldn't suprize me if you are just trying to start shit.

picnroll
05-13-2008, 04:14 PM
I think Terry is pretty safe in that Pop would never trade for him, not in a million years.

Budkin
05-13-2008, 04:15 PM
The Choking Ballbuster speaks!

BigBeezie
05-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Jason Terry couldn't be a ball boy for the Spurs. The Spurs would trade him to Seattle for a Snickers bar and movie tickets... Sam Presti would then trade him for two 2nd round picks.

Shank
05-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Jason Terry does not have a JET nickname. Bunch of Mav fans ripped that from Kenny Smith.

Terry the Tyrant sounds better anyhow.

Jason
Eugene
Terry= Jet.

Besides, what do any of you care what Terry has to say? If you're so above his comments, then just ignore them. Is it that difficult?

WalterBenitez
05-13-2008, 04:18 PM
yeah ... POP is m...r f...r dictator ... with 4 rings ... NEXT!:sleep

tmtcsc
05-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Jason
Eugene
Terry= Jet.

Besides, what do any of you care what Terry has to say? If you're so above his comments, then just ignore them. Is it that difficult?

Hell no, I like making fun of that wannabe. I'm not above going off on that nut punching, loud mouthed punk.

SenorSpur
05-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I heard that too. Considering the source, I didn't cringe too much. After all, this is the same turtleheaded bastard who is his own one-trick pony. He can't play PG, he can't play defense, he can't rebound. He's just a one-dimensional offensive player.

This is the same guy, who also proclaimed on this same show, that while watching the Spurs/Hornets series, he still believed the Mavericks were THE better team than the Hornets. Go figure!

He's as delusional as the Mavs are championship contenders.

clambake
05-13-2008, 04:32 PM
lately, he's a misunderstood, "when it counts", brick chucker. rick will straighten him out.

Agitator
05-13-2008, 04:37 PM

Your thoughts?

Jet Terry wouldn't know what a dick-tator was if it was shoved up his... oh never mind, maybe he does...

rayray2k8
05-13-2008, 04:39 PM
If that were true, Manu wouldnt play baskeball at all!!!

dg7md
05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
"I'm an aero-plane! LOL"

That's what he does every night before he goes to bed.

Ocotillo
05-13-2008, 05:39 PM
It's the off-season for him, he's high.

Spurs Brazil
05-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Fuck Terry

Quasar
05-13-2008, 06:01 PM
here here

Hey man... it is actually "hear hear" :p:

BonnerDynasty
05-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Caveman needs to master the art of starting a fire before he starts using his mouth.

One thing at a time caveman.

mFFL03
05-13-2008, 06:19 PM
as towlie would say:

"i'm so high right now, i have no idea whats goin on"

Shank
05-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Caveman needs to master the art of starting a fire before he starts using his mouth.

One thing at a time caveman.

You have your insults confused. Stackhouse is the caveman. Terry is the wannabe gangsta, remember?

Sigz
05-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Jason Terry is such a punk ass little faggot.

I'd slap that mothafucka up.

arcticjoe
05-13-2008, 06:55 PM
i don't understand why the idea of pop being a dictator is so offensive... the guys one of the best coaches in the league... i would rather have the guy dictate and do what he feels is best rather than some fucking shoulder for a player to cry on.

ChumpDumper
05-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Basketball teams are not democracies.

BonnerDynasty
05-13-2008, 07:00 PM
You have your insults confused. Stackhouse is the caveman. Terry is the wannabe gangsta, remember?

oh shit. For some reason I was picturing Stack the entire time.

san antonio spurs
05-13-2008, 07:28 PM
oh shit. For some reason I was picturing Stack the entire time.
they are both thugs and dumbs I'll give you that one.

clubalien
05-13-2008, 07:35 PM
So many ways to respond to this;

4. If Pop was such a dictator prick, then why is it the only free agent he's lost in the last 10 years was Derek Anderson..wait he doesn't count anyway.

hmm jason kidd?

this is so wrong what top free agents have we brought in...
we have lost free agents that didn't sign with us ( most would say because we didn't want them) but there are others we didn;t sign example karl malone, j oniel, , etc

Walton Buys Off Me
05-13-2008, 07:41 PM
hmm jason kidd?

this is so wrong what top free agents have we brought in...
we have lost free agents that didn't sign with us ( most would say because we didn't want them) but there are others we didn;t sign example karl malone, j oniel, , etc

Alright dunsecap, I'll go slower.

What free agents have left the Spurs for another team?. We couldn't offer the same money to Kidd or O'Neal- read up on the CBA. They made a decision based on money; thankfully for us. And please don't give me Stephen Jackson, Speedy Claxton or Nazr Mohammed; we let them go.

Michael Finley chose Pop
Brent Barry chose Pop- TWICE
A guy by the name of Tim Duncan has chosen Pop his whole career
David Robinson chose Pop
Sean Elliott chose Pop
Tony Parker chose Pop
Manu Ginobili chose Pop

Gotta love those fans that jumped aboard last summer....