PDA

View Full Version : Simple

MannyIsGod
05-14-2008, 10:17 PM
It really is simple. Every one talks about adjustments and experience. The pundits break down the match ups for you and tell you why Player X is going to dominate and about how they change the game for others. Yeah but thats all good and great but basketball - even at the NBA level - can be a very simple game.

Make shots and you win. Miss them and you lose.

Game 1: 40.8/38.7
Game 2: 42.5/29.6
Game 3: 48.2/44.0
Game 4: 51.8/30.8
Game 5: 37.7/39.1

Those are the Spurs FG%/3PFG% from each game. As you can see, the difference in wins and losses is as simple as making shots. There are nuances to this, but for the most part the Spurs are able to get open shots in every single game.

However, in their wins they're hitting many more of those shots. In their wins they also get to the basket much better. A big part of that is also decision making and finding the appropriate shooter when the Hornets double.

What also needs to be considered when talking about how many times the Spurs pick and roll and how many times they find Duncan on teh block is that many times they do both on the same possession. It has been rare in this series to see the Spurs come down and immediatly clear out a side for Tim Duncan on the block. They usually come down and get into their motion sets or run off a screen.

But at the end of the day, the Spurs need to make a good percentage of their shots in order to win. Whether they come off of post opportunities, the pick and roll, penetration or kick outs the bottom line is if the Spurs miss often they will simply be fishing by this weekend.

Win or go home? How about make shots or go home.

E20
05-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Spurs are relying to heavily on teh three ball. May not always go for them and the Spurs do have some streaky shooters, but how can the Spurs not take a wide open three? Their personnel is composed of some of the best 3PT shooters in the league. NO's philosophy is: No easy baskets (high %) inside and we will give you all the threes we want (semi-contested). Spurs are trying to beat the Hornets from teh three point line and that's what NO wants them to do, similar to what LA did in 2004, contain the paint and have the shooters try to beat you. The Spurs need to go in attack/contact mode dive in to the lane, get fouled and make your FT's and finish strong. What I'd like to see is go 4down and instead of having Tim get doubled and pass out for a three, let's vary it up and have some backpicks/cuts going towards the rim, obviously someone will be open because of the double allowing them to cut to the basket for a higher percentage shot rather than a three, this should open up the shooters even more making it an easier three point shot.

05-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Making shots leads to winning games.

http://www.laobserved.com/images/ricromeromug.jpg

Film at 11.

E20
05-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Also, we need Ginobili of the 2005 WCSF against the Sonics where he could just attack attack attack the paint, don't know if it is due to his injuries or if he is worn out why he is not attacking the paint more.

SpursDynasty
05-14-2008, 10:26 PM
I agree. Some teams just make their shots and do nothing brilliant. Examples include the '06 Mavs and '08 Hornets.

NewJerSpur
05-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Spurs are relying to heavily on teh three ball. May not always go for them and the Spurs do have some streaky shooters, but how can the Spurs not take a wide open three? Their personnel is composed of some of the best 3PT shooters in the league. NO's philosophy is: No easy baskets (high %) inside and we will give you all the threes we want (semi-contested). Spurs are trying to beat the Hornets from teh three point line and that's what NO wants them to do, similar to what LA did in 2004, contain the paint and have the shooters try to beat you. The Spurs need to go in attack/contact mode dive in to the lane, get fouled and make your FT's and finish strong. What I'd like to see is go 4down and instead of having Tim get doubled and pass out for a three, let's vary it up and have some backpicks/cuts going towards the rim, obviously someone will be open because of the double allowing them to cut to the basket for a higher percentage shot rather than a three, this should open up the shooters even more making it an easier three point shot.

The Hornets have the combo of Peja and Mo Pete like the Spurs have had Barry and Horry in recent years...although the latter two could do a bit more than just spot up for open tre's. Unfortunately the health or lack-there-of of our guys this season has REALLY hurt us this postseason...normally pop would be able to put two of the "Big 3" on the court with 3 other interchangeable outside shooters but the bench has been shortened substantially during this run; it's hard to toss guys into the lineup who have barely touched the ball for a good chunk of the season. Thus the Spurs making things as competitive as they have been this series is enoug to marvel at. The original poster was correct: Guys just have to make shots. Timmy is doing the right thing in not forcing action again double teams and now his remaining teammates have to step up and knock down jumpers.

E20
05-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Maybe we should take a page from teh D'Antoni bible and fastbreak more, for more shots/easier baskets. :lol

JamStone
05-14-2008, 10:39 PM
If you don't miss any shots, you have a very good chance of winning.

Don Quixote
05-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah, it's pretty easy to say "make your dang shots!" I imagine all these guys, from the biggest superstar to the 12th man, all shoot lights out in an empty gym.

It's much, much harder to do it when NBA athletes are employing sophisticated defenses designed to prevent you from doing just that -- making your shots. If you play alot of 1-on-1, or 1-on-5, you're not going to make many shots. Pro teams need to run their plays; the better they run their plays, the easier their shots become, and the more they make. That's simple.

I contend, then, that the Spurs' shooting %age is a direct result of how well they are running their offense. So, I would say to the Silver & Black ... PLAY BETTER!

Trainwreck2100
05-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Don't play like shit for 12 minutes`

BonnerDynasty
05-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Maybe the Spurs should take some high percentage shots and not bullshit fadeaway off balance hooks, bullshit "I got stuck on my pivot foot so I will throw up a brick" finley shots, bullshit "let's just shoot 3's isntead of driving because they are bound to start falling in the 4th....and so on.

Horrible shot selection + no confidence. It's like the completely forget how to run an offense when in N.O.

spurscenter
05-15-2008, 12:12 AM
It really is simple.

Make shots and you win. Miss them and you lose.

yea because if its close, the refs, will dictate a winner, book it

MannyIsGod
05-15-2008, 12:24 AM
The thing is that the Hornets are giving them wide open jumpers off almost every double team. The Spurs need to have the balls to capitalize on those. If we go down gunning on wide open jumpers then so be it. But to go down forcing the ball into the teeth of their defense is playing right into their hands.

1Parker1
05-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Spurs have no one outside of the Big 3 who can come in and make shots on their own. So if one or two of the Big 3 is having an off night, it spells disaster for the rest of the team. They also don't have anyone who can come in and give you 20 points other than the Big 3. When was the last time someone other than Parker/Duncan/Ginobili gave you 20+ points?

Not only that, they showed the defensive stat in the Lakers/Jazz game last night. Out of the 8 teams left in the playoffs, Spurs rank deadlast in the postseason in opponents field goal %, allowing opponents to shoot 46%. Pop has always believed that this stat is indicative to how the team is playing defense, well Pop, they aren't doing their job.

This year's Spurs, their defense feeds off their offense, whereas in champions past, their good defense fed off their offense....especially on the road. These 3rd quarter collapses, when the Spurs aren't scoring, they aren't doing much to stop the Hornets from scoring either, that's why by the time the 4th quarter starts, the game is already put away.

MannyIsGod
05-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Spurs have no one outside of the Big 3 who can come in and make shots on their own. So if one or two of the Big 3 is having an off night, it spells disaster for the rest of the team. They also don't have anyone who can come in and give you 20 points other than the Big 3. When was the last time someone other than Parker/Duncan/Ginobili gave you 20+ points?

Not only that, they showed the defensive stat in the Lakers/Jazz game last night. Out of the 8 teams left in the playoffs, Spurs rank deadlast in the postseason in opponents field goal %, allowing opponents to shoot 46%. Pop has always believed that this stat is indicative to how the team is playing defense, well Pop, they aren't doing their job.

This year's Spurs, their defense feeds off their offense, whereas in champions past, their good defense fed off their offense....especially on the road. These 3rd quarter collapses, when the Spurs aren't scoring, they aren't doing much to stop the Hornets from scoring either, that's why by the time the 4th quarter starts, the game is already put away.

To be fair look at who the Spurs have faced. You can't knock them being last when Boston has played Atlanta and Cleaveland while the Spurs get NO and Phoenix.

florige
05-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Don't play like shit for 12 minutes`

Yeah Really!!!!!

DarrinS
05-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Spurs need to be the more agressive team and attack the basket.

It seems to me that, especially Manu and Tim, have become less agressive over the past few seasons. I don't know if that is age or what, but I notice it.

Remember how fearless Manu played against the Sonics in 2005?

Now, we see Manu being in love with the 3. That's good and all, when they go in, but when they don't, they turn in to fast-break opportunities for CP3.

Also, you see Tim now and then settle for that jumper near the top of the key. It reminds me of DRob when he was in the twilight of his career.

Oh well, win this or go home, as they say.

Peja
05-15-2008, 08:20 AM
I agree. Some teams just make their shots and do nothing brilliant. Examples include the '06 Mavs and '08 Hornets.

hahaha

sure ...hornets d and chris paul are nothing brilliant........ we can just shoot , thats all

florige
05-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Spurs need to be the more agressive team and attack the basket.

It seems to me that, especially Manu and Tim, have become less agressive over the past few seasons. I don't know if that is age or what, but I notice it.

Remember how fearless Manu played against the Sonics in 2005?

Now, we see Manu being in love with the 3. That's good and all, when they go in, but when they don't, they turn in to fast-break opportunities for CP3.
Also, you see Tim now and then settle for that jumper near the top of the key. It reminds me of DRob when he was in the twilight of his career.

Oh well, win this or go home, as they say.

It's not the 3's that are kiliing us, it's when he shoots them. Like shooting them on the break against NO's and it rattles out is a guaranteed 2 pts for them on the other end, and probably an +1.

DarrinS
05-15-2008, 08:27 AM
hahaha

sure ...hornets d and chris paul are nothing brilliant........ we can just shoot , thats all

Hornets have two all-star players. Beyond that, nothing special, just some scrubs playing out of their minds. Most of those guys would ride pine on other teams. CP3 makes them better. Chris Chandler? WTF can this guy do besides throw down alley oops from CP3? I guess he's the master of the moving pic.

VaSpursFan
05-15-2008, 08:27 AM
how about this...the Spurs need to come out after halftime in NO and go for the kill. Every game in NO has practically been the same; Spurs lead at halftime, crappy 3rd...game over. string together a full 48 mins in NO with maximum effort is all that i ask for. if we go down, tip your hats but it's really disappointing to see us getting punched in the mouth and we just fold.

cjjr72984
05-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Chris Chandler? WTF can this guy do besides throw down alley oops from CP3? I guess he's the master of the moving pic.

His name is Tyson you dumbass. And what else does he do besides alley-oops? How about being the leading offensive rebounder in the league as well as average 11.8 pts, 11.7 rebounds, and a block per game. His rebounding and defense helps the hornets out in so many ways. That's why the hornets are a good team. They have players that help them out in different ways.

florige
05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Hornets have two all-star players. Beyond that, nothing special, just some scrubs playing out of their minds. Most of those guys would ride pine on other teams. CP3 makes them better. Chris Chandler? WTF can this guy do besides throw down alley oops from CP3? I guess he's the master of the moving pic.

That is what pisses me off about this series. Everytime I see that bum Peterson hit a shot I cringe. And all the shots that bum manages to hit always seem to be run killing shots, or dagger shots.

ambchang
05-15-2008, 08:41 AM
The Hornets defense is like Jerkyl and Hyde, it has great rotations and close outs at home, but they breakdown quickly on the road, part of it comes as being a young team, but the Spurs have to attack the rim aggressively all night, they can't settle for jumpshots when they think that they are not getting calls.

Chandler is obviously key to the defense of the Hornets, so take that ball at him, this is how you deal with a shot blocking. Put up weak stuff and fade away from him will only result in miss/blocked shots.

Go Spurs, take care of business at home.

Ginofan
05-15-2008, 08:42 AM
His name is Tyson you dumbass. And what else does he do besides alley-oops? How about being the leading offensive rebounder in the league as well as average 11.8 pts, 11.7 rebounds, and a block per game. His rebounding and defense helps the hornets out in so many ways. That's why the hornets are a good team. They have players that help them out in different ways.

BFD

You think he was jack shit before he met Chris Fall? Heck no.

boutons_
05-15-2008, 08:44 AM
04 Playoffs Spurs vs Lakers, FG% Spurs vs Lakers
===============================

@ATT
W 88 - 78 .468 vs .377
W 95 - 85 .522 vs .514

@LAL
L 81 - 105 .341 vs .569
L 90 - 98 .405 vs .500

@ATT
L 73 - 74 .382 vs .431

@LAL
L 76 - 88 .302 vs .446

DarrinS
05-15-2008, 08:44 AM

Chris Chandler? lol. WTF was I thinking?

Anyway, no offense to the OP, but fuck all this jump shooting shit. That not what the Spurs are all about.

Tim should be able to physically abuse Stringbean Chandler if he makes quick, agressive moves to the rim and doesn't stand there waiting for the Hornets to adjust. I can see Praying-Mantis Chandler having 4 or 5 fouls in the first half if he does this and then, ... it's Melvin Ely time, baby!

JamStone
05-15-2008, 08:45 AM
The thing is that the Hornets are giving them wide open jumpers off almost every double team. The Spurs need to have the balls to capitalize on those. If we go down gunning on wide open jumpers then so be it. But to go down forcing the ball into the teeth of their defense is playing right into their hands.

Why is it "having balls" to shoot open jumpers?

Why is it not "having balls" to attack the defense with drives and deep posts when those open jumpers are not falling?

cjjr72984
05-15-2008, 08:50 AM
I can see Praying-Mantis Chandler having 4 or 5 fouls in the first half if he does this and then, ... it's Melvin Ely time, baby!

I just wish Byron Scott would use Hilton Armstrong more. He's the same height as Tyson but a little bulkier and is capable enough of playing defense on duncan. Not to mention, he is a better offensive scorer in the post as Tyson.

cjjr72984
05-15-2008, 08:52 AM
BFD

You think he was jack shit before he met Chris Fall? Heck no.

Ummm ok, I can see if the guy was a total scrub. But he's always had the ability since his Chi-town days, it's just that now he's on a team that fits his style of play better.

Josepatches
05-15-2008, 08:57 AM

That's what I said all the series.Tim's teammates have to shoot if they are open.When the ball come form Duncan's hands they are making
extra pass all the time and they lose the advantage.
I would like to see barry more time on the court too.Remenber Kerr in Game 5 against the Nets or Mavs in 2003.We will destroy the double team if we can make that wide open jumpers.
basketball is more easy when you have a player that has to be double team every time but we has to use this advantage.Thanks to Tim we always have players with the best 3PT% of the league (Steve smith,Bowen,Turkoglu,Barry) who shoots better than ever in their careers.I'm pretty sure Manu,Finley or Barry could make more than 50% of the shots if they are wide open.Even Bruce could do it.
We need to open the court and Parker,Td or Manu could score more easily.

MannyIsGod
05-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Chris Chandler? lol. WTF was I thinking?

Anyway, no offense to the OP, but fuck all this jump shooting shit. That not what the Spurs are all about.

Tim should be able to physically abuse Stringbean Chandler if he makes quick, agressive moves to the rim and doesn't stand there waiting for the Hornets to adjust. I can see Praying-Mantis Chandler having 4 or 5 fouls in the first half if he does this and then, ... it's Melvin Ely time, baby!

Chandler is probably the 2nd best defensive big man out West to begin with. I don't think he's "string bean". Next, they're doubling and they're doubling hard. The only game they went away from this a bit was game four and you saw that it got them.

The Hornets are going to take away everything and give up jump shots. You have to make them. If the Spurs do not, they will lose.

DarrinS
05-15-2008, 09:05 AM

Why is it not "having balls" to attack the defense with drives and deep posts when those open jumpers are not falling?

See, someone gets it.

If we want to just trade jump shots with them, we might as well pack up and go home, because they are a better shooting team than the Spurs.

It's maddening as hell to watch this series and KNOW that Chandler cannot guard Tim. There are a few players that can defend Timmy well (Sheed comes to mind), but not Tyson Straight-outta-Compton Chandler.

:bang

MannyIsGod
05-15-2008, 09:07 AM

Its stupid to pump fake a weak closeout when you have what is a wide open 3 and you're a good 3 point shooter. The Spurs start doing this when they miss one or two. I can only imagine it is out of fear of missing but its bad because the Hornets rotate extremely well. In that time you're pump faking and trying to get to the lane they've already made the defensive rotation and you're going to have to move the ball to another open shooter where we rinse and repeat.

The Spurs need to have confidence in their ability to make those open shots and not continuously run down the shot clock with bad drives.

DarrinS
05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Chandler is probably the 2nd best defensive big man out West to begin with. I don't think he's "string bean".

Chandler: 7'1", 235 lbs

Duncan: 6'11", 260 lbs

Fuck, Ime Ukoka weighs 220, and he's only 6'5"

MannyIsGod
05-15-2008, 09:08 AM
See, someone gets it.

If we want to just trade jump shots with them, we might as well pack up and go home, because they are a better shooting team than the Spurs.

It's maddening as hell to watch this series and KNOW that Chandler cannot guard Tim. There are a few players that can defend Timmy well (Sheed comes to mind), but not Tyson Straight-outta-Compton Chandler.

:bang

Well no shit he can't guard him but they're not playing 1v1. Its a 5v5 game and if they're sending 2-3 people to guard one player the entire series then that player is going to have an extremely difficult time scoring. Even if he's Tim Duncan.

E20
05-15-2008, 09:14 AM
I think Pop said it when he complained about the refs/FT disparity. Spurs settle too much for jumpshots and when they attack the paint they want the foul, so they put up some pansy ass shot, that has no chance of going in and the refs don't call it and they whine about it.

Why don't the Spurs do what the Hornets are doing to the Spurs? Close in the paint dare them to shoot jumpers, but the person who is guarding Peja or Mo Pete should be the ones to never double. Hornets get into the paint with West, Chandler Alleyoops and Paul drives pretty easily.

JamStone
05-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Chandler: 7'1", 235 lbs

Duncan: 6'11", 260 lbs

Fuck, Ime Ukoka weighs 220, and he's only 6'5"

I doubt Chandler is still only 235. The kid has bulked up over the last couple seasons. He is stronger than some people give him credit for, and he's still a freakish athlete for his size.

But, Duncan should still be able to take him in the post.

MannyIsGod
05-15-2008, 09:20 AM
I think Pop said it when he complained about the refs/FT disparity. Spurs settle too much for jumpshots and when they attack the paint they want the foul, so they put up some pansy ass shot, that has no chance of going in and the refs don't call it and they whine about it.

Why don't the Spurs do what the Hornets are doing to the Spurs? Close in the paint dare them to shoot jumpers, but the person who is guarding Peja or Mo Pete should be the ones to never double. Hornets get into the paint with West, Chandler Alleyoops and Paul drives pretty easily.

They have an easier time because Paul is a much better passer than Tony or Manu. He creates much more.

But they tried to shut off the lane last game and they dared the Hornets to shoot. Mo Pete destroyed them. You can't dare Peja to shoot cause he'll destroy you too.

L.I.T
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM
There's some crazy cosmic humor going on when the Spurs are in a series that makes everyone sound like 'Spursdynasty'.