PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Hornets Game 6

timvp
05-16-2008, 07:18 AM
The San Antonio Spurs took care of business in Game 6. The New Orleans Hornets made a few decent runs but the Spurs held them off and won by a final score of 99-80. The Spurs were up 68-61 in the middle of the third quarter when they went on a 16-2 run to put the game out of reach.

The Hornets didn’t play especially well, as no one on their team had an above average game. Chris Paul (21 points, eight assists and six rebounds) and Tyson Chandler (14 points and six rebounds) were solid but they weren’t at their best. New Orleans hasn’t figured out how to beat the Spurs in San Antonio. The good news for the Hornets is they don’t have to figure it out. All New Orleans needs to do is beat the Spurs at home in Game 7. With four consecutive blowouts of the Spurs at their home, it’s tough to imagine the Hornets not being supremely confident in the situation they find themselves in.

Regarding the Spurs, they did a very good job of focusing in on getting Game 6. The Spurs could have easily looked ahead and taken Game 6 for granted – but they didn’t do that. Instead, the Spurs took the lead in the first quarter and never trailed again.

Offensively, the ball movement was impressive. The Hornets were blitzing the pick-and-rolls again and the guards did a good job of not trying to do too much. It helped that the Spurs shot well from the field (49.4%) and hit their three-pointers (11-for-21).

Defensively, the Spurs were impressive. The gameplan called for the Spurs to change up their defense on the pick-and-roll constantly, which seemed to keep Paul off balance about as well as possible. Tim Duncan also took it upon himself to defend David West, which worked out nicely.

Overall, the Spurs did what they needed to do. They’re now in the position they wanted to be in after losing Game 5. It’s not the greatest position in the world to be in but it beats planning fishing trips.

-Tim Duncan bounced back from his Game 5 disappointment with a really nice showing in Game 6. Duncan finished the contest with 20 points, 16 rebounds, six assists and two blocked shots, while shooting 7-for-14 from the field. On the offensive end, Duncan was much more aggressive and decisive ion his moves. He made the Hornets pay whenever he was doubled by hitting the open man. Defensively, this was easily Duncan’s best performance of the series. He took on the job of defending West for a few stretches and did a fine job. I was impressed by how Duncan didn’t try to do too much. It would have been easy for him to come out and insist on carrying the team on his back. Instead, Duncan smartly picked apart the Hornets while selecting his spots perfectly. After struggling mightily in the first three games in New Orleans, hopefully Duncan can come with a vintage performance in Game 7.

-The Spurs needed Manu Ginobili to put points on the board and he did just that. Ginobili led the Spurs with 25 points and also chipped in four rebounds and two assists. The difference between this game and past games for Ginobili was his shooting. In the last seven playoff games, Ginobili was shooting only 30.8% from three-point land. On Thursday, Ginobili hit 6-of-9 three-pointers and 3-of-6 two-pointers. Ginobili hitting his shots is extremely important for the Spurs, especially against the Hornets’ trapping defense. While Ginobili’s assist numbers weren’t as impressive as they were in the first five games of this series, he more than made up for that by not turning the ball over. When he got blitzed on the pick-and-roll, Ginobili made the quick and easy pass – which is exactly what he needs to do. Defensively, he had his best game of the series. Considering that Ginobili’s two main goals in each game against the Hornets should be limiting his turnovers and hitting his open three-pointers, he provided the Spurs with what they needed Game 6. Hopefully he can carry it over into Game 7.

-Tony Parker didn’t play too well. When he got blitzed on the pick-and-rolls, the size and length of the blitzers bothered him. He also made a few ill-advised decisions. That said, Parker did a good job of attacking and hit a few momentum changing shots. On the night, Parker finished with 15 points, four rebounds, four assists and two steals, while shooting 6-for-13 from the field. It was far from the domination we've come to expect out of Parker in victory, but he has more than carried his load in this playoff run. In Game 6, Parker’s defense wasn’t overly effective but he was more physical than usual, especially when he got switched off onto a bigman. In Game 7, Parker needs to play smart and take what the defense gives him.

-Bruce Bowen had a sub par game. On offense, Bowen was only 1-for-6 from the field. On the other end of the court, Peja Stojakovic was able to score 13 first half points. To Bowen’s credit, he picked up his defensive pressure in the second half and held Stojakovic scoreless over the final two quarters. Bowen also drew two second half offensive fouls on Paul to put the Hornets’ point guard in foul trouble. In Game 7, Bowen has to hit his open threes and take Stojakovic out of the contest.

-After Game 5, I said I wanted Fabricio Oberto back in the starting lineup. Apparently Pop agreed. Oberto responded by playing a really good game. He set the tone early, dishing off four assists in the first five and a half minutes of the game – all of which were to Duncan. Oberto personally saw to it that Duncan got off to a good start. On the other end, he defended West rather well. When the Spurs blitzed Paul, Oberto did a very good job of staying in front of the shifty point guard. Oberto finished the game with four points, four rebounds and four assists, while hitting half of his four shots from the field. His stats don’t look too impressive but he was a big part of the win. The Spurs need a similar performance in Game 7 out of Oberto.

-Ime Udoka played 21 minutes off the bench and he was fantastic. Udoka picked a great time to have his best game of the season. Offensively, he was decisive and played with supreme confidence. Defensively, he was tough, rugged and extremely effective. Udoka finished the night with 13 points, three rebounds, two assists, one steal and one wicked blocked shot. Even more impressively, Udoka hit all five of his shots from the field, three of which were three-pointers. To show just how dominant Udoka was in Game 6, he finished the contest with a game-high plus/minus of +28. I’ve been hard on Udoka at times this year, especially when he struggled with his shooting earlier in the playoffs. However, if he can come up big in Game 7, I will officially apologize for ever doubting the man.

-Kurt Thomas came off the bench to play 21 minutes. While his stats look nice (six points and nine rebounds on 3-for-4 shooting), he’s simply not helping the team against the Hornets. His lack of chemistry on offense is glaring and the Hornets take advantage of it. Anyone who is watching closely can see the offense stagnate whenever Thomas sets foot on the court and then suddenly come alive when he’s on the bench. Defensively, he hasn’t been nearly good enough to makeup for his shortcoming offensively in this series. In Game 7, the less of Thomas, the better. The only way he should get extensive playing time is foul trouble or if the team is having trouble grabbing boards.

-Michael Finley played 18 largely invisible minutes on Thursday night. The only time he was noticeable was when he was missing shots. He finished the game 1-for-6 from the floor to finish with two points and two assists. While it was a forgettable game for Finley, he could very well be needed in Game 7. He’s still one of the best shooters on the team and if the Spurs can’t knock down their shots, Finley will be called upon to help spread the court. Hopefully he has a few more bullets left in his chamber.

-Robert Horry’s night will be remembered for the pick on West that left West crumpled on the ground writhing in pain. West entered the game with a gimpy back and Horry blindsided West with a pick. While there’s surely to be a lot of whining about the play from the usual suspects, I don’t think the play was anything more than a hard playoff foul. And honestly, it wasn’t even that hard of a foul. Outside of the foul, Horry looked pretty good. He was active on the boards and on defense. He didn’t hit a shot but he looked a lot more in rhythm than we’ve seen at any point in the playoffs. Horry finished with four rebounds, one assist and one steal, while missing all three of his attempts from the field. Heading into a Game 7, Horry is definitely a player you’d rather have on your side.

-Brent Barry, Matt Bonner and Jacque Vaughn all played in garbage time. It was good to see Bonner get his first minutes of the playoffs and he responded by hitting 2-of-3 shots. In Game 7, the only one of these three players that could see meaningful playing time is Barry. If the Spurs need three-pointers, Barry could the player Pop looks at to provide the outside shooting touch.

-I was impressed by the wrinkles Pop implemented into the gameplan. Defensively, the Spurs finally gave Paul a number of different looks on the pick-and-roll. By blitzing him sometimes, going under the screen sometimes, going over the screen sometimes and switching up the defenders on him, the Spurs finally made Paul not look like the best player in the league for a few possessions.

Pop putting Duncan on West was another nice move. If Duncan can stay out of foul trouble in Game 7, that’s an alignment that we should see again. Pop’s quick hook on Bowen when Bowen was struggling against Stojakovic paid off as well. Udoka came in and slowed Stojakovic and Bowen played like a man possessed in the second half.

Offensively, the big difference was the ball movement. Inserting Oberto into the starting lineup helped the passing immensely, as did the guards getting rid of the ball when they were blitzed on the pick-and-rolls.

Pop also deserves credit for remaining confident in Udoka. Udoka missed enough shots earlier in the playoffs to make any sane coach give up on him. Luckily Pop kept giving him a shot and now Udoka has been a monster on both ends of the court in two straight games.

It seems like both teams have laid all the cards out on the table heading into Game 7. During this three-day break, hopefully Pop and the coaching staff can devise a gameplan that will be successful. A lot of what the Spurs did in Game 6 was successful, however Pop needs to keep the Hornets guessing. Once Paul figures out a defense and gets into a groove, you just can’t stop the Hornets’ offense.

The bottomline is the Spurs handled their business in Game 6 and now face what promises to be an epic Game 7. Considering San Antonio has gotten blown out four straight times in New Orleans, the Spurs will need to play almost perfect basketball to survive.

The hopes and dreams of championship number five comes down to one game. It’s time to stare this seemingly impossible challenge in the eyes and come away with one win.

Believe.

gospursgojas
05-16-2008, 07:28 AM
It seems like both teams have laid all the cards out on the table heading into Game 7.

Fuck yeah.

Tim, Tony, Manu needs to play all 48 mins possible.

Oberto, Thomas, Horry need to use all 18 fouls.

Horry = Spurs new enforcer :spin

mystargtr34
05-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Excellent recap as usual.... who do you think should be first off the bench next game?

Udoka or Fin

Ime is irresistable when hes knocking down his shots, he just gives us so much on both ends of the court, but it would be risky bringing him before Fin in a game 7 to a degree.

MannyIsGod
05-16-2008, 07:34 AM
For me, noting matters until Monday nights 3rd quarter.

timvp
05-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Excellent recap as usual.... who do you think should be first off the bench next game?

Udoka or Fin

Ime is irresistable when hes knocking down his shots, he just gives us so much on both ends of the court, but it would be risky bringing him before Fin in a game 7 to a degree.I'd roll the dice with Udoka. He's been streaky all season -- so hopefully he's on one of his good streaks. At worst, he'll be good defensively and you can see pretty quickly if he has his shooting touch or not.

It's risky because Udoka oscillates between playing like 2004 Hedo Turkoglu and 1999 Mario Elie. If you catch him on an Elie game, he can be awesome. But if he puts up a Hedo, he can kill you ... fast.

gospursgojas
05-16-2008, 07:39 AM
For me, noting matters until Monday nights 3rd quarter.

:tu
+1

Spurs 5th championship rests in one 3rd quarter :flag:

MannyIsGod
05-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Udoka has gotten better as the post season has gone on. I believe he needed to get his feet wet, and now he's there. He's playing really fucking good ball right now. His 2 past games have seen him play with extremely good shot selection which was his biggest offensive weakness. And he's playing with no fear, which is more than I can say for Finely.

mystargtr34
05-16-2008, 07:49 AM
The only thing i worry about with Ime is floor spacing when hes on the floor with Bruce... when we go 4-down which we will regardless of results... there can only be one corner guy and that would be Bruce... im not sure Ime has full confidence in shooting from up top.

P'n'R shouldnt be a problem.

DarrinS
05-16-2008, 07:58 AM
If the Spurs play like this on Monday, they will lose game 7.

They shot lights out from the perimeter and got several homeriffic calls from the refs.

I wanted to see them attack the rim. If they don't do that on Monday, it's all over.

MmP
05-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Ime seemed to have a lot of confidence in this series, but he wasn't getting much playing time. It was a matter of time seeing him with a great game. Hopefully it can extend till monday.

DarrinS
05-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Ime Udoka and the Spurs' defense were the two great things about game 6.

wildbill2u
05-16-2008, 08:04 AM
I'd roll the dice with Udoka. He's been streaky all season -- so hopefully he's on one of his good streaks. At worst, he'll be good defensively and you can see pretty quickly if he has his shooting touch or not.

It's risky because Udoka oscillates between playing like 2004 Hedo Turkoglu and 1999 Mario Elie. If you catch him on an Elie game, he can be awesome. But if he puts up a Hedo, he can kill you ... fast.

Ime started shooting without any hesitation to think and that kept him in rhythm. The shots started falling when he let his body and mind take over with learned/programmed responses.

he became what we all hoped for when he came to the Spurs. Keep it going Ime and you're Okey Dokey.

Lebowski Brickowski
05-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Udoka has gotten better as the post season has gone on. I believe he needed to get his feet wet, and now he's there. He's playing really fucking good ball right now. His 2 past games have seen him play with extremely good shot selection which was his biggest offensive weakness. And he's playing with no fear, which is more than I can say for Finely.

Yeah -- it looks like he's broken the ice. He'll play tough with D and passing and rebounding in game 7 and if he's hitting shots too, watch out.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Two things to watch in game seven: Chris Paul in the post and the Hornets pushing the ball really hard every time Tony Parker falls down on a layup attempt.

1Parker1
05-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Michael Finley played 18 largely invisible minutes on Thursday night. The only time he was noticeable was when he was missing shots. He finished the game 1-for-6 from the floor to finish with two points and two assists. While it was a forgettable game for Finley, he could very well be needed in Game 7. He’s still one of the best shooters on the team and if the Spurs can’t knock down their shots, Finley will be called upon to help spread the court. Hopefully he has a few more bullets left in his chamber.

Finley's done. I honestly cringe when he comes into the games now.

As for Udoka's shot selection, while I do agree that at times it seems like he has bad selection, I also love the fact that he doesn't hesitate on his shots, whether he's making them or missing them, he continues to shoot as if he's going to make the next one. That's more than I can say for Finley and even Bowen at times. Esp on the road against the Hornets this series, I've seen both players often times pass on an open shot behind the 3 point line, have no confidence in thier shot and so they decide to "drive" and try to create their own shot which neither are very good at or they pass the ball and one of the Big 3 has to jack up a shot with about 5 sec left on the timeclock. Udoka's no fear attitude can hurt you and help you.

smeagol
05-16-2008, 08:36 AM
The Spurs had a fucking awesome game.

Those are my game thoughts.

Los Spurs
05-16-2008, 08:40 AM

Sad but true :depressed

MoSpur
05-16-2008, 08:48 AM
I was impressed with Udoka's play. His block on Pargo was awesome. I thought Manu came out and just played like he said he would. No complaining to the refs. Just shutup and play. That was a huge difference.

wildchild
05-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Michael Finley played 18 largely invisible minutes on Thursday night. The only time he was noticeable was when he was missing shots. He finished the game 1-for-6 from the floor to finish with two points and two assists. While it was a forgettable game for Finley, he could very well be needed in Game 7. He’s still one of the best shooters on the team and if the Spurs can’t knock down their shots, Finley will be called upon to help spread the court. Hopefully he has a few more bullets left in his chamber.

-Brent Barry, Matt Bonner and Jacque Vaughn all played in garbage time. It was good to see Bonner get his first minutes of the playoffs and he responded by hitting 2-of-3 shots. In Game 7, the only one of these three players that could see meaningful playing time is Barry. If the Spurs need three-pointers, Barry could the player Pop looks at to provide the outside shooting touch.

I couldn't agree more. We need more Mike Brent 3's.

Believe

1Parker1
05-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Can anyone even explain to me how that was even considered a foul by Robert Horry? Maybe I am missing something in the replays, but I saw David West trying to front Horry, Ginobili tries to pass the ball to Horry inside, the ball goes over West's head and he reaches back for it (with a already bad back) and Horry sets a hard pick to make sure he leans into his crossed arms. Horry didn't even touch the guy otherwise. Even if Horry wasn't there, the angle of the pass and West's attempt to reach back and swipe at the ball would have left him in pain regardless. Perhaps I'm just missing something though....?

Obstructed_View
05-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Yes, because Finley was so consistent up to now, and his defense was always so good.

You will of course be ready with tons of praise should Fin happen to hit five three pointers and score 20 points to help the Spurs win game seven, right?

Lebowski Brickowski
05-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Can anyone even explain to me how that was even considered a foul by Robert Horry? Maybe I am missing something in the replays, but I saw David West trying to front Horry, Ginobili tries to pass the ball to Horry inside, the ball goes over West's head and he reaches back for it (with a already bad back) and Horry sets a hard pick to make sure he leans into his crossed arms. Horry didn't even touch the guy otherwise. Even if Horry wasn't there, the angle of the pass and West's attempt to reach back and swipe at the ball would have left him in pain regardless. Perhaps I'm just missing something though....?

You forgot to mention that Horry is a headhunter who has intentionally hurt people his whole career. Also that the only reason he was in the game was to hurt someone and that he should be suspended for 4 games. THAT"S IT! I'm calling stujackson right now!!!

degenerate_gambler
05-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Can anyone even explain to me how that was even considered a foul by Robert Horry?

There is no explanation other than maybe the ref saw West go down out of the corner of his eye or something and just instinctively blew the whistle figuring Horry must have shoved him.

VaSpursFan
05-16-2008, 09:24 AM
great game last night. i loved Pop switching up the d on CP3, various defenders, hard doubles, traps, etc. my only thing is that CP3 can score the ball and I respect that, i just wish we would stay home on everyone else and let him score when he gets in the paint. i want him to expend energy scoring and while clamping down on everyone else.

last night, too many times, the help defense came over resulting in a pass or a dunk. we can't allow that to happen in game 7 and let them energize themselves and the crowd with alley oops. so i hope Pop pulls out the Nash game plan for game 7.

said7
05-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Finley is dead meat. He doesn't pull the trigger when he is open. When he does he misses.

At least shoot 40%, even in garbage time he was bricking. This guys in his head too much, and nothing has changed.

Das Texan
05-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Udoka is starting to make a name for himself in this system.

Next year will be even better from him too.

SAGambler
05-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Horry needs to whisper in Wests ear, "I've used one of my gotchas in game 6. I still have one more to use. You guess when it'll come".

1Parker1
05-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Yes, because Finley was so consistent up to now, and his defense was always so good.

You will of course be ready with tons of praise should Fin happen to hit five three pointers and score 20 points to help the Spurs win game seven, right?

When was the last time he did that? He hit a big 3 pointer in Game 1 this postseason, but the 10 games after that he's been subpar. And his defense is absolutely horrible right now, even for him. Spurs desperately needed someone in those 3 NO road games to step up and hit shots outside the Big 3, and Finley's the only option they got.

Pop has put Finley from the starter to the 2nd/3rd swingman off the bench, that's tell you how far off he's fallen. Udoka tookover him minutes.

spurster
05-16-2008, 09:52 AM
I think timvp is being a little hard on Thomas. The Spurs scored 22 points in the 2nd quarter when Thomas was in, which was much less than the 1st quarter, but still more than the 3rd and 4th quarters. And his 9 rebounds was more than double any other Spur not named Duncan.

boutons_
05-16-2008, 10:11 AM
"It seems like both teams have laid all the cards out"

seems? :lol

normally you stay away from such weasel words.

TampaDude
05-16-2008, 10:21 AM
If the Spurs play like this on Monday, they will lose game 7.

They shot lights out from the perimeter and got several homeriffic calls from the refs.

I wanted to see them attack the rim. If they don't do that on Monday, it's all over.

Give me a break, dude...the Spurs BEAT the Hornets last night, plain and simple, just like the Hornets beat the Spurs in Game 5...the refs had nothing to do with the outcome in either game...both were blowouts.

We should try to get Paul and West in foul trouble, though...that is huge.

EVAY
05-16-2008, 10:22 AM
There is no explanation other than maybe the ref saw West go down out of the corner of his eye or something and just instinctively blew the whistle figuring Horry must have shoved him.

I think that is the only explanation, too. There was no foul, and the commentators (Van Gundy) said as much. Horry's reputation got him the foul call, not the pick itself. I thought that the fans were chanting Horry's name because they liked him, not that West went down. It would be out of character for the S.A. fans to cheer a downed guy.

Capt Bringdown
05-16-2008, 10:23 AM

Great writing as usual. I hope you're making a living from your talents, because you invariably bring out some interesting ideas and your recaps are spot on.
Cheers.

EVAY
05-16-2008, 10:25 AM
The only thing i worry about with Ime is floor spacing when hes on the floor with Bruce... when we go 4-down which we will regardless of results... there can only be one corner guy and that would be Bruce... im not sure Ime has full confidence in shooting from up top.

P'n'R shouldnt be a problem.

Ime's been playing so much better than Fin in this series I don't think it should take a second to decide that he should be the 6th man, both for offense and defense over Fin. Maybe last series was different, maybe next series (if there is one) will be different, but right now, in this series, Ime is our best sub.

loveforthegame
05-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Pop should go with Udoka like he did in game 6 but I'm amazed how quickly people write off Finley.

Most of Fin's minutes (and missed shots) came in garbage time so not sure what the big deal is.

mytespurs
05-16-2008, 10:34 AM
I think I'm going to enjoy this Spurs win for the weekend. The way this series has been going, it doesn't look good for the Spurs.....History in this series so far says the Hornets win this series BUT it's a Game 7 so the dynamics will change...I hope the Spurs can pull it out though I doubt they could take out the Lakers in the WCF. If they don't, at least I hope they go out fighting.

mytespurs
05-16-2008, 10:35 AM
PS...I did watch some of the second & third quarter at the gym....my man Manu was on fire!!!!! :toast

TampaDude
05-16-2008, 10:43 AM
PS...I did watch some of the second & third quarter at the gym....my man Manu was on fire!!!!! :toast

I hope you stayed for the beginning of the 4th quarter, too...Manu hit back to back threes to open the 4th and put the game out of reach... :toast

polandprzem
05-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Main changes is giving Oberto more PT and decide to go stronger on D.
Anyone heard the Wire during game? Pop said - "continue the best defense of the season" That was the mind set and they were doing just that.
To help doing that Finley had to sit at the bench seeing Udoka contribute on both ends of the floor. It is amazing how a spot up shooter can be a better shooter during this series than a guy who comes of the screen.

All said. I do not agree with Thomas statment. He is not a fantastic passer, he is worse passer then Fabio, but he can make teams pay for leaving him open. He is capable to do that and his defense is not as bad as anybody can think esp. when it comes to positioning and banging. Damn I swear that many in here were praising him for his D contributions. Now he is left alone. Good that we had first Horry good play in this playoffs.
Pop said he (Rob) is feeling better so they copuld use him more. All I know is that we need his IQ (where to go and what to do) and passing skills. But please Horry do not shoot the ball. You are worse then me, and I'm not a skilled shooter.

Speed what we need, we need greasy fast speed!

Not only be faster but also quicker then more athletic Hornet squad. I said it before and say again. The spurs must be better (or match) at the best NO's aspects. And transition is the key, and ball movenment is the key, and players movenment is the key.
That with the confidence and translation mental toughness to play great on the floor is what we need.

Good that TD was not whining. There was some calls the spurs were arguing, I once said - you moderfooking Salvatore :cuss But all in all spurs were concentraiting on play.

Tim played realy good game. He was not forcing too much. In his bad games he was either forcing himself to make baskets and failed or made bad decisions wanting to passs the ball too much.
Once Jordan said , that he let the game come to him and that is one of the most important things. Stay cool, do your job and that will clear you mind to play the game not thinking about decisions you want to make, you just make them.

I hear * all over again. But screw it. Hornest got questional calls twice. On transition Bowen vs. paul and On setting the play Manu vs West.
Btw. Look up the stats the refs called more fouls on Spurs, and spurs made excactly the same amount of FT. So taht was not a big factor. The factor was maybe the pace changed but it is the way it is, esp. in the playoffs. To keep cool. and not get intimidate by anything.
(Damn Pop was not even talking much with refs)
btw. Javie, Bavetta, or Danny will probably ...

Umm, I can write many things. About trapping on Paul or Tims D on West. But for one: Paul will make an instant adjustment on the floor no matter how many diferent looks the spurs will give him. And Pop gambeled a bit wanting to stop Paul more that game.
Second is that West was not 100% and he saw Tim guarding him for the first time in longer stretch. That could easy be exposed. West will be attacking Tim plus he will force him to play on permieter one on one where Tim is not great and that leads to hole inside esp. when fabio is in the game.

Spurs got the stats against them. I think all of them from the season and form the history book. Excample: 2-6 on games 7. And failure in SA against Dallas. That satys in head.

Hornets were not in a position they are right now as well. But their confidence won't be shaken and Paul is one of the best players when it comes to playoffs games. Looks familiar to Wade AD 2006.

I know that this post is bad and I will take the lessons of basketball (to improve myself) with humility from the Hornet King of basketball fan.

Budkin
05-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Game 7. Do or die on the road. Heart of a Champion.

urunobili
05-16-2008, 11:24 AM
The Spurs had a fucking awesome game.

Those are my game thoughts.

DAF86
05-16-2008, 11:50 AM

Finley will have a great game on monday, book it!

Every time he gets bashed on this forum he instantly starts making shots.

ata
05-16-2008, 02:18 PM
I hope that they will not trigger so many threes on the road. They won't be always falling.

Belive.

1Parker1
05-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Finley will have a great game on monday, book it!

Every time he gets bashed on this forum he instantly starts making shots.

:lol We've been bashing him for 6 games this series and so far nothing!

1Parker1
05-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Hornets are a completely different team home and away. Even if the Spurs play at a high level in Game 7, just because the Spurs handily beat them in Game 6, doesn't automatically annoit them as winners or having an edge in Game 7. As these Hornets have shown, they don't feel the pressure and experience doesn't really matter to them....when they're at home.

It seems to me the biggest obstacle with the Spurs playing on the road, not just the 3rd quarter, is the Spurs finding a way to get stops on the Hornets defensively when they turn up gears in the 2nd half. Which they do at home, CP3 lays low the first half, sets up teammates, and just lets loose in the 2nd half. He has been able to get any shot that he wants and the Spurs defense needs to step up. Even if they're not making shots on the road, they still need to get stops and let their defense generate their offense as Pop likes to say.

miss paxton
05-16-2008, 02:54 PM
timvp:

Pop’s quick hook on Bowen when Bowen was struggling against Stojakovic paid off as well. Udoka came in and slowed Stojakovic and Bowen played like a man possessed in the second half.

Agreed; I thought that was key. I'm also glad Udoka had such a terrific game; it was definitely needed.

roycrikside
05-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey LJ, what do you think about using Brent as the fourth wing instead of Fin?

What about Hack-a-Tyson in the 3rd to slow their momentum?

nfg3
05-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Great recap timvp - as usual.

Our big problem is the 3rd Q in NO. What are we going to do about it? Like clockwork we get the lead at halftime only to promptly get blown out in the 3rd.

On the way home yesterday ESPN 1250 they had Don Harris on. He thought that maybe the Hornets were purposely playing at a slower pace only to kick it up in the 3rd Q. By doing so this would catch the Spurs off guard and turn the game in their favor. I'm not too sure any team would deliberately give a halftime lead at home to their opponnet only to up the pace in the 2nd half trying to catch the other team flat footed. But so far that seems to be the case. Interesting thought, though.

DazedAndConfused
05-16-2008, 03:24 PM
It's not that the Hornets are deliberately playing a crappy game in the 1st half. Chris Paul is just more focused on setting up his teammates and making sure everyone gets touches and is in some sort of rhythm. The full on blitz doesn't happen until the 2nd half, and by then everyone is ready to go all out.

The Spurs need to be up at least 10-15 by halftime for them to win in Game 7. If it's close, the Hornets will pull away again. Their youth and athleticism are a big advantage in the 2nd half when the Spurs legs start getting heavy.

timvp
05-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Udoka's no fear attitude can hurt you and help you.It can also backfire ... like in Game 1 of the Suns series. Udoka practically single-handedly put the Spurs in that hole that they barely dug out of. Udoka is the Spurs' ultimate feast or famine player right now.

Finley hit a big 3 pointer in Game 1 this postseason, but the 10 games after that he's been subpar. And his defense is absolutely horrible right now, even for him. To be fair, Finley was big in the third quarter of Game 2 against the Suns and was decent enough against the Hornets in Game 1, Game 3 and Game 4. His defense sucks but his defense has been bad for the last three or four months. (What's weird is that his D and rebounding was actually pretty good earlier in the season. Not sure what happened.)

It's a scary thought but for the Spurs to win Game 7, they'll likely need Finley to hit some big shots.

I think timvp is being a little hard on Thomas. The Spurs scored 22 points in the 2nd quarter when Thomas was in, which was much less than the 1st quarter, but still more than the 3rd and 4th quarters. And his 9 rebounds was more than double any other Spur not named Duncan.In the second quarter, the Spurs struggled to even get those 22 points. Ginobili had to hit three treys, Parker had to hit two contested 20-footers and Thomas had to knock in two jumpers. Duncan didn't get anything close to an open shot with Thomas in the game.

In the last four games, Thomas has had put up the team's worst plus/minus stats in each game ... I just can't say that's a fluke. Both my eyes and the stats are telling me Thomas is hurting the team massively right now. The Hornets made an adjustment early in the series to turn Thomas into a passer and he just can't do it. Early in the series, Thomas wasn't too horrible because the Hornets hadn't figured out how to guard him. Now they know to run him off his jumper and he's stuck trying to make a pass and he just can't do that successfully right now.

I'm okay using Thomas as a spot sub in Game 7 for defense and rebounding but if the Spurs play him for long stretches, their offense will die.

"It seems like both teams have laid all the cards out"

seems? :lol

normally you stay away from such weasel words.That's accurate. I thought that the Hornets had laid all their cards on the table after Game 4 ... but then they started blitzing the pick-and-rolls. I wouldn't think that Byron Scott will add another wrinkle in Game 7, but he might.

Pop may also have some cards up his sleeve that we haven't seen yet.

Hey LJ, what do you think about using Brent as the fourth wing instead of Fin?

What about Hack-a-Tyson in the 3rd to slow their momentum?I've advocated Barry getting more minutes for most of the playoffs but it looks like he hurt himself again. In the few minutes he's played recently, he's been really gimpy. I just don't think Barry is healthy enough at this point to help. That said, if the Spurs get down early or the other shooters are bricking, Pop has to give him a chance.

Hack-a-Tyson hasn't worked so far. Chandler hits the free throws and then the Hornets come back attacking the next possessions like nothing happened. It worked against the Suns partly because it got Nash out of rhythm and he'd start walking the ball up the court. Paul doesn't do that -- it just gives him time to rest and he comes back faster and harder.

However, if the Spurs are getting blown out in the third, Pop has to do anything he can to slow the momentum. If that means Hack-a-Tyson, so be it.

jman3000
05-16-2008, 05:05 PM
I remember hearing this morning that the Hornets' players should look to Peja for advice going into this game 7 because of his experience... are you fucking kidding me? Peja Stojakavic? (sp)

I'd think the wiser and obvious choice would be Byron Scott.