PDA

View Full Version : Howard and Carlisle meet

Cashville
05-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Josh Howard and Rick Carlisle went to dinner Wednesday night, and the new coach of the Mavericks picked up the bill. Looks like their relationship is off on the right foot.

“From what I’ve heard, he’s a great coach,” Howard said Thursday afternoon. “The guys I talked to had nothing but good things to say. I’m looking forward to working with Coach next year.

“He’s an X&O’s guy and he wants to win. He’s really excited about this situation and the pieces he has.”

Howard checked in with a pair of former teammates – Marquis Daniels and Darrell Armstrong – who played for Carlisle in Indiana. Howard wasn’t just interested in a scouting report on the coaching style of Avery Johnson’s replacement. He also wanted to get a sense of the person.

The dinner served as introduction for both as they each enter a critical offseason. Carlisle has begun putting his stamp on the franchise, which includes his input in reshaping the roster. Howard is moving forward from a disappointing series of events, on and off the court, to finish up the season.

They discussed those issues and Howard’s willingness to work harder than he ever has to prepare for his sixth NBA season.

“We talked about what happened and he understood my point of view,” Howard said. “I’m planning to take [my workouts] to the next level for myself first and because of what happened at the end of the year. You learn from stuff like that and I was finally able to put everything behind me.”

Carlisle expects Howard to do just that.

“Josh is one of the younger veterans that has an opportunity here to step up and take a little bit more responsibility,” Carlisle said. “I think it’s important to be positive with him, I think it’s important to listen to the kinds of things he has to say and his views on the game, but at the end of the day, the coach is in a position of leadership and has to direct the team in a way that’s going to be most successful for the franchise.”

Mark Cuban said he’s traded more phone calls and texts with Howard in the last several weeks than the last several years.

“He realized he made a mistake,” Cuban said. “We’ve talked about it. He realizes he’s got some catching up to do in terms of reclaiming some people’s confidence, but he’s also man enough to realize that he’s going to do it and make a commitment to do it.”

Carlisle told Howard that he’s the team’s best and most versatile defender. The new coach also stressed Howard’s importance to the Mavs’ success next season.

“We need him to play big,” Carlisle said. “He needs to get back to Western Conference All-Star-caliber level of play for 82 games, which he did a couple of years ago.”

Howard’s commitment to basketball and his community work – he’s hosting his first basketball camp in Dallas next month – is his focus. His message to Carlisle was simple.

“It’s the same thing I would have told Avery: I always come to play,” Howard said. “He already knew that I love to compete and take pride in my game.”

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/Josh_and_Carlisle_051508.html

No matter where he is next year I believe he will be highly motivated and ready to redeem himself.

Indazone
05-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Looks to me like Cuban is going to keep J. Howard.

JamStone
05-16-2008, 10:14 AM
I said sorry to my owner Mark, and then I got high.
Next time I'll smoke in the dark, before I get high.
Do I really not show any heart when I get high?
When I get high... when I get high... when I get high?

I smoked it all the way down to the roach when I was high.
I was going to impress my new coach but then I got high.
Guess I'm not getting sympathy votes since I was high.
Since I was high... since I was high... since I was high.

Da da da da da da da...

monosylab1k
05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Looks to me like Cuban is going to keep J. Howard.

Well it's probably not smart to say "He's a dumbass and we don't want him on the team next year" if you're trying to shop him around.

Cashville
05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
well atleast Howard is being a man about the whole situation. He realized he made some very immature mistakes and instead of running from the situation he's been apologizing and admitting his mistakes which is rare in a league full of guys with huge egos. The fact that he called guys who played with Carlisle to see what type of coach he is tells me he still wants to be in dallas and that Avery was his problem.

Really, all it comes down to is his relationship with Dirk. If Dirk doesn't want him on this team he's gone no matter what.

For howard though it's like the 03 draft all over again imo. He feels embarrassed (his fault) and is ready to prove doubters wrong once again. The weed situation may indeed push him to a higher level because before it he was complacent.

monosylab1k
05-16-2008, 10:22 AM
IMO the Howard situation is unsalvageable. He destroyed all his credibility in Dallas, and I won't take this team, management, or the owner seriously next year if Howard is still on the roster.

JamStone
05-16-2008, 10:22 AM
The fact that he called guys who played with Carlisle to see what type of coach he is tells me he still wants to be in dallas and that Avery was his problem.

Don't read too much into that. He was like best friends with Marquis Daniels. They would probably talk anyway in the summer even if Carlisle wasn't hired.

Cashville
05-16-2008, 10:25 AM
IMO the Howard situation is unsalvageable. He destroyed all his credibility in Dallas, and I won't take this team, management, or the owner seriously next year if Howard is still on the roster.

you dont just trade a guy with his talent for the sake of doing so. The only way the should trade him is if they can get equal value. This team is contending and he's their second best player, they better get good value in return cause if he plays great elsewhere while the Mavs are struggling the negative press would be too much (added with the Harris/Kidd thing).

monosylab1k
05-16-2008, 10:29 AM
you dont just trade a guy with his talent for the sake of doing so.

They aren't doing that. They have very justifiable reasons to trade Howard. Admitted drug user, blatant insubordination to a demand from the head coach, shitty attitude, and constant 2nd half no-shows are more than enough reason to want him off the team.

stretch
05-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Don't read too much into that. He was like best friends with Marquis Daniels. They would probably talk anyway in the summer even if Carlisle wasn't hired.

I would definitley read into the way that the team hated Avery. Judging by the things that Dirk is saying, I think the team was a lot more sick of Avery than any of us could have realized... while I would rather trade Howard than keep him, I won't go as far as mono and say that everything is unsalvagable. we all know Howard is capable of being a fantastic player. either way, we have a long off-season, and a lot of time to see how things pan out...

Cashville
05-16-2008, 10:35 AM
They aren't doing that. They have very justifiable reasons to trade Howard. Admitted drug user, blatant insubordination to a demand from the head coach, shitty attitude, and constant 2nd half no-shows are more than enough reason to want him off the team.

theres wanting to trade him, and then theres being stupid. Howard is an all star talent who has been a good character guy the majority of his career. Panicking and getting rid of him just because while downgrading in talent and ability would be a huge mistake. If they can get close to equal value for him then they should trade him, if not give him a second chance.

JamStone
05-16-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't believe mono said they should just give Josh Howard away for nothing.

ducks
05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
they are trying to raise his trade value

Cashville
05-16-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't believe mono said they should just give Josh Howard away for nothing.

It's not about getting nothing, it's about getting comparable talent in return (artest, marion). Dallas doesn't have much time, if they cant get better by trading Howard then they should keep him.

at the end of the day, it's on Dirk and what he thinks.

JamStone
05-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Uh that's the point. If they trade Josh, they will be looking for getting quality players in return. What are you arguing?

Cashville
05-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Uh that's the point. If they trade Josh, they will be looking for getting quality players in return. What are you arguing?
that it will be hard to get equal value right now due to the end of the season. The poster said he wouldn't take the dallas FO seriously if he was still on the team.

endrity
05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Mono has a knack of going over the top at times, but if Josh is back next year there will be a big target on his back. He has to respond on and off the court as well. I know he is better than what he showed the last couple of months, I wonder if he is going to get it together in Dallas. It seems though that he also had serious problems with Avery and maybe he will be better next year. We'll see. It will be hard to get equal value for him. If there is a Howard for Josh Smith deal, I would take that, but not much more.

JamStone
05-16-2008, 11:00 AM
It's not about getting nothing, it's about getting comparable talent in return (artest, marion). Dallas doesn't have much time, if they cant get better by trading Howard then they should keep him.

at the end of the day, it's on Dirk and what he thinks.

That's probably not true. Otherwise, Steve Nash would have never been allowed to sign elsewhere.

that it will be hard to get equal value right now due to the end of the season. The poster said he wouldn't take the dallas FO seriously if he was still on the team.

Unless you work in the NBA, you don't know how hard or how easy it is to get equal value for Josh Howard right now. Why couldn't the Mavs work a deal for Ron Artest, who also has off-the-court issues? Why couldn't they work a deal to get Marion, who also has attitude problems? None of us fans know the inner workings of NBA GMing or what the true evaluations of players are by every GM. Who would have forecasted that Shaquille O'Neal's fat ass and his absurd Miami contract was tradeable? Who could have imagined that Kwame Brown and two draft picks could turn into Pau Gasol? Josh Howard still has value. He is young, athletic, and has skills. None of us know what teams are willing to part to get him.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Josh Howard and Rick Carlisle went to dinner Wednesday night, and the new coach of the Mavericks picked up the bill. Looks like their relationship is off on the right foot.
That's a hell of a gesture, especially when your dinner date probably had the munchies.

1Parker1
05-16-2008, 11:24 AM
:lol

monosylab1k
05-16-2008, 11:27 AM
That's a hell of a gesture, especially when your dinner date probably had the munchies.

Rick: Well Josh, thanks for meeting me here for dinner at 3 Forks.

Josh: Duuuuude what is this filet mignon shit? Where are the Funyuns on this menu? Do they sell tacos here? Ooooh u know what would be awesome? A peanut butter & cheetos sandwich!

Rick: *sigh* Waiter....cancel the table. Looks like we're going to Whataburger tonight instead.

Josh: Taquitos!

jack sommerset
05-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I bet they ate at the White Castle

rAm
05-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Rick: Well Josh, thanks for meeting me here for dinner at 3 Forks.

Josh: Duuuuude what is this filet mignon shit? Where are the Funyuns on this menu? Do they sell tacos here? Ooooh u know what would be awesome? A peanut butter & cheetos sandwich!

Rick: *sigh* Waiter....cancel the table. Looks like we're going to Whataburger tonight instead.

Josh: Taquitos!

have you ever been high?

monosylab1k
05-16-2008, 04:22 PM
have you ever been high?

only when i'm fucking your mother.

E20
05-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Carlise probably brought along a rolled blunt.

rAm
05-16-2008, 05:12 PM
only when i'm fucking your mother.

good answer, god you are such little pussy

Bob Lanier
05-16-2008, 05:20 PM
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/327/rickxa5.jpg

rAm
05-16-2008, 06:08 PM
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/327/rickxa5.jpg

hahahaha

mavsfan1000
05-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Did they get each others phonenumbers?

Avitus1
05-16-2008, 08:07 PM
I said sorry to my owner Mark, and then I got high.
Next time I'll smoke in the dark, before I get high.
Do I really not show any heart when I get high?
When I get high... when I get high... when I get high?

I smoked it all the way down to the roach when I was high.
I was going to impress my new coach but then I got high.
Guess I'm not getting sympathy votes since I was high.
Since I was high... since I was high... since I was high.

Da da da da da da da...

LMAO