PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Udoka Comes Through In Role Of Sixth Man

duncan228
05-16-2008, 01:33 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051608.05D.BKNspurs.udoka.1053df734.html

Udoka comes through in role of sixth man
By Mike Monroe

Bruce Bowen was deep into a discussion of the defensive work by Spurs teammate, Ime Udoka, during the Spurs’ 99-80 victory over the Hornets in Game 6 when assistant coach Brett Brown leaned in to whisper a pointed question.
“How many points did Peja score in the second half?” Brown asked, with no need to be told the answer.

Bowen rolled his eyes and smiled.

“He knows it was zero, or he never would have stuck his head in here to interrupt an interview,” Bowen said.

It was Brown’s way of bragging about Bowen while needling him, just a bit. Bowen had shared the defensive matchup on Stojakovic with Udoka in the second half after the Hornets’ forward torched the Spurs for 13 points in the first two quarters.

Udoka’s ability to hold Stojakovic in check in the second half allowed Bowen to spent more time defending Hornets point guard Chris Paul. Indeed, Udoka’s ability to handle bigger forwards was the biggest reason the Spurs signed him as a free agent last summer.

What nobody expected was that Udoka would become the Spurs’ most consistent scorer off the bench in this series after Spurs coach Gregg Popovich put Manu Ginobili back in the starting lineup after Game 2.

Udoka continued his torrid shooting in Game 6. He was perfect on five shots, including three from 3-point range, scoring 13 points. In the past three games he has made nine of 12 3-pointers and scored 37 points.

“He gave us a great lift, making big shots to get a lead of six to 10 points,” said Ginobili, who earned the NBA’s Sixth Man Award for giving the Spurs a lift off the bench for most of the regular season. “Then, defensively he was very steady, solid. He played great defense. He was a great contributor today.”

In fact, Udoka was the Spurs’ sixth man in Game 6. He was the first reserve to enter the game, replacing Bowen with 6:19 left in the first period after Stojakovic had scored seven of the Hornets’ first 15 points.

It was in the third period, though, that he put his imprint on the game. Entering the game with 4:44 left in the quarter and the Spurs ahead by eight, he ended a 21/2 minute Spurs drought with his second 3-pointer of the game.

Then, after the Hornets got a fast break rolling after a Tim Duncan miss, he sprinted back to block Jannero Pargo’s layup with 52 seconds left in the period. The block started a Spurs fast break that Duncan finished off with a layin, pushing the Spurs’ lead to 15 points.

“Whatever can help contribute, I do,” Udoka said. “Hustle plays like that contribute, but also knocking down shots takes pressure off guys.”

Popovich understood fully how much Udoka had contributed to a vital Spurs victory.

“Our best players played well and were supported by the bench,” Popovich said. “Ime was one of those guys. If you gain off the bench and not lose, it adds a lot. He played well at both ends of the floor.”

Borosai
05-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Ime Udoka!

Tyler_Durden
05-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Udoka's block was sick.

whottt
05-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Udoka has been great the last 2 games...but I've seen him go from great to bonehead in a matter of minutes several times this season...I'll be looking for extensive minutes for him in game 7, but I also hope Pop keeps an eye on him in case he starts trying to do to much.

I will say this...he has a knack for playing his best when the Spurs seem to be playing their worst...it's something to remember.

And he's turned Bonzi Wells into a skidmark in this series...he's actually got Bonzi pretty intimidated right now with his physicality. His eyes light up any time he sees Bonzi come into the game...

Bonzi = solved

mVp
05-16-2008, 01:47 AM
What a game he had, not bad really... not bad at all :)

Manudona
05-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Udoka is the selfish player in the NBA.

mystargtr34
05-16-2008, 05:32 AM
Ive been waitin for Ime to fully break through... maybe this series is the series we all say was the making of Ime Udoka for the Spurs.

to21
05-16-2008, 06:49 AM
We need more Ime in game 7 if we hope to win.

timvp
05-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Udoka has been great the last 2 games...but I've seen him go from great to bonehead in a matter of minutes several times this season...I'll be looking for extensive minutes for him in game 7, but I also hope Pop keeps an eye on him in case he starts trying to do to much. Exactly. Udoka is a wildcard. He doesn't have the greatest shot selection, which is both good and bad. He'll shoot and make shots every other shooter on the team would pass. That's great when the shots go in the basket ... but when he misses, it demoralizes the team and ignites runs by the opposition.

I will say this...he has a knack for playing his best when the Spurs seem to be playing their worst...it's something to remember. That's a weird yet true observation. The shots Udoka hits are when everyone is sucking and the team looks to be circling the drain. The problem is he'll then miss regular shots when the Spurs need him just to be solid.

And he's turned Bonzi Wells into a skidmark in this series...he's actually got Bonzi pretty intimidated right now with his physicality. His eyes light up any time he sees Bonzi come into the game...

Bonzi = solvedYeah, it's sweet justice to see Bonzi try to back down Udoka and not being able to make Udoka budge. Then Bonzi is forced to shoot a fadeaway 15-footer that has about a 20% chance of going in. What sucks is the refs like to call Udoka for fouls when all he's doing is holding his ground. It's like refs are used to seeing Bonzi have his way in the low post and think it must be a foul when someone can actually body him up.

Udoka might not be able to jump over a phone book and he's pretty damn slow ... but he's deceptively strong as hell.

wildbill2u
05-16-2008, 08:14 AM
udoka's shot falls when he doesnt think and hesitate.

SAGambler
05-16-2008, 09:22 AM
udoka's shot falls when he doesnt think and hesitate.

I think that is the thing for him. Don't think about it, just let er fly. Guy was great off the bench last night. Let's hope he does a "repeat" on Monday.

smeagol
05-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Udoka was THE player last night.

SenorSpur
05-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Udoka might not be able to jump over a phone book and he's pretty damn slow ... but he's deceptively strong as hell.

Even when he played for Portland, I wondered about his hops. I didn't realize he was devoid of jumping ability. But yes, he is one strong, physical mofo.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Exactly. Udoka is a wildcard. He doesn't have the greatest shot selection, which is both good and bad. He'll shoot and make shots every other shooter on the team would pass. That's great when the shots go in the basket ... but when he misses, it demoralizes the team and ignites runs by the opposition.

I thought Udoka made good choices last night. He passed the ball when he was covered and took his shots in the flow of the offense. He's one of those guys that has me screaming "what the f....!" one minute and saying "nice play" the next. A little like Stephen Jackson used to do to me, except when SJax would go on a tear it would usually be pretty amazing while Udoka's "tears" are usually a shot or two.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-16-2008, 12:39 PM
If you gave him a headband and squinted a little bit when you looked at him, you'd think that was Stephen Jackson out there last night. He plays with the lack of fear as Jax, it was great to see.

With that lack of fear, there's going to be some bonehead moments. I just hope that the Spurs recognize and work through that (oh, and that Dan Fegan isn't his agent).

tlongII
05-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Since when did timvp start agreeing with whottt???

Ime's a solid player. Probably my favorite ex-Blazer in the league. We miss him.

SPARKY
05-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Nuts of steel. Spurs will need his D and a few 3s from him in Game 7.

objective
05-16-2008, 03:35 PM
great game by Ime.

And to think, all of Ime's production at 1/3rd the salary of Matt Bonner.