PDA

View Full Version : Love the 'W" / Hated the way we got it

tmtcsc
05-16-2008, 12:21 AM
I am absolutely thrilled that we evened up the series and forced a Game 7. That is first and foremost.

However, I am still frustrated that we can't find a way to score in the paint. We are living and dying with 3 pointers and that is a failed, risky approach to get it done on the road. I also felt that the Hornets laid down and died for us in the second half.

They made foolish fouls, lost their cool, etc. We had a chance to really get them in trouble when Paul and West each had 4 fouls and we didn't capitalize on it.

The Hornets will play harder at home and those misses will be makes and the fouls will not go our way. We are going to have to play our best game of the series to win on the road and that means taking the ball to basket with authority and to crash the boards.

No long rebounds from missed 3's. Those start transition opps and Paul rarely messes those up.

GO SPURS !!!

Tyler_Durden
05-16-2008, 12:24 AM
k.

timmydidit
05-16-2008, 12:24 AM
amen

DazedAndConfused
05-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Yup you are one of the few bright posters here. Bombing away from 3pt land will result in another blowout loss.

If the Spurs can't figure out how to score in NOH's paint they will not win Game 7. And I suspect because they haven't figured it out by now it isn't going to happen.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-16-2008, 12:26 AM
We got a shot in the paint on 13 of our 22 first quarter possessions (dominated by pick and roll sets).

As long as 4down isn't run a disproportionately high amount of the time, we'll be fine.

Septic
05-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Yup you are one of the few bright posters here. Bombing away from 3pt land will result in another blowout loss.

If the Spurs can't figure out how to score in NOH's paint they will not win Game 7. And I suspect because they haven't figured it out by now it isn't going to happen.Nothing to see here folks, keep it moving, nothing to see here, just mindless blather... keep it movin'

dbreiden83080
05-16-2008, 12:27 AM

If the Spurs can't figure out how to score in NOH's paint they will not win Game 7. And I suspect because they haven't figured it out by now it isn't going to happen.

So it is a lock Spurs can't hit wide open 3 pt shots on the road or get in the paint. :rolleyes

dbreiden83080
Nothing to see here folks, keep it moving, nothing to see here, just mindless blather... keep it movin'

:lmao

BonnerDynasty

I actually agree with this.

It is ridiculous to watch the Spurs for 4 god damn quarters try the same shit that DOES NOT WORK IN N.O.

2centsworth
05-16-2008, 12:28 AM
I am absolutely thrilled that we evened up the series and forced a Game 7. That is first and foremost.

However, I am still frustrated that we can't find a way to score in the paint. We are living and dying with 3 pointers and that is a failed, risky approach to get it done on the road. I also felt that the Hornets laid down and died for us in the second half.

They made foolish fouls, lost their cool, etc. We had a chance to really get them in trouble when Paul and West each had 4 fouls and we didn't capitalize on it.

The Hornets will play harder at home and those misses will be makes and the fouls will not go our way. We are going to have to play our best game of the series to win on the road and that means taking the ball to basket with authority and to crash the boards.

No long rebounds from missed 3's. Those start transition opps and Paul rarely messes those up.

GO SPURS !!!

Spurs will have to bury the 3s to be a champion. They have done it and can do it. Manu, Bruce, Fin, Barry, Ime, and now Tony are a righteous cast of 3 point shooters.

2centsworth
05-16-2008, 12:29 AM

It is ridiculous to watch the Spurs for 4 god damn quarters try the same shit that DOES NOT WORK IN N.O.

What doesn't work is being passive in the 3rd and then settling for 3s. The threes need to be set up by penetration.

Avitus1
05-16-2008, 12:30 AM
We gotta attack the paint!! Living and dieing on 3s can and has hurt us in NO.

dbreiden83080
05-16-2008, 12:30 AM

The way the Spurs are built they need to hit 3's. Manu, Finley, Bowen, Barry (if he gets minutes) are all great 3 pt shooters who will be open when they double Timmy. We have to hit them on the road period. We can get in the paint as well. Games 3 and 4 we did it much better.

Whisky Dog
05-16-2008, 12:32 AM
If the Spurs can't rotate the ball cleanly and knock down wide open shots like they did tonight on the road they don't deserve to win a title. Open shots are open shots no matter where you are.

BonnerDynasty
05-16-2008, 12:33 AM
What doesn't work is being passive in the 3rd and then settling for 3s. The threes need to be set up by penetration.

It's not just the 3's. It is HORRIBLE shot selection and Tony/Manu settling for jumpers.

2centsworth
05-16-2008, 12:44 AM
It's not just the 3's. It is HORRIBLE shot selection and Tony/Manu settling for jumpers.

that comes from being passive. Two keys are to stay stay aggressive and make 3 point shots. Bail out 3s are no good.

tmtcsc
05-16-2008, 12:46 AM
For us to win on the road, we have to limit our turnovers and really value each possession. We did a great job of getting Tim the ball in the first quarter and he responded with 14 pts, mostly on easy baskets. He got 6 pts the rest of the game. How does that happen ?

And since when did it become a crime to finish by dunking the F'n ball. Can Oberto not get up ? At least old Stone Hands Nazr Mohammed could finish once he got control of the ball.

WHAT I LIKED:

** I liked that we made David West work for his points. In Game 5 he made about 10 shots w/o taking a dribble. Tonight, most of his attempts came after he was forced to drive. If he makes those, thats fine, but at least he had to work for it.

** I liked that we moved and shared the ball tonight. Except for a few stretches, I thought we made good, crisp passes.

** I wasn't quite sure why we had Bruce on Paul again. He's a good defender but Chris Paul is way too fast and elusive for him. He'd have destroyed Steve Nash just like Jason Kidd. I thought he wasn't very aggressive tonight. He's much more dangerous at home..usually in the 3rd quarter.

** This makes 5 out of 6 games that we have led at half time. If we can figure out that damn 3rd quarter in NO and drag the youngsters into the deeper waters in the 4th, the tight sphincter factor will make for short armed jumpers and people not wanting to take "the shot". I give props to NO for being able to avoid that so far. WE HAVE TO COMPETE for all 4 quarters. That's when we can take advantage of our experience.

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2008, 12:47 AM
3rd quarter meltdowns are our nemesis

2centsworth
05-16-2008, 12:51 AM
For us to win on the road, we have to limit our turnovers and really value each possession. We did a great job of getting Tim the ball in the first quarter and he responded with 14 pts, mostly on easy baskets. He got 6 pts the rest of the game. How does that happen ?

And since when did it become a crime to finish by dunking the F'n ball. Can Oberto not get up ? At least old Stone Hands Nazr Mohammed could finish once he got control of the ball.

WHAT I LIKED:

** I liked that we made David West work for his points. In Game 5 he made about 10 shots w/o taking a dribble. Tonight, most of his attempts came after he was forced to drive. If he makes those, thats fine, but at least he had to work for it.

** I liked that we moved and shared the ball tonight. Except for a few stretches, I thought we made good, crisp passes.

** I wasn't quite sure why we had Bruce on Paul again. He's a good defender but Chris Paul is way too fast and elusive for him. He'd have destroyed Steve Nash just like Jason Kidd. I thought he wasn't very aggressive tonight. He's much more dangerous at home..usually in the 3rd quarter.

** This makes 5 out of 6 games that we have led at half time. If we can figure out that damn 3rd quarter in NO and drag the youngsters into the deeper waters in the 4th, the tight sphincter factor will make for short armed jumpers and people not wanting to take "the shot". I give props to NO for being able to avoid that so far. WE HAVE TO COMPETE for all 4 quarters. That's when we can take advantage of our experience.

I fogot good decision making as a key. Intesity, 3pt shooting, and good decision making.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-16-2008, 12:53 AM
uhhhh, in regards to Bowen on Paul, Bowen drew at least 2 offensive fouls on Paul.

Trainwreck2100
05-16-2008, 12:55 AM
I wasn't quite sure why we had Bruce on Paul again. He's a good defender but Chris Paul is way too fast and elusive for him. He'd have destroyed Steve Nash just like Jason Kidd. I thought he wasn't very aggressive tonight. He's much more dangerous at home..usually in the 3rd quarter.

Ime was on peja parker was sitting

jag
05-16-2008, 01:10 AM
We got a shot in the paint on 13 of our 22 first quarter possessions (dominated by pick and roll sets).

As long as 4down isn't run a disproportionately high amount of the time, we'll be fine.

These are the stats that matter folks...

Capt Bringdown
05-16-2008, 01:25 AM
We gotta hit the threes.
Like it or not, that's the position we're in...

I don't like it, I wish we had a banger inside, a guy who could score in the paint and help take some the pressure off of the big 3 and our frequently unreliable outside shooting.

But we decided to sign Bonner instead.

tmtcsc
05-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Ime was on peja parker was sitting

Hey trainwreck, is that a random avatar or is that you smacking your gf or sister ? Dude, that is hardcore.

DazedAndConfused
05-16-2008, 02:06 AM
For whatever reason NOH also plays MUCH better defense at home. If you notice, their rotations in Games 1/2/5 were perfect. On the road, they are a complete disaster.

The reason the Spurs had such a terrible 3rd quarter was mostly because of NOH's defense. Even your headcoach admitted so. If the Hornets can bring that defensive intensity for the whole game and force SAS into taking the same contested outside shots they should win IMHO. We all know the Spurs will get no love from the refs so Parker and Duncan are gonna have a tough time getting to the line.

BiZNicK
05-16-2008, 02:09 AM
I loved the Win and loved the way we won it.

SouthernFried
05-16-2008, 06:00 AM
There is nothing in the paint in NO. Look at the replays...they usually have all 5 guys in the paint when anyone is even thinking about driving down there.

We hit our outside shots in NO, or go home. That includes 3's. That is what they will give us. Make 'em and we win, dont' take them...or miss them...and we go home.

If we can make early outside shots, then...and only then, will the paint open up.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Gotta make them pay for packing the paint. Period. It's the only way to open it up.

SpurAddict561
05-16-2008, 07:02 AM

WHAT I LIKED:

Bravo, awesome post....not much else can be said after that one.

:flag:

Supergirl
05-16-2008, 07:40 AM
The key is not 3 pters or no 3 pters, but to be smart about 3-pters. Make the extra pass, move the ball well, try and take it inside, and if that frees up someone with a good outside shot, then take it. In the losses the Spurs took some BAD 3's, and also missed some jumpers they usually make. Those have to go down for the Spurs to win, and they have to be smart about the 3's they take. But that all starts from their defense and controlling the pace, which they've done for 6 quarters in NO. They just need to do it for 4 in Game 7, and most importantly do it in the 3rd.

I still believe. Game 7 is where their experience comes into play the most. And if they are going to be able to repeat as champions, they should be able to win one on the road, and esp win a Game 7 on the road.

tmtcsc
05-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree that we need to be smart about shot selection and NOT avoid taking 3's all together. I just think that too many times our offense gets bogged down and we have players holding on to the ball much too long. Before you know it, the shot clock is at 3 and someone is jacking up a long 3 pt shot.

I'd rather we get a 24 sec violation than take a bad 3 pter. The Hornets really feed off of those misses. We have been outrebounded in NO by their more athletic bigs. I'd like to see us drive to the basket with composure and not out of control--looking for the foul. Try a pump fake, a stutter step, whatever is necessary to get a good shot or get fouled.

As much praise as we have given to Kurt Thomas, I've been disappointed with him this series. When he was with Phoenix last year, he consistently hit his 10 - 15 ft jump shot. He hasn't done that for us. I'm not sure if he's gotten the opportunity to do so in our offense.

Why not draw something up for him ? Leave the inside stuff to Tim and Oberto.

MannyIsGod
05-16-2008, 11:44 AM
God damn it nothing tilts me like seeing AHF say "four down" knowing he's so fucking wrong and just keeps spewing the bullshit away and away.

SAGambler
05-16-2008, 11:55 AM

That's the trick right there.

We are fine on 3s, as long as they are 3s that have been set up and not 3s because the shot clock is running down.

DazedAndConfused
05-16-2008, 12:00 PM
The NOH defense is what is throwing the Spurs out of whack in the 3rd quarters. They are coming out aggressive and making excellent rotations.