PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Ginobili Says Spurs Lost Focus After 'T'

duncan228
05-14-2008, 10:54 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.051508.SpursSider.EN.ffbd3f04.html

NBA: Ginobili says Spurs lost focus after 'T'
Mike Monroe

Don Newman played seven seasons in the Canadian Football League and went to training camp with two NFL teams. It makes sense that one of his duties as a Spurs assistant coach is to corral Gregg Popovich when the head coach seems intent on carrying an argument with the referees to the point of ejection.

Nevertheless, it took gang-tackling to contain Popovich during Tuesday night’s Spurs-Hornets Westen Conference semifinal game at New Orleans Arena when he got into it with referee Joey Crawford.

Newman had the first “hit” on Popovich in an attempt to steer him away from Crawford. In football terms, he failed to wrap him up. By the time Robert Horry and Manu Ginobili piled on, Crawford already had decided Popovich deserved a technical foul.

That Popovich’s ire was sparked by a relatively meaningless violation he believed had been misinterpreted by Crawford couldn’t stop the blood from rushing to his face or keep him from breaking from Newman’s grasp. He thought Crawford had misapplied a rule about how players line up for free throws and refused to back down from his position.

The technical foul cost the Spurs only one point, but Ginobili said that one reason for the Spurs’ second-half collapse was their preoccupation with the officiating afterward.

According to Ginobili, lobbying the referees is part of Popovich’s job description.

The players, he said, should just play.

“Pop is allowed to do that because he knows the league a lot.” Ginobili said after the Hornets put the Spurs on the brink of playoff elimination with a 101-79 victory in Game 5. “I think we got too worried about refs way too much.”

New Orleans upped its defensive intensity in the third quarter Tuesday and made the game more physical. The Spurs, though, didn’t shoot a free throw in the period, and only four in the second half.

In Ginobili’s view, the Spurs responded less with physicality and aggression. Instead, he said, they settled for wasted whining.

“We talked too much,” Ginobili said. “We’ve just got to let Pop do that. We know he’s going to get a technical. He’s going to get upset. He’s going to talk to them. But it’s his job. We’ve just got to be more focused on playing, not say a word, and keep fighting.”

Popovich agreed with his erstwhile sixth man about the players’ occasional preoccupation with the referees, but put the focus on the Hornets’ stellar defense and the onus on his team to respond more appropriately.

“That game had to do with New Orleans’ defense in the third quarter,” Popovich said, while agreeing the Spurs wasted too much emotion on perceived injustice. “I know everybody wants to try and make it something different, or pick at this that. But they deserve credit for that. They did it very well.”

The coach did some off-day lobbying about the officiating while discussing some of the hard hits absorbed by point guard Tony Parker in the second half of Game 5.

“There is no gauge to show you, on a scale of 1 to 10, how hard he got hit, or this and that,” Popovich said. “One thing we didn’t expect was the disparity, free-throw-wise. We’ve got to figure out a way to get to the line.

“Timmy (Duncan) took 18 shots and shot one free throw. They shot 13 free throws in the third quarter, and we shot zero. I thought we were at the rim as much as they were. So we have got to figure out how to get to the line. That (disparity) is not something you expect. You figure that will probably even itself out in a game. But that’s one of those things you hope will be pretty much a wash. That’s not something we expected last night. That hurt us, not getting to the line.”

CubanMustGo
05-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Gregg Popovich complains publicly about officiating about as frequently as it rains in Chile's Atacama Desert. Read into that what you will.

But he was still a stupid MOFO for getting into it with Crawdad.

slayermin
05-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Did Pop just pull a Phyllis Jackson?

it's me
05-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Just play Manu WTF... where is the RS Manu ?? ... stop talking and start playing ...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Spurs have taken a step back mentally. The refs are partly to blame, but the Spurs have to learn to live with their adjusted referreeing this season. Duncan's getting abused, and Ginobili's (and Oberto) are getting singled out for their 'flopping'.

(Pop didn't help our case much with the refs. :lol)

Good thing Manu's guilty of the whining somewhat, otherwise, he'd be calling out Tim and Bruce.
Spurs can't get too self-conscious because of those damn refs.:bang:bang:bang

BonnerDynasty
05-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Manu quit making excuses and play your game. Hopefully the players will quit whining and just play.

The time for that bullshit has passed.

it's me
05-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Manu quit making excuses and play your game. Hopefully the players will quit whining and just play.

The time for that bullshit has passed.

+1

288pipi
05-14-2008, 11:08 PM
ginobili come on!!!!

milkyway21
05-14-2008, 11:12 PM
I just wish the Spurs would just play like THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS...

No excuses.

You are the better team.

Let's move on.
Make us proud games 6 & 7.

I believe you can do it.
You know you can do it.

If you really want to repeat, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

EXECUTE.

honestfool84
05-14-2008, 11:14 PM
13-0 free throws in the 3rd quarter alone?
THAT alone is the reasons they went up by whatever amount they did.
that is complete bull$hit. seriously.

if any NO fan says the 'reffing' was fair, then they have their head too far up cp3's ass.

Princess Pimp
05-14-2008, 11:16 PM
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

ducks
05-14-2008, 11:17 PM
did pop go public about refs
wow
he is really ticked at joe

ducks
05-14-2008, 11:19 PM
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

duncan is a mvp he should be treated like one

timvp
05-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Pop complaining publicly about the free throw disparity? :huh

He's definitely trying to pull out all the tricks to get the Spurs back in this series. I don't remember him ever having similar comments ... even after the travesty in Dallas in 2006.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-14-2008, 11:28 PM

He's definitely trying to pull out all the tricks to get the Spurs back in this series. I don't remember him ever having similar comments ... even after the travesty in Dallas in 2006.

Pop's a changed man. He's reevaluated his principles ever since the Hack-a-Shaq strategy. "Whatever it takes" for the repeat I guess.

mytespurs
05-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Is that referee working any further games this series? I guess Pop will be on his hit list or vice versa! :D

Brutalis
05-14-2008, 11:33 PM
:wtf

milkyway21
05-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I just want to know when this Hornets' battery of Tony Parker going to end?

the league shld take a closer look into it.

Trainwreck2100
05-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Just play Manu WTF... where is the RS Manu ?? ... stop talking and start playing ...

In the article he says they whined to much

it's me
05-14-2008, 11:51 PM
In the article he says they whined to much

That's my point!

SpurOutofTownFan
05-14-2008, 11:54 PM
I always point this out on PJ - Pop is doing it now. We all know the SPurs got the worse of the calls on Tuesday but they have never resorted to this before. Oh well.

sprrs
05-15-2008, 12:13 AM
13-0 free throws in the 3rd quarter alone?
THAT alone is the reasons they went up by whatever amount they did.
that is complete bull$hit. seriously.

if any NO fan says the 'reffing' was fair, then they have their head too far up cp3's ass.

13 free throws in the third isn't the reason for Tim and Tony playing like wusses the entire game.

MannyIsGod
05-15-2008, 12:23 AM
I hope this is a bullshit side show and not an indication of how they are really feeling because thats bad news. They have no control over the refs, but they do have control over their free throws and tenative play.

They played pretty fucking scared if you ask me. The refs didn't do that for them.

pawe
05-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Do what you have to do Pop! No time for being proud, everyone knows the Spurs got jobbed by the refs and pop did the right thing by exposing it. You never know, the refs for the next game might take this into consideration. It's better to do something than not do anything.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Pop getting zen? WTF?

MI21
05-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Pop going all Phil Jackson... didn't expect that one.

Can't hurt I guess.

beachwood
05-15-2008, 01:14 AM
Has Pop ever lobbied the refs publicly like this before? I do think the guys were getting caught up with the refs last night. As physical and as frantic as the game was, can't believe we didn't shoot a single free throw in the 3rd. Guess it happens.

Screw it, if we gotta win 5 on 8, let's do it.

TampaDude
05-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Fuck the refs. Just win.

Capt Bringdown
05-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Losing your focus in a pivotal game 5?

You don't deserve to be called a champion.

Spurs are on very shaky ground at the moment.

Ginofan
05-15-2008, 07:40 AM
I really don't know what to say about this. On one hand I'm hopeful that this will get us a fair shake in Game 6, but on the other...it's like we have no pride...we are publicly complaining about calls...it's weird.

vanvannen
05-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Pop is wrong thinking Spurs should have got more calls.
The entire 3rd quarter was brick J after brick J. You don't get many FT playing like that.
Tony should roam the key a la Steve Nash and create mismatches. 4Down and kick out is not gonna cut it.

VaSpursFan
05-15-2008, 08:36 AM
wow...pulling a phil jackson and working the refs through the media??? that's an interesting wrinkle. that said, i like manu's position and Timmy should really listen take it to heart. the time has passed for whining to the refs in hope of getting a call...it's now time to execute against all odds. strap em up, man up, and ball with passion. when the cards are stacked against you, a true test of a team is how they respond.

win 1...Go Spurs Go!!!

MoSpur
05-15-2008, 08:47 AM
It could be that they didn't get to the line because we kept settling for jump shots. Add to that Tim's complaining. The Spurs just need to be more aggressive on offense. Plain and simple.

Pop pulling this is pretty lame.

SAGambler
05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
With the history from last year, Joey Crawford should never be allowed on the same court the Spurs are playing on.

Actually, with the ego he has, Joey Crawford should never be allowed on any court.

hater
05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
meltdown?

spurastic
05-15-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm glad Pop is calling attention to the reffing. There does seem to be a NBA/ref etc. desire for Spurs not to repeat ($$$$$$$) and many of the refs are calling ticky tacky fouls on the Spurs while calling only the hardest or only after numerous repeats of fouls on the other Teams players. The difference is when the Spurs just get upset about the reffing, they lose. When they man up, they play even better and win the games in spite of the calls.

ctpsb
05-15-2008, 09:56 AM
It is a little surprising to read this as I thought one of the edges the Spurs had was experience and maturity to compensate for being older and less athletic than the Hornets. If we lose that then this series is over!

PS I will add it was total BS to have Crawford officiating a crucial game after recent history.

hater
05-15-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm glad Pop is calling attention to the reffing. There does seem to be a NBA/ref etc. desire for Spurs not to repeat ($$$$$$$) and many of the refs are calling ticky tacky fouls on the Spurs while calling only the hardest or only after numerous repeats of fouls on the other Teams players. The difference is when the Spurs just get upset about the reffing, they lose. When they man up, they play even better and win the games in spite of the calls.

huh, the 3 times we lost this series, we got our asses kicked fair and square. why would u even waste time talkin about refs??

:bang

spurastic
05-15-2008, 10:32 AM
huh, the 3 times we lost this series, we got our asses kicked fair and square. why would u even waste time talkin about refs??

:bang

I do think that the Hornets beat the Spurs with better play but the Spurs get a few bad calls on them and sometimes they seem to just give up and play like shit. (At other times, they have played all the harder). For example, in game five, Tim seemed to have gave up (became frustrated) on that first Foul called on him in the first few moments of the game. He never regained his composure. I didn't record the game so I can't go back to look. How can you imply that the quality of reffing doesn't influence the game. I just want to shake the Spurs and tell them to play regardless of the refs.

dbestpro
05-15-2008, 11:06 AM
In regards to the refs one has to wonder how history would be if they got the same respect as previous multi-champions. The Lakers, Celtics and Bulls always got the calls because they were the defending champions. To beat them was to beat the whistle too.
The Spurs have had to win their's despite the whistle. People can say what they want to say today, but one day history will look back and the truth will come to light.
The Rockets I'd say also got their's without the help of the zebra. Maybe its a Texas thing.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-15-2008, 11:30 AM
I think this is Manu's way of calling out his teammates a little bit, particularly Timmy, without doing so directly. He's basically saying that Pop is the only person who should be complaining to the refs. The team should keep attacking regardless of whether they're getting the calls.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-15-2008, 11:32 AM
In regards to the refs one has to wonder how history would be if they got the same respect as previous multi-champions. The Lakers, Celtics and Bulls always got the calls because they were the defending champions. To beat them was to beat the whistle too.
The Spurs have had to win their's despite the whistle. People can say what they want to say today, but one day history will look back and the truth will come to light.
The Rockets I'd say also got their's without the help of the zebra. Maybe its a Texas thing.

That's very true. As great as MJ was, what always used to get under my skin about watching the Bulls was the fact that the Bulls would get the benefit of so many calls. The Spurs really don't get that same preferential treatment. Good post.

GrandeDavid
05-15-2008, 11:34 AM
:wtf

Brutalis, this article justifies your take yesterday when you were pissed off about the officiating and Spurs' effort.

GrandeDavid
05-15-2008, 11:35 AM
My take on the officiating is that just by looking at Crawford you know he's an ahole, self-conscious and just not a good guy. I'm assuming he won't be reffing either of these final two games, so that in itself should help the Spurs either in a practical or psychological sense. The only other thing I said was that he needs to be shot.

roturn
05-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Ginobili needs to stop making excuses for the Hornets beating that ass...

You didn't hear the Hornets complaining about anything after the whooping they recieved on Sunday?

Own up Spurs, take some responsibilty...and give some credit.

rayray2k8
05-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Why are they gonna complain about going to the line, IF THEY CAN EVEN MAKE THEIR FUCKING FREE THROWS??!!
Stop crying and play.
You wanna know how to get the the lane?
Go to the rim and act like you're going to dunk!!
I was going nuts, when timmy kept looking at the ref, instead of going
back on defense.

Let's play Spurs basketball!!

G-Nob
05-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm shocked. I've never heard pop call out the refs like that publically. I don't know what he is thinking but if the Spurs go onto lose this series, Pop needs to take part of the blame for this. He should've made the Bowen adjustment in Game 2. He should've blown off the Crawford call in Game 5 and he is uncharacteristically calling out the officials for Game 6.

I've never seen him act like this. These guys know what they have to do to try to force a Game 7. He doesn't need to revert to Jackson/D'Antoni whining.

lefty
05-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Gregg Popovich complains publicly about officiating about as frequently as it rains in Chile's Atacama Desert. Read into that what you will.

But he was still a stupid MOFO for getting into it with Crawdad.

I agree

Jon1798
05-15-2008, 12:56 PM
I really don't know what to make of Spurs fans. Half seem to be intelligent, sensible fans, they realize the Spurs lost by 22 points, they know Tim Duncan and Tony played like wusses and didn't draw any fouls. They call out their stars and their coach for the bush league things they're pulling.

The other half act like 12 year old little girls. The MVP doesn't get any calls even though he's only had what, 7 fouls called on him in 5 games? Only the hardest fouls get called on the Hornets even though they were called while not even touching Manu and Parker on a couple of plays.

Tim Duncan was out of it after his first foul???? He only had one the entire rest of the game. Meanwhile our starting center was on the bench in foul trouble from perfectly legal plays.

Just man up, and this includes Pop, grow a pair, and admit you got beat. You'll sleep better.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2008, 01:11 PM
1. It was dumb for Pop to get into it with Joey, he had to know he was going to lose that argument.

2. I have no problem with Pop calling out the officiating, I'm tired of the kid gloves treatment for Paul and West.

3. Pop fucked up on bitching about the officiating, he should have saved that card to play before game 7 in New Orleans.

polandprzem
05-15-2008, 03:01 PM

He was asked back then about FT attempts and he responded to the reported:
"They got more FT because we probably fouled them more!"

That was probably it: No excuses for the team.
Hopefully Pop will find the way to get his players to the FT line :)

As for Ginobili comment. As I said it when he was sitted by Pop in reg seson for arguing to the ref. It's Pops job to talk to refs. Players should just play.
Damn - play though it!

polandprzem
05-15-2008, 03:21 PM
3. Pop fucked up on bitching about the officiating, he should have saved that card to play before game 7 in New Orleans.
There will be game 7 ? :huh

degenerate_gambler
05-15-2008, 03:28 PM
There will be game 7 ? :huh

damn right there will be.

spursfan09
05-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Joey Crawford shoud stay away from Spurs games. Especially playoff games