PDA

View Full Version : Mike Bud with the Suns?

tp2021
05-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't understand.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051408.06E.BKNspurs.notebook.fae478bc.html

Spurs notebook: Suns could be eyeing Spurs' assistant

Web Posted: 05/14/2008 12:14 AM CDT

By Mike Monroe

NEW ORLEANS — Another Spurs playoff run, another run on Gregg Popovich’s coaching staff.

After losing lead assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo to the Seattle SuperSonics after they won the 2007 NBA title, the Spurs may be in danger of losing assistant coach Mike Budenholzer to the Phoenix Suns.

Budenholzer, who was elevated to the lead assistant’s spot on Popovich’s staff after Carlesimo’s departure, has surfaced in Phoenix as a possible replacement for Mike D’Antoni.

D’Antoni and the Suns parted ways after the Spurs eliminated the Suns in the first round of the playoffs. D’Antoni this week was named head coach of the New York Knicks.

Suns general manager Steve Kerr is familiar with Budenholzer, who has been on Popovich’s coaching staff for 12 seasons, from the four seasons he played in San Antonio.

Budenholzer declined comment, except to say that he had not heard from anyone in the Suns’ organization about the job.

Record breaker: Spurs forward Robert Horry played nine-tenths of a second in the first quarter — he was sent into the game with 11.4 seconds remaining for the express purpose of fouling Hornets forward Melvin Ely — but that was enough for him to become the NBA’s all-time leader in playoff games played.

Horry returned to the game with 5:36 remaining in the second quarter for a longer stint.

Horry has played 238 playoff games, one more than Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Fired up: NBA Commissioner David Stern’s comments about the danger of using pyrotechnic displays inside arenas before, and during, games received support Tuesday from Popovich and NBA players’ union executive director Billy Hunter, who attended Game 5 at New Orleans Arena.

Stern, who attended Monday’s Celtics-Cavaliers game at Quicken Loans Arena, called the use of in-game pyrotechnics “ridiculous,” adding that they were “the kind of assault we should seriously consider reviewing in whether it’s really necessary, given the quality of our game.”

Noting that Game 1 of the Spurs-Hornets series was delayed for 22 minutes after a skit between the first and second quarters involving a team mascot jumping through a burning ring of fire, Popovich said he sits during such displays with head down, unwilling to watch, for fear of an accident taking place.

“In general, every time I’m in a place where they do pyrotechnics,” he said, “I tell myself there’s going to be an accident.

“It’s like a stop sign that doesn’t get put up until a kid gets killed. You say, ‘This is a dangerous corner,’ and nothing gets done about it until a kid gets killed, and you see a stop sign a week later.

“With all that fire and explosive material going on, and there are kids and people and cheerleaders, this and that all over the place, something is going to happen.”

Hunter expressed concern about the health effect of smoke and fumes lingering in the arena after such displays.

“I agree with David, 100 percent,” Hunter said. “From a health standpoint, I’d like to see it done away with.”

duncan228
05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
There was some conversation about this yesterday. (Not the article though.)

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95083

Brutalis
05-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Okay so if they are gunna do away with the smoke what about the cloud KG and LBJ like to make with the hand dust before a game?

Anyways.

Take him, that's just what we need. Another guy squealing on anything to do Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-14-2008, 07:43 PM
It's been posted before.
But still, I don't wanna see Bud go. They're better off making Kerr the head coach. :stirpot:

tp2021
05-14-2008, 07:47 PM
There was some conversation about this yesterday. (Not the article though.)

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95083

My bad.
You'd think I'd have seen this, since ST is about all I look at on the internets.
:bang

duncan228
05-14-2008, 07:51 PM
My bad.
You'd think I'd have seen this, since ST is about all I look at on the internets.
:bang

:lol It's a few pages back now, easy to miss. And the article wasn't out, someone had heard it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-14-2008, 07:52 PM
It's pretty hard to know whether or not an article you're about to post has been posted or not since threads from this morning are already like on page 4 :lol.

tp2021
05-14-2008, 08:09 PM
:lol It's a few pages back now, easy to miss. And the article wasn't out, someone had heard it.

It's pretty hard to know whether or not an article you're about to post has been posted or not since threads from this morning are already like on page 4

Yeah. I guess thats why I always bump the 2008 Draft thread, since i wanna know what all the greater minds here think. Which reminds me...

BillsCarnage
05-14-2008, 08:55 PM
if you can't beat them, steal 'em!

Although some reports here have said they won't look at him..

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Maybe Pop should spend more time figuring out how to deal with the NO defense and less time watching Hugo the Hornet during timeouts.