PDA

View Full Version : Arlen Specter's Real Motives

monosylab1k
05-14-2008, 11:14 AM
A friend from inside the Patriots organization wanted me to pass this along:

http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/view/6559/1/184

Specter is grilling the NFL/Patriots because of their battles with Comcast.

Long before Spygate, dating to 1983 according to aides, Specter has railed against the antitrust exemption held by the NFL. He has, his supporters say, objected to the way they can blithely move teams and take public funds to build stadiums. Yet in recent years, the object of Specter's NFL ire has been the NFL Network and its exclusive relationship with DirecTV. The Philadelphia-based Comcast cable company is in a war with the NFL over whether they can charge their customers for the NFL Network, unlike DirecTV.

Here is where we start to get filthy. Specter was described to me by an opponent as "the Senator from the great state of Comcast." Is this fair?

Comcast is the No. 2 source of campaign funds for the Senator. Comcast execs and employees have given a reported $153,600 in contributions, going back to 1989. The No. 1 contributor since '89 is Blank Rome LLC, a lobbying firm that has dumped $358,483 into Specter's coffers. A chief client of Blank Rome is .... wait for it .... Comcast.

Goodell has pulled no punches on Comcast, saying, "They're just finding another way which they can charge our consumers more money. We think it (the NFL Network) should be available on a broader basis." When asked if Specter's vendetta is related to Comcast, Goodell only said, "I'm not addressing that point."

As Will Bunch wrote in the Philadelphia Daily News, "If you simply took Specter at face value, and assumed his passion for grilling the NFL in his official Senate capacity is the passion of a jilted fan, that alone would be an outrageous abuse of his authority. But the truth is much worse, because Specter's interest in this issue dovetails far too closely with those of his two largest contributors, whose employees have given his campaign more than half a million dollars to keep him in office. I believe if there's any Senate hearing involving the NFL and Arlen Specter, it ought to be the Senate Ethics Committee, looking at a potential link to these donors."

What a douche.

BacktoBasics
05-14-2008, 12:12 PM

http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/view/6559/1/184

Specter is grilling the NFL/Patriots because of their battles with Comcast.

What a douche.
I don't care how it gets done ethical or not but I support the NFL Network being on a basic platform at no additional charge. 10-12-15 bucks for a tier package is ridiculous considering the ability this channel has to expand its marketability.

TheSanityAnnex
05-14-2008, 06:21 PM

:lmao

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 08:44 AM
A left wing sports writer takes a shot at Arlen Spector. I simply can't imagine such a thing. What's next, Patriots fans grasping at any straw to rationalize the actions of their team? Oh, the humanity!

jack sommerset
05-19-2008, 09:27 AM
It was important the insider tell the 20 people that read this forum. Good work.

Extra Stout
05-19-2008, 10:46 AM
There are Marxists inside the Patriots' organization?

TheSanityAnnex
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
It was important the insider tell the 20 people that read this forum. Good work.:lmao

K-State Spur
05-27-2008, 01:22 AM
i think his real motives are the fact that even his parents barely knew who he was before he threw himself in this spotlight.

fishrap
05-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Wildcatter, that's funny. True and funny. The guy is in love with his mouth.