PDA

View Full Version : Honest Assessment

Supergirl
05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
At this point in the playoffs, the fact that only ONE TEAM has won on the road in this round, I have to say that this makes only ONE TEAM look like a championship contender. And that team is the Detroit Pistons.

I hope my Spurs make it out against NO, but to do so they have to win one on the road, and they've had their chances. Not only that, but if you can't win on the road in the playoffs, then you don't really deserve to be champion. If Boston somehow manages to eke through to the championship without EVER winning on the road (which is theoretically possible) then they will be the weakest champion ever. But I don't think they can do this, because Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, L.A., Utah, and New Orleans all look like they are good enough to win one on the road against them, but none of them have.

And that's just pathetic. That's my point. I think it's a pathetic state of affairs for the Spurs, the Hornets, the Jazz, the Lakers, and the Cavs that not one of these teams can win on the road. PATHETIC.

BlackSwordsMan
05-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Pistons v Lakers if spurs lose

2Cleva
05-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Being that Detroit won their game by a single point doesn't put them above the teams surviving based on that.

If anyone oustide of Orlando ranked the Final 8 teams, Orlando would be the unanimous choice of worse team left.

Supergirl
05-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Being that Detroit won their game by a single point doesn't put them above the teams surviving based on that.

If anyone oustide of Orlando ranked the Final 8 teams, Orlando would be the unanimous choice of worse team left.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. But all the teams have had their chances. The Cavs were up by like 16 at halftime. The Spurs have been up at the half in, I believe, all THREE of their losses to NO. Utah beat the Rockets on the road in the first round, and the Rockets play a hell of a lot more D than the Lakers, even without Yao. I see all three of those teams as being BETTER than their opponents, who have HCA, yet they have been unable to close the deal.

2Cleva
05-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Excuses? No, its because the margin of talent and ability is so thin between the teams except for Orlando.

If any of the 7 teams left won the title - would anyone be surprised? No. But they would if Orlando won it all.

But hey, enjoy whatever point you want to make.

JamStone
05-15-2008, 03:28 PM

I think Cleveland is a worse team than Orlando overall.

I actually agree with you to an extent, but that one point victory at Orlando was still a game in which the Pistons had no Chauncey Billups and started a rookie in his place.

I don't put too much stock in Detroit being the only team to win a road game in the second round.

greyforest
05-15-2008, 04:22 PM
because Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, L.A., Utah, and New Orleans all look like they are good enough to win one on the road against them, but none of them have.

And that's just pathetic. That's my point. I think it's a pathetic state of affairs for the Spurs, the Hornets, the Jazz, the Lakers, and the Cavs that not one of these teams can win on the road. PATHETIC.

I think its a pathetic state of the NBA

xtremesteven33
05-15-2008, 04:25 PM
there is no dominant team right now. detroit has totally lost its credibility as a championship contender with 2 year meltdowns. so i would have to say the favorites to be in the finals right now are still the Spurs and Celtics.

nkdlunch
05-15-2008, 04:30 PM
1. Detroit should have lost a home game vs. Magic if not for stupid officals not knowing how to count.
2. Detroit played the Magic, the weakest team of the 2nd round.

Bob Lanier
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
1. Detroit should have lost a home game vs. Magic
Because of something that happened in the third quarter? And not even a foul in the third quarter, but a clock stoppage?

This "should have" completely changed the outcome of another 12 minutes, 20 or 30 possessions?

gmartin02
05-15-2008, 04:48 PM
At this point in the playoffs, the fact that only ONE TEAM has won on the road in this round, I have to say that this makes only ONE TEAM look like a championship contender. And that team is the Detroit Pistons.

I hope my Spurs make it out against NO, but to do so they have to win one on the road, and they've had their chances. Not only that, but if you can't win on the road in the playoffs, then you don't really deserve to be champion. If Boston somehow manages to eke through to the championship without EVER winning on the road (which is theoretically possible) then they will be the weakest champion ever. But I don't think they can do this, because Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, L.A., Utah, and New Orleans all look like they are good enough to win one on the road against them, but none of them have.

Uhhhh, except for the team they won against (Orlando) sucks - all of the remaining West teams would have swept Orlando - If Orlando was playing in the West during the regular season with the tougher schedule, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

JamStone
05-15-2008, 05:03 PM
all of the remaining West teams would have swept Orlando

Probably not if those teams lost their starting point guard and/or best player four minutes into game 3 and didn't have him for games 4 and 5.

florige
05-15-2008, 05:07 PM
there is no dominant team right now. detroit has totally lost its credibility as a championship contender with 2 year meltdowns. so i would have to say the favorites to be in the finals right now are still the Spurs and Celtics.

Yeah but unfortunately one of those teams is tetering on the brink of elimination. It just sucks that it has to be my Spurs..:bang

Supergirl
05-16-2008, 10:27 AM
How quick everyone is to dismiss Orlando now that Detroit has dispatched them, when before the playoffs started they were touted by many writers as a genuine dark horse who could upset any number of teams.

There's no way of proving it, obviously, but I believe if Celtics and Orlando had been paired up, the C's would still be in the position they are in. Their problems are not that Cleveland is that much better than Orlando, their problems are themselves.