PDA

View Full Version : Keys to Spurs Wins

Blue-Lightning
05-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Here's my take on some of the mistakes that have led the Spurs to being against the ropes. If the Spurs follow the following guidelines, I feel they have a great chance at winning another two games in a row and continuing through the playoffs. I'm no basketball expert, so please discuss these based on their merit rather than my credentials.

1) Manu Ginobili played outstandingly in the regular season but has only had a few flashes of brilliance in the playoffs. While he was hampered by some injuries in some of the games, Game 5 was not about injuries. Unfortunately, Ginobili is actually being forced by the gameplan to be more of a playmaker than a play finisher. In order for the Spurs to continue their campaign for a repeat, Ginobili must take the ball to the basket more often rather than going halfway and passing it out for the three-point play. While this does get shots for the role players, it assumes that they will make their three pointers which is a streaky proposition. In reality, Ginobili has a much greater chance of bringing points in if he attacks the basket all the way since he is likely to draw a foul at the very least. In Game 5 Ginobili played an excellent first half because he was driving to the basket... in Game 3 he did the same... the rest of the time it has been three pointers and mid-range chip shots from him. This must change.

2) A big man other than Duncan must step it up. Whether it is Horry, Thomas, or Oberto, there has to be someone who plays defense well enough to keep West from exploding for big points and who can chip in a few points themselves. My guess is that Popovich needs to start Oberto. He was able to get under West's skin a couple of times and that may be what is needed to get him out of his comfort zone. Additionally, Oberto has been able to make great passes to a sometimes cold Tim Duncan so that he can get easy points. If Horry could provide 10-15 quality minutes of defense, that would prove to be a tremendous positive. I don't really see how Thomas is going to contribute at this point in this series, but stranger things have happened. While Thomas was a huge asset in the Pheonix series, he's been a major negative in this one.

3) Popovich must allow the big three to play maximum minutes for maximum potential. There are two must-win games coming up and you never know what could happen next year: put it all on the line now. Put them in there for 42 minutes each, they can handle it. If they run out of gas in the end, they run out of gas, but you don't have many options at this point. While your bench has been touted as wonderful, the truth is that without Ginobili it is really weak. You need those guys out there as much as they can possibly stand it because they are essentially your total offense. Sure, you're going to have some points put in by the others, and every once in a blue moon you get a big game from somebody else, but night in and night out, those three are 75% of the score.

4) Attack the basket, attack the basket, attack the basket. The Spurs simply are not making their 3-pointers at a rate that is acceptable and a missed 3-pointer is much more damaging than a missed layup against the Hornets. A missed 3-pointer means Chris Paul is already heading down the floor and a pass is coming out to him. A missed layup usually means that Paul has been pulled in with the collapsing defense and can't push the ball up the court as easily.

5) Win it the way you won Games 3 and 4. In those games, you won it with tenacity and offensive execution. The Spurs defense against the Hornets depends a great deal on whether or not they can score and force the Hornets into a half-court situation over the duration of the game. The hornets are much less successful in that scenario against the Spurs. The tenacity was there before, so maybe Game 5 was just an off-night... if so, we need another two games of that high energy brought back. The Spurs do not match up well against the Hornets. The Spurs may even be an inferior team to the Hornets due to the lackluster performances of anybody outside the big three (which means the each of the big three must simultaneously perform well). But the Spurs are smarter, the Spurs are wiser, the Spurs are more experienced, and the Spurs have three players who can absolutely take over the game if necessary. It probably is going to be necessary.

It may be time for Manu to add to the legend... we're gonna need Super Manu in one of these games.

Spurs in 7... I hope.

BL

xtremesteven33
05-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Nice

Nbadan
05-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Manu Ginobili played outstandingly in the regular season but has only had a few flashes of brilliance in the playoffs. While he was hampered by some injuries in some of the games, Game 5 was not about injuries. Unfortunately, Ginobili is actually being forced by the gameplan to be more of a playmaker than a play finisher. In order for the Spurs to continue their campaign for a repeat, Ginobili must take the ball to the basket more often rather than going halfway and passing it out for the three-point play. While this does get shots for the role players, it assumes that they will make their three pointers which is a streaky proposition. In reality, Ginobili has a much greater chance of bringing points in if he attacks the basket all the way since he is likely to draw a foul at the very least. In Game 5 Ginobili played an excellent first half because he was driving to the basket... in Game 3 he did the same... the rest of the time it has been three pointers and mid-range chip shots from him. This must change.

Ginobili or Tony charging the basket usually results in good things, trouble is, the Hornets are crowding the paint and betting against the Spurs hitting their 3's in the hive....

Nbadan
05-14-2008, 05:29 PM
A big man other than Duncan must step it up. Whether it is Horry, Thomas, or Oberto, there has to be someone who plays defense well enough to keep West from exploding for big points and who can chip in a few points themselves. My guess is that Popovich needs to start Oberto. He was able to get under West's skin a couple of times and that may be what is needed to get him out of his comfort zone. Additionally, Oberto has been able to make great passes to a sometimes cold Tim Duncan so that he can get easy points. If Horry could provide 10-15 quality minutes of defense, that would prove to be a tremendous positive. I don't really see how Thomas is going to contribute at this point in this series, but stranger things have happened. While Thomas was a huge asset in the Pheonix series, he's been a major negative in this one.

I don't see Thomas as a major negative, but if he does manage to stay around in SA I would like to see more consistency in his mid-range game....

Nbadan
05-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Popovich must allow the big three to play maximum minutes for maximum potential. There are two must-win games coming up and you never know what could happen next year: put it all on the line now. Put them in there for 42 minutes each, they can handle it. If they run out of gas in the end, they run out of gas, but you don't have many options at this point. While your bench has been touted as wonderful, the truth is that without Ginobili it is really weak. You need those guys out there as much as they can possibly stand it because they are essentially your total offense. Sure, you're going to have some points put in by the others, and every once in a blue moon you get a big game from somebody else, but night in and night out, those three are 75% of the score.

I like to see Bruce covering Peja, and he was consistent with his 3-point shot in Game 5 for half the game...Spurs need Oberto and Thomas to crash the offensive glass, along with Duncan...

urunobili
05-14-2008, 07:04 PM
i like this thread! go Spurs mofos! :flag:

wildchild
05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Here's my take on some of the mistakes that have led the Spurs to being against the ropes. If the Spurs follow the following guidelines, I feel they have a great chance at winning another two games in a row and continuing through the playoffs. I'm no basketball expert, so please discuss these based on their merit rather than my credentials.

1) Manu Ginobili played outstandingly in the regular season but has only had a few flashes of brilliance in the playoffs. While he was hampered by some injuries in some of the games, Game 5 was not about injuries. Unfortunately, Ginobili is actually being forced by the gameplan to be more of a playmaker than a play finisher. In order for the Spurs to continue their campaign for a repeat, Ginobili must take the ball to the basket more often rather than going halfway and passing it out for the three-point play. While this does get shots for the role players, it assumes that they will make their three pointers which is a streaky proposition. In reality, Ginobili has a much greater chance of bringing points in if he attacks the basket all the way since he is likely to draw a foul at the very least. In Game 5 Ginobili played an excellent first half because he was driving to the basket... in Game 3 he did the same... the rest of the time it has been three pointers and mid-range chip shots from him. This must change.

2) A big man other than Duncan must step it up. Whether it is Horry, Thomas, or Oberto, there has to be someone who plays defense well enough to keep West from exploding for big points and who can chip in a few points themselves. My guess is that Popovich needs to start Oberto. He was able to get under West's skin a couple of times and that may be what is needed to get him out of his comfort zone. Additionally, Oberto has been able to make great passes to a sometimes cold Tim Duncan so that he can get easy points. If Horry could provide 10-15 quality minutes of defense, that would prove to be a tremendous positive. I don't really see how Thomas is going to contribute at this point in this series, but stranger things have happened. While Thomas was a huge asset in the Pheonix series, he's been a major negative in this one.

3) Popovich must allow the big three to play maximum minutes for maximum potential. There are two must-win games coming up and you never know what could happen next year: put it all on the line now. Put them in there for 42 minutes each, they can handle it. If they run out of gas in the end, they run out of gas, but you don't have many options at this point. While your bench has been touted as wonderful, the truth is that without Ginobili it is really weak. You need those guys out there as much as they can possibly stand it because they are essentially your total offense. Sure, you're going to have some points put in by the others, and every once in a blue moon you get a big game from somebody else, but night in and night out, those three are 75% of the score.

4) Attack the basket, attack the basket, attack the basket. The Spurs simply are not making their 3-pointers at a rate that is acceptable and a missed 3-pointer is much more damaging than a missed layup against the Hornets. A missed 3-pointer means Chris Paul is already heading down the floor and a pass is coming out to him. A missed layup usually means that Paul has been pulled in with the collapsing defense and can't push the ball up the court as easily.

5) Win it the way you won Games 3 and 4. In those games, you won it with tenacity and offensive execution. The Spurs defense against the Hornets depends a great deal on whether or not they can score and force the Hornets into a half-court situation over the duration of the game. The hornets are much less successful in that scenario against the Spurs. The tenacity was there before, so maybe Game 5 was just an off-night... if so, we need another two games of that high energy brought back. The Spurs do not match up well against the Hornets. The Spurs may even be an inferior team to the Hornets due to the lackluster performances of anybody outside the big three (which means the each of the big three must simultaneously perform well). But the Spurs are smarter, the Spurs are wiser, the Spurs are more experienced, and the Spurs have three players who can absolutely take over the game if necessary. It probably is going to be necessary.

It may be time for Manu to add to the legend... we're gonna need Super Manu in one of these games.

Spurs in 7... I hope.

BL

Agree with you in all points. I would like a little adjustment but I don't think Pop makes any changes. He could say "that's my champ defender team that's my play and I won't change anything win or lose"

Yuixafun
05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Duncan has to be more decisive in the post. He can't wait on the double team to dictate what he does. He is playing reactively instead of forcing the defense to respond.

When he is hesistant and not commited the end result is missed shot which in turn lets the Hornets get out in transition. He should not be getting blocked by David West on the low block. Too many times TD was tentative in game 5.

-- Manu circa 2005 would also be lovely. I'm not sure if I like this 4 for 7 on 3's character. I want the Gold Medal beast that shook a Lakers defender at the 3 point line, crossed over another, knifed through the lane.. and then dunked on 2 more, while paying tribute to Jordan with the kicked out legs.

Avitus1
05-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Spurs in 7!

Phenomanul
05-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Addendum:

If Hornets continue to knock Parker to the floor everytime he drives to the lane (that has been their only effective scheme of slowing/wearing Parker down) then maybe it's time the Spurs return the favor by fouling-in-kind everytime Paul drives to the hoop. Nothing dirty or bush league- simply pound him in the same fashion.

Believe! Spurs in Seven

Yuixafun
05-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Ime Udoka VS David West

I read a blog of a basketball player that was on the same team with Udoka when they played over in Africa..? He wrote that after one game, the crowd was so hostile they had to fight their way out. Apparently Udoka can kick some serious ass, as he was calmly karate chopping people and tossing others aside clearing a path for his teamates to the exit.

And during game 5 the commentators said that D.West boxxed during the offseason.

GrandeDavid
05-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Blue-Lightening, thanks for a very well-thought out, insightful thread. Your language speaks volumes about your intelligence and credibility. Nice job and thanks for sharing your thoughts; that was a nice read!

RashoFan
05-14-2008, 08:32 PM
I would like to add...
Believe!!!
Spurs need to keep strong and believe they will win the next 2 games.
Fans need to keep the faith and believe that the Spurs will give it their all to win the next 2 games.

NewJerSpur
05-14-2008, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=Nbadan;2496192]Ginobili or Tony charging the basket usually results in good things, trouble is, the Hornets are crowding the paint and betting against the Spurs hitting their 3's in the hive....[/[/I][/I][/I]QUOTE]

The smart adjustment the Hornets made to Parker's penetration in particular was that they started to double him HARD whenever someone set a pick for him...so much so he could barely turn the corner and accelerate into the lane; early on this even made Tim Thomas the primary offensive option which is scary. The Spurs can adjust by moving the ball better from side to side and into the paint and possibly using more off-the-ball screens so the big men can get free below the foul line.

Bottom line though is that if guys are open they MUST hit their jumpers no matter what the names on the backs of their Jerseys are. I suspect the offense to pick up at home.

Phenomanul
05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Addendum:

If Hornets continue to knock Parker to the floor everytime he drives to the lane (that has been their only effective scheme of slowing/wearing Parker down) then maybe it's time the Spurs return the favor by fouling-in-kind everytime Paul drives to the hoop. Nothing dirty or bush league- simply pound him in the same fashion.

Believe! Spurs in Seven

I'm telling ya! This is crucial for Games 6 & 7. Knock Paul on his rear in the same manner that Parker is getting mauled.

sa_butta
05-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Ill be happy if the Spurs just show some aggressiveness in the 3rd quarters of the next two games and close this damn thing out. Play to win.

Spurs in 7. Believe that.

DarrinS
05-15-2008, 10:14 AM

4) Attack the basket, attack the basket, attack the basket. The Spurs simply are not making their 3-pointers at a rate that is acceptable and a missed 3-pointer is much more damaging than a missed layup against the Hornets. A missed 3-pointer means Chris Paul is already heading down the floor and a pass is coming out to him. A missed layup usually means that Paul has been pulled in with the collapsing defense and can't push the ball up the court as easily.\

Amen, brother. Amen.