PDA

View Full Version : Nets and Nuggets Talking Carmelo and Camby Trade

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Nets must aggressively pursue major trade
Thursday May 15, 2008
IANNAZZONESTAFF WRITER

Nets president Rod Thorn and general manager Kiki Vandeweghe talked of keeping the nucleus together after finishing 34-48 this past season, but that's not what they want. That's not their plan.

They would like to do something big. Remember Thorn's specialty has been pulling off blockbusters and Vandeweghe rebuilt the Nuggets when he was their GM.

Thinking big, the Nets have had exploratory conversations with Denver about Carmelo Anthony and Marcus Camby, league sources said. Vandeweghe traded for Camby and drafted Anthony in Denver.

Nothing is imminent. The Nuggets are not committed to moving Anthony yet. But after his recent legal troubles plus five straight first-round losses, they are listening to offers for their players.

More big names could become available by the end of the playoffs and as the draft nears. All the coaching changes could lead teams to shake up their rosters to fit their style.

Having said that, the Nets have assets to do something: three draft picks, Keith Van Horn's contract, young players Marcus Williams, Sean Williams, Josh Boone, Richard Jefferson coming off his best statistical season, Nenad Krstic's contract that they can use in a sign-and-trade and one $3.3 million trade exception from the Jason Kidd deal. (It was two, but the league changed it.)

A big night for the Nets will be Tuesday's draft lottery. When they know where they will select – if form holds it will be No. 10 – they can decide what to do with their picks and see how valuable they are around the league.

With two first-rounders, the Nets are prime candidates to deal. Although Vandeweghe said they want to get younger, the ultimate plan is getting better. Adding a major piece like an Anthony would do that.

The Nets may not have enough to get him, but they have to be aggressively pursue moves this off-season. Returning the same team would be a big mistake.

Nets president Rod Thorn and general manager Kiki Vandeweghe talked of keeping the nucleus together after finishing 34-48 this past season, but that's not what they want. That's not their plan.

Thinking big, the Nets have had exploratory conversations with Denver about Carmelo Anthony and Marcus Camby, league sources said. Vandeweghe traded for Camby and drafted Anthony in Denver.

Nothing is imminent. The Nuggets are not committed to moving Anthony yet. But after his recent legal troubles plus five straight first-round losses, they are listening to offers for their players.

More big names could become available by the end of the playoffs and as the draft nears. All the coaching changes could lead teams to shake up their rosters to fit their style.

Having said that, the Nets have assets to do something: three draft picks, Keith Van Horn's contract, young players Marcus Williams, Sean Williams, Josh Boone, Richard Jefferson coming off his best statistical season, Nenad Krstic's contract that they can use in a sign-and-trade and one $3.3 million trade exception from the Jason Kidd deal. (It was two, but the league changed it.)

A big night for the Nets will be Tuesday's draft lottery. When they know where they will select – if form holds it will be No. 10 – they can decide what to do with their picks and see how valuable they are around the league.

With two first-rounders, the Nets are prime candidates to deal. Although Vandeweghe said they want to get younger, the ultimate plan is getting better. Adding a major piece like an Anthony would do that.

The Nets may not have enough to get him, but they have to be aggressively pursue moves this off-season. Returning the same team would be a big mistake.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/nets/18962874.html

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-15-2008, 10:42 PM
I prefer the Melo for Deng/Hinrich rumour.....

Supergirl
05-16-2008, 07:21 AM
I have to say, I think you don't trade youth if you can trade age. Anthony could be a lot better with a the right coach, say one who believes in defense. And Iverson doesn't have too many more years in front of him. If I were the GM, I'd be a lot more tempted to trade AI than I would Anthony. They can both be headcases, so it's not like that's a real factor.

DBryant88
05-16-2008, 07:29 AM
i'd trade AI and keep Anthony only because of the age difference. AI has like 2 or 3 more good years left while Anthony has like 9-10

Soul_Patch
05-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Anthony would completely self destruct in a city like New York / New Jersey