PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Reportedly Trying to Pull Off Sign-and-Trade for Josh Smith or Shawn Marion

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-15-2008, 04:40 PM
It sounds as though June, July and August will be busy, too, with rumblings already in circulation about the Mavs hoping they can work their way into the sign-and-trade mix for either Miami's Shawn Marion or Atlanta's Josh Smith. They are likewise bound to be linked in trade speculation to Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal, given O'Neal's successes playing for Carlisle and amid a growing anticipation in Dallas that swingman Josh Howard (after last month's marijuana monologues) and former Carlisle go-to guy Jerry Stackhouse (who only has one year and $2 million guarantee for 2009-10 left on his contract) will be offered in various trade scenarios.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=carlisleintro-080515

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 04:44 PM
The thought of Josh Smith on the Mavs makes me go from six to midnight. Hot crap that would be awesome.

Getting Marion for Howard is alot like trading the mumps for the measles, but at least Marion will play some defense.

Kill me with death if Jermaine O'Neal comes here.

Bob Lanier
05-15-2008, 04:51 PM
:lmao at the thought of anyone wanting Jermaine O'Neal.

Particularly Dallas. Mr. Forehead's softer than Dirk and Damp combined.

stretch
05-15-2008, 04:59 PM
The thought of Josh Smith on the Mavs makes me go from six to midnight. Hot crap that would be awesome.

Getting Marion for Howard is alot like trading the mumps for the measles, but at least Marion will play some defense.

Kill me with death if Jermaine O'Neal comes here.

??

I'll definitely take Marion if it gets rid of Howard and Stack, unless Howard is truly committed to playing at the level he is capable of, as he says he is.

Marion always hustles which is something this team lacks majorly. his athleticism to go with Kidd would be quite fucking nice as well.

I really wouldn't mind O'Neal either.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2008, 05:02 PM
what about Devean George's bird rights??

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 05:04 PM
??

I'll definitely take Marion if it gets rid of Howard and Stack, unless Howard is truly committed to playing at the level he is capable of, as he says he is.

Marion always hustles which is something this team lacks majorly. his athleticism to go with Kidd would be quite fucking nice as well.

I really wouldn't mind O'Neal either.

Marion would be nice, but his attitude is equally as shitty as Howard's. He's also just as prone to playoff tankjobs. He's an upgrade, but not a real significant one.

I'd rather have AIDS than Jermaine O'Neal on the Mavericks. A supposed post player who shoots at a worse FG% than most guards? Who only plays about 20 games a year fully healthy? No freakin thanks. Our salary cap figure is already pretty fucked as it is, let's not completely deep-six any chance of rebuilding should The Rick Carlisle Project fail.

Findog
05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Marion doesn't excite me all that much in exchange for Wooderson. They're basically the same player, except Marion does everything Josh does about 2% better.

Findog
05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Oh, and he makes twice as much money as Josh, so you'd have to throw in another contract. If we could push Stackhouse off on them and get Ricky Davis, I might do that deal.

Allanon
05-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Marion is a million times better than JHo, and that must mean JHo sucks bad. He's been easily one of the worst players this year compared to last year's performance. It's rare to see a good player go so bad so quickly.

Stackhouse earned Brickhouse after these last Playoffs, I can't believe Cuban spent that much money to keep him in GeorgeGate. Speaking of Devean George, every time Cuban sees him, he sees $10 million flushed down the toilet.

This is huge summer of change for the Mavs, I don't think anybody's gonna recognize that team next year.

GuerillaBlack
05-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Don't think Atlanta would give up Josh Smith for Josh Howard. Add to that, Josh Smith has a big fanbase in Atlanta (born and raised less than 10 miles from the Phillips Arena in Downtown Atlanta).

Findog
05-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Atlanta has so many swingmen, Josh Howard doesn't fill a need for them. Maybe we could get Marvin Williams from them though.

Findog
05-15-2008, 07:15 PM
what about Devean George's bird rights??

The exact reason why Cuban and the Mavs were so shortsighted to demand he accept that trade and renounce those rights. They can use him as salary filler in a s + t this summer.

endrity
05-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Marion is a million times better than JHo, and that must mean JHo sucks bad. He's been easily one of the worst players this year compared to last year's performance. It's rare to see a good player go so bad so quickly.

Stackhouse earned Brickhouse after these last Playoffs, I can't believe Cuban spent that much money to keep him in GeorgeGate. Speaking of Devean George, every time Cuban sees him, he sees $10 million flushed down the toilet.

This is huge summer of change for the Mavs, I don't think anybody's gonna recognize that team next year.

That was certainly the case down the stretch this year, but there was a point last year and at the beggining of this year when Howard was a more skilled version of Marion. I still think he has a better all around game, but both have issues in their head.

At this point though:
Josh Smith >>>>>>>>> Howard/Marion; therefore I would be crazy happy if Smith is a Mav next season.

endrity
05-15-2008, 08:10 PM
The exact reason why Cuban and the Mavs were so shortsighted to demand he accept that trade and renounce those rights. They can use him as salary filler in a s + t this summer.

It's kind of funny, but that's pretty much the biggest assest, the MLE aside, that we have for this summer.

ShoogarBear
05-15-2008, 09:21 PM
What the foc does Dallas have that Atlanta could possibly want for Josh Smith?

StylisticS
05-15-2008, 10:14 PM
What the foc does Dallas have that Atlanta could possibly want for Josh Smith?

Nothing, really.

confined
05-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Dampier:lobt2:

TDMVPDPOY
05-15-2008, 11:39 PM
jermaine at 7-8m sounds like a fair deal to me, if you only need a guy to play defense only,

spurs paid that for rasho and thats all he did.....

ducks
05-16-2008, 12:13 AM
marion gets owned by the spurs
why would he want to go to dallas?

mystargtr34
05-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Why the fuck is everyone so negative about getting Jermaine O'Neal.

Jermaine would be a good fit given his ridiculously low value as of right now. Hes not gonna be a 40 minute a night guy anymore, and especially with the way Kidd likes to run, he would probly be playing about 30 minutes a night.

Mavs biggest needs

1) Interior Defense ---- Check
2) Inside scoring ----- Check

Oneal is one of the best interior defenders in the league, and HAD a devestating post game when hes not taking 15 foot fade away jumpers. Its fair to say he wont reach that 'devestating' best again but if i was the Mavs this is the first guy i would be looking at.

You complain about losing Diop, this guy is a better interior defender than Diop, he can run the floor better, stays out of foul trouble.. and guess what... he gives u a post game... something Mavs have been missing since 1745.

Honestly i think theres 0 chance the Mavs get Josh Smith.... but Shawn Marion would be a great fit with Jason Kidd, but they would have to give up J-Ho to do that deal, who to be faur has been terrible since J-Kidd came to town, but im still giving him the Benefit of the Doubt.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Hey maybe the Mavs could trade Jason Kidd and JJ Barea to the Hornets for Chris Paul, or they could trade Dirk's toenail clippings to get Wilt in his prime.

stretch
05-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Why the fuck is everyone so negative about getting Jermaine O'Neal.

Jermaine would be a good fit given his ridiculously low value as of right now. Hes not gonna be a 40 minute a night guy anymore, and especially with the way Kidd likes to run, he would probly be playing about 30 minutes a night.

Mavs biggest needs

1) Interior Defense ---- Check
2) Inside scoring ----- Check

Oneal is one of the best interior defenders in the league, and HAD a devestating post game when hes not taking 15 foot fade away jumpers. Its fair to say he wont reach that 'devestating' best again but if i was the Mavs this is the first guy i would be looking at.

You complain about losing Diop, this guy is a better interior defender than Diop, he can run the floor better, stays out of foul trouble.. and guess what... he gives u a post game... something Mavs have been missing since 1745.

Honestly i think theres 0 chance the Mavs get Josh Smith.... but Shawn Marion would be a great fit with Jason Kidd, but they would have to give up J-Ho to do that deal, who to be faur has been terrible since J-Kidd came to town, but im still giving him the Benefit of the Doubt.

I definitely agree with that assesment.

I strongly doubt that Smith would be coming here. Marion and O'Neal are far more reasonable.

IMO Marion would be perfect to have here though. From my understanding, his contract expires next year too. So we would be getting someone that is one of the best hustle players in the leage, one of the most athletic players in NBA history, runs the floor as well as anyone, plays very good defense, and is capable of scoring points and hitting his open threes. Great team player. He doesn't need the ball to be effective thus leaving the ball mainly in Dirk and Kidd's hands. He is a PERFECT #3 guy for our team. His attitude may have been wack in Phoenix, but perhaps a scenery change is what he needed. And I guarantee he will be a very loved Dallas Maverick, appreciated much more so than he was in Phoenix, which I think will help his morale (at least it should if what that book :07 Secords or Less is correct). Then we just gotta find a bench shooter/scorer, resign Diop to back up Damp, and we will be good.

monosylab1k
05-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Take a look at Jermaine O'Neal's shooting percentage and get back to me on how effective a "post player" he is. Dirk can post up better than him at this point.

monosylab1k
05-16-2008, 08:47 AM
This team misses the playoffs next year if Jermaine O'Neal comes to town.

stretch
05-16-2008, 08:49 AM
true, his percentages havent been great the past couple years. but its going to be far different, not being the #1 option like he had been. Now he will have Jason Kidd and Dirk Nowitzki to feed off of, and will not have to create a lot of offense. he will be required to do more of the dirty work. i think he would be a nice fit with the Mavericks.

monosylab1k
05-16-2008, 08:50 AM
i think he would be a nice fit with the Mavericks for the 25 games he's healthy enough to play.

fixed

stretch
05-16-2008, 08:56 AM
lol yea there is truth to that as well. thats why i think Marion would be the best fit for this team.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 09:17 AM
i think he would put up nice numbers with the Mavericks for the 25 games he's healthy enough to play. Of course their record would hover around .500 during that time until he starts to complain about his touches.
fixed again

stretch
05-16-2008, 09:20 AM
I like having loads blown in my mouth

Fixed.

Indazone
05-16-2008, 10:03 AM
lmao..but seriously why would the Hawks do this? Smith could be their franchise player.

stretch
05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
lmao..but seriously why would the Hawks do this? Smith could be their franchise player.

They won't do it. No way in hell.

jack sommerset
05-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Nice trade for Mavericks-Marion or Smith.I can't imagine the Heat wanting him, they saw first hand in the championship how he chokes. Atlanta might be a good fit.

Howards stock has gone down without question.

lurker
05-16-2008, 11:41 AM
The last thing the Mavs need is another playoff choker. Stay far away from Shawn.

SpursFanFirst
05-16-2008, 11:46 AM
:lmao Jermaine O'Neal potentially to the Mavs!!! Seriously, I can't stop laughing...and smiling. Please, please, please make this happen. The Pacers need all the help they can get!