PDA

View Full Version : My op/ed (for my publication) on the Kobe case....

sainformer
07-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Okay gang...here's what I put together on the coverage of the Bryant case.

==============

The sport’s world has an ethical issue about the coverage of the Kobe Bryant trial case

It’s been roughly seven years since the country was baffled by the O.J. Simpson trial. For months the nation was enthralled by the list of characters that made up this real life soap opera of a former NFL star being tried for murder. A 20th century Civil War was on the brink of starting as there were factions of supporters and detractors for both sides of the law table. Yet as mind boggling as this public display was, nothing is going to compare to when the trial of K. Bryant vs. the State of Colorado takes place later this year. If you thought Simpson was charismatic, you haven’t seen anything yet when Bryant walks in sporting a GQ style that will woo the female jury members and get admiration from the male onlookers. In other words, get ready for a circus event that will rival anything P.T. Barnum could dream up.
The media circus has officially started and already a trial of the victim has begun. Let’s be perfectly honest on one point about this trial. Nobody can remain anonymous in this day and age. If the Eagle County DA thought they could hide the alleged accuser’s identity he is sadly mistaken. This information is already out in the public arena and there is so much information about the alleged victim that includes pictures, a phone number, an e-mail address from the college she attended and even tax information on her parent’s home in the area. In other words, D.A. Mark Hurlbert is going to face the daunting task of not only trying Bryant in the court of law but now the court of public opinion is primed and ready to start weighing in on what it thinks. Already a website that calls itself “Kobe Watch” is out to discredit the young lady. You can bet your last dollar that defense attorneys will use whatever information they can to discredit her.
For many newspapers there has been an ethical debate on whether any or all of the information found about the victim should be printed. Unlike the Simpson trial, the Internet has afforded anyone with half way decent detective skills to find the few links necessary to retrieve the information about who the young lady is, her family, real estate holdings, etc. For hours I personally deliberated with myself as to how this information would be used and decided that the photos were unnecessary at the time of publication but by giving a bit of the financial information about the family, it would give the reader a sense of just what type of community Eagle, Colorado was and maybe ponder the question of how an “ordinary” crime has now consumed a very rich part of that state.
Much of the information about this case is still very sketchy at best. What is available for the media and public alike is still subject to verification in some areas. What is for certain though is that the few authenticated information pieces that this circus has spawned is now coming into play. From tax records to the actual affidavit to even a battle over whether the 9-1-1 records should be released is now all a part of the stockpile of ammunition for everyone to grab. Whether it is used in a responsible fashion is going to be determined by each editor.
The Kobe Bryant circus is getting bigger by the minute and every news outlet is looking to ‘out scoop’ the other. While this publication (and this column) may continue to cover the incidents that unfold, undoubtedly other pieces of the puzzle will come into this office. One thing is for certain though and this only comes from long deliberations. This publication will only buy some popcorn at that circus; not become part of the three ring act at hand.

MadeFromDust
07-21-2003, 05:38 PM
Where's the pics?

Admiral
07-21-2003, 06:43 PM
The sport’s world has an ethical issue about the coverage of the Kobe Bryant trial case

"Sports" does not need an apostrophe. Just thought I would point it out since I'm sure you've been busy reasearching and getting your thoughts on paper.

Nice piece.

sainformer
07-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Well I'll be damn....Sporting News Radio wants to talk to me about my article!!!!!

Hot damn!!

Greg

MadeFromDust
07-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Congrats, sain former. How'd they find out about it...from here?