PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Return To Cheap-Shot Rob: He's Left With One Response

duncan228
05-16-2008, 12:57 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA051608.01D.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.1054a96b0.html

Buck Harvey: Return to cheap-shot Rob: He's left with one response

Robert Horry’s reputation has preceded him.

The Hornets think Horry may have intended to do what he did to David West.

Put anyone else inside of the No. 25 jersey, and what happened Thursday would have been a basketball play with an unfortunate ending. But not just anyone was inside of No. 25. Horry was. When West fell to the ground in pain, ESPN cued up the tape from last year, and the connection was made.

In another second round, in another potentially series-changing moment, Horry had bumped into another guy with a bad back.

Horry’s response?

He has only one.

Horry knows the end is coming, and he’s already been thinking about his next career. He thinks coaching might be fun, but Horry has also wondered if he would be a good fit as an NBA coach.

“I know the attitude of some of the guys in this league,” he said a few months ago, and then he acted as if these kinds of players were standing in front of him.

He smiled as he pointed at each imaginary player. “I’d be like, ‘Cut, cut, cut.'”

That’s the Horry who has a sense of humor. That’s also the Horry who could be thinking about his next career as early as Monday.

And that’s the Horry who believes in the old-school attitude. He believes in guys who know the game and have experience, and the Spurs will lean on this in Game 7.

But Horry has never been known as particularly rough. He won seven rings with clutch shots and the good fortune of playing with great players.

That perception changed a year ago with Steve Nash, when Horry stuck out a hip.

Nothing was as spectacular Thursday. Whereas Nash was finishing off a win, West was slugging through another bad one. He finished with only 10 points.

None of this should make the Spurs feel confident about Monday. West had scored only 10 points in Game 4, too, and then he rebounded with a dominant 38 points in Game 5.

This time he had an excuse. After he iced his sore back Tuesday night, teammates noticed West walking gingerly into the arena Thursday.

Tim Duncan’s defense didn’t make him feel any better, nor did an inbounds botch to start the third quarter. Tony Parker took that gift for a layup and a nine-point Spurs lead.

Then came a rash of fouls against West and Chris Paul that made them feel as if they had their own Joey Crawford in the AT&T Center. After the two of them had been called for four fouls in about a minute, Paul leaned over the scorer’s table with a smirk.

“It’s like they got a phone call at halftime,” Paul said of the referees. “And they said, ‘Let them boys win.’”

Them boys didn’t pull away until later, when Manu Ginobili and Ime Udoka began to throw in threes. Then, with the Spurs ahead by 21, West jumped just as Horry picked from behind.

“He took a good shot in the back,” Byron Scott said afterward.

They would say more in private, and Tyson Chandler summed up the mood of the locker room when asked if Horry’s blow had been intended for someone already with a bad back. Chandler admitted to not seeing the play, but Horry’s presence confirmed the worst. “I wouldn’t doubt it,” Chandler said.

They were angrier when the crowd chanted Horry’s name about that time, with West on the ground and in pain, and the Hornets had every reason to be angry. Horry deserved to have his name chanted at some point, considering Thursday could have been his last game in San Antonio. But not then.

For Horry, all of it added to his reputation. But just as it’s unlikely to think he knew he could persuade a few Suns to walk off the bench and into suspensions, isn’t it as implausible to believe he targeted West at his medical weakness and tried to injure him?

No one will give him this benefit of the doubt. There’s the connection, after all.

So he will do next what he’s done more than anyone in history, which is walk out into another playoff game. Then Horry will give the only response he’s capable of.

No one is made for a Game 7 like he is, after all.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-16-2008, 01:02 AM
He took a good shot in the back,” Byron Scott said afterward.

They would say more in private, and Tyson Chandler summed up the mood of the locker room when asked if Horry’s blow had been intended for someone already with a bad back. Chandler admitted to not seeing the play, but Horry’s presence confirmed the worst. “I wouldn’t doubt it,” Chandler said.

Gimmie a break. Horry's been in the league for 20 frickin years, and one season changes all perceptions of him :lmao
Do your homework people!

“It’s like they got a phone call at halftime,” Paul said of the referees. “And they said, ‘Let them boys win.’”

I hope the refs get wind of this and convene against Chris Paul.

Shouldn't that guy be a little more self-editing? Fans can joke that way, but not players.

:lol So forthcoming

Kori Ellis
05-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Then came a rash of fouls against West and Chris Paul that made them feel as if they had their own Joey Crawford in the AT&T Center. After the two of them had been called for four fouls in about a minute, Paul leaned over the scorer’s table with a smirk.

“It’s like they got a phone call at halftime,” Paul said of the referees. “And they said, ‘Let them boys win.’” :lol

2centsworth
05-16-2008, 01:04 AM
“It’s like they got a phone call at halftime,” Paul said of the referees. “And they said, ‘Let them boys win.’”

that deserves an ass kicking on Monday.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-16-2008, 01:05 AM

seriously, GO FUCK YOURSELF! you little princess! Bitch all you want, you're going down on Monday little whining piece of crap

ChumpDumper
05-16-2008, 01:06 AM
If Stern was enforcing rules anymore, that Paul remark would get a fine.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-16-2008, 01:07 AM
seriously, GO FUCK YOURSELF! you little princess! Bitch all you want, you're going down on Monday little whining piece of crap

He's too comfortable to make comments like that. Wayy too overconfident to be so damn casual.

Gotta give the Spurs a LITTLE credit. Refs didn't will in Manu and Udoka's three bombs.
Plus all those calls were LEGIT calls. The easiest calls to make in the playoffs.

Two pushoffs, West all arm contact, a tech, and a charge! Gimme a fucking break. It's not like they were ticky-tack bullshit.

Brutalis
05-16-2008, 01:07 AM
He really said that?

wowww

san antonio spurs
05-16-2008, 01:09 AM
how much does he get fined?

whottt
05-16-2008, 01:11 AM
LOL @ Tyson Chandler's opinion...this dude just about broke Parker's tailbone earlier in this series...and he enjoyed doing it. Exact same type of play as West was injured on...difference being he put about 10 times more kick into it than Horry did and Parker is about half the size of West.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-16-2008, 01:11 AM
how much does he get fined?

Hopefully enough so that he'll learn to keep his sorry ass mouth shut!

WildcardManu
05-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Fuck that, I'm glad that bitch went down, I felt sorry for their asses before the comments but I rather stand by Rob who is Spur than let these punk ass bitches disrespect him and the team by saying dumb shit like that.

mVp
05-16-2008, 01:12 AM
“It’s like they got a phone call at halftime,” Paul said of the referees. “And they said, ‘Let them boys win.”

OMG

I can't believe he said that :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-16-2008, 01:14 AM
“It’s like they got a phone call at halftime,” Paul said of the referees. “And they said, ‘Let them boys win.’”

What a bitch. That should be a fine, too.

tmtcsc
05-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Hearing the crowd chant "Horry ! Horry ! Horry!" was a little disturbing. I didn't see what had happened but when I saw an opposing player down I knew something was up.

I think the crowd responded to Horry playing tough basketball. If West wasn't already hurt, that hit wouldn't have put him down. That's a joke.

Chris Paul, Bonzi Wells, David West, Melvin Ely and Mo Peterson have ALL thrown cheap shots in this series. Man up or go home.

pooh
05-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Revenge will be sweet on Monday when the Hornets dismantle the Spurs.

Borosai
05-16-2008, 01:33 AM
If West hadn't jumped at the last second, he wouldn't have gone down like that. It would have been just another pick. Who cares. There's a game on Monday that the Spurs must win.

PlayoffEx-static
05-16-2008, 07:27 AM

Don't you have another 19 page novel to write? They say everyone has one good book in them. We're still waiting for yours...

gospursgojas
05-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Paul's a punk bitch.

And people need stop fooling themselves and look at the tape again.
Horry knew what he was doing and was deliberate in doing it.

And I chanted his name, playoff basketball. Anyone with 7 rings knows whats up. :smokin

MannyIsGod
05-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Chris Paul won't get fined. He didn't say that to reporters. He said it during a game.

Supergirl
05-16-2008, 07:44 AM
LOL. All of a sudden Horry has a "reputation"? For a decade he was known as a spot up deadly three point shooter, not much more, now all of a sudden he's "dirty." I call BS.

Horry plays old school, which is to say hard defense. If West wants to play with the big boys, let him play like the big boys. STFU with the whining. It was a good, clean, hard foul. Nothing more.

gaKNOW!blee
05-16-2008, 07:46 AM
I cant believe how much of a pussy Paul is.

ThomasGranger
05-16-2008, 08:05 AM

The league will probably ignore what Paul said and fine/suspend Horry.

DarrinS
05-16-2008, 08:06 AM

“It’s like they got a phone call at halftime,” Paul said of the referees. “And they said, ‘Let them boys win.’” :lol

There were some pretty lame calls a against the Hornets. BTW, nice rack.

DarrinS
05-16-2008, 08:07 AM
LOL @ Tyson Chandler's opinion...this dude just about broke Parker's tailbone earlier in this series...and he enjoyed doing it. Exact same type of play as West was injured on...difference being he put about 10 times more kick into it than Horry did and Parker is about half the size of West.

Great point.

After watching it again, it didn't look like much of anything. David West's back must have been hurting already.

ThomasGranger
05-16-2008, 08:10 AM

The only really lame one that comes to mind is the and 1 Tim got when he made that layup on the left side of the basket and Chandler tried to block him from behind. I thought the contact was minimal, at most, but considering how much he got hammered before that I'll take it as a makeup call.

wildbill2u
05-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Hard foul? Oh my goodness, did you see that Maudie? Horry held his ground on a pick and put his arms in front of him to protect himself. [sarcasm/]

There are simply too many new 'fans' in this league who never saw old school players like Clyde Lovelette, Bad New Barnes, Rich Jones and the Spurs' Bruise Brothers.

Ginofan
05-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Just because it's Horry it's a "cheap shot"? Gimmie a break. West backed into Robert and Robert stood firm, it's not his fault that West already had an ailing back, and it's definitely not his fault that West took himself to the ground.

People need to quit being so damn sensitive.

SpursWoman
05-16-2008, 08:16 AM
After watching it again, it didn't look like much of anything. David West's back must have been hurting already.

His back was already hurting, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue at all. Were the Spurs supposed to keep at least 6 feet away from him at all times just because he decided to play hurt? Sucks for him, but Horry didn't do anything but set a hard pick. BFD.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-16-2008, 08:19 AM

Wow. You gotta be kidding. This is astonishingly brainless.

First: he's wrong. All four fouls were obvious calls. None was questionable.

Paul completely clears out Bowen's block attempt with his left arm to make a layup. Paul obviously pushes off Bowen in open court on a fast break. Does he think he's entitled to just shove defenders with his off arm because he was 2nd in MVP voting? The league cuts stars some slack but not THAT much.

West hacks Duncan across the arms. West lowers his shoulder into Duncan's chest and pops him. Does West think he's entitled to not have these called because he's an all-star? They were obvious calls, not even questionable.

Second: EVEN IF they were questionable calls (which they were not), Paul's words and West's sulking and subsequent tech exhibit a stunning lack of winning attitude and team leadership. If a team starts using the refs as an excuse, they don't focus on their execution and energy. Leaders don't blame the refs.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-16-2008, 08:21 AM
His back was already hurting, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue at all. Were the Spurs supposed to keep at least 6 feet away from him at all times just because he decided to play hurt? Sucks for him, but Horry didn't do anything but set a hard pick. BFD.

Ex-ACT-ly.

If you want to blame someone, why not blame West's teammated for not calling out the back screen? Or, blame Mr. COY Byron Scott for leaving West in in a blowout game when he knew his back was sore?

pbandjnocrust
05-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Hearing the crowd chant "Horry ! Horry ! Horry!" was a little disturbing. I didn't see what had happened but when I saw an opposing player down I knew something was up.

I think the crowd responded to Horry playing tough basketball. If West wasn't already hurt, that hit wouldn't have put him down. That's a joke.

Chris Paul, Bonzi Wells, David West, Melvin Ely and Mo Peterson have ALL thrown cheap shots in this series. Man up or go home.

+1

Guess people are forgetting the beating Parker took in game 5.

Shank
05-16-2008, 08:27 AM
The hypocrisy around here is too much.

SAGambler
05-16-2008, 08:28 AM
I don't know what the hell Paul is bitching about. Even the ESPN announcers said everyone of those calls were correct. It's just that Paul has been getting away with these offensive fouls the entire series, and last night he didn't.

As for West, he should not even have been on the court. The game was basically over, he had 4 fouls, and it was evident all night his back was hurting him from the last game. He should have been on the bench. If he is injured enough to not be able to play Monday night, they can put that on Byron.

And fuck laying this off on Horry was trying to hurt him. West is the one that went up, stretched high and back for the ball, and pulled or strained the muscle more than it already was. If it was the one I've strained before, for about two or three days, every time you take a breath, you almost go to the floor in pain. Not surprised he lay there a long time.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 08:34 AM

Yeah, there's a clear rule about setting picks drawing a mandatory suspension. Wait, no that's about pushing people with a fist instead of an open hand, no wait....

spursfan09
05-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Tony Parker has been getting a beating this series. While CP3 has not even been on the floor unless he flopped there himself. It's annoying TP does not have an enforcer guarding the rim like CP does with both Chandler and West. I am glad Horry was physical. I do not think Horry meant to take West out, it was just he already had a bad back and he probably made it worse.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 08:35 AM

Yeah, the Pacers will finally taste the nectar of victory.

Wait a second...what?

hater
05-16-2008, 08:48 AM

CP3 is a punk ass bitch :rollin

Matchman
05-16-2008, 08:50 AM
where were Paul, West and Chandler when Horry won his first championship with the Great Houston Rockets? yup, playing street ball in the ghetto. they should STFU and play.

ClingingMars
05-16-2008, 08:57 AM

the gayness of your sig is too much, but you don't see me complaining

- Mars

MoSpur
05-16-2008, 09:01 AM

I thought you couldn't comment like that anymore.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
I just read all the comments. We could write a book - I think there's a bunch of things that are wrong attitude-wise with NO. People need to start looking at it. They can actually make game 7 a little chippy if they find themselves losing it.

dmac
05-16-2008, 09:23 AM
LOL. All of a sudden Horry has a "reputation"? For a decade he was known as a spot up deadly three point shooter, not much more, now all of a sudden he's "dirty." I call BS.

Horry plays old school, which is to say hard defense. If West wants to play with the big boys, let him play like the big boys. STFU with the whining. It was a good, clean, hard foul. Nothing more.

Did West say something other than, "OUCH!!!"

Paul is a punk as bitch, but I didn't know West complained.

bobbybob0
05-16-2008, 09:25 AM
That pick was mean: coming from behind, leaning low and going up on the contact, hard playoff foul for sure.

One thing I'm sure of though is that Horry would have set the exact same pick to any other Hornets on the floor at that time regarless of the back condition (or lack thereof)

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2008, 09:31 AM

Yeh in most sports ur not allowed to speculate the calls made from the refs that questions there integrity to put the sport in disrepute. Players and coaches would usually get fined for them kind of comments.

Whisky Dog
05-16-2008, 10:07 AM

The only thing lame is that the officials haven't been calling Paul for pushing off with the off arm on every drive before last night. If they would have been calling that from the beginning then Paul wouldnt expect to get away with it. All of those calls were legitimate, even Spurs hater Mark Jackson agreed with them.

btimsah
05-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Robert Horry knew exactly what he was doing and meant to do it. The fans did as well. I'm just glad someone else gets to see this besides the Sun's. It's seriously the only reason Horry comes in the games anymore. To set hard fouls. It does not matter. Game 7 will end the Spurs. Your evil will end. You will all cry like the very biatches you deride and blame the officials. You will cry about "cheap shots" that you're own team uses to it's benefit year after year. You guys are the biggest bunch of hypocrites in the league and the chanting of "horry" last night was totally expected. Pathetic fans for a pathetic, win-at-all-cost's team and mentality.

Spurminator
05-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Your evil

:lmao :lmao

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2008, 10:14 AM
I agree that it was in bad taste for the crowd to rain down a "Horry! Horry! Horry!" chant with West laying on the floor. This is the same fan base that was bent when Seattle fans cheered Tim Duncan's injury in 2005; given the chance last night to show the sort of respect that so many thought was lacking that night in the Great Northwest, Spurs fans seemed inclined, instead, to celebrate.

I don't think Rob's screen was dirty or anything like that -- honestly, it was about the same as the pick that Chandler set on Parker in the early stages of Game 5 (one the Hornets thought wasn't a foul); the only real difference is that West had a back problem coming in and Parker was relatively healthy -- and I guess that's the thing that really makes me wonder why there was any need for that sort of a chant. I was kind of embarrassed to be a Spurs fan in that building at that moment.

brettn
05-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Other than the Spurs winning, seeing the refs finally call Chris Paul for using that damn off arm to create space may have been the most satisfying thing of last night. It's been one of the more frustrating things watching him get away with it all series and I'm glad they finally called his punk ass out on it.

whottt
05-16-2008, 10:41 AM
I agree that it was in bad taste for the crowd to rain down a "Horry! Horry! Horry!" chant with West laying on the floor. This is the same fan base that was bent when Seattle fans cheered Tim Duncan's injury in 2005; given the chance last night to show the sort of respect that so many thought was lacking that night in the Great Northwest, Spurs fans seemed inclined, instead, to celebrate.

#1. The way West went down was nothing like the way Duncan went down.

#2. They were cheering a hard foul, the end result of a hard foul should be that a player goes down.

#3. IF you don't cheer your players giving hard fouls, you won't have players giving them...you'll have players receiving them.

I can't believe so many Spurs fans can't tell what a fucking back spasm is. And think kissing the ass of some guy who has been leveling the shit out of Parker and Manu all series, and saying fuck these motherfuckers every time he runs down the court, is more important than the Spurs player who sent a message to the other team(as well as his own teamates about what kind of attitude it takes to go into a hostile arena and win a game 7).

I can tell you what a back spasm is...

It's something that won't cause West to miss even a second of PT he would normally get in game 7.

And you know what looked like it happened to him?

It looked like he got the breath knocked out of him...that's a hardly a career or series ender there...and at no time did it appear to be one.

#4. Watch Horry's reaction to the chants...he is anything but offended by them.

Go act indignant on one hand and cheer go Spurs go in the other...and realize if the team changes it's attitude and hardens up, which is what it will need to do to win game 7....

Realize not only did you not contribute to them doing that...you in fact opposed it...you wee embarrassed by it.

Remember that as you celebrate, Spurfan.

You don't deserve Robert Horry...he liked those chants, go back and watch the game.

He's also the only guy on this team that knows what it takes to go into a someone elses arena and win a game 7.

Cheering Robert Horry was more important than the status of David West...and I'm just thankful there were so many Spurfans there willing to send the right message that they are behind their team...as they go into a hostile arena for this game 7.

Budkin
05-16-2008, 10:43 AM
How sweet would it be if Horry hit the game winner in NO on Monday, ala Mario Elie's "kiss of death" in Game 7 in Phoenix in 1995.

Phenomanul
05-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Horry should have told the crowd to simmer down....

honestfool84
05-16-2008, 10:51 AM
chris paul is a pussy, eh?
yes or no?

that's what i thought.

what a pussy.

CosmicCowboy
05-16-2008, 10:53 AM
LOL...Horry was standing still and West jumped back into him.

Thats like blaming a telephone pole for the accident when a drunk slams into it.

TampaDude
05-16-2008, 11:02 AM
LOL...Horry was standing still and West jumped back into him.

Thats like blaming a telephone pole for the accident when a drunk slams into it.

Exactly... :lol

I do hope West will be okay, though...we want the Hornets at full strength when we beat them on Monday night. :toast

whottt
05-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Horry should have told the crowd to simmer down....

No...Horry needs to come on here and tell you, and FWDT, to shut the fuck up becuase you guys are fucking idiots.

The Bums got the chant going too!!

Those guys are real fans, they know the ins and outs and have had more to with the Spurs crowd winning them games, then bandwaggoners like you and FWDT will ever have on yoru best day, you guys probably think a smattering of applause encourages yoru team...they know what a hard foul is, they know you don't win game 7 without them...and they know the Spurs are going to have to give them. And they know Horry is hte one guy old school enough to be thinking about that right now.

They know that because they've been watching games since the 70's when they were a hundred times more physicial and brutal than they are now.

IF it was up to you guys, ya'll had have Horry drop to his knees and kiss West's ass over a fucking back spasm.

Seriously..turn in your card...you don't deserve team that wins a game 7 on the road.

I can probably get you directions to West's house so you guys can line up to kiss ass...it seems to be what's important to you. Whatever makes you feel better...

Dumbasses.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2008, 11:28 AM
#1. The way West went down was nothing like the way Duncan went down.

I didn't actually SEE the way West went down until this morning -- there was no replay of the screen in the building. What I saw was a player down on the floor for the duration of a timeout with an apparent injury. I don't know -- call me crazy for respecting the game and the players.

#2. They were cheering a hard foul, the end result of a hard foul should be that a player goes down.

The end result of a hard foul should be that a player goes down, I agree with that. The problem I had was that the chant came up well after it was apparent that West wasn't just down, but that he was injured. I whole-heartedly support strong, hard fouls, but I'm not going to chant the name of a guy who just gave a hard foul when it's apparent to me that the player who suffered the foul is injured.

There are two separate issues here, though not surprisingly, you choose to conflate them to make whatever nonsensical point suits your arguments. I agree that hard fouls are important in a playoff series and I agree that the Spurs needed to send some sort of a message with a physical playoff foul -- and Horry did that. I can support the foul without chanting Horry's name while an opposing player is down on the floor injured. In fact, if you had bothered to read the rest of my post, I wholly defended Horry's play.

#3. IF you don't cheer your players giving hard fouls, you won't have players giving them...you'll have players receiving them.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy that causal connection. Horry wasn't been cheered before he gave the hard foul and I don't think, if presented with the situation again, that he's going to consider giving a hard foul in light of whether or not he'll be cheered by Spurs fans. If he does, then he needs to find another line of work. Obviously, Horry has been a fabulous basketball player, so I'm guessing that his own opinions and those of his teammates are far more significant to his calculations than whether he'll be cheered by 18,000 people who'll never be in that position themselves.

I can't believe so many Spurs fans can't tell what a fucking back spasm is. And think kissing the ass of some guy who has been leveling the shit out of Parker and Manu all series, and saying fuck these motherfuckers every time he runs down the court, is more important than the Spurs player who sent a message to the other team(as well as his own teamates about what kind of attitude it takes to go into a hostile arena and win a game 7).

Again, I don't have any problem with the Spurs imposing hard fouls. I don't have any problem with Horry's play on West. I don't have any problem with the Spurs making a point of putting a hard foul or two on West. And I do think putting hard fouls on West, Chandler, Paul, Peterson, Stojakovic, or any other Hornet is justified by the physical play that has been visited on the Spurs during this series. I applaud Horry's actions, too. I just thought it was base to do that while West was laying on the floor injured. Time and place for everything; that wasn't the time for it.

I can tell you what a back spasm is...

It's something that won't cause West to miss even a second of PT he would normally get in game 7.

And you know what looked like it happened to him?

It looked like he got the breath knocked out of him...that's a hardly a career or series ender there...and at no time did it appear to be one.

Fair enough. You're dealing with the benefit of hindsight, though. In the moment, West was laid out prone on the floor and didn't move much through the duration of a long playoff timeout without any replay having been shown to those who were in the building. I'm not sure how you could have been in that moment and known immediately that the injury wasn't at least possibly something serious.

#4. Watch Horry's reaction to the chants...he is anything but offended by them.

Go act indignant on one hand and cheer go Spurs go in the other...and realize if the team changes it's attitude and hardens up, which is what it will need to do to win game 7....

Again, I think there's a big difference between saluting physical play and acting boorishly while a player is down on the floor injured. You don't. That would be among the differences between you and me.

Realize not only did you not contribute to them doing that...you in fact opposed it...you wee embarrassed by it.

Embarassed by the reaction of fans, not embarassed by the play of the Spurs or Robert Horry in particular. I don't have to chant Robert Horry's name in that moment to show that I'm behind my team.

And frankly, I'm content in the knowledge that I support the Spurs as passionately as anyone.

J.T.
05-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Hey, everyone. Maybe yous guys can help me. I'm looking for SpursTalk.com but all I see is people lining up by the thousands to kiss David West's ass because he was playing in an NBA playoff game with an existing injury and then aggravated that injury even more. Jesus Fucking Christ. I'm trying to feel sorry for West but I just can't get past the part where HE PLAYS FOR THE OTHER FUCKING TEAM. I can't believe this has skyrocketed past "Gee golly, I hope he's okay".

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Those guys are real fans, they know the ins and outs and have had more to with the Spurs crowd winning them games, then bandwaggoners like you and FWDT will ever have on yoru best day, you guys probably think a smattering of applause encourages yoru team...

Yes, among all the things I've been called in my 29 years of Spurs fandom -- through all of the hundreds of games I've attended and the thousands of games that I've watched; through sitting in front of my TV in 1987 praying for that red chameleon to do its work and exalting at learning that it had; through playoff trips to LA and Dallas and Seattle and New Orleans and Sacramento where I've been spit upon and called every name in the book for just being a Spurs fan; through sitting at a desk in my home in Lubbock trying to wave a radio antenna to just pick up whatever scratchy signal I could from the WOAI broadcast of a game at Chicago in 1997 to be awed by everyone of rookie Tim Duncan's 22 rebounds in an overtime loss; through booing Amare Stoudemire to the point of hoarseness for his comments about Bruce Bowen; through unending chants of "Javie Sucks!" when he has sucked; through having several Baseline Bums approach me at the Alamodome, asking me to consider joining their group -- bandwagoner is probably the most appropriate name yet.

J.T.
05-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Yes, among all the things I've been called in my 29 years of Spurs fandom -- through all of the hundreds of games I've attended and the thousands of games that I've watched; through sitting in front of my TV in 1987 praying for that red chameleon to do its work and exalting at learning that it had; through playoff trips to LA and Dallas and Seattle and New Orleans and Sacramento where I've been spit upon and called every name in the book for just being a Spurs fan; through sitting at a desk in my home in Lubbock trying to wave a radio antenna to just pick up whatever scratchy signal I could from the WOAI broadcast of a game at Chicago in 1997 to be awed by everyone of rookie Tim Duncan's 22 rebounds in an overtime loss; through booing Amare Stoudemire to the point of hoarseness for his comments about Bruce Bowen; through unending chants of "Javie Sucks!" when he has sucked; through having several Baseline Bums approach me at the Alamodome, asking me to consider joining their group -- bandwagoner is probably the most appropriate name yet.

:owned

whottt
05-16-2008, 11:59 AM
*snip*appauling*snip*fan*snip*behavior*.... *snip*

My rebuttal:

The defense rests.

whottt
05-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Or to put it another way...

Better fans than you were the reason for that Horry chant...I suggest you just accept your mistake, move on, apologize or kiss ass if you prefer(and let's face it, that seems to be your preference)...and then STFU and get back behind your team and hopefully this embarrasing error in fan behavior, ON YOUR PART will all be forgotten soon.

Phenomanul
05-16-2008, 12:18 PM
No...Horry needs to come on here and tell you, and FWDT, to shut the fuck up becuase you guys are fucking idiots.

Those guys are real fans, they know the ins and outs and have had more to with the Spurs crowd winning them games, then bandwaggoners like you and FWDT will ever have on yoru best day, you guys probably think a smattering of applause encourages yoru team...they know what a hard foul is, they know you don't win game 7 without them...and they know the Spurs are going to have to give them. And they know Horry is the one guy old school enough to be thinking about that right now.

They know that because they've been watching games since the 70's when they were a hundred times more physicial and brutal than they are now.

IF it was up to you guys, ya'll had have Horry drop to his knees and kiss West's ass over a fucking back spasm.

Seriously..turn in your card...you don't deserve team that wins a game 7 on the road.

I can probably get you directions to West's house so you guys can line up to kiss ass...it seems to be what's important to you. Whatever makes you feel better...

Dumbasses.

Um... a bit jumpy are we? Another knee-jerk impulsive reaction by whottt???... say it ain't so!!!

For one.... find one single post where I've given up on the Spurs.... (I'll spare you the time - you won't find a single one). So please, spare me the condemning tone and don't ever call me a bandwaggon fan again. My loyalties are clearly defined.

I'm confident that the Spurs can repeat this year - when they play to their abilities no one can beat them. I've been pretty consistent and level headed about that belief - losses and all.

Secondly, Horry's foul was hardly a 'hard foul' - Horry never left his feet, only leaning forward to brace for the hit because West was already leaning back and headed in his direction. Besides, David West should not have been playing on a delicate gimpy back to begin with. Were that pick employed on some other player (by someone not named Horry or Bowen) the play would have been an afterthought... not even a footnote.

Third, Buck Harvey should know better than to title his articles in an instigative fashion. You should tell him to STFU... not me. He is essentially lending credence to an unfair portrayal of Horry. Last year's hip check was only delivered out of frustration because the refs essentially failed to call Horry's initial attempt of intentionally fouling Nash two seconds before. Basically saying 'if this is what I have to do to get the call and stop the clock so be it'. Not to mention that Nash exaggerated the contact by floppling and flailing. Horry was not responsible for the fallout of that incident - if the refs had called the first foul the second one would have never unfolded in the manner that it did. That unfortunate domino would not have fallen and tainted the series in the eyes of Spurs haters everywhere. I'm glad the Spurs convincing dismantling of the Suns this year put all those excuses to rest.

Lastly, it is classless for a fanbase to cheer for an injured player - you simply can't defend the action. Last time I checked the teams on the floor aren't at war, it's a sport. Horry knows this, and had he checked the crowd then maybe we would have averted another 'controversial' incident that villifies our team amongst the NBA fanbase - merited or not. I can't stand it when the media essentially discredits the Spurs' acolades over shortsighted, erroneous, biased events such as this one - they hate eating crow. They have discredited Robinson, Duncan and the Spurs so much... it's sickening. Villifying our team as 'dirty champions' is not how I would want the Spurs' legacy to be defined or how I want this era remembered. The crowds' actions yesterday added to that belief rather than detract from it.

Edit: BTW I've been the one advocating for the Spurs to level Paul in the same fashion that Parker has been getting fouled. Foul-in-kind.

Spurs in Seven!

timmydidit
05-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Im not gonna let dumbass conspiracy theories ruin the glory of that win for me --->

gmartin02
05-16-2008, 12:42 PM
CP3 is a punk ass bitch :rollinCP3 really looked like a whining little crybaby last night - maybe "CP3" stands for "Crying, Pouting, again and again"

Maybe they should call him W3: "Waa, Waa, Waa" - fucking baby...

Reminded me of Gasol in Game 3 vs Utah - someone must have talked to Gasol because he has been less of a baby the last couple of games.

Phenomanul
05-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Seriously, Harvey should be pelted with tomatoes for this inflammatory crap.