PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Horry Gets Pat On Back From Kareem, 'Split Decision' On Double Delay Call

duncan228
05-14-2008, 11:02 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MySA.051508.SpursNotes.EN.ffb5e890.html

Spurs-Hornets notebook: Horry gets pat on back from Kareem
Mike Monroe

Spurs forward Robert Horry, who played in an NBA-record 238th playoff game Tuesday, received congratulatory words from the Hall of Fame player whose record he surpassed.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, now an assistant coach for the Los Angeles Lakers, told reporters in Los Angeles that the record was a testament to the quality of Horry’s 16-year NBA career.

Horry never has failed to advance past the first round of the playoffs in any of his 16 seasons. He has been on seven championship teams.

“It’s a testament to him being involved in good efforts,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “You’ve got to make the playoffs. It’s just a testimony to the quality of his career and that he played in so many playoff games.”

Abdul-Jabbar, who played 20 seasons and still reigns as the NBA’s all-time scoring leader, said he was not surprised that someone broke his mark for playoff games played.

“I played 20 years and there were only a couple of years we didn’t make the playoffs,” he said. “When I started playing, the playoffs were another round shorter. It was fewer games. But that’s just an incredible performance (by Horry), in terms of being on winning teams and helping them to go as far as they go.”

Split decision : The NBA’s basketball operations department on Wednesday reviewed the double delay of game call made by referee Joey Crawford that so incensed Spurs coach Gregg Popovich in Tuesday’s Game 5 of the Spurs-Hornets Western Conference semifinal series at New Orleans Arena.

The result: A split decision.

Popovich received a technical foul from Crawford after arguing the validity of the call, made with 10.5 seconds left in the first quarter of the Hornets’ 101-79 victory.

An NBA spokesperson said executive vice-president for basketball operations Stu Jackson confirmed that Popovich’s interpretation of the rule about foul line access was correct, but that Crawford was within his rights to make a judgment call that players from both teams had contributed to the delay of the game.

Game 6 tipoff : Because the Detroit Pistons closed out their Eastern Conference semifinal series against the Orlando Magic on Tuesday, tipoff for tonight’s Game 6 between the Spurs and Hornets is at 8.

Spurs officials reported that about 700 tickets remained as of Wednesday afternoon.

slayermin
05-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Split decision : The NBA’s basketball operations department on Wednesday reviewed the double delay of game call made by referee Joey Crawford that so incensed Spurs coach Gregg Popovich in Tuesday’s Game 5 of the Spurs-Hornets Western Conference semifinal series at New Orleans Arena.

The result: A split decision.

Popovich received a technical foul from Crawford after arguing the validity of the call, made with 10.5 seconds left in the first quarter of the Hornets’ 101-79 victory.

An NBA spokesperson said executive vice-president for basketball operations Stu Jackson confirmed that Popovich’s interpretation of the rule about foul line access was correct, but that Crawford was within his rights to make a judgment call that players from both teams had contributed to the delay of the game.

So really, this was much ado about nothing. Pop should have saved it for the third quarter when we were really getting screwed.

Man of Steel
05-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Pop's fault we lost--pissed off Joey the Dick Crawford for nothing...

whottt
05-15-2008, 12:14 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MySA.051508.SpursNotes.EN.ffb5e890.html

Spurs-Hornets notebook: Horry gets pat on back from Kareem
Mike Monroe

Spurs forward Robert Horry, who played in an NBA-record 238th playoff game Tuesday, received congratulatory words from the Hall of Fame player whose record he surpassed.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, now an assistant coach for the Los Angeles Lakers, told reporters in Los Angeles that the record was a testament to the quality of Horry’s 16-year NBA career.

Horry never has failed to advance past the first round of the playoffs in any of his 16 seasons. He has been on seven championship teams.

“It’s a testament to him being involved in good efforts,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “You’ve got to make the playoffs. It’s just a testimony to the quality of his career and that he played in so many playoff games.”

Abdul-Jabbar, who played 20 seasons and still reigns as the NBA’s all-time scoring leader, said he was not surprised that someone broke his mark for playoff games played.

“I played 20 years and there were only a couple of years we didn’t make the playoffs,” he said. “When I started playing, the playoffs were another round shorter. It was fewer games. But that’s just an incredible performance (by Horry), in terms of being on winning teams and helping them to go as far as they go.”

That sounds a lot more like something I would expect Kareem to say then what he said in the other article. :tu

spurscenter
05-15-2008, 01:08 AM
no joey was on an agenda from whistle.

TampaDude
05-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Joey shouldn't be allowed to ref any more Spurs games ever...

BrokerinSA
05-15-2008, 02:13 AM
One thing no one has mentioned is that if it was indeed a delay on them as well as us, we should have shot a ft because they had been whistled for one earlier. I can't remember who, but someone made a shot and then threw the ball, as the players were running down the court, you can hear the whistle being blown.

greyforest
05-15-2008, 03:03 AM
hers a good pop quote

“You know, Timmy took 18 shots and shot one free throw,” he said. “They (the Hornets) shot 13 free throws in the third quarter, and we shot zero. I thought we were at the rim as much as they were. So we have got to figure out how to get to the line.”

urunobili
05-15-2008, 07:48 AM
That sounds a lot more like something I would expect Kareem to say then what he said in the other article. :tu

i think he got some feedback on his blog and then made sure to involve the media on this comments... :wakeup

Jon1798
05-15-2008, 07:55 AM
One thing no one has mentioned is that if it was indeed a delay on them as well as us, we should have shot a ft because they had been whistled for one earlier. I can't remember who, but someone made a shot and then threw the ball, as the players were running down the court, you can hear the whistle being blown.

I know exactly what you are talking about. It was David West, but all he did was throw the ball directly back to the ref. I don't know what the whistle was about, but not a delay of game. I was worried that was what they were calling which would have been ridiculous.

smackdaddy11
05-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Stu Jackson :bang

Once the defensive team places their players in the lane, the offensive team may react. If the D guys move, the O guys can move. Their is no "interpretation" of this rule. It's stone.

More behind the scenes BS from this tard. :ihit