PDA

View Full Version : Finger: Hornets Have Not Felt Pressure Of A Game 7

duncan228
05-16-2008, 01:29 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/mfinger/stories/MYSA051608.05D.COL.BKNfinger.spurs.10539535a.html

Mike Finger: Hornets have not felt pressure of a Game 7

The wait will be unendurable. So will four days of relentless, nails-on-the-chalkboard over-analysis. Then there will be an arena rocking harder than Bourbon Street, and memories of three recent third-quarter meltdowns, and a determined, well-rested David West greeting them inside.

So how will the Spurs overcome all of this?

The same way they made it through Thursday night.

“The only thing you can do,” Bruce Bowen said, shrugging his shoulders, “is will your way through the madness.”

That, more than even Tim Duncan’s toughness, Manu Ginobili’s magic and Tony Parker’s quickness, has always been these Spurs’ biggest strength. They weathered bad crème brûlée in Dallas in 2003 and near-disaster in Detroit in 2005 and the mayhem that was the Phoenix series in 2007, and every time they put their head down and forged on.

The madness never stood a chance.

So it was no surprise that on Thursday, when things started getting chippy and the season hung in the balance, it was the Spurs who looked like they’d been there before. West would say later that he thought the New Orleans Hornets “lost our cool,” and he was including himself in that summation. After he was charged with three fouls in the span of a minute, he reacted like Gregg Popovich getting a delay-of-game warning.

Popovich, for his part, was cooler on this night, and watching his team get a few calls probably helped. But even before the game, he appeared as relaxed as he had all series, and that was at least partly because he knew the pressure of an elimination game was something his team was almost certain to thrive on.

“It’s a little bit different than golf,” Popovich said. “In golf, I can visibly see my hands shake when I’m trying to make that 2-footer for a Budweiser.”

Someone asked Popovich if the Spurs felt more pressure on the brink of a second-round elimination than they did before Game 7 of the NBA Finals, and he laughed the question off.

“In that locker room,” Popovich said, “pressure is a good thing.”

We still don’t know what kind of thing pressure is in the Hornets locker room. Their storybook run, up to this point, has been largely madness-free, with the possible exception of a flaming ring of fire and a court covered in fire-extinguisher dust. The Dallas Mavericks never pushed them in the first round, and each victory against the Spurs in New Orleans came with the knowledge that they were assured of at least another chance the next time out.

Given that, it’s no wonder they’ve been so loose.

But now?

Maybe the Hornets will discover that they love pressure as much as the Spurs do. But there’s one major difference.

“We know what we’re facing,” Duncan said.

The Hornets don’t. Byron Scott said before Game 5 in New Orleans that his young team didn’t fully understand the situation they were in, and Scott saw that as a good thing. But in a Game 7, wouldn’t a little institutional knowledge be an advantage.

The Spurs hope it is, even if the topic of experience makes some of them chuckle.

“So far,” Parker said, “it hasn’t helped us that much.”

It could be that it won’t fully reveal itself until Monday night, with the crowd screaming and Chris Paul darting through traffic and West swishing jumpers and Super Hugo flicking his lighter.

There will be madness, and there will be the Spurs, shrugging their shoulders.

The only thing they can do is will their way through it.

50 cent
05-16-2008, 01:44 AM
:tu

Brutalis
05-16-2008, 01:47 AM
"Game 7 Pressure" I know it exists but with everything the Hornets have done already does anyone think we will feel any pressure?

WildcardManu
05-16-2008, 01:48 AM
+1111111111111111111

dknights411
05-16-2008, 03:21 AM
"Game 7 Pressure" I know it exists but with everything the Hornets have done already does anyone think we will feel any pressure?

The game 7 pressure will be negated by the fact that the game is being played in New Orleans. This is all on the Spurs. If they don't execute their gameplan, the season's over. That's it and that's all.

spurscenter
05-16-2008, 05:11 AM
The game 7 pressure will be negated by the fact that the game is being played in New Orleans. This is all on the Spurs. If they don't execute their gameplan, the season's over. That's it and that's all.

The hornets SCORE TOO EASILY

spurs defense is not great right now STILL

carrecaminos
05-16-2008, 05:20 AM
It's all in our hands and heads.

We will win if we play ball like men not pussies.

Fuck the bees.

mystargtr34
05-16-2008, 05:38 AM
These next 3 days are gonna be tough to endure... and then the game..

Its gonna be rough.

But this is how we ride.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 06:11 AM
How big was Rudy Gay's three pointer now?

dg7md
05-16-2008, 06:54 AM
How big was Rudy Gay's three pointer now?

The same as like, every other loss that happened to us.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 07:00 AM
The same as like, every other loss that happened to us.

Are you suggesting Spurs should have gone 82-0? That's interesting.

Bruno
05-16-2008, 07:32 AM
The pressure of a game 7 is something special. It's also the first time that Hornets will face elimination.
I don't expect them to fold under the pressure but I'm convinced Spurs will give them a better opposition than in the previous games at NO. If Hornets want to win they will have to fight hard, Spurs won't make then any gift in this game.

5 rings
05-16-2008, 08:37 AM
this article attempts to make a good point, but it really wont come down to experience.

the spurs had never been in a game 7 before when we beat the pistons (who were the kings of game 7's and winning them).

we've never played a game 7 on the road...so hopefully we can go in there and leave everything on the court and get a W

SpurOutofTownFan
05-16-2008, 08:41 AM
My point last night - this is the first real elimination game for the Hornets in the entire playoffs.

SAGambler
05-16-2008, 08:52 AM
West better be a "quick healer" if he is going to be "swishing jumpers".

I look for game 7 to really get "chippie". Maybe Wests' "I never committed a foul in my life and how dare you call one on me" attitude will get his ass tossed.

Trap Paul often enough and he will try to "bully" his way in.

I can see the Spurs winning in NO. Especially in a game 7 with everything on the line.

degenerate_gambler
05-16-2008, 09:49 AM
West better be a "quick healer" if he is going to be "swishing jumpers".

he's not that hurt...

if NO was in the game last nite when he 'hurt' his back, he would have been back on the court after the timeout.

Spurs Brazil
05-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Someone asked Popovich if the Spurs felt more pressure on the brink of a second-round elimination than they did before Game 7 of the NBA Finals, and he laughed the question off.

“In that locker room,” Popovich said, “pressure is a good thing.”

:lobt:

Anti.Hero
05-16-2008, 11:31 PM
If the Hornets were going to crack, they would have done it by now.

If it comes down to the Hornets having to execute/defend a 4 second game winning shot or something, then maybe they might choke.

td4mvp21
05-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Who cares? They hadn't felt the pressure of a Game 5 with the series tied 2-2 and they did just fine against us.

boutons_
05-16-2008, 11:44 PM
West's back will probably still be somewhat cramped, but 3 days is quite a bit of time for back cramps to attenuate. Nearly all garden-variety lumbar cramps go away in 10 -14 days, with or without treatment.

They could give him a cortisone shot between 4th and 5th lumbar. Was miraculous for me after I laid in a clinic bed for a week, and still stiff as a board after a week.

If Tim guards him again, and as aggressively as he did in Game6, West will again be marginalized, back or no back.

My biggest fear is that the Spurs go cold and shoot in mid 30s to 40%, like Utah's 35% Friday night.