PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Need Victory To Stay Alive

duncan228
05-14-2008, 11:37 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.051508..ffd1f777.html

NBA: Spurs need victory to stay alive
By Jeff McDonald

The Spurs left New Orleans late Tuesday night lost in a fog of varying emotions, none of them particularly positive, all of them easily translatable from Spanish to English.

“You are mad, frustrated, sad,” said Manu Ginobili, the Spurs’ Argentine guard. “Because you let a big one get away.”

Game 5, pivotal Game 5, of the Western Conference semifinal was not particularly kind to the Spurs. Overwhelmed again in the third quarter, they lost 101-79, falling into a 3-2 series deficit and within a loss of elimination.

But if they squinted hard enough as they departed the Big Not-So-Easy, the Spurs could also find a silver lining in the cloud that seems to follow them every time they step into New Orleans Arena these days.

At least they were headed home.

Game 6, crucial Game 6, is tonight at the AT&T Center, where the Spurs have beaten the Hornets twice in this series by a combined 31 points.

The home team, in fact, has handily won every game so far, and for the Spurs this is a theme. Dating to last season, they own a 10-game home winning streak in the postseason.

“We know our fans are going to be behind us,” forward Kurt Thomas said. “We’ve been down before in this series. We have to do what we have to do at home to force a Game 7.”

This is the rub for the Spurs.

Their very best-case scenario involves winning at home tonight just to set up a Game 7 in New Orleans, where they have lost three games by an average of 19.7 points in this series.

Of course, the alternative is not nearly as good. It results in the end of the season.

This represents somewhat unfamiliar terrain for the Spurs, who have faced 10 elimination games since Tim Duncan arrived in 1997. They are 4-6 in those games.

Last year, on the way to a fourth NBA title, the Spurs never flirted with elimination. The last time the Spurs played a game that could have knocked them from the postseason was Game 7 of the 2006 Western Conference semifinals against Dallas, a game the Mavericks won in overtime.

“The bottom line is the better team wins in a seven-game series,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I’ve always said that. Whoever wins this series, it will be because they are the better team.”

The Spurs’ semifinal slugfest with New Orleans has been a series marked by wild momentum swings, with each team squandering chances to knock the other into the ropes.

The Hornets rolled in Games 1 and 2, but couldn’t land a punch in San Antonio. The Spurs romped in Games 3 and 4, but given a chance to step on the Hornets’ throats, flopped in Game 5.

New Orleans forward David West says the wacky home-road splits have been about comfort.

“I think they were a little bit too comfortable (at home),” West said. “We’re dealing with a rhythm team, a team that has been together for a lot of years. We can’t let them get comfortable. In the games here (in New Orleans), they were completely uncomfortable.”

West was a major reason for the Spurs’ discomfort in Game 5, totaling 38 points, 14 rebounds, five blocks and five assists — all playoff career highs.

The Hornets were particularly rude to Spurs point guard Tony Parker, who had twice torched them in San Antonio.

Blitzing hard off the pick-and-rolls, the Hornets tried to get the ball out of Parker’s hands in Game 5 and largely succeeded. That threw a monkey wrench into the Spurs’ ball movement, which had been so good in their two victories in San Antonio.

“It was like a double-team, a hard hedge,” said Parker, who still finished with 18 points. “I’ve got to do a better job of moving the ball, and at the same time stay aggressive.”

That’s just one of the adjustments the Spurs will need to make with Game 6 looming.

It is work they are happy to face head on. Down three games to two, they are left with no other choice.

The Spurs departed New Orleans amid a mix of emotions, none of them good. By the time they landed in San Antonio, they felt something else.

Hope.

“It’s a weird feeling, but we still have a shot,” Ginobili said. “It’s not over, and we’ve got to live up to the challenge.”

dbreiden83080
05-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Just win game 6, that is all that matters right now. The days off in between 6 and 7 will help the older team but they have to take care of business at home first. Spurs can still do this gotta believe.

Princess Pimp
05-14-2008, 11:53 PM
:nope

dbreiden83080
05-14-2008, 11:54 PM
:nope

Ugh :rolleyes

SpursDynasty
05-15-2008, 01:12 AM
We may need a win to stay alive, but the Hornets need a win just as much as we do. And I have to disagree with Pop. He said best teams always win seven game series. I disagree. The Mavs in '06 just made their shots. It's a hit or miss sport. They jacked up a lot of bullshit jumpers that series and they just win it, plain and simple.

Same with NOH. I have no respect for that team. They're not that good. They're just jacking up jumpers and making them. Plain and simple.

TampaDude
05-15-2008, 01:13 AM
We may need a win to stay alive, but the Hornets need a win just as much as we do. And I have to disagree with Pop. He said best teams always win seven game series. I disagree. The Mavs in '06 just made their shots. It's a hit or miss sport. They jacked up a lot of bullshit jumpers that series and they just win it, plain and simple.

Same with NOH. I have no respect for that team. They're not that good. They're just jacking up jumpers and making them. Plain and simple.

Right...the Hornets are just shooting some shots... :lol

SpursDynasty
05-15-2008, 01:15 AM
David West won't score 30+ anymore in the series.

The_Game
05-15-2008, 01:20 AM
He may not have to......

ether
05-15-2008, 01:33 AM

Dude, how delusional are you?

mystargtr34
05-15-2008, 01:43 AM
:lol i laughed when i read the title too... could of thought of something a little better.

ancestron
05-15-2008, 02:03 AM
All the Spurs need to do is make the shots they're supposed to make and they'll be fine.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-15-2008, 02:15 AM
:lol i laughed when i read the title too... could of thought of something a little better.

Poor McDonald, titles like that doesn't help his reputation as a writer...

He'll get better, hopefully...

but that's a really lazy title :lol

SpursDynasty
05-15-2008, 02:16 AM
All the Spurs need to do is make the shots they're supposed to make and they'll be fine.

Exactly.

NOH has made a couple of lucky bullshit shots this series.

Tyler_Durden
05-15-2008, 02:19 AM
Yeah. The Hornets are just making some fluke shots.

J.T.
05-15-2008, 02:39 AM
So basically the Spurs just need to score more baskets than the Hornets two games in a row? Dude, I finally get basketball.

Tyler_Durden
05-15-2008, 02:40 AM
So basically the Spurs just need to score more baskets than the Hornets two games in a row? Dude, I finally get basketball.

Exactly. Stop making everything so complicated and just let go.

LEONARD
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM

damn you're an idiot...