PDA

View Full Version : Javie or Danny Crawford will referee Game #7

50 cent
05-16-2008, 01:03 AM
FromWayDowntown, please correct me if my logic is wrong, but here is how I see it....

We know it won't be Salvatore or Joey Crawford since they reffed the last 2 games. I don't think it will be Bavetta or Eddie Rush since they already reffed games in New Orleans this series.

Basically, that leaves us with Javie or Crawford and I'm not too upset about either of those. The rest of the crew will be made up of 2 of the following:

J. Capers
R. Garrettson
B. Delaney
B. Kennedy

(Garrettson and Delaney would be ideal with either of those crew chiefs. They won't get pushed around by the home crowd).

Hell, I would normally prefer Danny, but I like the way Javie has been lately and we he really seems to be calling games well lately.

Steve_Javie
05-16-2008, 01:05 AM
As far as being the road team in a game 7 goes, you want me. Trust me.

SnakeBoy
05-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Game 7's should be no refs. Players call their own fouls.

MI21
05-16-2008, 01:08 AM
I'll take Javie for a road game...

Tigole Bitties
05-16-2008, 01:11 AM
It's pretty sad/unfortunate that the referees are common household names around here.

Spaceman Spiff
05-16-2008, 01:12 AM

Hahaha. Blood only.

50 cent
05-16-2008, 11:55 AM
At least we aren't going to see Joey or Bennett. I would rather see Violet Palmer than either of those 2.

GEICO Caveman
05-16-2008, 11:58 AM
At least we aren't going to see Joey or Bennett. I would rather see Violet Palmer than either of those 2.

The Spurs won both games Bennett Salvatore officiated in the playoffs so far. Game 1 against the Suns and Game 6 against the Flies

SAGambler
05-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I want Javie. He is fair and won't tolerate any bullshit.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2008, 12:02 PM
It's pretty sad/unfortunate that the referees are common household names around here.

When you're a fan of a team whose played as many playoff games as the Spurs have the last 10 years you get familiar with the refs.

Princess Pimp
05-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Doesn't matter the spursies can't win in NOLA

K-State Spur
05-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Danny Crawford has been known to feed off the momentum of the home crowd on occasion.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-16-2008, 12:39 PM
The Spurs won both games Bennett Salvatore officiated in the playoffs so far. Game 1 against the Suns and Game 6 against the Flies

He probably meant to say Bavetta.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2008, 12:40 PM
I'd say it's much more likely that Bavetta or Rush will call Game 7 than it is that Danny Crawford will. I do think it's possible that Javie will get Game 7.

I'll post more about that in a bit.

GinobiliLooms
05-16-2008, 12:40 PM
I hope its Dan Crawford.

Princess Pimp
05-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Jack Nies

Shaolin-Style
05-16-2008, 12:50 PM
As long as their name isn't Joey Crawford or Violet Palmer, I'm pretty hip.

timvp
05-16-2008, 03:48 PM
As long as Rush and Nies aren't reffing, I'm good.

George Gervin's Afro
05-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I want Javie. He is fair and won't tolerate any bullshit.

I like Javie because he doesn't cave to home crowd pressure..Of course if we play like we have been playing the last 3 times in Nawlins it won't matter who is calling the game..

tlongII
05-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Javie is good as long as you don't piss him off.

DarrinS
05-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Outstanding.

G-Nob
05-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Give me Delaney. He's not scared of the mob which means he won't be scared of any home fans.

easjer
05-16-2008, 04:32 PM
I'd actually be ok with Bavetta - he's fair and even. He inserts himself into games and works to keep them close, but he tends to call things on both ends of the floor and doesn't pander to the home crowd.

Better than Rush or Nies.

Dan Crawford isn't a big fan of the Spurs right now - Javie would be better, I think.

Though I'll add my standard disclaimer - if the Spurs play to their potential, it doesn't matter who calls the game because they'll be the best team regardless. If they play like they played in games 1,2 and 5, then it won't matter who calls, because they can't be helped out by officials.

birdy219
05-16-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm thinking Bavetta. He can be influenced by the crowd sometimes. But he also doesn't see everything that happens. What I like about him is that he is non combative with the players and coaches. What I don't like is that he is Stern's boy toy for the Lakers. He loves them. I just hope that it isn't Kennedy, Rush, or Delaney. They all are intimidated by home crowds and they hate Timmy. However, they like Manu and will give him a call when he is aggressive.
:flag: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt2:

EVAY
05-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Nies and Delaney both hate Timmy. Violet is in luv with Timmy. I wish she would get to call it. Javie is terrible if the Spurs are playing LA or Dallas. Otherwise, he's generally okay...as long as nobody starts whining.

After Crawford the other night, I don't know if anybody could be worse than he was unless Stu Jackson called the game himself.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Here are some thoughts -- I think I can get the list down to about 11 likely candidates at this point. I'll take back my statement about the unlikelihood of Dan Crawford getting Game 7 -- it's a better possibility than I thought -- and note that I do think that Bavetta is likely to be one of the Game 7 officials. Here's the long form of my reasoning (this is truly only for dorks like me who are fascinated by this stuff):

1. It seems clear to me that at least 2, if not all 3, of the Game 7 officials will be what I call "Finals level" officials. I went back and looked at who the officials were in every Game 7 (in any round) since 2001. Of the officials who've called those games (as best as I can tell) only Tom Washington, Bill Spooner, and Greg Willard have been assigned to a Game 7 without already having called Finals games. It's rarer still that such an "inexperienced" official would get a Game 7 of a Conference Semifinal -- Spooner and Willard have Game 7 experience in First Round Game 7's in 2005; Washington worked last year's only Game 7 (UTH @ HOU). That's the only exception I can find and I think it's a safe bet that the officials for Game 7 will all have Finals experience

2. So, who are the officials with Finals experience that are still working at this point? My list is comprised of the following officials:

Dick Bavetta
Mike Callahan
Jim Clark
Dan Crawford
Joey Crawford
Bob Delaney
Joe Derosa
Joe Forte
Ron Garretson
Steve Javie
Ken Mauer
Ed Rush
Bennett Salvatore

Accordingly, I think it's highly likely that we'll see at least 2 of those officials for Game 7.

3. In looking back at past Game 7's in this round (there have been 6 since 2003) and the series in which those games occurred, it seems pretty clear that any official who worked Game 5 or Game 6 is not going to be assigned to Spurs/Hornets again. That would mean no Joey Crawford, Joe Derosa, Joe Forte, Ken Mauer, or Bennett Salvatore. Assuming the above list of 13 is the list of those most likely to call the game, we can whittle the list down to 8, I think:

Bavetta
Callahan
Clark
D. Crawford
Delaney
Garretson
Javie
Rush

4. The league generally has a rule that provides that an official cannot call games in the same city within 14 days of each other. That rule doesn't appear to be hard-and-fast in Game 7 situations, though. In 2006, Javie worked Game 2 of Spurs/Mavs in San Antonio and then worked Game 7 in San Antonio 13 days later. In 2004, Dan Crawford worked Game 2 of Pistons/Nets in Detroit and then worked Game 7 of that series in Detroit about 12 days later. And in 2003, Ed Rush worked Game 2 of Mavericks/Kings in Dallas and then worked Game 7 of that series in Dallas about 10 days later.

Given the lag time, recycling Rush or Callahan for Game 7 would fit the 14 day rule, since Game 7 will be 16 days after Game 1. But eliminating the 14 day rule means that Bavetta, who worked Game 2 (two weeks prior to Game 7) is also a possibility.

5. I had thought it unlikely that an official who did Game 4 would get Game 7 in the same series, but since 2003, that has actually happened 3 times in the 6 Game 7's in the Conference Semifinals (Bavetta in SA/DAL ('06); D. Crawford in PNX/LAC ('06); and Javie in DAL/SAC ('03)). The only other recurrence that has the same frequency is Game 2 officials getting Game 7 of the same series, which has also happened 3 times during that span (Javie in SA/DAL ('06); D. Crawford in DET/NJ ('04); and Rush in DAL/SAC ('03)).

Contrary to my earlier post, I guess Dan Crawford is a good possibility. He won't likely have Game 7 of BOS/CLE (if it happens), though he could get a Game 7 of LAL/UTH.

6. There has only been one 2nd Round Game 7 in the last few years that had a crew comprised of officials who had all worked previous games in the series -- Detroit v. New Jersey in 2004. It would seem unlikely that all 3 officials will be officials who've already done a game in this series. That would seem to suggest that Jim Clark might be a real possibility.

7. If LA/UTH goes 7 games, I'd bet the house that Salvatore has that game, since he's the only crew chief who hasn't had a game yet in that series (meanwhile, Joey's done Game 1 and Game 6 tonight). That's significant because it means that Salvatore is unlikely to do a Game 7 between the Celtics and Cavs; that probably means that one of Rush, Joey Crawford or Javie is likely to be the crew chief for BOS/CLE's potential Game 7, which makes it all the more likely that we'll see Bavetta in Game 7 of SA/NO -- it seems highly unlikely to me that the league would have three Game 7's in this round without Bavetta getting one of them. He could possibly get an LAL/UTH Game 7 (he did Game 3 of that series) but that would mean no Salvatore in LAL/UTH, which wouldn't seem to make much sense.

8. To the extent that the league goes beyond the list of 13 officials with Finals experience, I would think it would be a "younger" official who hasn't yet called a game in this series. That group of "younger" officials would, in my estimation, include:

Sean Corbin
Scott Foster
Monty McCutchen
Tom Washington
Greg Willard
Mark Wunderlich

McCutchen would be out because he called Game 6 and Washington and Wunderlich would each be out because they called Game 2.

9. So, at most, I think the possibilities for the Game 7 crew would include only:

Bavetta
Callahan
Clark
Corbin
D. Crawford
Delaney
Foster
Garretson
Javie
Rush
Willard

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2008, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't worry about Nies. He hasn't officiated a single playoff game in 2008.

It would SHOCK me to no end to see Nies suddenly get a game and have it be a Game 7.

timvp
05-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Awesome work, FWD :tu

Factoring in the likely candidates, what is your Game 7 dream team? I'd want to say Dan Crawford but the Hornets might actually benefit from less fouls called.

It's risky but maybe Bavetta. Bavetta likes to keep games close and the Spurs have won 14 straight close playoff games. Bavetta, Callahan and Delaney might be decent.

50 cent
05-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I love your work FWD. I try to dabble, but you are the expert.

I would be fine with a Bavetta, Jim Clark, Callahan lineup.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2008, 05:12 PM

Factoring in the likely candidates, what is your Game 7 dream team? I'd want to say Dan Crawford but the Hornets might actually benefit from less fouls called.

It's risky but maybe Bavetta. Bavetta likes to keep games close and the Spurs have won 14 straight close playoff games. Bavetta, Callahan and Delaney might be decent.

In a road Game 7, I'd have to go with Javie as at least one of the officials.

I think I'd also go with Mike Callahan, who I still think is the best official in the game, but who is (more than that) one of the officials who seems least influenced by the circumstances surrounding him.

I think I would agree with you about Bavetta, too. Remember that it was Bavetta who blew the whistle on the Manu/Dirk play in 2006 -- obviously, he's not always inclined to be a homer in a huge game and I agree that he's likely to at least be willing to try to keep the game close.

I can see the argument for Delaney, but part of me thinks that of late he's become too much of Bobby Covert, celebrity author, and not as much Bob Delaney, really good NBA official.

50 cent
05-16-2008, 05:18 PM
So is a Javie, Bavetta, Callahan lineup even possible or would they not mix crew chiefs like that?

timvp
05-16-2008, 05:20 PM
In a road Game 7, I'd have to go with Javie as at least one of the officials.

I think I'd also go with Mike Callahan, who I still think is the best official in the game, but who is (more than that) one of the officials who seems least influenced by the circumstances surrounding him.

I think I would agree with you about Bavetta, too. Remember that it was Bavetta who blew the whistle on the Manu/Dirk play in 2006 -- obviously, he's not always inclined to be a homer in a huge game and I agree that he's likely to at least be willing to try to keep the game close. Do you think it's possible to have a Javie, Bavetta, Callahan crew?

I can see the argument for Delaney, but part of me thinks that of late he's become too much of Bobby Covert, celebrity author, and not as much Bob Delaney, really good NBA official.:lol That's true. KSAT had a piece on him where he came across as extremely emo. I don't think an active NBA ref should be selling books and going on a publicity tour. It's just weird.

Nolazach
05-16-2008, 05:21 PM

yeah with Manu and parker the game would take days.

Really why does parker grab his head, every single time he falls??

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2008, 05:24 PM
For whatever it's worth, here are the crews for all Game 7's since 2001:

2001 ECSF (CHA @ MIL) -- Salvatore, Javie, Don Vaden
2001 ECSF (TOR @ PHIL) -- Bavetta, Rush, D. Crawford
2001 ECF (MIL @ PHIL) -- Javie, Hugh Evans, D. Crawford
2002 WCF (LAL @ SAC) -- D. Crawford, Bernie Fryer, Rush
2003 WCFR (PRT @ DAL) -- J. Crawford, Delaney, Javie
2003 ECFR (ORL @ DET) -- D. Crawford, Fryer, Garretson
2003 WCSF (SAC @ DAL) -- Javie, Fryer, Rush
2004 ECFR (NO @ MIA) -- Salvatore, Garretson, Javie
2004 ECSF (NJ @ DET) -- D. Crawford, Garretson, Rush
2004 WCSF (SAC @ MIN) -- Bavetta, Salvatore, Washington
2005 ECFR (IND @ BOS) -- D. Crawford, Delaney, Willard
2005 WCFR (HOU @ DAL) -- Javie, Garretson, Spooner
2005 ECF (DET @ MIA) -- Bavetta, J. Crawford, Rush
2005 NBA FINALS (DET @ SA) -- Bavetta, J. Crawford, Rush
2006 WCFR (LAL @ PNX) -- Javie, Callahan, Forte
2006 ECSF (CLE @ DET) -- J. Crawford, Callahan, Derosa
2006 WCSF (DAL @ SA) -- Bavetta, Javie, Delaney
2006 WCSF (LAC @ PNX) -- D. Crawford, Garretson, Rush
2007 WCFR (UTH @ HOU) -- Fryer, Callahan, Washington
2008 ECFRT (ATL @ BOS) -- D. Crawford, Mauer, Salvatore

EVAY
05-16-2008, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=FromWayDowntown;2504419]In a road Game 7, I'd have to go with Javie as at least one of the officials.

I think I would agree with you about Bavetta, too. Remember that it was Bavetta who blew the whistle on the Manu/Dirk play in 2006 -

I really thought that it was Javie who made that call. Can anyone check? I've hated Javie ever since then because of that call.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2008, 05:31 PM
So is a Javie, Bavetta, Callahan lineup even possible or would they not mix crew chiefs like that?

I'd say it's at least possible.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I think it's worth mentioning again -- it appears from the way that the league's referee assignments are posted, that there are only 6 crew chiefs in this round:

Bavetta
J. Crawford
D. Crawford
Javie
Rush
Salvatore

The Javie, Bavetta, Callahan crew would, therefore, include only 2 crew chiefs, which seems reasonable.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2008, 05:34 PM
I really thought that it was Javie who made that call. Can anyone check? I've hated Javie ever since then because of that call.

My bad!!

I found the video and you're absolutely right. It was Javie -- you can see him walk towards the table and signal the foul . . . .

edit -- Damnit -- I'm not actually going to post that video!!

easjer
05-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Does the fact that Bavetta is reffing tonight's BOS/CLE game impact this? I haven't caught the other officials in that game or the LAL/UTA game.

foodie2
05-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Tonight Bos/CLE: Forte, Bavetta, DeRosa

T Park
05-16-2008, 08:48 PM

Spurs are on the road, so I'd be leaning twords Javie.

Wasn't Bavetta the ref for game 4 though?

T Park
05-16-2008, 08:49 PM
2008 ECFRT (ATL @ BOS) -- D. Crawford, Mauer, Salvatore

Thats a hardcore experienced crew there.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2008, 09:01 PM
That Bavetta is working tonight should have no bearing on whether he'll work on Monday. Given all the time off, I'm sure Bavetta is a good possibility.

And, TPark, that crew makes me think that its highly unlikely that anyone other than a Finals level official will get Game 7 of NO/SA.

ducks
05-16-2008, 10:09 PM
be intersting to see who refs on sunday with boston and cavs

rayray2k8
05-16-2008, 10:41 PM
yeah with Manu and parker the game would take days.

Really why does parker grab his head, every single time he falls??

Because the hornets keep dropping him on his head. :lol

One question though.
What happened to "Hornets in 6"? :wow
If you're not careful, that pic of the spurs fishing, may comeback
to haunt you..

Rick Von Braun
05-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Give me Delaney. He's not scared of the mob which means he won't be scared of any home fans.

:lmao

Princess Pimp
05-17-2008, 12:22 AM
http://arizonasportsfans.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=14805&stc=1&d=1209846297 :rollin

50 cent
05-17-2008, 12:53 AM
That Bavetta is working tonight should have no bearing on whether he'll work on Monday. Given all the time off, I'm sure Bavetta is a good possibility.

And, TPark, that crew makes me think that its highly unlikely that anyone other than a Finals level official will get Game 7 of NO/SA.

It also shows that it is very plausible that 2 crew chiefs will be working a game #7.

J.T.
05-18-2008, 02:16 AM
FWD, I noticed in your list of Game 7 officials from past years that no one official called multiple Game 7s within the same round. Granted, all of those past instance of same-round Game 7s were played on the same day which means my initial observation is practically moot. However, do you think there's a chance that none of the BOS/CLE Game 7 crew will get the Spurs' Game 7?

beyondsane
05-18-2008, 03:40 AM
long time lurker, first time poster.

just checked the nba website and they have listed the Bos/Cavs referees. They are Salvatore, Mauer, and Rush.

Looks like we could get two or maybe all of Bavetta, Javie, and D. Crawford.

Now if we can just show up in the third quarter.

timvp
05-18-2008, 03:44 AM
long time lurker, first time poster.

just checked the nba website and they have listed the Bos/Cavs referees. They are Salvatore, Mauer, and Rush.

Looks like we could get two or maybe all of Bavetta, Javie, and D. Crawford.

Now if we can just show up in the third quarter.Welcome. That's hopefully good news about Rush. Rush is the one ref who concerned me the most.

Three out of Javie, D. Crawford, Callahan would be the best crew. Bavetta with Javie would also be decent enough.

BOHOLANO#21
05-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Hahaha. Blood only.

yup. no blood no foul.

50 cent
05-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Rush is out. Thank God!!!

FromWayDowntown
05-18-2008, 07:45 AM
FWD, I noticed in your list of Game 7 officials from past years that no one official called multiple Game 7s within the same round. Granted, all of those past instance of same-round Game 7s were played on the same day which means my initial observation is practically moot. However, do you think there's a chance that none of the BOS/CLE Game 7 crew will get the Spurs' Game 7?

If those games weren't on the same day, they were likely on consecutive days and the league doesn't usually assign its officials to playoff games on back-to-back days.

I feel almost 100% confident that the officials working BOS/CLE game 7 won't be working NO/SA Game 7.

ElNono
05-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Here's the crew for today's game in Boston:

Cleveland @ Boston
B. Salvatore
K. Mauer
E. Rush

TampaDude
05-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Here's the crew for today's game in Boston:

Cleveland @ Boston
B. Salvatore
K. Mauer
E. Rush

That means we should see Javie on Monday night...I hope so...just give us a fairly called game, and the Spurs will win, I guarantee it!!!

ElNono
05-18-2008, 11:16 AM
That means we should see Javie on Monday night...I hope so...just give us a fairly called game, and the Spurs will win, I guarantee it!!!

Or Bavetta. If it's Dick, I have a feeling we're going to need to play a whole lot better than if Javie would be there.

LakerLanny
05-18-2008, 11:35 AM
At least you will likely avoid Salvatore and/or Mauer since they will be fixing Game 7 for Boston today.

In looking back at the refs in your series, I am guessing Bavetta is most likely as the crew cheif. Probably throw in a bad ref like Jim Clark or Monty McCutheon or Mark Wunderlich and then one black guy for political correctness who won't make many calls. Maybe Tom Washington.

TampaDude
05-18-2008, 11:40 AM
At least you will likely avoid Salvatore and/or Mauer since they will be fixing Game 7 for Boston today.

In looking back at the refs in your series, I am guessing Bavetta is most likely as the crew cheif. Probably throw in a bad ref like Jim Clark or Monty McCutheon and then one black guy for political correctness who won't make many calls. Maybe Tom Washington.

Don't forget Rush...we won't have to worry about him, either...Bavetta would be okay, but I'd prefer Javie or Dan Crawford...just get us some refs that won't cave to the crowd and will call things fairly (HINT: Call the damn O-fouls on CP3), and the Spurs got this. :toast

Budkin
05-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Javie and Danny Crawford = Spurs win.

FromWayDowntown
05-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Spurs play well = Spurs win

Spurs play poorly = no official can make a loss avoidable

Budkin
05-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Spurs play well = Spurs win

Spurs play poorly = no official can make a loss avoidable

Yes but no matter how well the Spurs play the refs can still make sure the Hornets hang around with a chance to win. That's why the officiating in the NBA is a fucking joke.

ducks
05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
the refs are not that bad for this game

TampaDude
05-19-2008, 01:34 PM
the refs are not that bad for this game

+1

Javie, Bavetta, and Foster...should be a fairly called game. :toast