PDA

View Full Version : Why Pop was so mad at Crawford

GSH
05-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Forget the rest of the game, and any other calls from the refs. I'm talking about the one incident between Popovich and ref Joey Crawford. If it was another ref, there should be a suspension. But with Crawford's history, he should be fired permanently this time. The double delay call was an absolute refusal to enforce the rules of the game. But later he did everything he could to incite a fight with Popovich, and at one point he was poking Popovich in the chest as he yelled at him. The refs are supposed to keep the game under control, not cause things to get out of control.

If you didn't see it, or didn't understand what happened, it was basically this:

The Hornets were going to the line. Pop wanted Tim to line up in the best position to get the rebound, if there was a missed free throw. Once Tim lined up, the Hornets players switched positions. Tim moved, and they switched again. (I couldn't see if it happened more than one time, but I know that the action took a long time, because I commented that the ref was allowing them a breather.) Eventually, Crawford called a double delay of game. I'm not sure but I think that also forced Tim to line up in a less advantageous position.

What's wrong with that? The shooting team has to line up its personnel first, and the other team then has the right to line up based on their positioning. The Hornets didn't have the right to switch, based on where Duncan was, and a delay should have been called right there. It was a simple call, and one that can't be missed by an NBA ref. Crawford simply refused to enforce the rules.

Pop began arguing with Crawford, and you could see Crawford baiting him, looking for an opportunity to call a T. Pop backed off just enough, until the commercial break. During the break, Crawford was poking Pop in the chest with his finger - clearly trying to escalate things, and Pop pushed his hand away and warned him not to touch him. A few seconds later, Crawford called the T anyway. Maybe Pop said something out of line, but all I ever saw was him keep telling Crawford, "You're wrong. I don't care, you're wrong."

Crawford did everything but ask Pop if he wanted to fight, like he did with Duncan. There is no place for an official to take over the momentum of a game - especially not a playoff game.

I will mention that a few plays earlier, Melvin Ely had shoved Fab out the end of the court, right in front of a ref. On the other end, Ely got frustrated and swung at Fab, hitting him "above the necK". That's one of those things that the NBA supposedly won't tolerate. I was waiting for at least a Tech call, and possibly an ejection. Instead, the ref called a double Technical, PLUS a double personal foul, on both Ely and Fab. It was absolutely inexcusable, just like the double delay of game.

I don't know what you make of a ref who simply will not enforce the rules of the game. But he should be made an unemployment statistic. You can debate Pop's reaction all you want to, but Crawford was totally out of line. At the very least, he made a very public statement that should carry over into the next game.

rasho8
05-14-2008, 12:31 AM
The Crawford thing was shit and they were the two most egregious calls in the game, although the Spurs did play poorly, they were not given any help by the refs this game.

gospursgojas
05-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Everyone is going to kill this poster about whining about refs, but I agree.

Joey Crawford was way out of line tonight. To the point that he should be fired.

Brutalis
05-14-2008, 12:35 AM
The Crawford thing was shit and they were the two most egregious calls in the game, although the Spurs did play poorly, they were not given any help by the refs this game.

I agree and it really sucks to lose like this. Fuck up and get fucked at the same time.

I bet if Oberto cleared West like that, it would be a flagrant or a tech. Easily.

DarrinS
05-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Uh, yeah, we can all read lips.

carina_gino20
05-14-2008, 01:03 AM
It was hilarious watching Pop ranting all over Joey's face. Spurs still lost this game on their own though.

BonnerDynasty
05-14-2008, 01:06 AM
Pop should call this motherfucker out in the press conference but he won't since Pop has and continues to make millions off the league.

Just let the fans suffer from an inconsistent biased officiated league.

MannyIsGod
05-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Crawfordblew the call. Crawford shoud'nt have been poking Pop in the chest.

Pop should know better though. He just lost his temper.

mavs>spurs2
05-14-2008, 01:12 AM
The whole chest poking thing trying to incite a fight or escalate the confrontation was way out of line. Especially after challenging Duncan to a fight last year, he should be on a short leash already.

dbreiden83080
05-14-2008, 01:15 AM
Fire him already. He needs to go, he did not deserve to even come back after what he pulled last year.

Avitus1
05-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Any ref that pokes a coach/player in the chest needs to be fined, especially if the ref has a history of doing stupid shit.