PDA

View Full Version : Best movie of 2008 so far?

Phil Hellmuth
05-16-2008, 06:30 PM
:wakeup

JMarkJohns
05-16-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm going to say Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I saw it twice within four days and laughed just as hard the second time as the first. Mostly at jokes I missed from laughing so hard the first viewing. That was a great flick...

Ironman is a quality and close second.

All this is for nothing, because by this time in two months, it'll likely be The Dark Knight by a mile...

Fillmoe
05-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Ironman

Harold and Kumar was an instant classic

ClingingMars
05-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I am Ironman....

Prince Caspian, which I saw today, had the potential, but it came up short.

- Mars

JMarkJohns
05-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Harold and Kumar was an instant classic

I found this film to be funnier the second time I saw it. It was funny, but it doesn't have near the quantity of laughs, nor the quality of laughs that Forgetting Sarah Marshall had.

FSM = A-
HKII = B

Fillmoe
05-16-2008, 06:50 PM
I haven't seen FSM. Maybe I need to watch it.

JMarkJohns
05-16-2008, 06:54 PM
I haven't seen FSM. Maybe I need to watch it.

Don't eat or drink. If you eat, you'll choke... if you drink, you'll choke or spew the liquid all over those in front of you. Seriously, there were people caughing from crap going down the wrong pipe, or choking, or from attempting not to spew it all over the place.

Hilarious!

peewee's lovechild
05-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Iron Man, no doubt about it.

Avitus1
05-16-2008, 07:42 PM
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-gallery/albums/userpics/poster_IronMan_comicon.jpg

JMarkJohns
05-16-2008, 07:49 PM
I think it's harder to make a successful comedy that works from every angle than a successful action flick. That's my reasoning for Forgetting Sarah Marshall over Iron Man.

balli
05-16-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm pissed about movies right now. Late in the fall through Dec. all the movies have high quality DVD screeners that get released for award consideration. Thusly you can download high quality versions of everything almost as soon as it hits theaters. After the award season, this all goes away. I'm bent about it. Fuck actually going to some sticky, swamp ass theater for $8, I want my fucking downloads!

All I've seen this year is Harold and Kumar which exceeded my expectations actually. I'm going to see Caspian tomorrow though and I have high hopes.

Is Ironman really all that good? People say it is, but it just looks like yet another typical, formulaic and opportunistic obscure-comic flick.

JMarkJohns
05-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Is Ironman really all that good? People say it is, but it just looks like yet another typical, formulaic and opportunistic obscure-comic flick.

It's amazing what good writing can do for even the most predictible subject matter...

peewee's lovechild
05-16-2008, 08:07 PM
but it just looks like yet another typical, formulaic and opportunistic obscure-comic flick.

Not even close.

GuerillaBlack
05-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Cloverfield is pretty damn good. Either that, or Iron Man.

desflood
05-16-2008, 08:30 PM
In Bruges was excellent, but Iron Man is still first in my book.

J.T.
05-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Iron Man for now. I get the feeling that The Dark Knight is going to humiliate every other comic movie franchise, though.

I also thought Leatherheads was very well done, but SpursTalk hates Clooney and won't giv it a chance.

Texas_Ranger
05-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Iron Man

midgetonadonkey
05-17-2008, 02:07 AM
John Fucking Rambo!!!!!!

Fuck all you pussies talking about Harold and dot-dot Indian and faggot Robert Downey Ironman.

John Fucking Rambo killed hundreds of people and was the greatest movie of the year so far.

RashoFan
05-17-2008, 02:07 AM
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-gallery/albums/userpics/poster_IronMan_comicon.jpg

+1
The movie is :smokin

midgetonadonkey
05-17-2008, 02:09 AM
They show a kid getting thrown in a burning hut. How much better can you get people? What the fuck?

Rambo kills like 4000 people in a 20 minutes span.

This was his best performance since Cobra. And that's saying a lot.

florige
05-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Cloverfield is pretty damn good. Either that, or Iron Man.

Yeah that was good when I wasn't feeling neaous...:vomit:

PeterBurns
05-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Damn....I really didn't want to see Iron Man, thinking it's just another X-Men type movie, but you guys are giving it good reviews, and ya'll are normally dead on.

FSM was awesome. Hit a little close to home, except he cried like a girl too much, but the movie was funny.

The Rock Star character was great!

JMarkJohns
05-17-2008, 12:40 PM
FSM was awesome. Hit a little close to home, except he cried like a girl too much, but the movie was funny.

The Rock Star character was great!

There are some classic, classic scenes in that film. The newlywed couple had me rolling on the floor.

Segal's crying was great! He really was a litte girl, but it was so damn funny...

monosylab1k
05-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Forgetting Sarah Marshall was great but not as good as Knocked Up or Superbad.

JMarkJohns
05-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Forgetting Sarah Marshall was great but not as good as Knocked Up or Superbad.

I agree on Knocked up... but disagree on Superbad. I think Superbad has the quality of laughs, but not the quantity.

I would give Knocked Up an A, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, A-, and Superbad, B+.

misterx91578
05-17-2008, 04:21 PM
my favorite movies so far this year Iron man and Vantage Point

JMarkJohns
05-17-2008, 05:05 PM
my favorite movies so far this year Iron man and Vantage Point

I liked Vantage Point, but they had too many vantages and the whole stop, start over thing got annoying after the fourth character.

ballhog
05-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Best one I can think of right now is Rambo. Hasn't been much so far this year. Vantage Point was ok as was "21".

balli
05-18-2008, 12:54 PM
I saw Iron Man, and respectfully, I have to disagree with the consensus that it was really good. I thought it was decent in comparison ot some other comic movies, but that isn't saying much. I don't know what the fuck is up with comic book moies, but it seems to me like they all have so much potential that ultimately gets squandered.

And it doesn't take much to make me happy either. Look at X2 for example. I was down. Why? The 60 second scene at the beginning when Nightcrawler fucks up the Secret Service. That's all it took; 60 seconds of awesomeness. And then, what do they do with X3? Write Nightcrawler out of the script entirely. What fucking genius made that decision?

Superman was another one. He's fucking Superman yo. With modern special effects they could have done the coolest shit ever with that character. Instead we get some pussy Lex Luthor real estate scheme and one gay ass plane crash. Show me Doomsday and Superman going mano y mano in a 20 minute battle of superhuman fisticuffs. Where's Brainiac or General Zod? Fuck east coast real estate and Lex Luthor, I want to see Superman save the world in an inter-planetary showdown between near immortal beings. Plus, they tried to make it an homage to the 70's ones. Basically, I'm still pissed about that one and anyone with even half a brain probably could have done a whole lot better. Now the whole franchise is going to have to stick with those lame ass actors and tone and that fucking sucks. I bet the sequal is terrible too.

Spiderman 3 sucked, which is even made worse by the fact that they really could have made soemthing out of a Venom storyline. All the way obscure shit like Punisher and that flaming Nicoholas Cage movie sucked. The Hulk sucked. The Hellboy that's coming out look awful. I even thought the last Batman could have been moderately better. Somebody please take a cool comic character and get a script together that meets some fucking potential. Until then I think most comic book movies are going to leave me feeling pissed off, unfufilled and wishing in hindsight for something better.

(crosses fingers for The Dark Night to come through)

JMarkJohns
05-18-2008, 01:20 PM
How the hell could Batman Begins been any better? Beyond Holmes as Dawes, I can't think of a miscast, and there certainly was no lack of great quips, characters and plot devepment. The one mistake was casting Holmes. To be honest, it wasn't even a mistake, just something that could have been cast better.

balli
05-18-2008, 01:27 PM
How the hell could Batman Begins been any better? Beyond Holmes as Dawes, I can't think of a miscast, and there certainly was no lack of great quips, characters and plot devepment. The one mistake was casting Holmes. To be honest, it wasn't even a mistake, just something that could have been cast better.

I was just talking shit in a frenzy about Superman which made me pessimistic to begin with and I think I've seen it too many times. I thought it was very good no doubt, certainly the best in the past 5 years. I didn't like the camera work though. I think it was the same guy that shot the Bourne series and he stuck with that chaotic, like handheld camera type of shit that just makes fight scenes entirely crazy and incoherent. It's a minor complaint and you're right, the writing, plot and characters were great. I wish they would have used some more steady shots though.

JMarkJohns
05-18-2008, 01:38 PM
I think that's just preference. I love that type of camera work. Byeond the gaffe with Holmes as eye candy for the Dawes role, I can't think of a flaw. Definitely the best superhero action flick since the orginal two Batman flicks.

Holmes as eye candy for thr Dawes role was a mistake for one of two reasons. First, if you're going for eye candy and are willing to take mediocre acting, there are better options than Holmes. Two, the eye candy aspect wasn't necessary. Nobody was watching the film for Holmes' eye candy character, anyways. Get a good looking, bur better capable actress (like Gyllenhaal) and keep to the theme of a well-acted, character-driven plot.

I agree with you on every other point made about recent superhero schlock, save for Iron Man. I thought it was a solid B/B+ venture. That's what I expected going in...

Spiderman 3 was a big disappointment, as was Spiderman 2 - and i didn't even really care for Spiderman, either.

I don't care enough about Fantastic 4 to sit through those atrocities.

Superman looked terrible in preview, so I never saw it.

Hulk was a disaster, by and large, and the Norton venture doesn't look much better.

Punisher wasn't bad, save for Travolta. I can't stand that guy. Overall, "wasn't bad" doesn't mean it was good. C+ or B-, at best.

Spawn was solid, but I remember it fondly largely because it's soundtrack was so freakin' awesome.

From Batman Forever until that series' demise, they were terrible.

The Crow kicked major ass, but the sequels weren't very memorable, if even watchable, though The Crow: City Of Angels had a great soundtrack as well.

That's all the old comic/superhero flicks I can recall. Most were garbage, save for Burton's Batmans, The Crow and, if watchable = good, Iron Man, Spawn, Spiderman and, maybe, Punisher.

J.T.
05-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Just saw FSM and in my opinion, Apatow productions has a pretty good business model for summer movies.

2007 - Knocked Up, the romantic "real-life" comedy comes out in early summer. In late summer they put out Superbad, the funniest movie of the year.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is 2008's "Knocked Up"

Pineapple Express will be 2008's "Superbad"

spursfor5
05-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Ironman was awesome. Nowhere near the best ever but probably the best this year pr one of them. It wasn't your typical superhero movie and was definitely pretty funny.

manufor3
05-18-2008, 05:00 PM
iron man

UKYwSKOlKpKE4gLZyajnCQ

JMarkJohns
05-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Just saw FSM and in my opinion, Apatow productions has a pretty good business model for summer movies.

2007 - Knocked Up, the romantic "real-life" comedy comes out in early summer. In late summer they put out Superbad, the funniest movie of the year.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is 2008's "Knocked Up"

Pineapple Express will be 2008's "Superbad"

Apatow barely did anything for FSM as far as lend his money and name. It was all Jason Segal, the main character of the film. With Rogan writing Superbad and Pineapple Express and Segal writing Forgetting Sarah Marshall, the actors that Apatow used at his beginnings (each starred in Undeclared, Knocked Up), are more than carrying the torch as far as writing goes.

peewee's lovechild
05-19-2008, 07:19 AM
This was his best performance since Cobra. And that's saying a lot.

:lmao

peewee's lovechild
05-19-2008, 07:22 AM
I even thought the last Batman could have been moderately better.

You're an idiot and you have no credibility.

peewee's lovechild
05-19-2008, 07:23 AM
I was just talking shit in a frenzy about Superman which made me pessimistic to begin with and I think I've seen it too many times. I thought it was very good no doubt, certainly the best in the past 5 years. I didn't like the camera work though. I think it was the same guy that shot the Bourne series and he stuck with that chaotic, like handheld camera type of shit that just makes fight scenes entirely crazy and incoherent. It's a minor complaint and you're right, the writing, plot and characters were great. I wish they would have used some more steady shots though.

You're making no sense here.

Comparing the camera work of BB to the Bourne series???

Seriously, stop posting.

peewee's lovechild
05-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Spawn was solid, but I remember it fondly largely because it's soundtrack was so freakin' awesome.

Spawn???

Are you serious???

That was an abortion of a movie. Fuck, aborted movies were aborting that movie.

That was the shittiest adaptation of a comic book ever.

The only thing thats remotely worth watching in that cinematic abortion was Leguizamo's portrayal of the clown.

But, fuck was that movie awful.

Mister Sinister
05-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm going to say Iron Man, despite the fact that A) Everything is Tony's fault, and B) Tony killed Cap, and everybody knows it.

JMarkJohns
05-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Spawn???

Are you serious???

That was an abortion of a movie. Fuck, aborted movies were aborting that movie.

That was the shittiest adaptation of a comic book ever.

The only thing thats remotely worth watching in that cinematic abortion was Leguizamo's portrayal of the clown.

But, fuck was that movie awful.

Like I said, the soundtrack was awesome, so I may be confusing a quality movie with my enjoyment of the soundtrack. I haven't seen the film in a dozen years. It's amazing you different one's taste is when they are 14/15 versus 26...

Trainwreck2100
05-19-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm going to say Iron Man, despite the fact that A) Everything is Tony's fault, and B) Tony killed Cap, and everybody knows it.

when that shit's retconned will you like Tony again?

balli
05-19-2008, 11:44 AM
You're an idiot and you have no credibility.

You're making no sense here.

Comparing the camera work of BB to the Bourne series???

Seriously, stop posting.

Seriously, you're going to talk shit like that to me over Batman Begins? Who the fuck are you? Are you butthurt for any other reason than your boyfriend reaming your ass too hard last night? Well don't take that shit out on me you fucking bitch.

It took me about two seconds to google up a comparison between the two movies' fight scenes BTW, so apparently I'm not the only one who saw similarities. Even if I had been wrong, why over that issue though, you'd choose to call me an idiot with no credibility who should stop posting is beyond me.

The fight scenes in Batman Begins are generally more low-key than those in Iron Man, but they are also more realistic. It's a bit like watching the Bourne movies
http://kurticusmaximus.blogspot.com/2008/05/final-tally-iron-man-vs-batman-begins.html

You're a fucking pussy peewee. I've never said shit to or about you in my life. I'm sorry you disagreed with me about Batman Begins, but in the future if you're bound to be such a gaping fucking asshole about something so trivial, why don't stop and instead keep your fucking mouth shut!

peewee's lovechild
05-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Seriously, you're going to talk shit like that to me over Batman Begins? Who the fuck are you? Are you butthurt for any other reason than your boyfriend reaming your ass too hard last night? Well don't take that shit out on me you fucking bitch.

It took me about two seconds to google up a comparison between the two movies' fight scenes BTW, so apparently I'm not the only one who saw similarities. Even if I had been wrong, why over that issue though, you'd choose to call me an idiot with no credibility who should stop posting is beyond me.

http://kurticusmaximus.blogspot.com/2008/05/final-tally-iron-man-vs-batman-begins.html

You're a fucking pussy peewee. I've never said shit to or about you in my life. I'm sorry you disagreed with me about Batman Begins, but in the future if you're bound to be such a gaping fucking asshole about something so trivial, why don't stop and instead keep your fucking mouth shut!

First of all, I want to preface this by saying that you're a stupid fuck.

Secondly, I'd like to point out that you probably have child molestation issues.

But, back to the topic at hand.

Shitface, you said that the camera work was similar to that in the Bourne series. I called you out as being an idiot for saying that, and I was right.

Comparing a constantly moving camera that moves so much to the point where it makes you nauceous to a steady camera such as the one used by Nolan in Bataman Begins is just beyond stupidity.

Also, you dumb shit, you posted a link to a blog. A fucking blog!!!!
That's some dumbshit, much like yourself, posting random thoughts about what he/she thought on the movies.

It's no one credible.

And, to expose your precious point, the blogger in question said that the "fight scenes" in both movies are similar because of realism, not because of the camera work.

You really are a stupid shit.

If you want to prove a point, at least look for a source that backs up your point.

Congratulations, you look like the douche bag you are.

Mister Sinister
05-19-2008, 12:59 PM
when that shit's retconned will you like Tony again?
Shut up! Shut up with your talk of Quesada-Magic, damn you! :lol Seriously, though, I like Tony as a character, but I definitely would have sided with Cap in Civil War.

Trainwreck2100
05-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Shut up! Shut up with your talk of Quesada-Magic, damn you! :lol Seriously, though, I like Tony as a character, but I definitely would have sided with Cap in Civil War.

It's not magic, and they already did it w/ spidey

Mister Sinister
05-19-2008, 01:34 PM
It's not magic, and they already did it w/ spidey
I know, man. I read One More Day. I wish I hadn't, but I did. :lol Quesada-Magic is just a term a friend and I use for retcons....speaking of, "It's magic, we don't have to explain it."