PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Hornets - Next great rivalry?

Axl Van Dam
05-16-2008, 02:30 AM
:wakeup With our chief rivals Suns and Mavericks both on the way down, do you think the Hornets will be our chief rival next season?

WildcardManu
05-16-2008, 02:31 AM
ummmm... no, upstart team, who knows how they will be next season

Guajalote
05-16-2008, 02:34 AM
Cue Dazed And Confused:

"Man you guys are old. Kobe, Pao, and Bynum blah blah blah blah blah"

jag
05-16-2008, 03:13 AM
ummmm... no, upstart team, who knows how they will be next season

I'll take a wild guess and say they're gonna be just fine next year, as will the Suns and the Mavericks. I don't think we're as far ahead of the heap as we like to think, let's just concentrate on the Hornets for now.

rayray2k8
05-16-2008, 03:19 AM
If the spurs lose, yes.

SnakeBoy
05-16-2008, 04:28 AM
Yeah they have to win first. Otherwise they're just another wannabe. If we get to WCF's we'll see a real rivalry.

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2008, 04:59 AM
they are on the rise while we are on the decline, do the maths it cant be a rivalry

raspsa
05-16-2008, 05:02 AM
You have to factor in Portland. they have just as much potential as NO, and possibly even more talented.. the Blazers are the team of the future IMO.

Peja
05-16-2008, 06:30 AM
hmm no....cause you guys are finished...over....finito......its like that they say in mexico??No mas...bye bye

rivalry is build on numerous gret series. not one

hornets will fight for the ring the next decade and i expect a few

you guys will have bigger and bigger problems

the teams in west are better now than what you were used to before.....and you guys will get only older from now on

ThomasGranger
05-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Having a talented team is one thing. Keeping it together is another. The Spurs have done what most teams can't. Don't be so sure the Hornets will.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Fine with me, because it means the Spurs are still contending for titles for the next five to seven years.

genomefreak13
05-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Nope. No flare between them (yet). Great rivalry requires players pushing each other's face. Miami and New York did it. Same with boston and lakers. And just recently - Phoenix and San Antonio.

A great rivalry requires that the teams compete as almost the same level of play - meaning most of the time, the games is pretty damn close. Usually decided by last minute baskets, passes, rebounds, blocks etc. Having a series where every win is a blowout isn't what you call exciting. Definitely not one of the classics that must be remembered.

SAGambler
05-16-2008, 09:16 AM
A lot could depend on this next game. If the Hornets win, they will have put the champs down, and regardless of how they end the season will be full of confidence next year.

If the Spurs beat them on their own court in game 7....Who knows what could happen to that young team. They could go into a downfall, pointing fingers at one another, pointing fingers at the coach. They could just go back to being "the Hornets" that we have known for a few years now.

pawe
05-16-2008, 10:20 AM
No. But, if the Lakers and the Spurs would meet at the WCF then I think that is the rivalry revisited.

MadDog73
05-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Lakers and Spurs still the best rivalry.

There's no history with the Hornets yet, and there's no guarantee we'll meet in the future or that the games will be so (un)even.

Honestly, without a single close game, I can't really call this a good series. This will be blasphemy, but all the games have been a little boring. Either team wins by a blowout... not good drama, not a good rivalry.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-16-2008, 10:43 AM
hmm no....cause you guys are finished...over....finito......its like that they say in mexico??No mas...bye bye

rivalry is build on numerous gret series. not one

hornets will fight for the ring the next decade and i expect a few

you guys will have bigger and bigger problems

the teams in west are better now than what you were used to before.....and you guys will get only older from now on

Are you finished? Allow me to retort.

a) There's something called a shift key. It makes capital letters. Look for it on your keyboard.

b) "gret"? What language is that? Mexican?

c) Do you follow the league at all? Are you aware that the Spurs have a great reputation for turning over their team and finding young talent overseas? Do you know that they have two young bigs waiting in the wings -- Splitter who's doing well in the Euro league, and Mahinmi who tore up the D-league? And are you aware that Tony Parker is only 25 years old? Not to mention that the Hornets have Chris Paul for only two more years before he makes the inevitable jump to a big-city team.

TDMVPDPOY
05-16-2008, 10:51 AM
it cant be a rivalry when the opposing team runs up the score in scrub minutes when the game is clearly over.....NOH knows best

Peja
05-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Are you finished? Allow me to retort.

a) There's something called a shift key. It makes capital letters. Look for it on your keyboard.

b) "gret"? What language is that? Mexican?

c) Do you follow the league at all? Are you aware that the Spurs have a great reputation for turning over their team and finding young talent overseas? Do you know that they have two young bigs waiting in the wings -- Splitter who's doing well in the Euro league, and Mahinmi who tore up the D-league? And are you aware that Tony Parker is only 25 years old? Not to mention that the Hornets have Chris Paul for only two more years before he makes the inevitable jump to a big-city team.

i find it soooo funny that the only thing you could questionin mypost is that i dont use capital letters and that my english isnt perfect :-) hahahahahahaha

ohhhh is parker 25...really....wow you have such a good future!

parker and two NO NAMES from a league clearly below the level of nba....wow you are going to DOMINATE the future....!

the only guy that kept you in is duncan...everything is centered around him....without him you are nothing ,,,and i dont want to call him future

chris paul is getting a new deal in NO

damn what a bad reply that was ! :-)

Russ
05-16-2008, 11:01 AM
The "next rivalry" for the Spurs usually never materializes.

It was going to Dallas after '06 -- they had young players on the way up. The Spurs couldn't match up. Then they were gone.

Or Golden State. Same scenario.

One good year by a young talented team does not necessarily translate to continued, long-term success.

Team's that "build" rather than simply burst upon the scene seem to have more future potential. (In other words, teams that rocket to prominence with guys like Jason Terry, Stephen Jackson and even David West seem to implode rather than progress over time.)

O-Factor
05-16-2008, 11:35 AM
i find it soooo funny that the only thing you could questionin mypost is that i dont use capital letters and that my english isnt perfect :-) hahahahahahaha

ohhhh is parker 25...really....wow you have such a good future!

parker and two NO NAMES from a league clearly below the level of nba....wow you are going to DOMINATE the future....!

the only guy that kept you in is duncan...everything is centered around him....without him you are nothing ,,,and i dont want to call him future

chris paul is getting a new deal in NO

damn what a bad reply that was ! :-)

An even worse reply ^

No matter what the hornets do the "next decade" as you say, they will never snif anything close to the 5 or 6 championships the Spurs will have when the Duncan era is over. And YES, Paul is jumping ship, just like Lebron is, just like Wade is, Thats the way the NBA is now. West will be gone too. They will both want max deals and wont find that in NO.

:rolleyes. You laugh at Parker as if he doesn't have any skill or has accomplished nothing. That tells me right there you don't know shit about basketball.

The Spurs dont rebuild, they RELOAD. Duncan has at least 2 more years after this of dominant play, Parker AND Gino are in their prime. The Spurs are labled old because of their role players. With the influx of new talent we have comming in (Spiltter and Mahinmi) and some young free agent pick ups we'll be back laying the wood on the hornets next year.

hater
05-16-2008, 11:37 AM
its not a rivalry until both teams beat each other in the playoffs.

Suns-Spurs was never a rivalry. Suns are like our little brother who we always beat up. how is that a rivalry?

Johnny RIngo
05-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Peja Stojakovic = poor man's Hedo Turkoglu

Peja
05-16-2008, 11:40 AM
An even worse reply ^

No matter what the hornets do the "next decade" as you say, they will never snif anything close to the 5 or 6 championships the Spurs will have when the Duncan era is over. And YES, Paul is jumping ship, just like Lebron is, just like Wade is, Thats the way the NBA is now. West will be gone too. They will both want max deals and wont find that in NO.

:rolleyes. You laugh at Parker as if he doesn't have any skill or has accomplished nothing. That tells me right there you don't know shit about basketball.

The Spurs dont rebuild, they RELOAD. Duncan has at least 2 more years after this of dominant play, Parker AND Gino are in their prime. The Spurs are labled old because of their role players. With the influx of new talent we have comming in (Spiltter and Mahinmi) and some young free agent pick ups we'll be back laying the wood on the hornets next year.

WOW so you admit you are in your prime and still got played out by new orleans???

thank you

everyhting i needed to know

alon504
05-16-2008, 11:44 AM
We may develop a rivalry with the Spurs....we seem to have more of a rivalry with the Rockets and the Mavs. Actually, the Saints have a pretty significant rivalry with Dallas, as well....have had one for quite a few years now.

austinlakepirate
05-16-2008, 12:01 PM
No

Rivalries don't happen as the result of one series. Even a 7 game series. The Spurs have rivaries with Phoenix and LA because those are the teams we've come up against year after year. We didn't win all of those battles. Rivalries evolve over time.

Someone made the comment that the Hornets are an upstart team. Maybe they are. I'm not 100% shure what upstart means. If it means that they are being ranked with the big boys even though they haven't paid their dues. It's true. But that doesn't mean they don't belong here.

After wasting Dallas in the first round and hanging with the Spurs this far, it's clear that they are for real - right now. They'll be real bad asses in a year or 2 with more experience and possibly a big man.