PDA

View Full Version : Question for the masses

SenorSpur
05-14-2008, 11:35 AM
In light of the Spurs being so dangerously close to the brink of elimination, I have a question for the Spurs community. To what do you attribute the cause of the Spurs recent struggles?

Age?
Fatigue?
Desire?
Overconfidence?
Lack of motivation?
Lack of mental toughness?
3rd Quarter Blues?
Superior opponent?
Coaching?

Budkin
05-14-2008, 11:36 AM
All of the above.

George Gervin's Afro
In light of the Spurs being so dangerously close to the brink of elimination, I have a question for the Spurs community. To what do you attribute the cause of the Spurs recent struggles?

Age?
Fatigue?
Desire?
Overconfidence?
Lack of motivation?
Superior opponent?

You forgot to add mental toughness

E20
3rd Quarter fuckups. That's all. We lead going into the half, why can't the Spurs put in a similar half for the 3rd and 4th periods.

florige
05-14-2008, 11:39 AM
3rd Quarter fuckups. That's all. We lead going into the half, why can't the Spurs put in a similar half for the 3rd and 4th periods.

Exactly!! It's that F'ing simple!

xtremesteven33
05-14-2008, 11:39 AM
none of the above.

answer: 3rd quarter lack of focus on gameplan

JamStone
05-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Tim Duncan is surrounded by old, slow, immobile teammates in the front court. Teams that have athletic front courts can exploit this. It's suprising the Suns weren't able to except for the fact that hack-a-Shaq may have played a bigger role than people initially gave credit for in that series win.

Even if the Spurs were to get past the Hornets, you will find similar problems against the Lakers or the Jazz. Who on the Lakers is Kurt Thomas and Oberto going to guard? Gasol or Odom? On the Jazz, if Kurt and Oberto guard Boozer, you want Duncan running all over the perimeter chasing Okur's three point shooting?

The Spurs desperately need an athletic and mobile front court big man to help Duncan out.

SenorSpur
05-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Tim Duncan is surrounded by old, slow, immobile teammates in the front court. Teams that have athletic front courts can exploit this. It's suprising the Suns weren't able to except for the fact that hack-a-Shaq may have played a bigger role than people initially gave credit for in that series win.

Even if the Spurs were to get past the Hornets, you will find similar problems against the Lakers or the Jazz. Who on the Lakers is Kurt Thomas and Oberto going to guard? Gasol or Odom? On the Jazz, if Kurt and Oberto guard Boozer, you want Duncan running all over the perimeter chasing Okur's three point shooting?

The Spurs desperately need an athletic and mobile front court big man to help Duncan out.

...and have for about 2 seasons. Just because the team won a title last season doesn't justify the absence of such a skill set.

HarlemHeat37
05-14-2008, 11:53 AM
I have confidence for next year..cap room, Splitter coming over and Mahinmi continuing to improve..hopefully we win this year, but it's not like the run is over if we lose..

JamStone
05-14-2008, 12:01 PM
...and have for about 2 seasons. Just because the team won a title last season doesn't justify the absence of such a skill set.

Very true. The Spurs winning the title last year despite the lack of front court depth is a testament to how good Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and the rest of the team played and how Pop coached. But, the older Horry and Oberto get, the problem becomes more and more glaring. Maybe Mahinmi can contribute next year. Maybe Splitter is the key. But, while some Spurs fans remain infatuated with a long small forward or a back up point guard, the biggest issue for the Spurs for the last 2-3 years has been front court help for Tim Duncan. It's amazing the Spurs have had as much success as they've had with Tim Duncan carrying so much front court responibility.

urunobili
05-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Age?
Fatigue?
Desire?
Overconfidence?
Lack of motivation?
3rd Quarter Blues?
Superior opponent?
Coaching?

:depressed

ether
05-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I've made this point in another thread but I think it needs to be reiterated here. The fact of the matter is, I think we've all underestimated the hornets and how good they really are. Most people on this board want to blame the spurs and only the spurs for their struggles against New Orleans. However, in point of fact, the Hornets are a wonderful basketball team. They are one of the best defensive teams in the NBA (easily the most overlooked and underrated aspect of their game) and have a legitimate top five NBA player in Chris Paul. They won 56 games (just as many as the spurs did) and have now blown the spurs out 5 times this season. Maybe it isn't the spurs age, lack of intensity, lack of effort, overconfidence, joey crawford conspiracy, etc (any other reason you want to come up with) that has the spurs in this 2-3 hole and facing elimination on thursday night. Maybe it's just the fact that they are playing a great basketball team who is every bit as good as they are. (and maybe even a bit better) You know what I think? I think if the spurs go on to lose this series (still a big IF in my mind) they have nothing to be ashamed of. They will have lost to a wonderful basketball team with many more playoff runs in it's future. I think it's time for spurs fans to wake up to this obvious reality.

I think the spurs can still win this series. But if they don't, give credit where credit is due and stop berating your team for losing to a team who just might be better than them.

poo-doe wayne-o
05-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Superior opponent

spurs fans are the worst in the league when it comes to saying they are simply not as good as the opponent that is going to send them home.

the mavs are not as good as the hornets and to their credit agreed that they were simply not as good as the hornets. on dallas mavs.com it was accepted they were over matched.

the spurs are not the team they once were, and are not as good as the hornets.

the spurs had a great run but its winding down now.

i do not expect to see a single spur fan here to say the hornets are just better.

my comparison to the mavs is not really fair because the spurs is all san antonio has, so its probably harder to accept the teams decline, whereas dallas has other sports teams with championships (cowboys 5 and stars 1)

the hornets are all new orleans has if you dont count lsu since they arent pro, so it might be the same for us when we start to go south, but we are very young so we should be pretty good for some time.

SenorSpur
05-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Very true. The Spurs winning the title last year despite the lack of front court depth is a testament to how good Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and the rest of the team played and how Pop coached. But, the older Horry and Oberto get, the problem becomes more and more glaring. Maybe Mahinmi can contribute next year. Maybe Splitter is the key. But, while some Spurs fans remain infatuated with a long small forward or a back up point guard, the biggest issue for the Spurs for the last 2-3 years has been front court help for Tim Duncan. It's amazing the Spurs have had as much success as they've had with Tim Duncan carrying so much front court responibility.

It is amazing. Funny as this may sound, I was hopeful that the the acquisition of Melvin Ely last year would've provided such a backup PF for Duncan. Obviously, he failed to impress.

I still believe that winning the title gave the FO the justification NOT to improve the depth on the roster. A decision that can now be questioned.

polandprzem
05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
none of the above.

answer: 3rd quarter lack of focus on gameplan

lack of reliable gameplan

theMUHMEshow
05-14-2008, 12:52 PM

Age?
Fatigue?
Desire?
Overconfidence?
Lack of motivation?
3rd Quarter Blues?
Superior opponent?
Coaching?

desire would be #1 IMO.. its hard to maintain that fire to win and the hunger after you have had so much success...

However, the shit aint over yet :toast:ihit

MoSpur
05-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I say a little bit of everything w/an extra side of no offensive execution.

SenorSpur
05-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Superior opponent

spurs fans are the worst in the league when it comes to saying they are simply not as good as the opponent that is going to send them home.

the mavs are not as good as the hornets and to their credit agreed that they were simply not as good as the hornets. on dallas mavs.com it was accepted they were over matched.

For your information, Jason Terry, just two days ago on his local radio show, proclaimed that after watching the Spurs/Hornets series, he was even more convinced that the Mavs were "better than the Hornets." Obviously, you have to consider the source of such an utterly brain-dead comment like that, but it still constrasts your point.

the spurs are not the team they once were, and are not as good as the hornets. the spurs had a great run but its winding down now.

There's no way for you (a Hornets fan) to know the talent infusion the Spurs have planned for next year and beyond. The Spurs are one of the more shrewedest organizations for drafting and developing international talent. They simply need to their homework here on the domestic front. That said, I will offer you this, as long as Duncan, Parker and Ginobili are together, this team will be a contender. So don't be so quick as to hold a memorial for the Spurs.

i do not expect to see a single spur fan here to say the hornets are just better.

In the NBA, the best team usually wins a 7-game series. No team can lose four times in a 7-games series and proclaim that "even though we lost, we're still the better team". That's just stupid. Who ever emerges as the eventual winner of this series will be considered the better team. It's that simple.

DDS4
05-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Superior opponent

the spurs are not the team they once were, and are not as good as the hornets.

the spurs had a great run but its winding down now.

my comparison to the mavs is not really fair because the spurs is all san antonio has, so its probably harder to accept the teams decline, whereas dallas has other sports teams with championships (cowboys 5 and stars 1)

the hornets are all new orleans has if you dont count lsu since they arent pro, so it might be the same for us when we start to go south, but we are very young so we should be pretty good for some time.

Until the Hornets get that 4th win, this is all premature ejac.

ChumpDumper
05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
So now the team needs Francisco Elson....

poo-doe wayne-o
05-14-2008, 01:41 PM
For your information, Jason Terry, just two days ago on his local radio show, proclaimed that after watching the Spurs/Hornets series, he was even more convinced that the Mavs were "better than the Hornets." Obviously, you have to consider the source of such an utterly brain-dead comment like that, but it still constrasts your point.

terry is a punk. i dont hold anything he says in very high regard. i was more referring to what was being said by fans on mavs.com. (i think is what i said)

I will offer you this, as long as Duncan, Parker and Ginobili are together, this team will be a contender. So don't be so quick as to hold a memorial for the Spurs.

really? so by the time they are 40 you guys should have 4 more championships? you can offer me that bit of info but you maybe should re-evaluate the logic (or lack of) in that statement.

Who ever emerges as the eventual winner of this series will be considered the better team. It's that simple.

this is probably true, but among the population of this site, the eventual winner of this series will NOT be considered the better team. check the posts in this thread so far. most are saying anything but the hornets are superior.

BigVee
05-14-2008, 01:52 PM
For me, the decline of Robert Horry has been huge. When I watched Boris Diaw score repeatedly in the post I thought how Horry in his day would have shut him down. And now watching West, I have the same feeling. Forget the offense lacking, Horry was a very good defender....I guess I underestimated how quickly his game has disappeared.

dbreiden83080
05-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I think most of this just comes down too a great opponent that knows how to play us and gives us match-up problems.

Kori Ellis
05-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Matchup Problems
Quality Opponent
Focus

TampaDude
05-14-2008, 02:35 PM

Thou hast smote the nail head soundly, sir! :toast

TampaDude
05-14-2008, 02:36 PM

Ah...what we wouldn't give for another DRob... :hat

41times
05-14-2008, 03:02 PM

Age?
Fatigue?
Desire?
Overconfidence?
Lack of motivation?
3rd Quarter Blues?
Superior opponent?
Coaching?

Good thread because it will address some of the needs for the Spurs going to next season.

Its not: Coaching, mental toughness, overconfidence, motivation.

The key thing(s) IMO is Age. And with age leads to fatigue against younger teams. Age also leads to diminished skills especially in guys like: Finley, Horry, Barry and Bowen.

The Spurs have had great success over the last 8 years because they have had a great set of Star Players combined with quality role/bench players that contribute when necessary.

The failure of the Spurs lately is in large part due to the lack of contribution from the role/bench players. Those guys have gotten older and slower.

The game today is a young mans game, ie. more athletic, quicker faster guys. If you role players have gotten to old or slow to compete with these younger teams like New Orleans for example, it presents a problem. Boston was lucky game 7 was on their court because Atlanta's youth almost got them!

So for the Spurs to be successful going forward, they have to introduce some youth onto the team. The young guys are full of desire and determination and are usually fearless and sometimes cluelless. Every good team needs at least 3 young guys, 3 middle aged experienced guys and 3 guys who have been through the wars. The rest of the lineup can be anything.

If the Spurs don't introduce some youth next year, the current crop of Stars won't win any more titles there. IMO.

SpursDynasty
05-14-2008, 03:03 PM

Age?
Fatigue?
Desire?
Overconfidence?
Lack of motivation?
3rd Quarter Blues?
Superior opponent?
Coaching?

Overconfidence and lack of motivation.

It's New Orleans.

Spurs in 7.

Obstructed_View
05-14-2008, 03:04 PM
The thing that has plagued them all season: inconsistency.

NoWhereMan
05-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Life and basketball can be a bitch at times.

slayermin
05-14-2008, 03:06 PM
They relaxed after they beat Phoenix.

Hopefully, they realize they still have a heart beat.

Man of Steel
05-14-2008, 03:11 PM
All of the above.

Plus refs in the third quarter prevent our guys from penetrating the lane by allowing Manu and Tony to get raped without any calls and calling chicken shit calls on our guys;

Manu's ankles

Hornets youth and athleticism

diego
05-14-2008, 03:44 PM
no doubt the hornets are a good team, and if they beat us it will be because they outplayed us.

but that doesnt mean that there werent things the spurs fo/coaching staff/players couldnt do better.

though most issues come down to how the roster is formed, that is the most complicated thing to change and i really think this roster has enough to beat the hornets.

really, i think this series scott has done a very good job pushing pop's buttons, and pop is a stubborn man. great coach, but stubborn. and then, where chris paul is finding the space to get in to the paint however possible, tony and manu are not. we can moan about health and refs but the bottomline is paul is penetrating at will but manu and tony arent. peja and peterson are outshooting the spurs 3 pt brigade (which is nearly half our roster).

i've always been a proponent of pounding the ball into the paint to get the other team in foul trouble, but i've come to realize this is a risky strategy- if the calls dont go your way you just get beat up while the other team breaks away.

so there are several things that could have and could still be changed, on both ends of the court. until this series is over, its impossible to make a real judgement. i dont think its the same to lose in game 7 OT on a buzzer beater, than if the hornets win all 4 games so convincingly. In that case you can bet everyone here will be questioning everyone from Duncan and Pop to Bonner and the coyote.

poo-doe wayne-o
05-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Overconfidence and lack of motivation.

It's New Orleans.

Spurs in 7.

if your seeing unmotivated play by the hornets moreso than the spurs, point it out please. and yes, they think they can do it.

ya, ive seen your posts before.

many people here say things that might not be too realistic.

most cases of such are more the result of being diehard spurs fans than being foolish.

you not so much.

spurs dynastys next rally cry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SPURS IN 8 !!!!

Brutalis
05-14-2008, 07:37 PM

Did you not see the Spurs/Jazz WCF last year?????

:bang:bang:bang

Avitus1
05-14-2008, 07:38 PM
3rd Quarter piss aways...