PDA

View Full Version : Teen alleging rape turns to YouTube

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 05:10 PM
By Ashley Fantz
CNN

(CNN) -- The video is hard to turn away from. A sobbing 16-year-old sits in her bedroom and, staring into a camera, says she has been raped.

"Hi, my name is Crystal. ... I need some help. I didn't want to do it this way, but it's the only way I know that's going to work, that someone out there in the world is gonna listen to me."

The teen, whom CNN interviewed but is not identifying by her last name, is among dozens of young people who are turning to social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace to talk about sexual assault.

For an online generation, the Web offers what traditional counseling does not. It's a chance to communicate without having to face someone or fear their judgment. Some people are seeking legal advice and medical information, and many younger victims believe that they can warn others about their accused attacker, counselors say.

There also are people like Crystal, whose case was dropped by the Orange County, Florida, state attorney's office, who feel slighted by the justice system.

"Young victims, particularly girls, turn inward. They are going to reach out and try to connect in the isolation of their dorm room or their bedrooms," said Jennifer Dritt, the director of the Florida Council Against Sexual Violence (http://www.fcasv.org/). "Most young women feel like they want somebody to know that someone did this to them."

One in four American women under the age of 25 report that they have been sexually assaulted, according to the nation's largest rape crisis counseling organization, RAINN, the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network.

"We noticed that this trend of posting details of an attack really picked up speed a few years ago," said Scott Berkowitz, RAINN (http://www.rainn.org/)'s founder and president. "A rape survivor's intention may be to reach out, and we encourage that, but this is a dangerous way to do it."

Advocates worry that victims are divulging too much information. CNN found several Facebook (http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/facebook_inc) and MySpace (http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/myspace_inc) profiles on which young people say they have been raped. The postings include their names, photographs and hometowns. But Crystal is probably one of the few who have gone so far as to post a plea for help on YouTube.

Because anything posted on the Web is available forever through an Internet search, a rape survivor must consider how they would feel if that information were dredged up in the future, counselors said. By making themselves -- or their IP address -- available, victims open themselves to unreliable and unprofessional advice and the harsh judgment of their peers.

Perhaps worst of all, they could give their perpetrator a chance to find them again or gain more satisfaction.

In April, RAINN teamed with online security company McAfee Inc. and launched an anonymous and secure chat service where assault survivors can communicate with trained professionals. IP addresses are not tracked and transcripts of conversations -- which look like instant message boxes -- are not recorded. The service has helped more than 10,000 people, Berkowitz said. Go to RAINN's Web hotline (http://apps.rainn.org/ohl-bridge/)

But counselors said survivors are going to look wherever they can to find help and comfort, particularly when they don't get it through the court system.

Fewer than 5 percent of reported cases in Florida make it to a prosecutor's office, Dritt said. Whether because of lack of forensic evidence or because many are he said/she said accounts, rape cases can be very difficult to try.

"What you hear from every rape crisis center from Pensacola to Key West is that there are hardly ever any prosecutions," she said. "Most sexual violence is acquaintance rape, and unfortunately, a lot of juries still think that if a victim had a relationship with their attacker, then they cannot be raped by that person."

Stacy, 25, worried about that when she was raped by a man she knew as a friend in 2001 while attending Ohio State University. Although she has spoken publicly numerous times about her experience, CNN is not using her last name in keeping with its policy of not identifying sexual assault victims.

As is typical of younger survivors, Stacy spent the days and weeks after her assault struggling to assure her friends and family that she was OK. She reported the assault to university authorities, but her attacker continued to go to class. She grew increasingly depressed and anxious. Her grades plummeted, and she gained weight.

"I thought that people who had never been assaulted would never understand. I thought I had no one to talk to, but then I realized, I had the Internet," she said. "Sometimes, talking to people who were not close to me was refreshing because there was no judgment to face. If you talk to someone online, there's no judgment, right? How can they judge you when they don't even know you?"

She began instant messaging in chat rooms but quickly realized that many people who initially seemed sympathetic were only pretending.

"The next thing you know, they are making it seem like they are turned on. They were asking me for details of my rape. It was very disturbing," she said. "I had to block several people. After that, I thought the worst of the world. I thought everyone was a perpetrator, and I trusted no one."

After years of face-to-face therapy, Stacy began to heal and feel more confident. She partly credits RAINN, which she found via an Internet search, for helping her recover. Other female students came forward to say they, too, had been assaulted by her attacker. He was expelled from the university and pleaded guilty to a lesser charge -- sexual imposition, a misdemeanor -- and was placed on probation.

Stacy watched Crystal's video.

"That's just heartbreaking," she said. "I feel really sad for her because no one seems to have explained that the justice system isn't always going to help. I understand why she's outraged. That's exactly how I felt, too."

Orange County authorities charged the 23-year-old man Crystal accused of assaulting her with lewd or lascivious battery. According to court documents, Crystal and the man both said they had an ongoing sexual relationship.

The prosecutor, who declined to comment to CNN, concluded that the teen and the 23-year-old had consensual sex, according to the case file.

Florida law states that a 15-year-old cannot give consent to sex. And though Crystal was 15 at the time of the alleged forced encounter, the prosecutor wrote that the case would not be prosecuted because Crystal was "a mere 1 month away" from turning 16, when it would be "legal to give consent," according to documents.

A spokeswoman for the Orange County state attorney's office declined to comment further.

Stacy had some advice for Crystal: Get counseling and keep talking.
"You're not always going to get what you want from the court system," she said. "So you've got to think about yourself, figure out who you are and realize that you're stronger than what he did to you."

mfg3w11_A_E

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 05:11 PM
attention whore

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 05:15 PM
what do you guys think?

On one hand, I can't help but feel sympathetic with her. It makes me angry to think a 23 year old dirt bag can do something like this, and get away with it.

On the other, I don't know why, but her plea for help seems... like a performance. That and the fact she posted the video in youtube... I can't help but feel like she might be doing this for attention.

What do you guys think?

CuckingFunt
05-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Orange County authorities charged the 23-year-old man Crystal accused of assaulting her with lewd or lascivious battery. According to court documents, Crystal and the man both said they had an ongoing sexual relationship.

The prosecutor, who declined to comment to CNN, concluded that the teen and the 23-year-old had consensual sex, according to the case file.

Florida law states that a 15-year-old cannot give consent to sex. And though Crystal was 15 at the time of the alleged forced encounter, the prosecutor wrote that the case would not be prosecuted because Crystal was "a mere 1 month away" from turning 16, when it would be "legal to give consent," according to documents.

:pctoss

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 05:16 PM
it's pretty sick that she'll use rape to become a Youtube celebrity.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2008, 05:23 PM

FUCK, that was gonna be my way of becoming an internet celebrity

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2008, 05:24 PM

He must have dumped her.

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 05:25 PM
so she supposedly gets "raped" at 15 and 11 months....THEN has an ongoing consensual relationship with the guy.....and now after the fact she wants to accuse him of rape?

tough tits. next time don't be such a whore.

monosylab1k
FUCK, that was gonna be my way of becoming an internet celebrity

:lol

MaNuMaNiAc
Its hard to make up one's mind about the whole thing without really knowing all the details. Rape seems too horrible a crime to let the guilty fucker go, but I'm also not naive enough to think there isn't a possibility this girl is just looking for attention, in which case, ruining a mans life because of an evil little brat seems just as bad as the latter.

My girlfriend doesn't seem to have this problem though. According to her, they should fry his ass. I don't understand why she immediately decides that this girl is telling the truth, specially since she knows just as little as me about the whole thing, and yet, according to her, she wouldn't have trouble executing him herself :wow

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 05:26 PM
If the site was bigger back then, Kobe's accuser would have been showing off her multi-semen panties on YouTube.

midgetonadonkey
05-15-2008, 05:27 PM
attention whore

i lol'd

CuckingFunt
05-15-2008, 05:28 PM
so she supposedly gets "raped" at 15 and 11 months....THEN has an ongoing consensual relationship with the guy.....and now after the fact she wants to accuse him of rape?

Where does it say that the consensual sexual relations happened after the rape? Is it your assumption that once a girl enters a sexual relationship with someone, it entitles him to get some whenever he wants?

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 05:31 PM

what the fuck? are you joking? since when does having a consensual sexual relationship make a woman a whore?? and since when does it give the man the right to rape her? you can't be serious

jman3000
05-15-2008, 05:32 PM
a friend of mine knocked up a 17 year old while he was 20 when he lived in florida.

he was shitting bricks because he thought he would get jail time. that's seems awfully young to be able to give consent... isn't it 17 or 18 in texas?

CuckingFunt
05-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Its hard to make up one's mind about the whole thing without really knowing all the details. Rape seems too horrible a crime to let the guilty fucker go, but I'm also not naive enough to think there isn't a possibility this girl is just looking for attention, in which case, ruining a mans life because of an evil little brat seems just as bad as the latter.

My girlfriend doesn't seem to have this problem though. According to her, they should fry his ass. I don't understand why she immediately decides that this girl is telling the truth, specially since she knows just as little as me about the whole thing, and yet, according to her, she wouldn't have trouble executing him herself :wow

The whole notion of crying rape to ruin a man's life doesn't happen anywhere near as much as people seem to think it does.

That's not to say that it NEVER happens, of course, as I'm sure there are plenty of women out there who would be low enough to go there. But, even in 2008, the legal side really doesn't favor the accuser most of the time. It's a hell of a lot of paperwork/procedure, usually fruitless, to go through unless there's a legitimate concern.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Where does it say that the consensual sexual relations happened after the rape? Is it your assumption that once a girl enters a sexual relationship with someone, it entitles him to get some whenever he wants?

It makes it harder to prove rape, so while it doesn't entitle him it makes it a lot easier to get away with

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 05:38 PM
The whole notion of crying rape to ruin a man's life doesn't happen anywhere near as much as people seem to think it does.

That's not to say that it NEVER happens, of course, as I'm sure there are plenty of women out there who would be low enough to go there. But, even in 2008, the legal side really doesn't favor the accuser most of the time. It's a hell of a lot of paperwork/procedure, usually fruitless, to go through unless there's a legitimate concern.

but it does happen, in which case, I don't understand people's hurry to try, convict, and execute the guy. Public opinion is a very powerful thing, and while I understand why people tend to always side with the victim, all I'm saying is sometimes it can be hard to ascertain who the victim is.

Its disconcerting how one girls accusation is enough to convict a man in the court of public opinion. Its downright frightening. Of course, if you're a 23 year old messing around with a 15 year old, you're just asking for it really. What the fuck was the dude thinking?

CuckingFunt
05-15-2008, 05:46 PM
It makes it harder to prove rape, so while it doesn't entitle him it makes it a lot easier to get away with

It only makes it harder to prove rape because the legal system is currently set up in such a way that tends to favor the accused and blame the victim.

Questions about what the girl was wearing, whether she was sexually active, whether she'd previously had consensual sex with the accused, whether she was drinking, whether she was walking down a dark alley, etc., should never even have to be asked, because it suggests that sexual assault is more justified/understandable in certain situations.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2008, 05:48 PM
bitch's video only has a rating of 2 stars, that's pretty bad

CuckingFunt
05-15-2008, 05:50 PM
but it does happen, in which case, I don't understand people's hurry to try, convict, and execute the guy. Public opinion is a very powerful thing, and while I understand why people tend to always side with the victim, all I'm saying is sometimes it can be hard to ascertain who the victim is.

People usually don't side with the victim in rape/assault cases. Not completely, at least. Even a lot of the bleeding heart feminist responses often contain a little footnote that the victim made a decision or did something that she should have made and/or done.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2008, 05:54 PM
It only makes it harder to prove rape because the legal system is currently set up in such a way that tends to favor the accused and blame the victim.

Questions about what the girl was wearing, whether she was sexually active, whether she'd previously had consensual sex with the accused, whether she was drinking, whether she was walking down a dark alley, etc., should never even have to be asked, because it suggests that sexual assault is more justified/understandable in certain situations.

:lol yeah just handcuff the accused and give him no defense, all those examples you threw out, minus the dark alley, would indicate a situation that there is plausible consent.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I also like the name dropping she did for the reporters.

CuckingFunt
05-15-2008, 06:01 PM
:lol yeah just handcuff the accused and give him no defense, all those examples you threw out, minus the dark alley, would indicate a situation that there is plausible consent.

So, then, if a girl has been sexually active in the past, it means that she's probably going to say yes every single other time she's propositioned? Seriously?

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 06:05 PM

The legal system you're talking about is not just currently set up that way, its based upon it. "Innocent until proven guilty" is the bases of the American justice system. Which is better? to put an innocent behind bars or to let a guilty person go? That's what it boils down to.

I see, so what, IYO, should be asked in order to determine whether or not there was consent?

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2008, 06:08 PM
So, then, if a girl has been sexually active in the past, it means that she's probably going to say yes every single other time she's propositioned? Seriously?

Nope, but that won't stop the jury from drawing that conclusion. Her past misdeeds shouldn't be excluded, it goes to credibility. `

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 06:11 PM

so what exactly do you propose the questions be? Should we just rely on the accusers' story and convict based on that? Let me ask you something, does not being drunk cause one to make errors in judgment? Could it be possible that a woman got drunk enough to consent to sex, and then regret it?

Those questions you are dismissing go to determine the credibility of the accuser. Credibility, in cases like this, is everything. Unless evidence eliminates the need to rely on the accusers' story, attacking her credibility is the only real method of determining guilt, I think. This is unfortunate, because of the added stress and pain it brings to the legitimate victims out there, but it is nevertheless necessary.

I would also like to add that those questions you're referring to are just as valid as say whether or not the accused has a history of violence, etc. Credibility is key here.

CuckingFunt
05-15-2008, 06:29 PM
The legal system you're talking about is not just currently set up that way, its based upon it. "Innocent until proven guilty" is the bases of the American justice system. Which is better? to put an innocent behind bars or to let a guilty person go? That's what it boils down to.

Surely there must be some sort of middle ground between prematurely convicting the accused in the court of public opinion, and blaming the victim by suggesting that she (or he, since that happens, too) acted in a way that she shouldn't have.

I'm a HUGE believer that everyone is/should be innocent until proven guilty, and you'll notice that I haven't mentioned anything about his guilt/her innocence in this particular case, but to suggest that assuming the victim did something wrong is the only other possible option is just asinine.

I see, so what, IYO, should be asked in order to determine whether or not there was consent?

The people investigating the matter should determine whether or not she said yes, and whether or not she was capable of freely making an informed decision at the time -- not drunk/drugged/passed out, being coerced, or having threats made against herself or her family.

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2008, 06:35 PM
The people investigating the matter should determine whether or not she said yes, and whether or not she was capable of freely making an informed decision at the time -- not drunk/drugged/passed out, being coerced, or having threats made against herself or her family.

i'll play the role of the accused
Cop: Did she say no
Me: From what i remember and what fellow party goers said she was all over me
Cop: Was she drunk
Me: I don't know i personally passed out next thing i know i wake up feeling dirty near my personal area and i couldn't piss right, you don't think she took advantage of me while i was passed out do you?

CuckingFunt
05-15-2008, 06:39 PM
so what exactly do you propose the questions be? Should we just rely on the accusers' story and convict based on that? Let me ask you something, does not being drunk cause one to make errors in judgment? Could it be possible that a woman got drunk enough to consent to sex, and then regret it?

Yes. That is possible. And it would still be rape/sexual assault. If someone is legitimately drunk enough to impair their judgment, anyone who continues with a sexual act is clearly taking advantage of that situation and should know better. In fact, in California, the law is clearly written that if a "yes" is given by someone who is impaired and/or under the influence, it doesn't count as consent.

It's not always followed that way, but that is how the consent laws are written.

Those questions you are dismissing go to determine the credibility of the accuser. Credibility, in cases like this, is everything. Unless evidence eliminates the need to rely on the accusers' story, attacking her credibility is the only real method of determining guilt, I think. This is unfortunate, because of the added stress and pain it brings to the legitimate victims out there, but it is nevertheless necessary.

I would also like to add that those questions you're referring to are just as valid as say whether or not the accused has a history of violence, etc. Credibility is key here.

Nope, but that won't stop the jury from drawing that conclusion. Her past misdeeds shouldn't be excluded, it goes to credibility.

The problem with establishing victim credibility in these cases, as I mentioned previously, is that it implies there are certain situations in which rape/assault are justified. If we're talking about someone with a verifiable history of filing false claims or lying in legal situations, then that should be considered. But actions, style of dress, partying, drinking, even working as a prostitute, do NOT make rape any more understandable or okay. Ever.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Surely there must be some sort of middle ground between prematurely convicting the accused in the court of public opinion, and blaming the victim by suggesting that she (or he, since that happens, too) acted in a way that she shouldn't have.

I'm a HUGE believer that everyone is/should be innocent until proven guilty, and you'll notice that I haven't mentioned anything about his guilt/her innocence in this particular case, but to suggest that assuming the victim did something wrong is the only other possible option is just asinine.

I'm not suggesting that we need to assume the victim did something wrong, I'm suggesting we need to assume that the victim could very well not be a victim at all. I think we all would do well to think of the people involved in cases like this as accuser and accused, not victim and perpetrator. Victim implies that it has already been determined that a crime was commited.

That is exactly what those questions are designed to determine. You don't think her being drunk prevents her from being capable of making an informed decision? By the way, sex is rarely about making an informed decision. More often than not, sexual impulse determines consent, whether informed or not.

How do you propose the people investigating the matter determine whether or not she said yes? If you don't support determining credibility, what other method do you propose?

Kori Ellis
05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
One in four American women under the age of 25 report that they have been sexually assaulted, according to the nation's largest rape crisis counseling organization, RAINN, the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network.

1 in 4? Please. What are they deeming sexual assault? I don't think that stat is anywhere close to true. 1 in 40 might even be exaggerating it.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 07:03 PM
The problem with establishing victim credibility in these cases, as I mentioned previously, is that it implies there are certain situations in which rape/assault are justified. If we're talking about someone with a verifiable history of filing false claims or lying in legal situations, then that should be considered. But actions, style of dress, partying, drinking, even working as a prostitute, do NOT make rape any more understandable or okay. Ever.

That's not the issue here. I don't see it implying rape is justified. I see it implying there was no rape at all. Now if you're a victim of veritable rape, I imagine you would take it to mean exactly how you've characterized it, but if you're the accused its a whole different story now, isn't it?

How do you determine whether it was rape or not? You question credibility... and just as a verifiable history of filing false claims serves to question that credibility, so does a history of consensual sex with the accuse serve to paint a broader picture of the situation.

Just to clear something up, I would never, EVER say or imply that rape is justifiable. However, I don't think trying to determine the situation and the circumstances by asking what I think are very relevant questions is justifying rape. For example, determining what the accuser was wearing that night doesn't mean that IF she got raped, what she was wearing made it justifiable, it just serves to provide a reasonable analysis of a situation in where consent could very well have been possible... If a girl dresses in skimpy outfits to garner male attention, chances are she COULD have been looking to have sexual intercourse. This "reasonable doubt" about the nature of the intercourse is relevant I think.

CuckingFunt
05-15-2008, 07:05 PM
I think we all would do well to think of the people involved in cases like this as accuser and accused, not victim and perpetrator. Victim implies that it has already been determined that a crime was commited.

This much I agree with, actually, as I've never been a big fan of the "victim" term in general.

That is exactly what those questions are designed to determine. You don't think her being drunk prevents her from being capable of making an informed decision? By the way, sex is rarely about making an informed decision. More often than not, sexual impulse determines consent, whether informed or not.

I absolutely think that someone being drunk impairs their ability to make an informed decision. However, I think that far too often the question is asked less as a way of determining whether or not the accused took advantage of someone in an impaired state, and more as a way of determining whether or not the accuser was acting in a way that may have been "asking for it."

As for the suggestion that sexual impulse determines consent... that's easy for a man to say. Unlike men, we don't have to be turned on in order to have sex, and there are plenty of guys who wouldn't be slowed by a lack of physical response if they've got a drunk/passed out girl sprawled out in front of them.

How do you propose the people investigating the matter determine whether or not she said yes? If you don't support determining credibility, what other method do you propose?

Look at physical evidence, if there is any. Investigate any witnesses that may have been available. Have the girl talk to a psychiatrist/counselor that can give an opinion as to whether or not the concern is genuine. I think that all legal channels should be thoroughly explored, I just don't think that the burden should be on the accuser to prove that he/she wasn't acting in a way that would have invited the rape/assault. I don't think that "way" exists.

CuckingFunt
05-15-2008, 07:20 PM
That's not the issue here. I don't see it implying rape is justified. I see it implying there was no rape at all. Now if you're a victim of veritable rape, I imagine you would take it to mean exactly how you've characterized it, but if you're the accused its a whole different story now, isn't it?

How do you determine whether it was rape or not? You question credibility... and just as a verifiable history of filing false claims serves to question that credibility, so does a history of consensual sex with the accuse serve to paint a broader picture of the situation.

Just to clear something up, I would never, EVER say or imply that rape is justifiable. However, I don't think trying to determine the situation and the circumstances by asking what I think are very relevant questions is justifying rape. For example, determining what the accuser was wearing that night doesn't mean that IF she got raped, what she was wearing made it justifiable, it just serves to provide a reasonable analysis of a situation in where consent could very well have been possible... If a girl dresses in skimpy outfits to garner male attention, chances are she COULD have been looking to have sexual intercourse. This "reasonable doubt" about the nature of the intercourse is relevant I think.

Whether you call it justifying rape/assault, or you call it determining whether or not rape/assault was committed, you're still suggesting a procedure that relies on the accuser's behavior to make that determination. That's what I have a problem with.

If someone is murdered, it's very seldom that we start asking whether or not they were acting/dressing in a way that may have made their killing more plausible.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 07:33 PM
I absolutely think that someone being drunk impairs their ability to make an informed decision. However, I think that far too often the question is asked less as a way of determining whether or not the accused took advantage of someone in an impaired state, and more as a way of determining whether or not the accuser was acting in a way that may have been "asking for it."

Depends on how you characterize "impaired state". A drunk woman is quite capable to having consensual sex. Whether the alcohol in her system is responsible for that misguided consent is a different issue. How is the accused supposed to determine exactly at what point the inebriated person has ceased having control over his/hers ability to make decisions?

Also, let me ask you another question, suppose a man and a woman begin having consensual sexual intercourse, and one of them passes out due to inebriation, is the other person effectively raping him/her if he doesn't immediately stop? Its quite a dilemma, having to ascertain consent, evidence present or not. Now before people here start jumping down my throat, I do believe, if effectively proven, that having sexual intercourse with an unconcious person without clear consent is verifiable rape. I'm not contesting this. I'm just trying to say its not an easy thing to prove, hence why the question of credibility is so prevalent in cases of this nature.

As for the suggestion that sexual impulse determines consent... that's easy for a man to say. Unlike men, we don't have to be turned on in order to have sex, and there are plenty of guys who wouldn't be slowed by a lack of physical response if they've got a drunk/passed out girl sprawled out in front of them.

What I meant to say is, IMO (keep in my I'm not expert) sexual consent is usually more to do with lust than reason. It might be that this is more true with men than it is with women, but let me tell you, I know quite a few women who have let their lust do their thinking when it came to sex.

Look at physical evidence, if there is any. Investigate any witnesses that may have been available. Have the girl talk to a psychiatrist/counselor that can give an opinion as to whether or not the concern is genuine. I think that all legal channels should be thoroughly explored, I just don't think that the burden should be on the accuser to prove that he/she wasn't acting in a way that would have invited the rape/assault. I don't think that "way" exists.

Again, I agree to some extent. First of all, this whole scenario we've been discussing is reliant on the premise that evidence is NOT sufficient to prove guilt, otherwise credibility is a moot point. I agree that there are other things to take into account in cases like this. I don't agree, however, that the accuser's burden here is to prove that she was responsible for her rape. I think her burden is to prove that she was raped in the first place. In order to prove this she has to prove she did NOT give consent. This is done by examining the circumstances around the alleged incident, which includes elements of the situation that could prove useful in determining what both the accuser AND the accused were thinking at that precise moment. The questions you've brought up are relevant in that context I think.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Whether you call it justifying rape/assault, or you call it determining whether or not rape/assault was committed, you're still suggesting a procedure that relies on the accuser's behavior to make that determination. That's what I have a problem with.

Well, since we are trying to determine whether or not she gave consent, which has a lot to do with her frame of mind, I don't see why taking into account her actions is wrong.

If someone is murdered, it's very seldom that we start asking whether or not they were acting/dressing in a way that may have made their killing more plausible.

Not entirely accurate. If a person was acting in a way that would give the accused a reason to believe he/she was a threat to his/her life, the killing now seems quite a bit more plausible, doesn't it. Either way, it does not apply to the scenario we're discussing here IMO.

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Is it your assumption that once a girl enters a sexual relationship with someone, it entitles him to get some whenever he wants?

No, but a prosecutor apparently agrees with my view since he's not getting charged with rape and she's stuck attention whoring on Youtube.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 07:45 PM
No, but a prosecutor apparently agrees with my view since he's not getting charged with rape and she's stuck attention whoring on Youtube.

Yeah, because we all know how infallible those prosecutors can be...

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Let's also not forget that she's a 16 year old girl. 16 year old girls are the most mentally unstable beings on earth.

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, because we all know how infallible those prosecutors can be...

Maybe they can get on YouTube and make a response video to hers.

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I might have taken her video more seriously if she gave her message as lyrics for a Chocolate Rain parody.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 07:53 PM
I might have taken her video more seriously if she gave her message as lyrics for a Chocolate Rain parody.

you seem to be exhibiting quite the opposite of what I was referring to in the opening post... Why is it you immediately assume she's lying? you seem quite convinced of that fact, when in reality you know very little about the case.

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 07:56 PM
you seem to be exhibiting quite the opposite of what I was referring to in the opening post... Why is it you immediately assume she's lying? you seem quite convinced of that fact, when in reality you know very little about the case.

No I'm just saying if she's putting a video on YouTube, it's better received with a humorous spin. Flip that frown upside down, girl!

monosylab1k
05-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Seriously though, I'm not trying to be insensitive to rape. If there was a way to pass a law that rapists be castrated, I'd support it 100%. Rape is despicable.

But posting a video on YouTube thinking it's your "last resort" and claiming that you've done everything you can because you contacted Nancy Grace is just stupid.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 08:01 PM
No I'm just saying if she's putting a video on YouTube, it's better received with a humorous spin. Flip that frown upside down, girl!

Ever consider that she may be telling the truth? that she may feel that this is her only chance at getting justice? Public opinion is certainly powerful enough to force the hand of a state prosecutor. Specially after the national media picked up the story precisely because she went on youtube. If she is telling the truth, I think she did a very smart and brave thing, and I commend her for it. Will you not consider that she could, in fact, be telling the truth?

CuckingFunt
05-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Well, since we are trying to determine whether or not she gave consent, which has a lot to do with her frame of mind, I don't see why taking into account her actions is wrong.

Again, that assumes that someone's state of mind could be ascertained by something as simple as their style of dress. It also assumes that someone's state of mind may not change over the course of an evening.

Not entirely accurate. If a person was acting in a way that would give the accused a reason to believe he/she was a threat to his/her life, the killing now seems quite a bit more plausible, doesn't it. Either way, it does not apply to the scenario we're discussing here IMO.

That's why I specifically said "murder," which is usually defined as an unlwfull killing as an act of malice and, therefore, rules out cases of self defense.

And my analogy is absolutely valid. How many other violent crimes can you think of in which the accuser has to jump through so many hoops to prove that a crime was even committed? For that matter, how many other violent crimes can you think of that are so ambiguously defined as rape and sexual assault? None that I can think of off the top of my head, and probably not many even if I did some research. As a woman, I find that to be incredibly troubling.

Which, by the way, was my initial point: the procedure for filing/pursuing cases of rape and sexual violence is ridiculously convoluted and complicated. Enough so that I don't see a lot of women going through the trouble when there's not at least a nugget of truth at the heart of that accusation.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Seriously though, I'm not trying to be insensitive to rape. If there was a way to pass a law that rapists be castrated, I'd support it 100%. Rape is despicable.

But posting a video on YouTube thinking it's your "last resort" and claiming that you've done everything you can because you contacted Nancy Grace is just stupid.

Stupid for whom? She's 16... for all intensive purposes, a child. She might very well think this was her only chance to get her story heard.

Again, I too feel like that video felt more like a performance than anything else, but I'm open to the possibility that it could be true, in which case, its quite a serious matter, and deserves no humorous spin.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-15-2008, 08:08 PM
I have to go now (going to see the game with some friends) but I want to continue the discussion later CuckingFunt. Its become quite informative, I think. ;)

JMarkJohns
05-15-2008, 09:08 PM
For an online generation, the Web offers what traditional counseling does not. It's a chance to communicate without having to face someone or fear their judgment.

attention whore

On one hand, I can't help but feel sympathetic with her. It makes me angry to think a 23 year old dirt bag can do something like this, and get away with it.

On the other, I don't know why, but her plea for help seems... like a performance. That and the fact she posted the video in youtube... I can't help but feel like she might be doing this for attention....

He must have dumped her.

:lol

i lol'd

bitch's video only has a rating of 2 stars, that's pretty bad

I also like the name dropping she did for the reporters.

Seems like thw top quote from the article is just a bit inaccurate.

I don't have an opinion on this. It seems like the story makes it clear other legal channels were at least tried, but refused. That lends a bit more credibility to her, but I do agree this seems like a ploy.

I had two friends in high school that were "raped" .. .the first one was as far as I'm concerned. She was drugged by her dipshit boyfriend and humiliated. I hate that effin' prick!

The other was more of a friend of a friend. She had claimed date rape when she was close to 15. She had a/kept the kid from it (red flag #1). Just over two years later, still in high school, she got pregnant again (red flag #2), and joked about claiming date rape on it (nail in the coffin). I never believed a word that bitch said again.

I just don't don't see how this type of presentation does anything to add credibility to her. Making jokes... taking it to the media in this fashion, I just don't buy it because I saw how a real woman reacted to being date raped, and it was nothing like this, or that other example I gave.

Sure, I think an inappropriate situation occured. Whether or not it was concensual doesn't really matter. A 23 year old shouldn't be having sex with a 15 year old. Seemingly the ball appears to have been dropped on this one from a legal standpoint. However, the fact that it so quickly went from that to this is troubling.

The sone
05-16-2008, 01:06 AM
truly a nation divided...for cbs news...im dan rather.