PDA

View Full Version : CP3: "Thank God we get to go back to New Orleans for Game 7."

Shaolin-Style
05-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Lets hope this swagger about homecourt works against them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080516

by Marc Stein

"SAN ANTONIO -- To get to the first Game 7 on the road of Tim Duncan's professional life, there was bound to be only one sure path.

In this repetitive series?

You could only assume that what happened in the third quarter, as usual with these teams, would decide whether Duncan would get one more trip to the French Quarter.

As San Antonio's Tony Parker helpfully observed: "The whole series, man. Third quarter looks like it's pivotal."

Fatal might be a better word after virtually the same scenario played out again late Thursday. It was an unreservedly hideous third quarter, this time endured by the New Orleans Hornets, which helped San Antonio pull away for a 99-80 rout that, at the very least, takes Team Duncan's bid to win back-to-back titles for the first time through to Monday night.

In the intervening three days until the decider, expect to hear loads about how the playoff rookies from New Orleans have outscored the reigning champs by a tidy count of 93-46 at home in the third quarters of their three victories ... and how the Hornets thoroughly buckled in the third quarter of a Game 6 that could have eliminated the Spurs.

"That third quarter was ugly," Hornets guard Chris Paul conceded.

"Ugly."

He said it twice for a reason. The scenes after halftime were that unsightly and dispiriting for the visitors, who suddenly might need this forthcoming 72-hour break as much as the "very old team" they're playing, as Parker jokingly called the Spurs.

Coming out of intermission feeling reasonably fortunate -- given that San Antonio shot 71 percent from the field in the first quarter and led by only seven points (58-51) at the break -- New Orleans promptly botched the inbounds pass to open the second half, essentially gifting Parker a layup.

"I looked at that as a bad sign right off the bat," Hornets coach Byron Scott said.

Not long after, Paul was called for two offensive fouls in a span of 17 seconds, followed by three fouls on David West in a span of 28 seconds. The flurry of whistles naturally enraged the Hornets, saddling both of their stars with four personals each and triggering the spiral that helped San Antonio stretch its lead to 78-63 entering the fourth.

Manu Ginobili's fifth and sixth 3-pointers to open the fourth quarter quickly pushed that lead to 21 before West's evening somehow got worse. Unaware that Robert Horry was setting a hard back screen behind him, West leaped to block Ginobili's entry pass and wound up landing back-first into the cagey Horry. The hit pulverized him, knocking West to the floor and required him to be carried to the locker room with 10:11 to play.

"I don't know what to say. That third quarter was ugly. Thank God we get to go back to New Orleans for Game 7."

-- Hornets point guard Chris Paul talking about his team getting outscored 20-12 in the pivotal period "

Rapper
05-16-2008, 03:12 AM
f**k you cp3..........

SnakeBoy
05-16-2008, 03:16 AM
He also said that he was just wanting the game to be over.

Hopefully they are putting a little too much faith in home court. They won't see Pop clear the bench at any point in a game seven.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-16-2008, 03:17 AM
I hope there's some subtle subconscious hints in his statements.

Relief that homecourt will be the key.

Budkin
05-16-2008, 04:09 AM
Anything can happen in a Game 7.

1Parker1
05-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Those foul calls helped the Spurs. I don't know if they'll be called in Game 7 though.

Ginofan
05-16-2008, 08:16 AM
I hope he doesn't think just because he's at home doesn't mean he doesn't have to give an effort to win....well on second thought that would be a GOOD thing for us.

pbandjnocrust
05-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Those foul calls helped the Spurs. I don't know if they'll be called in Game 7 though.

I was thinking the samething. They have to play through it, something the Hornets couldn't do last night.

wildbill2u
05-16-2008, 08:25 AM
We will see if the wily veterans can suck it up and take it away from the newbies in game 7.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 08:29 AM
I don't know if they'll be called in Game 7 though.

It's difficult to accept the reality that you might be right.

Lebowski Brickowski
05-16-2008, 08:38 AM
It's difficult to accept the reality that you might be right.

Yep. Because the calls were legit -- no matter what city.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Yep. Because the calls were legit -- no matter what city.

I know they were legit, but I don't think the same plays would be called in New Orleans the same way. Would any official in his right mind call two push offs on Chris Paul in that short a period of time? Chris pushed off the second time because he didn't believe the refs had the balls to whistle him again even in San Antonio. Like I said, it's hard to accept, but it's reality.

slowchild25
05-16-2008, 08:51 AM
You people read way to much into this stuff. What Paul said:

"I don't know what to say. That third quarter was ugly. Thank God we get to go back to New Orleans for Game 7."

What you guys interpret that as:

"Wow the refs screwed us tonight because we played in San Antonio I can't wait to go to New Orleans where we don't have to try and just automatically win somehow"

What Paul really meant:

"We sucked ass in the 3rd quarter. Thank god we get to leave this place where we are 0-3 and suck for some place we are 6-0 this year in the playoffs.

degenerate_gambler
05-16-2008, 08:52 AM

you can bet SA isn't going to get much help at all from the zebras Monday.

JamStone
05-16-2008, 08:54 AM
I doubt his comments mean he thinks game 7 is in the bag and that the Hornets don't need to try since they're playing at home.

SenorSpur
05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
I wonder in the backs of their minds, if the Hornets really thought that.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
What Paul really meant:

"Wow the refs screwed us tonight because we played in San Antonio. Thank god we were able to get the tiebreaker in the regular season which allows us to have a game seven where we are 6-0 this year in the playoffs."

SpurOutofTownFan
05-16-2008, 09:03 AM
In my book this guy will forever go down in history as a lame ass individual, with no class and good shoes.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-16-2008, 09:04 AM

You make it look like the Spurs were being helped.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 09:14 AM
You make it look like the Spurs were being helped.

Not letting the Hornets get away with pushing off helps the Spurs, does it not?

dmac
05-16-2008, 09:47 AM

I'm sure they won't be called that way. It'll be home cookin cajun style.

Hopefully that won't matter, we can make shots, play great D and take the game out of the refs hands.

GO SPURS GO

Drive for 5!!!!

:flag:

JamStone
05-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Paul should have said: "It sucks we can't play game 7 in San Antonio. That would be much better for us."

DarrinS
05-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I think he's just commenting on the 2008 playoffs. Who can win on the road other than Detroit?

The refs have been homeriffic (in both cities).

ducks
05-16-2008, 10:37 AM
if the hornets think they can win just because they are at home they will lose
they have to play more aggressive then sa and slow tp and duncan + manu down

alon504
05-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I don't know if you all notice, at all, when the games are played in New Orleans, but, there really is a crowd factor in New Orleans Arena for the Hornets. It is very loud...I mean migraine headache loud. I take ibuprofen before the games, now, as I got a serious nauseating headache after one of the games in Round 1. The fans in New Orleans stand for almost the entire game....all you have to do is look at the crowd on your TV. You see it. The environment is very hostile.
Why do we boooooo? Some people, I've seen call it tacky, annoying, classless,.....etc. The boooooooos came out of nowhere one game when we played, yes, the Spurs, in the New Orleans Arena. We started booooing the Spurs in the third quarter, and it started to get really loud (the boos), and next thing we know it started to fluster the Spurs. The crowd could clearly see it---it was causing turnovers and confusion. So, the boos kept getting louder and louder and the Spurs kept turning the ball over and making mental errors....and bam, the Hornets slammed the Spurs in that Wednesday game in March 100-75. The boooos went away after that, for awhile, until we played Boston the night before Easter. The exact same thing happened in the Fourth Quarter and the Hornets came from behind and beat the Celtics 113-106 (we were losing by almost 20 points in the third quarter). The Celtics made no less than 7 or 8 turnovers in the Fourth Quarter during those boooooos that flustered them and we get fast points off of almost all of the turnovers. That's why we booooooo....and it will be loud on Monday. To be honest, the Spurs are probably used to it, but, we'll still booooooo.

2easy
05-16-2008, 11:04 AM
I hope he doesn't think just because he's at home doesn't mean he doesn't have to give an effort to win....well on second thought that would be a GOOD thing for us.

Yea, thats exactly what he's thinking. Jesus H. You guys are reaching.

DazedAndConfused
05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
It's not just the crowd.

The Hornet's defense at home is immaculate. Their rotations, perfect. When Pop himself is giving praise to a team's defense that's one hell of a compliment.

2easy
05-16-2008, 11:08 AM
you can bet SA isn't going to get much help at all from the zebras Monday.

I can see y'all are already warming up the excuse machine. Fact is, this series has been called shitty. Hell, y'all have a thread about bad calls, so dont say Hornets whine because you are also the reigning champs in that.

DarrinS
05-16-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't know if you all notice, at all, when the games are played in New Orleans, but, there really is a crowd factor in New Orleans Arena for the Hornets. It is very loud...I mean migraine headache loud.

All that booing is nauseating. I have to turn my TV volume way down. Can't you guys get some thunder sticks or something? I would think that would get old doing that for 3 hours.

George Gervin's Afro
05-16-2008, 11:13 AM
CP is glad to have game 7 in the Big Easy.. I have no problem with that..

2easy
All that booing is nauseating. I have to turn my TV volume way down. Can't you guys get some thunder sticks or something? I would think that would get old doing that for 3 hours.

It does, for the opposition, thats why we do it.

PS. Those f'n thundersticks should be banned. They're ridiculous.

degenerate_gambler
I can see y'all are already warming up the excuse machine. Fact is, this series has been called shitty. Hell, y'all have a thread about bad calls, so dont say Hornets whine because you are also the reigning champs in that.

No excuses here, moron. The other series notwithstanding, the home team in this series has been the aggressor in every game and that's the team that tends to get more calls, not the passive or tentative one.

Avitus1
05-16-2008, 11:14 AM
New Orleans Game 7....

This is where we fight, This is where they DIE!

TampaDude
05-16-2008, 11:19 AM
The Spurs need to come out gunning in the first quarter of Game 7 and punch the Hornets in the mouth...get a big lead early and never let up...I want to see a game like Game 3 against the Suns...crush their will, take their heart...it's the only way the Spurs can avoid getting blown out in the second half. If the game is close at halftime, the Spurs are done. They need to be up by at least 15-16 points at halftime to have a chance to win Game 7.

Just my .02...