PDA

View Full Version : Why it is (probably) over

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
05-14-2008, 12:02 PM
As optimistic and die-hard a Spurs fan as I am, here is why I think this series is over. I cannot remember a Spurs championship team in the past that would have laid an egg like that with a chance to effectively finish a team off. This team used to be one of the great finishers....instead, last night, they looked like every other ordinary playoff team. The closest I remember to being this disappointed was when we lost Game 6 at home to Detroit after the Horry 3 pointer in Game 5. But at least we could fall back on Game 7 being at home. This game just showed that these particular Spurs do not have the "magic" to get them beyond this round.

I HOPE that I am wrong, that they will find a way to win Game 6, and with the extra days of rest before a potential Game 7 will figure it out. But I think last night we witnessed the end of an era for this team. The cape has come off---they are mere mortals at last.

:flag:

SenorSpur
05-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Let's curb the drama. Even if they lose this series, I wouldn't go so far as to say the era is over. So long as Duncan is on board and effective, this team will be a contender. However, it's clear that management has to upgrade the cast around him, Tony and Manu.

koriwhat
05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
a die-hard spurs fan never thinks otherwise! get your head out of your ass, wear a black spurs shirt tomorrow, and stop trying to jinx my spurs!

too all who claim to be die-hard spurs fans and claim the spurs are done, well get to steppin'!

hater
05-14-2008, 12:08 PM
grow some balls

Don Quixote
05-14-2008, 12:08 PM
No, while the series is probably over in favor of the Hornets, the era is not over yet.

koriwhat
05-14-2008, 12:09 PM
No, while the series is probably over in favor of the Hornets, the era is not over yet.

yet another.... damn!

xtremesteven33
05-14-2008, 12:14 PM
As optimistic and die-hard a Spurs fan as I am, here is why I think this series is over. I cannot remember a Spurs championship team in the past that would have laid an egg like that with a chance to effectively finish a team off. This team used to be one of the great finishers....instead, last night, they looked like every other ordinary playoff team. The closest I remember to being this disappointed was when we lost Game 6 at home to Detroit after the Horry 3 pointer in Game 5. But at least we could fall back on Game 7 being at home. This game just showed that these particular Spurs do not have the "magic" to get them beyond this round.

I HOPE that I am wrong, that they will find a way to win Game 6, and with the extra days of rest before a potential Game 7 will figure it out. But I think last night we witnessed the end of an era for this team. The cape has come off---they are mere mortals at last.

:flag:

i gurantee you if the spurs win tommorow. you will be the first to say the spurs will win the series.

bandwagoner

Don Quixote
05-14-2008, 12:22 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, I'll have you know that I picked the Suns to win in the first round, as did a lot of people. And we were wrong, egregiously so.

And I said the Spurs were toast after Game 2, as well. I'm halfway confident that we pull out a Game 6 victory, but we're not winning in the Hive. Not happening.

But I've been wrong before. The lesson, as always, is I'm an idiot.

DriveFor5
05-14-2008, 12:29 PM
7 game series' are over when a team wins 4 games.

T Park
05-14-2008, 12:30 PM
maybe back to back elimination games gets the damn team to play with a purpose.

samikeyp
05-14-2008, 01:03 PM
maybe back to back elimination games gets the damn team to play with a purpose.

Agreed.

This series doesn't look good but as long as #21 is on the roster, a :lobt: is never out of the question.

Dex
05-14-2008, 01:19 PM
I just don't get you people who give up on the team just because they're not front-running the league. Whatever happened to sticking by your guys through thick and then? Whatever happened to having faith in your team just for the pride of it?

Sure, you can break it down and say WHY you think things look bad. But you should still have faith in them to get it done, and appreciate them even if they don't.

I always thought cheering for a team only when it is doing well was kinda of the definition of band-wagoning, eh?

HarlemHeat37
05-14-2008, 01:22 PM
doesn't everybody love the.."I'm a die-hard Spurs fan..but we're gonna lose"..

TampaDude
05-14-2008, 01:26 PM
doesn't everybody love the.."I'm a die-hard Spurs fan..but we're gonna lose"..

That's called being realistic...the Hornets are like the Jazz...unstoppable at home...

rayray2k8
05-14-2008, 01:33 PM
You said it was over when the spurs were down 0-2!!!
Damn quitter.
How can you call yourself a spurs fan?

Around this time, you can tell who the REAL spurs fans are...
Pathetic.

DarrinS
05-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Are they still going to play game 6?

dbreiden83080
05-14-2008, 01:37 PM
That's called being realistic...the Hornets are like the Jazz...unstoppable at home...

IF we could just put 2 halfs together we could beat them there. Watch if NO wins this series they will lose at home in the next round. Nobody is unbeatable on their floor.

Cry Havoc
05-14-2008, 01:40 PM
The bottom line is that the Spurs 3 big players are great.

However, they have one of the most inconsistent casts of players around them.

Think about it: NO one in the NBA can even slow us down when Oberto is making layups, Finley is drilling from downtown, and Ime and KT are playing good defense.

We're the best team in the league at those points.

However, Finley's shot goes astray, Oberto can't make a bunny, Ime sucks, and KT picks up stupid fouls, and suddenly we're just an average playoff team.

TampaDude
05-14-2008, 01:53 PM
You said it was over when the spurs were down 0-2!!!
Damn quitter.
How can you call yourself a spurs fan?

Around this time, you can tell who the REAL spurs fans are...
Pathetic.

One can be a fan and still be realistic at how their team is playing. When the Spurs sucked in the first two games, it didn't look good for them...then, they played well at home to even the series 2-2...the big question then became "can the Spurs carry that momentum back to New Orleans and steal Game 5?" The answer to that, of course, was a resounding no.

Until they are eliminated, I'll still believe the Spurs have a chance to repeat, but with the way they are playing on the road right now, it doesn't look good for them.

Los Spurs
05-14-2008, 01:55 PM
This morning a so called die hard Spurs fan at my work place sent out an email asking anyone if they wanted to buy her 2 tickets for tomorrows game. I replied and asked why she was selling them and she replied by saying that she couldn't stand to watch the Hornets beating the Spurs. I was like, WTF???

No one knows what's going to happen tomorrow night. And even if the Spurs were to get get eliminated, it has been one hell of a Season and we should all feel proud that at least our team made it this far... There are so many damn teams who have only dreamed about being in the playoffs and never have. Maybe it's just that SA is spoiled about wanting a damn Championship every year, which there is nothing wrong with that... But, if we all got what we really wanted all the time, junior wouldn't be president for a second time around.

BELIEVE or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

TampaDude
05-14-2008, 01:55 PM
IF we could just put 2 halfs together we could beat them there. Watch if NO wins this series they will lose at home in the next round. Nobody is unbeatable on their floor.

Yeah, no shit...we suck in the 3rd quarter in N'awlins...fix that problem and we advance...if not, we go fishing...it's as simple as that. Last night, we were down only 8 with 5 minutes left to go in the game, and the Hornets were hitting a slump and practically begging us to take the lead...the Spurs blew a golden opportunity to snatch that victory there at the end. It's maddening.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
05-14-2008, 02:21 PM
i gurantee you if the spurs win tommorow. you will be the first to say the spurs will win the series.

bandwagoner

Uh, no. I don't particularly think they'll win Game 7 in a gym they haven't been competitive in for most of the season.

Now to all those who bash my credentials of being a Spur fan just because I'm calling them out----I didn't say I wasn't watching, or rooting, or praying, for them to pull it out. I was simply observing that past Spur teams would have found a way to get the clutch 'W' in Game 5, instead of playing like a JV team for half the game. Now if they can show their mettle in Games 6 and 7, I'll be proven wrong. I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. I just don't think I am this particular time.

Fmedrano1077
05-14-2008, 02:33 PM
What the hell is going on at half time in NO that the Spurs come out asleep every damn game. Skip the half and we'de be winning.

degenerate_gambler
05-14-2008, 02:36 PM
the way this series is going, it's tough to see SA getting it done in a gm 7 situation over there.

but this teams' shooting is so schizo that we may be in store for performance like the massacre they inflicted on phx in game 3.

SpursDynasty
05-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I remember a game where Oberto went 11-for-11. A few years back.

mytespurs
05-14-2008, 03:48 PM

I agree. I do think the Spurs need to start re-tooling around the big 3 though....bring in younger players....upgraded as they are still a contender.

I expect that the Spurs will go through some middling years but if they acquire younger talent to complement the 3, they will eventually be champions again. :)

slayermin
05-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Uh, no. I don't particularly think they'll win Game 7 in a gym they haven't been competitive in for most of the season.

They weren't particularly competitive in Detroit in '05 either.

Los Spurs
05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree. I do think the Spurs need to start re-tooling around the big 3 though....bring in younger players....upgraded as they are still a contender.

I expect that the Spurs will go through some middling years but if they acquire younger talent to complement the 3, they will eventually be champions again. :)

Amen~

degenerate_gambler
05-15-2008, 11:49 AM

Duncan's not getting any younger...they don't have time to have 'middling years'.

There's no time to wait for 'eventually'. The time is now.

michaelwcho
05-15-2008, 11:49 AM
I just don't get you people who give up on the team just because they're not front-running the league. Whatever happened to sticking by your guys through thick and then? Whatever happened to having faith in your team just for the pride of it?

Sure, you can break it down and say WHY you think things look bad. But you should still have faith in them to get it done, and appreciate them even if they don't.

I always thought cheering for a team only when it is doing well was kinda of the definition of band-wagoning, eh?

The logical answer for that is that teams with the highest point differential normally win! --"heart", "swagger", and "pride" aside!

However, the mass depression is ridiculous. We just have to win two in a row against a team that is not much better than us. Much stranger things have happened.

Supreme_Being
05-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Fairweather fan! 100% Guaranteed!

Jimcs50
05-15-2008, 12:30 PM
No probably about it...it is over...take that to the bank.

BiZNicK
05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Fuck no.
If any team can make a comeback it's the Spurs. Stop listening to those bandwagon "expert" analysts.

SPURS IN SEVEN!!

SenorSpur
05-15-2008, 12:44 PM

Now to all those who bash my credentials of being a Spur fan just because I'm calling them out----I didn't say I wasn't watching, or rooting, or praying, for them to pull it out. I was simply observing that past Spur teams would have found a way to get the clutch 'W' in Game 5, instead of playing like a JV team for half the game. Now if they can show their mettle in Games 6 and 7, I'll be proven wrong. I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. I just don't think I am this particular time.

Now that I can understand and you're right. The Spurs teams we've come to know and love would've never backed themselves into such a 2-game corner of desparation. But as some have said, maybe that's what this team needs to find their motivation - especially in the 3rd quarter.

We'll soon find out if they have the stuff needed to sweep both these games.

I understand your comment now. It was simply that "end of an era" statement that I thought was a bit dramatic and somewhat over-the-top.

florige
05-15-2008, 02:09 PM

What happened to you TD? You used to always used to predict wins.

ambchang
05-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Spurs can and will beat them if they stay aggressive and crack them. The Spurs were skipping skeps in Game 5.

cjjr72984
05-15-2008, 02:13 PM
No, while the series is probably over in favor of the Hornets....

A spurs fan that has some sense.....

Budkin
05-15-2008, 02:35 PM
The risk of elimination will bring out a fire in this team that we haven't seen yet.

BiZNicK
05-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Spurs facing elimination in a playoff series...

Where true fans are revealed and bandwagoners are exposed